Stunt show in Hollywoodland

So I'm assuming that it's understood that the 'backlot' area of Hollywoodland is just a blank canvas ready to be turned into something attractive. Honestly, if they razed the entire area and replaced it with a few appropriately themed attractions, I don't think anyone would see anything worthwhile being lost (as much as I love the Muppets and their theater, the attraction just doesn't, well, attract).
    The whole Monstropolis Idea and the door coaster is constantly talked about, and while it would fit in with the rest of Pixarland, wouldn't something more...hollywoody work better?

A large-scale stunt show (like Universal's Waterworld, or DHS's Indiana Jones) seems like it would fit in with the era perfectly. Heck, they could make it a western one, and bring in both the Lone Ranger and Zorro, if a movie tie-in is required. Disney did a car stunt show in Paris (and again in Orlando) and did the Indiana Jones one in Orlando (which was quite a bit better than I had expected). Have they ever done one in Anaheim?

Re: Stunt show in Hollywoodland

Stunt shows generally have massive arenas and have only gone to resorts where space is not an issue (Paris and Orlando). I don't see them being worth the room they'd require personally.

Streetmosphere is another story.

I'm sure they could implement something within the useless stage 17. I agree with Rave though with the size needed to show a stunt show. If you look at all the DHS shows they take up a large amount of area. Which is would be one thing to find in that area of the park. But I'm sure they could still do more of a special effects show where they can show some tricks from previous movies.

like others have said, a stunt show would take up a lot of space. also, stunt shows are more a part of modern day hollywood, rather than 1940s hollywood.

personally, i think that backlot space should go to a new ride or too, but if they were to put another show i'd like to see a small slapstick comedy show, a la buster keaton. i know this type of film predates the 1940s by a decade or two, but in relative terms, it would work pretty well in the old hollywood theme. maybe put it in a theater where you can have shows during the day, and bands & swing dancing at night.

• Minion

I'd love to see a stunt show, but I'm just not convinced (yet) that it'd fit in with whatever synergy they have going on in the backlot. It's all so cheesy and cartoony that I can't see anything particularly adult fitting in back there. Even Mad T Party thrives on cartoon or cartoon-like imagery. Something real like Waterworld (which I LOVE) or Indiana Jones would clash.

• Diva Extrodinaire

I'd love a Zorro stunt show in a Latin-themed area.
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

Quote Originally Posted by thedustycoyote View Post
    but if they were to put another show i'd like to see a small slapstick comedy show, a la buster keaton.
    OSHA would never allow something like that, those guys were nuts (train jumping, free climbing skyskrapers, etc) :-p

• Senior Minion

When I hear "stunt show" I think of Universal. To me, Disney doing stunt shows would be just another example of the creative laziness it has exhibited since it began copying Universal's "Ride the Movies" paradigm per Michael's mandate that "Disneyland is all about turning Movies into Rides."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Singing Drinker

I have a suspicion this is price and liability.

Movie shows are cheap. Paying one or two actors to plus up the experience in non-stunt ways (Sweetums in Muppets for instance) is much cheaper than paying a full cast to perform. Plus, the per-show reset fee is by default going to be much lower when your show is on film than when you're having to pay for a variety of fireworks, squibs, gas explosions etc. that a full stunt show would likely include.

Liability is a connected but slightly different issue. On a smaller circuit, at Renaissance Faires a Joust is more or less mandatory to be taken seriously. At one point these were mostly home-grown troupes performing at their home events, but over time a variety of reasons led to the current situation where the majority of events host independently contracted troupes. With that, the faire offloads a huge chunk of variables - if they're not your employees but are merely your contractees, the nasty stuff gets dumped on the employer and not you.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• Master of Disaster

the stunt show at knotts has LONG been one of my favorite things! I always thought that they could fit something similar into Frontierland. However the Hollywood idea works as well. I do think it is possible to do a stunt show without a lot of pyro. Either way... the hollywood area needs a large outdoor stage if you ask me!

Save them for Universal, where they pretty much lost their popularity by the late 90's

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Disney did plan a stunt show for Disneyland at one time but my knowledge of it is scarce, it was part of Disney Decade

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."