Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to do with the Muppets

It looks as though, for better or for worse, we will soon be losing the beloved-but-dated Muppet Vision 3D to (most likely) Monstropolis. To me the decision makes sense and is an easy one to make, especially considering the E-ticket Door Coaster is about as surefire of a hit attraction as the imagineers could think up. While these developments are exciting, it does leave the parks without one of the longstanding staples; The Muppets.

A couple years ago, we got a glimpse at how the Muppets can be and still are popular in today's market with "The Muppets," and with a sequel in the works it appears that they are gonna stick around for a bit. But now there will not be any attraction to house them, and they will likely live on only through park merchandise. So the question becomes, what should Disneyland do with the Muppets?

I have a couple ideas, but the one I seem to like the most is a dinner theatre idea. Something where people can make reservations for a meal and enjoy a show with live-action Muppets as they dine. The theatre would not even have to be in one of the parks, necessarily, but even just in Downtown Disney so that locals can get in on the action. Showings could be subject to demand with the ebbs and flows of the seasons, and the show could change pending on seasonal celebrations as well. I can see the marquee now, advertising the new Muppet Theatre presentation of "The Frog Who Came to Dinner."

What other ideas do you have for finding a home for The Muppets?
    Everyone has a Laffin' Place!

• Future Imagineer

Re: What to do with the Muppets

- Replace It's tough to be a Bug with a Muppet Show Tonight (3D) show and have Hollywood Land takeover Bug's land for a Great Movie Ride.
    - Add a Muppets themed restaurant somewhere (my vote would be to replace Disney Jr.)
    - Use the unused Carsland area for a Muppets attraction or area (Great Muppet Movie Ride anyone)
    - Have a live show featuring Muppets
    - Have a meet and greet (featuring live Muppets, not the costumed characters, like what they did in New York)
    - Add a Muppet segment to World of Color (Rainbow Connections anyone?)
    - Add a Muppet dark ride to Paradise Pier (themed appropriately, of course)
    - Replace the video in the Bakery Tour with one starring the Muppets
    - Have the Muppets takeover the world!

• I can't stand you.

Just update the film and the over all theater.

• Singing Drinker

They very likely won't bolster the Muppet presence until something Muppety takes off a little more substantially.

Right now the franchise is still in flux. I've recently been on a bender watching the complete series and own (and have been watching) the movies so they're a little fresh in mind.

Right now Disney can't even decide on the right tone for the Muppets let alone how they interface with a larger film or TV project consistently. It's going to kill the franchise if they don't fix it.

I enjoyed The Muppets well enough, but tonally it's closer to Animaniacs than Muppets. If they're going to continue down that path, it's got potential and wouldn't be the first major tonal shift the franchise has been given (SNL Muppets f'r example. No, seriously). If they continue that path, the ride/film's jarringly out of synch with the very modern style. If they're going another direction, the same issue could apply.

I love that thing. I have probably been through MuppetVision DCA more times than any other ride in the park, possibly even more times than the other rides combined (you may be able to tell when I started going...). But right now, it's out of step with the current versions of the characters out there, it's taking up space that is marked for redevelopment, and whether for creative or whatever other reasons Disney seems to have no ideas for the area other than "close it down and use it for another movie preview center".

All that as a preamble, I am relatively certain we're going to see the Muppets bow out of DCA. Whether they come back or not is almost definitely tied to the future of the movies and TV shows the franchise pumps out. If they hit and are huge, they'll come back. If not...
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Diva Extrodinaire

Re-do the movie: Muppet Show 4D. Update the shop, maybe work on a new meet-and-greet or small show. That's it.
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

Quote Originally Posted by Right Ear View Post
    - Replace It's tough to be a Bug with a Muppet Show Tonight (3D) show and have Hollywood Land takeover Bug's land for a Great Movie Ride.
    What!?! No. That show is adorable!!!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

• Future Imagineer

^I'm not saying the show is bad (it is very good), it's just that it would make since to replace a 3D show with another one rather than build another 4D theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Ear View Post
    ^I'm not saying the show is bad (it is very good), it's just that it would make since to replace a 3D show with another one rather than build another 4D theater.
    Totally understand. Though, I must say, after skipping this show before and finally seeing it - it's a hidden gem! I got such a kick out of it (and my group did too, when I screamed very LOUDLY in a couple moments in that show! LOL)
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    If they continue that path, the ride/film's jarringly out of synch with the very modern style. If they're going another direction, the same issue could apply.
    I haven't seen much with the Muppets past "The Great Muppet Caper," despite loving the original run of "The Muppet Show." It's probably hard for people to realize but "The Muppet Movie" was an out-of-nowhere mainstream smash hit -- one of those movies that plays strongly for several months or more as word of mouth gets around. Even my parents (and other friends' parents) eventually went to see it because *their* friends and coworkers were saying how much fun it was (like "Star Wars" had done a few years before that). That awful word "edgy" gets batted around way too much, but a movie where Kermit is pursued by the owner of a chain of frog-legs restaurants to be their spokesman ("I keep thinking of all those poor frogs on crutches!") is really something else.

• No Disassemble!

Update "Soarin' Over California" with "Soarin' With Pigs in Spaaaaaace".
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

While I don't see Bug's Land going anywhere anytime soon (it got too much of a boost from Cars Land), the possibility of It's Tough to Be a Bug being re-purposed is not a far fetched idea. I don't think they'd do the Muppets though, sorry. If anything, the Muppets belong across the esplanade in Disney proper, realistically along Main Street somewhere. They are as Americana as you can get in my mind. No idea how you would accomplish that. Barring that, I'd rather see them take over Disney Junior with a live show. I feel that interactiveness of the live muppet is missing from MuppetVision (Sweetums aside).

I still have slim hope they won't Monstropolize the Hollywood backlot. I have this dream of a somewhat understandable shift in themes (one that not many seem to share), and even in my haphazard justifications there isn't room for Monsters. Buena Vista leading to Hollywoodland leading to bygone San Bernardino Farms (Bug's Land) to the Route 66 cutaway that take you through the mountains up and around to land you around San Francisco's Pacific Wharf where you have a boardwalk Paradise Pier and can take a journey under the sea on your way back down through the mountains along Grizzly Peak to the desert landing strips North of Hollywood on your way back to Buena Vista St. I can't figure out how to wiggle Monstropolis in there. It just doesn't work.

• Nutty about Disney parks

MuppetVision is a great show but is sadly dated thanks to the CGI nuisance known as Waldo. One option is to update the show with new segments and ideas. But to really immortalize it, a dark ride is the best way to go. I have proposed in other threads that a Muppets dark ride similar to Mystic Manor could be a potential hit if done right.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by lightofdarkness View Post
    I still have slim hope they won't Monstropolize the Hollywood backlot. I have this dream of a somewhat understandable shift in themes (one that not many seem to share), and even in my haphazard justifications there isn't room for Monsters. Buena Vista leading to Hollywoodland leading to bygone San Bernardino Farms (Bug's Land) to the Route 66 cutaway that take you through the mountains up and around to land you around San Francisco's Pacific Wharf where you have a boardwalk Paradise Pier and can take a journey under the sea on your way back down through the mountains along Grizzly Peak to the desert landing strips North of Hollywood on your way back to Buena Vista St. I can't figure out how to wiggle Monstropolis in there. It just doesn't work.
    No offense but they can go the DisneySea route where some of the attractions can have little to no connection to the overall theme of the park (like LM or Bug's land), but fit the theme of the land their in. Hollywood land could adjust its theme to be about Hollywood and movies and be divided up to represent those aspects. Monstropolis could work as monsterized version of LA-San Diego and use the door tech they have to transport the humans into their world, or something along those lines. No matter what happens, the Imagineers will do a great job regardless.

I think it would be sad to see muppetvision go its one my all time favourite attractions.

Maybe an updated movie could replace EO in tomorrowland together with a Muppet labs dark ride?

Id also love dr Bunsen and beaker to replace Ellen over at Epcot

• cigaminc

Your ideas are fantastic...Name:  hat mandrini line drawing large business card 2 resized down and centered.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  85.2 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast