DCA Morning planning question

This is my first time posting so I will apologize in advance for any mistakes I might make. We are planning on being at DCA on Friday August 16th, regular park opening being 8:00 am, it is an extra magic hour day that we are unfortunately not able to utilize. Last year when we were there on the exact same Friday and they did a rope drop type admission and let the general population in at 7:30 a half hour before official park opening, contained to BVS and allowing my husband to line up for RSR fastpasses. My question is two fold, are they still doing this rope drop half hour before park opening entrance and allowing people to line up for RSR fastpasses? And is arriving at the gates an hour before this opening still necessary? I'm sure that DCA mornings are still very busy but maybe they are slightly less crazed than last year, my husband would appreciate the extra sleep lol! Thank you for any help you can offer.

• Rock Star Minion

Re: DCA Morning planning question

They did the "rope drop" on June 8 of this year.
    They don't let anyone in line for attractions, but you can get in line for the RSR FastPass.

An hour before is not necessary if you don't want to go on RSR. I recommend it. Especially if it's on one of its breaking-down days. You'll want to get on asap. our fastpass was for about 1.5 hours after the park officially opened. Went on other four rides in that time.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I agree with sediment. You will still be able to get in line for RSR fastpasses half an hour early, but you don't need to be there an hour before. Even if you show up at 7:15 I imagine you would still get in pretty quickly and be able to get in line, and the line moves so quickly that I can't imagine it would be a problem.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Gradysmom View Post
    my husband would appreciate the extra sleep lol!
    Ooh, nip any thought of "sleeping in" in the bud if you want to do the E-tickets without lines. The earliest you can get in will be the least busy time you will see in either park if you're going during the summer.

I was just there a week ago, and we got there a half hour before and got in line outside of the gates. Then, about 10 to, they brought us in - either into the line for RSR fast passes (which is where we were) or behind the rope. I still think it's the best way to do it, otherwise, RSR fast passes run out pretty quickly.

In our case, the ride broke down prior to the rope drop, though we didn't find out until they opened the park and our fast pass line was going nowhere. We waited for a while, then left our pregnant friend to wait for the tickets while we did rides she could not go on. Once we got back, the ride was back up, but the fast pass machines were broken. Two hours of waiting (though, we made use of that time with her in line) and then they finally gave each of us 2 fast passes for the ride, with one to be used at any time. We were thankful they were so apologetic. Crossing fingers the ride, which is temperamental, doesn't cause any problems for your trip!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

Thank you all so much for the info, exactly what I needed to know!

On our trip last month, we got in line at 7:30, they let us in around 7:45 and we went straight into the RSR fast pass line. We had our passes by 8:15/8:20 with a 10:30 return time and then explored Cars Land (our first time seeing it). We were able to do Luigi's tires and the Mater ride with no wait. We also got in some of Bug's Land and a ride on the Red Car Trolley before the return time. Have fun!