Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

The Optimist: Disney's WDI/WED Tomorrowland Movie ARG - Summary and Recap

MiceChatters,

Disney announced "The Optimist", a 6 week Alternate Reality Game (ARG), which will use real and fake parts of WED/WDI history. An alternate reality game is one that's uses the real world as a platform, but it contains fake characters.

I'm really into it, so I'm going to use this thread to keep us up to date on what's going on!

IC = In Character - Aspects of discovery that relate to the story, as if the world were real.
    OOC = Out of Character - Going behind the curtain on the game, to either figure out more clues, or to expose things that Disney has had to change/fix

Week 1, Day 1

IC: Today we discovered Amelia, a undergrad college student from Rhode Island - who is planning on doing a documentary on her grandfather, Carlos. We know that the grandfather wrote a story "Orbit's Story" that was sold to Disney. She lives with her mother, and works at a video store.

IC: She posted a picture on her blog of a WED letter that her grandfather received, telling him to come to New York to talk with Walt, and see the Future Projects department.

IC: Later that night, she posted a handful of pictures. We see it's a small world, Rolly Crump's Tower of the Four Winds, Walt testing the Magic Skyway, and there's a phone number - (607)-218-5820 with a note "Follow up with Lott (?) about special work on iasw." This is clearly it's a small world. If you call the number, you get the voicemail of Lott Family Construction, leading to the website Lott Family Construction. The 'Our History' page specifically leads to Michael T. Lott, who worked with WED. There's an email address on the Contact Us page - I'm going to email it!

OOC: There's an address on the Lott Family Construction page: 1309 North Aurora Street
    Ithaca, NY 10605 - However, it looks to be falsified. Can't find any information or land records on the address - and it's one of the few streets on Google Maps without Street View, plus based on the numbering - it would be off the street.

OOC: Also looks like they corrected the Lott Family Construction page. It originally said "Carousel of Progress", but it wasn't called that at the World's Fair - it was called Progressland. They fixed the typo: Our Clients | Lott Family Construction

OOC: All sites appear to be Wordpress powered, and using Piwik for analytics. Domains are registered through GoDaddy, with no distinct nameservers set. Most were registered in May - so this has been a couple of months in the works.

Week 1, Day 2 (July 9th)

IC: I got an awesome shout out from Amelia today, I was the first to find the information about the Lott family. She says she's setup an interview, so we'll see how that goes...

IC: I received a reply from Lott Construction Company:
    Dear Hastin,

I know a lot of people, but his name is not ringing a bell. Can you be more specific?

Yours truly,

Michael T. Lott

--

Lott Family Construction, LLC

1309 North Aurora Street

Ithaca, NY 10605

(607) 218-5820

--

This e-mail and the information it contains may be confidential and privileged and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee. If you have received this message in error please inform the sender immediately, delete all copies, do not disclose the contents to any other person or take any action based on them. If you're a client and need to access your files online, type our website, a slash, then your project code to view your documents.
    Note the last line! It's a hint - we need a project code. There's lots of other posted replies in the Comments. I replied to his email.

Also, there's an interesting letter that popped up in the comments. It might be 'fan' red herring, or it could be legit. Something that Ford Motor Company canceled. Our own Bob Gurr appears to be involved in this. Interestingly, this letter says "Mitchell S. Lott", and that name isn't on the company's family page. I just emailed Michael about this, to see if he knew who Mitchell is. Also, Bob Gurr built King Kong for Universal Studios Hollywood, might relate to the "Project Gorilla"?

OOC: I seriously doubt that Disney would even come close to mentioning Universal in this ARG.

IC: In addition, someone found this letter on the webserver. From Disney to Nixon - we all know that Nixon christened Bob Gurr's monorail. Bob Gurr seems to keep coming up.

IC: Finally, Amelia posted this letter. Not too much here, but look at the signature. It might be Gurr's signature, but the start of it looks nothing like the signature he did in my book or on my Monorail poster.

Lot's of weird dead ends today. We need that project name!

OOC: There's a fun error that our own CaptPheobus pointed out, the ZIP code on the letter. ZIP codes were not invented/used until the 60s.

Week 1, Day 3 (July 10th)

A whole load of stuff today:

IC: A new site found - Disney Cartography - Contains some artwork by Wallace - a huge Disney fan. He is going to be presenting at the D23 Expo, and there's a live call on the 6th at 6:30PM. There's 5 pieces of 'Art', including iasw, Primeval World, CoP, the Tam 'o Shanter (with EPCOT the City on the table), and Mr. Lincoln.

IC: Amelia posted a new thing: A napkin from the Tam 'O Shater - It says "Follow up on 'Signal Flag'". Another phone number on it, that works! It's a WED prototype voicemail system, and it needs a code. The code is today's date: 0710

Here's a transcript of what the message says:

These are the minutes for the worlds fair special projects team meeting for April 19, 1964.

In old business, change (?) for Lott Family Construction regarding access to ‘small world’ secure area is approved as of April 13.
    Final signal flag installation has been successful and is ready for private demonstrations at the World’s Fair as of April 14.
    Final adjustments to accommodate the advancements to Lincoln may require a 2 week delay as of April 18.

In new business, the future of the exhibits post fair were discussed at length. Need to arrange transportation to Flushing Meadows for Carlos to discuss additional work for tomorrow. Walt’s office to set up meeting with Hughes (!?) at the temporary offices in Queens.
    Patent applications to be put on hold for the following: auto apparatus, signal flag and the Mark Zero project.

All are integral to the future of ‘The City,’ however this information should not yet be available to the public. Due to recent security concerns, all further developments of the city will be conducted under a new confidential project name and corresponding conference number.

To access future meeting minutes, please use the appropriate conference number and code.

This concludes the meeting minutes for April 19, 1964.
    I have a feeling that we're talking EPCOT here. The auto apparatus, signal flag and the Mark Zero project seem to be related to transportation some how, maybe the Monorails? We're also now looking for another phone number, and conference code.

What we need: New conference number, new conference code, and the Lott Family Construction project code.

OOC: Looks like they've pulled the sites down temporarily tonight, I saw the various Wordpresses drop into Maintenance Mode before going down. They seem to be reviewing comments now, especially those with picture uploads. They want to prevent any fan red-herrings it would seem. Downtime could also indicate a major content update coming.

Week 1, Day 4 (July 11th)

IC: After communicating with Lott Family Construction, and calling him out on the project - someone got an email attachment with a letter.

I did some modifications to the image, but I can't make out the word before 'Signal Flag'. The other projects from the voicemail from yesterday are all mentioned here. I emailed Lott to ask him straight up about the 'signal flag'. Twitters suggest it may be 'operation'.

We also got confirmation from Wallace that the Tam 'O Shanter art features Walt, Mary Blair, John Hence, and Bob Gurr (there's Gurr's name again!).

IC: HOLY CRAP! Flickr user _BigK_ went over to the Tam O' Shanter, and had a seat at Table 31 (Walt's table). All kinds of scratches we're found in the table, with some codes. Lott, Carlos, and others are mentioned. All projects are scratched into it, including 'The City' (Progressland). In addition, the DisneyCartography poster was hanging in The Smug. I kinda want to go there for Dinner tomorrow to check it out for myself.

Codes found:

02/14 = 0B1G - it's a small world
    05/16 = 0L1N - Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
    01/22 = 01BC - Primeval World

We're missing the code for Progressland.

These dates relate to the Telephone keypad. For example, 2 has ABC on it, and 5 has JKL. Still not sure if these are the the project code we need for the Lott Family Construction site or not. I have a feeling these relate to the Voicemail system that was mentioned in the last phone number that we got.

IC: Amelia posted something about her Mom today, doesn't seem to relate to anything. We might be losing her sources soon - or something else if she tells her mom.

OOC: I think it's awesome that the Tam 'O Shanter played along. Amelia's blog is starting to suffer from a Spam problem. Better get that Akismet going, Disney!

Now that the real world is fair game, I wonder if there's anything hung in Disneyland. I want to check out Innoventions and other areas for clues tomorrow. I bet the 'Carousel of Progress' poster has the code it in. The 'Three bells start our revolution' might be a clue as well.

Week 1, Day 5 (July 12th)

IC: Okay! So Amelia wanted to thank us for providing some suggestions, and helping her on her quest. She's going to send out some Records 'at random' to users who have shared their address. What a nice gesture!

OOC: I bet these Records are what kickoff Week 2 of the game, there's clearly something on them.

OOC: Looks like the first week is over. The first recap post has been made, and we're still stuck at an impasse. We have some codes, and we know the Lott site needs a project code. Let's hope those records hold a clue for next week.

I've enjoyed it so far! I was shocked that it hit a physical location already - generally ARGs wait with some time to do it. I hope the payoff at Expo is worth it!

Look for another post in this thread for Week 2!

Week 1, Day 6 & 7 (July 13th and 14th)

IC:Okay! So we did have some stuff over the weekend. Amelia posted a brochure from Progressland - with some code on it. The community found it was Gregg Shorthand, and quickly decoded it to:

Wernher/11:30

Bradbury/1:00

Howard/3:30 – ? May need to reschedule
    The next day, Amelia confirmed it. What could it mean? Well, I have a feeling it relates to the day of the meeting - for the minutes of the meeting that we still need to pull off the answering machine.

Week 2, Day 1 (July 15th)

IC: Nothing much so far today. Amelia posted a video of her asking her mom about Carlos. Doesn't appear to be much in the video - besides her doing the dishes, and some beautiful cats:

OOC: Doesn't appear like anyone got records yet - Disney was smart to include Cats in the video. Internet loves Cats in videos!

Week 2, Day 2 (July 16th)

IC: Amelia posted a script from her Grandfather, and it sounds amazing. It talks of the agents of F.U.T.U.R.E., and a Magical Map (not Mickey's) that has lights and wires all over it. The idea really relates to Wallace's Small World poster, connecting the world. It talks about a map and it's clues.

OOC: I wonder if this is real, and we'll be able to see this map. I bet the weird F/U logo we keep seeing on the posters, at the Tam, etc - is the symbol of F.U.T.U.R.E.

Week 2, Day 3 (July 17th)

IC: Happy Birthday Disneyland! Not much today. Amelia posted an overview of stuff from the World's Fair. Doesn't look to be any clues inside of it.

Week 2, Day 4 (July 18th)
    IC: JACKPOT! Amelia posted this awesome "VIP Script" from It's a Small World that Carlos write. It specifically talks about the Cell Phones/communication devices that are shown in Wallace's poster. The concept was that a VIP riding it's a small world would hear this script OVER the music. Could that have been the function of the 'Signal Flag' - to flag a VIP boat, like the old shiny PVC pipes in the old Small World boats?

IC: Okay, Wallace just posted a map of Tomorrowland. There are some odd things about this map. First, it references the 'Carpark' on Autopia - which wasn't added until 2000. Also, it has the NEW Tomorrowland logo on the Monorail platform. In addition, there's another 'special marker' near the flag pole on Submarine Voyage. I have a feeling these are clues, and I'm going to go to the park after work to see if they are still there.

OOC: We just rode Autopia on Sunday, and I didn't see anything. There's GOT to be stuff added in for the game at these locations. I bet that the Tomorrowland sign on the platform (which used to advertise the hotels) has something on it. Hopefully we get something from this so we can advance. We're still missing the Lott Family Construction code, and the WED minutes Voicemail number.

OOC: We have [fairly legit] confirmation that this is about Tomorrowland - the movie. This photo was found on the Story Orbit site. This is the same box that was teased when Tomorrowland was announced/changed names. Notice that it has the F/U logo on it as well, same as the maps, same as Wallace's posters. Excited to see what this brings to Expo.

OOC: Okay, I went to the park and got the clues. First up was the Monorail Platform, above the Tomorrowland sign is something added - that is reflective and only appears with a flash:

The image and the number, relate to a patent on Circarama and Circlevision.

Second was the Autopia, which had another patent number added to the Midget Autopia plaque:

This patent is for a Rocket Ship Amusement device, which looks like Rocket to the Moon.

The flags on the Submarine Voyage were swapped out as well:

The comments quickly decoded this to discover another US Patent:

This is a patent for Audio-Frequency Display Lighting. Essentially, you could have a 3-track tape play audio, and it would light a sign's red/blue/green bulbs. Like an early LCD screen.

These are some great finds, and there's clearly progress. But I have no real idea how this relates to the overall game. More dead ends, and unless we're not seeing something - there's nothing to really 'advance' with these!

Week 2, Day 5 (July 19th)
    IC: Nothing much today. Amelia did some tweets about the progress we found, and she wanted to go out and shoot some B-roll footage. She's excited to get started.

Week 2, Day 6 (July 20th)
    IC: Amelia posted about our findings, but not what they mean. People started getting the records, and told us about a 'double groove' on the track.

Week 2, Day 7 (July 21st)
    IC: Poor Amelia got a flat tire, driving out to shoot some b-roll footage of the World's Fair site. We discover that she's got a friend, Vivian.

OOC: Could Vivian be the 'other girl' from the leaked plot line of 'Tomorrowland' the movie? We were told it was about a girl finding a wonderful place.

Week 3, Day 1 (July 22nd)

IC: Amelia posted a track recording of the 'hidden grooves' on the records. Side A appears to match up to the CURRENT Carousel of Progress in Florida - with new dialog dubbed in. Side B appears to match the Primeval World diorama from the Disneyland Railroad. I haven't had a chance to go to the park and see if this leads to any more clues.

OOC: It really irks me that this matches the 1994 re-do of the CoP. First of all, the timings were different than the '64 version, and all kinds other things. I get it, they had to match the audio - but this is one of the largest anachronisms yet. Same with the train. The "Thanks for joining us" was added with the speil re-do in 2004.

IC: JDisneyD posted an awesome transcription of how the audio overlaps the attraction. Much easier than trying to sync the tracks. There's some neat info in here about 'free power', and the 'society'. This could be 'the city' that Walt wanted to build! Sounds neat.

Week 3, Day 2 (July 23rd)

IC: Amelia posted an interesting list, which includes the project code that unlocks the Lott Family site.

The List: First, the list mentions Nixon (the leaked letter we found from before), and the Monorail - and Bob Gurr again. Also mentions the expansion to Tomorrowland - the Autopia, and Monorail.

The Blueprints: Lots of fun information here. Looks like there was a portal system, to this city. Each of the three projects AND patents are mentioned:

Auto Apparatus: Shown on the Blueprint of the Rocket to the Moon building. RTTM was designed to be a "supra-transit" trainer, which would show you your travel status. The figures match up to those in the patent that we found before.

Mark 0: This is the Circarama patent. But, it was actually designed to be a Holographic Virtual Reality projection system. Each of the figures in the patent is explained. Esentially, this could create virtual worlds - like an early Holideck.

Signal Flag: Is actually a portal device. The (T.A.P.E.) deck that was referenced in the patent is the portal controller. Each imaged described is part of the portal grid.

OOC: Okay, these descriptions are getting really 'out there'. However, I really like the way they integrated these descriptions with the actual patents. Nice touch. We still don't have that phone number!

IC: Amelia posted a fun little recap of all the stuff we found.

OOC: After reading the papers and listening to the record - it's clear they are setting up the world of 'Tomorrowland' in the movie. For ARG purposes, the things that WED built in Disneyland were to prepare us for living or transporting to that world. It's getting a little far-fetched, but sometimes these things do.

Week 3, Day 3 (July 24th)

IC: Bob Gurr's own article at MiceChat mentions the same travel trip as the To Do list, could he be involved? Many people asked him on the post - but he didn't have an idea. Some people thought that Amelia had asked people to reply here on MC to him - but she (and a few others) we're hacked in some sort of way. She fixed her blog, and we're back in the search!

OOC: I thought Bob Gurr had played one on us, specifically mentioning an item from the list. Especially after 'Amelia' posted for people to come here. However, I knew something was up - why would Disney bring it to a site like ours? They didn't. Since Disney didn't keep the name field for every post, someone was posting 'as' Amelia. So, Disney modified the style so her comments show with a special background. Someone posted as me as well, hopefully the user has been banned from the game.

IC: Not much clue wise today. We have a recap of the goings on, and that's about it.

Week 3, Day 4 (July 25th)

IC: Amazing day! Wallace posted another one of his maps - so we've got some destinations to visit. Knowing that this amazing world is out there, I'm blowing most of the day off work to explore them tomorrow. We have a tight window to meet at 21 Royal Street tomorrow - 8:15 to 8:20. Some people have already visited some of the destinations, and have gotten flyers for recruiting, with the same T/U logos that we've seen in Wallace's posters.

Amelia posted a video of her mom, talking about a story from her grandfather. A child is explained, and a story about a dream world. Maybe this is the world that WED talks about!?

OOC: We know that the plot of Tomorrowland is about a girl finding this wonderful place. Maybe this is the story?

Week 3, Day 5 (July 26th)

IC: So Amelia and Wallace can follow my adventures, I'll be posting all morning on Twitter for what we find from the map! @hastin

IC: WOW! Where to being? I'll track all the Walt's Haunts below:

The Grand Courtyard: So we showed up around 8:00, at rope drop. We briskly walked (no running) to the Grand Courtyard. Disney Cast Members were there, and gave us a card to come back at 8:30. When we came back at 8:30 - the band played 'There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow'. We were then escorted to...wait for it...CLUB 33! Inside the club, we went up the stairs, and the phone rang. Jeremiah picked up the phone, and Wallace asked him to keep an eye on the lift. Then, Wallace asked for....Hastin.

WHAT!? ME!? I was excited and nervous. So, I went ahead and talked to him. He asked me if I was the one who found the 'Signal Flags', and I gave him a confident 'Yes.'. He then talked about how we we're on the right path, and he wanted to make us a deal. We got to ask him one question, he got to ask one to us.

As a group, we decided to ask him about "How has he related to this other world that WED created or found?" - He gave us a cryptic answer (same answer he gave to the other groups, Here's a full summary of the conversation) for Group 2. He told me in Group 1, the same stuff as Group 2. For Group 3, he over emphasized the 'worlds fair' - saying that Club 33 was built because of private clubs at the fair. He then asked us to hum 'Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow', saying that was more than a theme song - but a mission statement.

Wallace: "What better way to start than with those who are already looking for it? You are one step closer to the answers you are looking for. Keep your eyes open, it could be anywhere in the park if you know where to look."

This lead to him telling us about two clues inside the Club itself. First, there were wine glasses with initials and symbols. We determined that most of these people have been to World's Fairs:

From Top to bottom:

NT (Tesla) -AME (Earhart) - JGV (Verne)- SLC (Clemens / Mark Twain)
    AGE (Eiffel) - HGW (Wells) - TAE (Edison) - WED (Disney)

We then found a second clue, a plate with a crest and the words "Cras es Noster" (The Future is Ours), and the symbols and letters around the edge of the plate:

We were then escorted out of the club.

I livestreamed the whole thing for our friends at home! Here's a video of just the morning and Club 33 visit:

Or watch the whole 2 hours at: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/36394179

OOC: At the end of the experience, they had us sign waivers, and interviewed me. SO MUCH FUN!

Chili John's: We arrived at Chili John's, grabbed a seat, and had some spaghetti with beans and chili. Delicious. We then asked for a can of 'Pinto Beans to go'. Inside the can was cement, and a clue:

There looks to 3 messages, mentioning Calarts, NASA and DARPA, and people who are not "Science Factual (an old Disney show). All the themes are the same. Recruit! Maybe this is what Wallace is doing?

The Carousel: On 'the last dark' horse, there was an extra strap, that had letters on it. We quickly determined that you had to wrap the strap around the pole and match up the letters to form words:

It says:

"Society member we each play a role in building tomorrow. Remember our goal to forge a brighter path for the future, and keep the world going round."

The ride operator was a little mean, kicking us off after our ride. Glad we got it in time!

Anyway! That's about it for that day. Amelia posted another interview:

Notice how her mom talks about the story - I bet that place is where WED and the Future Society members visited or created. In addition, maybe Wallace is recruiting us to become modern members?

Amelia finally posted a little info about our adventures.

WHAT A DAY!

Week 3, Day 6 (July 28th)

IC: Amelia did a wonderful recap post of what happened today. We went down to Walt's Barn to see what Wallace had left us. Once I realized that the "New Orleans Square" and "Telegraph" had showed up, I immediately texted Jeff, who was the first to upload the audio. Ricky on Twitter got to it, and discovered that it said "Welcome society members of 1966 and our new inductee RDB." - we have more initials.

OOC: It was funny to see one of the docents at Walt's Barn getting really upset about how we were discussing all this 'fake history'. He seemed to not even like the idea of Disney playing a game with real/fake history.

Week 3, Day 7 - Week 4, Day 2 (July 29th - 31st)
    IC: Amelia posted some recaps of all 4 of Walt's Haunts. Chili John's, The Carousel, Walt's Barn, and The Grand Courtyard.

I have a feeling it will be quiet until The Bench on Thursday.

Week 4, Day 3 (August 1st)
    IC: Okay, so we showed up at Disneyland in the morning and entered the Opera House. Quite a few Optimists here today! We got our cards to come back (just like the Grand Courtyard), and then entered the Opera House.

Wallace came out to tell us that he's got another piece to put online, and that we're ready to take the next step on the path. He told us to enjoy the tour.

Then, we got to go up to WALT'S APARTMENT!!! No pictures or video allowed, but it was amazing to be in that historical space. I could only imagine an excited Walt laying in his pull-out bed, eating a grilled cheese sandwich - and watching the people coming into the park in the morning. Quite amazing. One thing that was emphasized was the wax canisters. Our tour guide said they were 'throughout the park'.

We were then escorted down, and we met up with other Optimists for retcon. Wallace then released his new piece, Edison Square. On it we're three clues: "Look beyond the lamp", "See the sights from above" (peoplemover), and "Enjoy the view from the Wheelhouse".

So, first thing we found was a canister in the Music Shop window. "Songs from Paris" "Edison Square" with an Eiffel Tower on it.

Second, we rode the Astro Orbiter, and found shapes - circle, diamond, circle - on the spot that Wallace showed on his art.

Finally, we went to the wheelhouse. A previous group had looked all around and didn't see anything. However, once we got off the dock with our certificates - I realized that there was a date in the corner that made no sense: 12:00PM Saturday, May 21st, 1932 - Some quick Googling found that was the date that Amelia Earhart left for her transatlantic flight.

We wanted to link these clues together, but got frustrated. So we had lunch, checked out some dead leads, and went home.

You can see the full video of adventures on my uStream page: http://ustream.tv/channel/hastinz

OOC: We had Imagineers following our group the entire time, taking pictures of our progress. This is what lead us to the wild goose chase, we assumed we were still on the trail, because they were on our trail. What a fun day!

Week 4, Day 4 (August 2nd)

IC: Amelia posted a recap of The Bench adventures.

Later that day, she posted a full recap of what happened so far.

Week 4, Day 5 (August 3rd)
    IC: Saturdays are normally quiet for Optimists. However, several Optimists got a postcard reading:

Dear Fellow Believer,

Thought you would get a kick out of this:
    disneycartography.com/es

My assistant made it, and found it very inspiring.

All the best,
    Wallace
    That URL leads to a Flash game, where you need to input Thursday's clues (Date, Eiffel Tower, Circle Diamond Circle). That then unlocks three 'attractions' (Soarin' with Amelia Earhart, The Time Machine, Eiffel Tower of Wonder) and shows all the names on the street fronts, and if you click the right statue's plaque, you get an interesting plaque:

We see the society logo, the "+" part of the logo is red, while the "U" is black. What does it mean? Hopefully we'll find out at the Live Chat on Monday!

Week 4, Day 6 - Week 5, Day 1 (August 4rd - August 5th)
    IC: Nothing much on Sunday.

However, Wallace had his live chat on Monday. Livestreaming from DisneyCartography.com/chat, he answered too few questions. We know his favorite color is 'sky blue', he love Chocolate Chip cookies (have to get him some for the Expo), and that the D23 Expo will be our 'final test'. Finally, he patched Bob Gurr on, who talked about the Midget Autopia and the 'Bronzed Vechiles'. Bob then started talking about Walt and The Society - and Wallace appeared to cut him off. Wallace then abruptly ended the chat - saying he'll see us at D23. Someone uploaded the live chat if you want to watch it.

I was in the park during the livestream, and didn't see anything added to the Autopia. :\ I have a feeling this is a clue for expo.

OOC: I just knew that Bob would be involved somehow. I want to ask him all about it at the MiceChat booth at the Expo, or at our Anabella 10:00PM party on Saturday - he will be there.

Week 5, Day 2 - Week 5, Day 4 (August 6th - August 8th)
    IC: Not much going on these three days. Tweets from Wallace about getting the booth and his new art ready. In the D23 guide, he has a full page ad - spelling out PASSWORD IS PROGRESS around the edge.

Amelia found a last folder, that contains a note with her Mother's name (!) on it. Oh, and her Mom will be in Los Angeles for a nursing conference - so she's close.

Poor Amelia. She's been trying to ask her mom all about her grandfather - but she's just getting her more upset. First, they share the bedtime story, which I think is a real place, based on the clue's we've gotten so far about limitless energy (from the CoP narration), dinosaurs (Ford pavilion/Primeval world narration), and robots (from the Lincoln Wallace poster, the 'more ambitious animations').

However, when she brought it up over Pizza, her mom freaked out. I think that her Mom maybe didn't have any interactions with her Grandfather, and she hated him over it. Even though he was setting up a grand future for her to enjoy - she never got to see it (this other place).

On Amelia's final attempt to talk to her mom, she wants to show her the last folder (which has a plate-like design on it) and slides she found, she tries to put it on video.

It doesn't work. Her Mom is really annoyed that she's pulled us into this, saying that it was left to her, and was a personal thing. So, Amelia filled up some of those empty frames.

OOC: At first, I didn't like the 'family drama' of this, but as it has played out - I like it more. I'm starting to feel legitimately bad for Amelia, and after the video and tweets - have to remind myself she is fake. Nice job WDI.

Week 5, Day 5 - (August 9th)

IC:
    What a day! We met Wallace right at 10:00AM and gave him the password. Then, we we're off to the little Clock of the World with our new Optimist friends. We quickly determined that you had to match up the maps, and that lead us to the Imagineering pavilion. (Thanks to mach1monorail for the photos!)

Inside the Imagineering Pavilion, we quickly found the EPCOT Center unbuilt Space Pavilion, and matched up the letters to the card:

This was the same for a Blueprint for Progress City:

We came up with the words LN SHAW. We were puzzled, but a handy Imagineer told us the Ellenshaw painting was on display! Under the beautiful painting in blacklight, we found the markings on our map:

Two of these markings put together, lead us to Disneyland, an arrow pointed at Mr. Lincoln or the Fire House. We quickly rendezvoused with fellow Society agents in the lobby:

From here, we were sent to the wishing well, and marked two locations on our map. Where they met was the Fortune teller machine! We grabbed a fortune:

We ran to the Lilly Belle at Main Street. Nope. Had to board it from Tomorrowland. On the Lilly Belle was a special recording, and a box with cards:

We quickly arranged the cards to reveal the answer:

Back on Main Street, after several trial and errors, we held up our cards and said 'STEAMBOAT', we now passed to a cast member that escorted us into the Main Street cinema.

Holding up our cards, a special video played. You can see it in my Ustream account videos.

At the end of the video (I was crying like a baby through it - a very emotional 6 weeks), Pins arose from below, and we got to take one as our prize for making it into the Society.

We went back to Wallace, and got a poster! He thanked us for completing the journey, encouraged us to share it with others, and told us that only this part is over. What an amazing experience!

Cras es Noster!

Week 5, Day 6 - (August 10th)
    IC:
    After Amelia watched my Livestream, and saw the message, she had to convince her mom (who was in a conference in LA) to come, and she said she would. We waited outside the Main Street Cinema for her. Once she arrived, we all (maybe 75 people) greeted her, and took her inside to see the message. Again, there's full video of this on my Ustream page. Once she saw the message (I was crying so hard again), she called Amelia (yes, I cried again) - and told her that she loved her, and that she should have listened to her. She had to catch a flight, so we all said goodbye.

What an amazing end to an adventure!

Week 9 - Day 5 (September 5th)

IC: Well, this adventure may not be over yet. Amelia finally posted on Twitter that the documentary is almost done, and she would like to show it to us next week. She's been actively replying as well.

Is the next adventure starting? Or is this just a 'final wrap'? Who knows!

OOC: Several of the Imagineers who were working on The Optimist were also doing the Fronterland game the last few weeks - so they've been busy. Maybe they didn't meet a deadline for the video to keep the game in it's 6 week schedule?

The Finale, the documentary:

As always with an ARG, anything is suspect - including comments from others on her blog. Disney seems to be fairly good about posting what is part of the ARG, and what isn't - so MiceChat would be a safe place to discuss the game without any shills posting.

Please refrain from using this thread to discuss the merits of Disney doing an ARG like this (start another thread if you like), only aspects of the game.
    Last edited by Monorail Man; 09-07-2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: ANOTHER Update
    -Monorail Man

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

re: The Optimist: Disney's WDI/WED Tomorrowland Movie ARG - Summary and Recap

Sounds interesting! Looking forward to your updates.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

This sounds interesting! Is there more information about the game? I'm just a little confused of what the objective is or what the "end game" is here.

EDIT:

Whoops, I guess I should've Googled it first Well for those who are curious and want more information about the game, check out these links below:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...-the-optimist/
    http://optimist.disney.com/?CMP=SOC-...st000108-07-13

I guess this "game" is kind of similar to the whole dragon thing at WDW where a blogger was documenting his dragon findings?
    Last edited by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe; 07-08-2013 at 09:58 PM.

• Mice Chat Columnist

I'm a big, big fan of ARGs, and this one looks promising so far. And I'm not just saying that because there has been a lot of Rolly stuff being used already, haha.

MM, I have a feeling this will be a conversation we will be having daily for the next 6 weeks!

• Mice Chat Columnist

I was JUST going to write about it being CoP and not Progressland! haha. Glad they fixed it

• Parmageddon Jim

This feels like it's connected to the upcoming Brad Bird/Damon Lindelof film, "Tomorrowland." It, too, involves WDI, and early viral marketing centers around a mysterious box of stuff.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Gn2Dlnd; 07-09-2013 at 01:12 PM.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• "I don't like the color"

Sounds interesting.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Sorry MM, This sounds interesting but shouldn't this be more in the Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion and not the Disneyland Resort forum?
    Give it time. It will relate directly to the park.

• Mice Chat Columnist

I posted this on Amelia's latest post, but I'll copy it here as well:

While all these emails people are getting back from Michael Lott are great, I think you guys are missing the MOST important part of the email. I don’t think it’s the content of what he sent you, but the disclaimer on the bottom.

It reads: “This e-mail and the information it contains may be confidential and privileged and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee. If you have received this message in error please inform the sender immediately, delete all copies, do not disclose the contents to any other person or take any action based on them. If you’re a client and need to access your files online, type our website, a slash, then your project code to view your documents.”

They are telling us where we need to go next I do believe! We need to know the project code, of course, but once we do, we should be able to access the next part of the Lott Construction website.

I tried “iasw” “progressland” “cop” “nywf” and none of them work. Perhaps we’re missing a number hidden in a photo somewhere? Anyone have any ideas?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Added all kinds of things from Day 2! It's getting interesting, and fun!
    -Monorail Man

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by Gn2Dlnd View Post
    This feels like it's connected to the upcoming Brad Bird/Damon Lindelof film, "Tomorrowland." It, too, involves WDI, and early viral marketing centers around a mysterious box of stuff.

Thoughts?

You know, I think you might be onto something. I had no idea there was going to be a Tomorrowland movie (which after doing some research apparently has nothing to do with Disneyland's Tomorrowland). The whole 'Optimist' game about a girl finding a bunch of her grandpa's Disney stuff and the image released by Disney finding a briefcase labeled '1952' is very similar indeed. With the recent new image of a letter addressed to Carlos Moreau dated June 23 1952, it seems too coincidental to not be related. AND apparently the plot of the Tomorrowland movie also involves the 1964 World's Fair which is what Amelia is trying to investigate right now.

Did you just solve the 'Optimist' game in just two days?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Mischief Managed

Blog Entries

Thank you for making this thread.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• Parmageddon Jim

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    Did you just solve the 'Optimist' game in just two days?
    Ha! Probably not. If this is like the online "games" around A.I., or Cloverfield, we'll just have fun unearthing "clues" about the environment of the movie, but it will have little to do with the actual plotline.

BTW, I think my comment about being bugged by the SX-70 photos in Amelia's picture was deleted. So, no more posting about anachronisms!
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Lots of new stuff today - and more dead ends. Somehow this will all click...
    -Monorail Man

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    IC: A new site found - Disney Cartography - Contains some artwork by Wallace - a huge Disney fan. He is going to be presenting at the D23 Expo, and there's a live call on the 6th at 6:30PM. There's 5 pieces of 'Art', including iasw, Primeval World, CoP, the Tam 'o Shanter (with EPCOT the City on the table), and Mr. Lincoln.

Wait, how was this website found? I don't remember Amelia mentioning this website or giving us any clues that led us to that website. Did I miss something? I thought I was following the game pretty closely up to this point D:

Quote Originally Posted by Gn2Dlnd View Post
    BTW, I think my comment about being bugged by the SX-70 photos in Amelia's picture was deleted. So, no more posting about anachronisms!
    Oh how interesting! I wonder why it got deleted? I don't think I saw that comment. Just out of curiosity, what did you write?

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast