Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Al Report: Board Meeting at DCA, TL Moakoever Earlier, New Parades. and More

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    I'm just going to keep hoping that all this Monstropolis and Laugh Floor nonsense is nothing more than a bad rumor.

I don't mind the Star Wars bikes idea, but Tron bikes would look much nicer at night. I'm not sure I believe they will do this ride anyway. It seems like it would have low ride capacity and the PM tracks are in such bad shape.

PM tracks can be torn down and rebuilt, preferably better able to handle the forces of a faster ride.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Closed Account

Re: Al Report: Board Meeting at DCA, TL Moakoever Earlier, New Parades. and More

So fixing TL for the 60th is Rocket Rods The Sequel AND one of the worst MK attractions EVER? Is WDI-Otown infiltrating Glendale?? MILF will BOMB with the SoCal demo. It's a very weak and awkward attraction. The Star Speeder Bike SOUNDS great, but, again, no chance for show scenes and HOW would it fit? Yea It's themed to Star Wars but you'd still be seeing TL itself. So what would be the point?

• Closed Account

And I seriously cannot believe they are going full steam ahead with Monstropolis. WHO wants to see a cartoon version of what's basically, Any Hipster Town USA??

• Closed Account

TG DL is getting a new nighttime parade AND Keeping Soundsational. WDW fans will be in full on rage over DL getting a BRAND NEW night parade after the Spectro fiasco.

• Blew By You

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Lemme get this straight... the same head-in-the-sand executives who for years have ignored the testimony of their frontline managers that there is a major problem with their GAC policy, are now suddenly going to acquire the knowledge, experience and wisdom to fix it?

Over here we're . I don't think this will be handled well at all. All because of a few ************!!

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    It places Disney in the unfortunate role of having to tell people "no" over something that they get very tetchy about. But seriously? For every party that actually *needs* six people to attend to the one person on the pass (what, a trauma crash team?) there are hundreds who would easily be able to use 'marker' Fastpasses where most of the party waits in line and the disabled party is loaded in when they reach the front. Moving to that standard would solve a large part of the issue right there.
    I agree that there must be a better way of handling this, but for those who genuinely need a GAC, I don't know if its an issue of how many people that person needs to attend to them and more a "this is the party I'm traveling with issue." I was supposed to go to WDW a few years ago with friends where there would have been 9 of us total; I didn't end up getting to go, but they went anyway and had their grandparents with them, one of who needed a motorized scooter to get around the parks at all times and the other who needed a wheelchair from time to time. Their issue was less about attention and more about how to handle the opportunity they were handed - yes, they could bring 4/5 people with them on a ride via their GAC, but that still left 2 in their party out. (If I recall correctly, most of the CM's they encountered let all 8 of them in together on most rides; there were certainly some rides that one or two in the party didn't even want to go on to begin with.) I can imagine this is an issue with large parties like family reunions, etc., who are given a GAC and somehow have to figure it out.

I'm not defending the abuse my any means, and I am certainly the first to say "sometimes you just have to suck it up and deal" when it comes to these things, but I do think that for large parties traveling together, it may not always be how much attention is needed and more is a fairness factor within the party.

I'm not familiar with how it works with larger-than-6 parties though, or if anyone's encountered this or dealt with it personally?

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by jchamb268 View Post
    One GAC card holder and one person to accompany them that is what it should be. Not 6 tag a longs.
    I agree. It should be the GAC holder with one guest. I would accept two if the GAC holder was underage so both parents could accompany or a parent and a sibling, but that's it. The rule of 6 is ridiculous.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Singing Drinker

So in the case of the larger party - why would it not be acceptable to have the majority wait in line, and when reaching the ride itself have the GAC individual rejoin the party with however many people are required for attendance/company at the injection point?

It's also an argument against the current One Size Fits All system. Larger parties either need multiple passes or get split up currently - one leading to further abuse, the other to unhappy guests as the disabled zoom through the line while the rest of their party is forced to wait.

My opinion is honestly just that - mine. But in that little demented world, I don't see a reason why disabled guests can't be expected to wait the same amount of time as the rest of the park. If you honestly require a massive posse in order to negotiate the parks for the day and it is medically impossible for you to wait - not stand in line, but simply wait - for rides? Why are you at Disneyland on a crowded day? Go during the off season - if you are physically/mentally incapable of dealing with the simple act of waiting, you really shouldn't be at Disneyland during a crowd. It'd be like someone with a sun allergy expecting a nude beach to put up a dark room so they could be there too.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Always Dreaming

I think that with GAC cards, people think that it's all about waiting... I have a GAC card and I have no problem with waiting the length that everyone else waits, as long as I am able to do so in a place that is not crowded and I feel trapped. I'm fine with getting issued a re-admit pass for the amount of time I would be waiting, or waiting in a separate area. But standing in the lines where often time people don't have a very good concept of personal space, I can get anxious and that can lead me towards a panic attack. A lot of people ask me how I deal with Disneyland at all and the truth is, I know what I can and can't handle... I have left after very little time in the park because it was too crowded for me. I know where I can go to relax and I don't do rides a lot, but when I do, the GAC card is helpful.

I hope they can improve the system and help it to be more fitted to each person's personal needs. They really need to have more than 3 designations. And though I know that they can't because of ADA, I do with they would require documentation so I could stop getting dirty looks from CM's when using my GAC card.
    http://aurorahermione.tumblr.com - costuming and random Disney stuff

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    So fixing TL for the 60th is Rocket Rods The Sequel AND one of the worst MK attractions EVER? ?
    A pre-owned franchise... a remake of Rocket Rods (which itself was a remake of the PeopleMover)... a second hand attraction from Orlando... they should just rename it "HandMeDownLand."

Cue Barbara Streisand singing "Second Hand Rose"...

It's no wonder that I feel abused
    I never get a thing that ain't been used

I’m wearing second hand hats
    Second hand clothes
    That’s why they call me
    Second Hand Rose
    Even our piano in the parlor
    Father bought for ten cents on the dollar
    Second hand curls
    I'm wearing second hand pearls
    I never get a single thing that's new
    Even Jake the Plumber, he's the man I adore
    Had the nerve to tell me he's been married before!
    Everyone knows that I'm just Second Hand Rose
    From Second Avenue

I'm wearing second hand shoes
    Second hand hose
    All the girls hand me their second hand beaus
    Even my pajamas when I don 'em
    Got somebody else's 'nitials on 'em
    Second hand rings
    I'm sick of second hand things
    I never get what other girlies do
    Once when strolling through the Ritz a girl got my goat
    She nudged her friend
    And said "Oh look there's my old fur coat"

Everyone knows that I'm just
    Second Hand Rose
    From Second Avenue

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• The doctor is in

Along with the GAC abuse I think they need to look at the ECV abuse as well. It's blatantly obvious that some people rent them and/or bring their own just so they don't have to walk and stand around. Part of being at a theme park is being on your feet and standing in line. If you can't handle that then maybe you shouldn't go to Disneyland, but that's just my opinion. I think along with updating the requirements and restrictions for GAC they should do the same for ECV's. I can't count how many times I have been hit by one just because the person driving it was being careless and had the speed setting too high. Either that or have a size requirement/limit for how big it can be. You don't need a scooter that is double wide with a giant basket in the front for a day at Disneyland. You just don't.

It's just relative to how our culture is now, though.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Along with the GAC abuse I think they need to look at the ECV abuse as well. It's blatantly obvious that some people rent them and/or bring their own just so they don't have to walk and stand around. Part of being at a theme park is being on your feet and standing in line. If you can't handle that then maybe you shouldn't go to Disneyland, but that's just my opinion. I think along with updating the requirements and restrictions for GAC they should do the same for ECV's. I can't count how many times I have been hit by one just because the person driving it was being careless and had the speed setting too high. Either that or have a size requirement/limit for how big it can be. You don't need a scooter that is double wide with a giant basket in the front for a day at Disneyland. You just don't.

It's just relative to how our culture is now, though.
    ECV gets into a stickier area. You are basically putting a voluntary choice that Disney allows on the chopping block, and down that path lies such "popular with some, killing words for others" issues such as "ban doublewide strollers" or "no strollers if every child is capable of walking" restrictions.

My personal view is close to your statement on them - I have a bad back, spent too long overweight as a tall guy before doing something about it, and as a result spend a fair amount of my daily life in a truly irritating amount of pain. I go to the park (whichever, Disneyland, USH, this is generalizing), spend as long as I can comfortably while taking whatever non-intrusive measures I can to ameliorate my pain (Let's do the Cove ride! Mahogany Ridge here we come!) and accept that my operational day at the park isn't what it used to be.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

GAC..... Some possible solutions:

• Allow no more than 1 adult and 1 child OR 2 children to accompany the user of the GAC.
    • Require users to come back after an amount of time equal to that which they would have had to wait in line.
    • Ban cheaters from the park for life(including a no refund surrender of admission media)

LAUGH FLOOR....... NO! Just NO! As someone who has been to WDW and experienced this atrocity first hand I have to say that I'd rather see them show Mars needs Mom's in a loop than build LF (I am not saying I want MnM to be the EO replacement...I am just emphasizing how utterly awful LF is).

Why not spend a couple of extra bucks and put in something original with no movie tie in whatsoever?

If new idea's are just way too risky, why not bring back the Country Bears as the Space Bears I'd buy a plane ticket right now to see Big Al sing Space Oddity

STAR WARS...... I'd rather they didn't.....So what if TRON failed to be a Billion dollar grosser, those tron-bikes would be so much cooler in Tomorrowland than SW's speed-bikes which only serve to remind one of the deplorableness that was Return of the Jedi

If they feel they really must add another Star Wars attraction to the park why not rip out Buzz and put in a new shoot-em-up where we get to blast Storm Troopers and Tie-fighters?
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Chief Troublemaker

From what I understand, ADA forbids asking for any type of documentation of disability. So Disney will not be able to request that as part of the 'new' GAC rules. They will still have to take someone's word for it. Therefore, IMHO, the only thing they WILL be able to do is to make a GAC more 'unattractive' for those that abuse them. Since most of the abuse comes from people who think it will allow them to skip lines, Disney's only alternative (again IMHO) is to institute a policy that requires disabled guests to wait close to the same amount of time as the standby line (given a return pass with time annotated). I know some have said that there are some rides with boarding limits and longer waits due to loading time, that can be taken into account & a shorter return time given with the idea that you'll be waiting an additional 15-20 mins for loading.

As far as the number of people who accompany a GAC holder, guests who visit the parks in large groups get broken up into smaller groups for ride vehicles anyway, GAC or no. Even my little family (4) has to ride in 2 doom buggies since our kids got older. Once a bunch of us cousins went (about 15 of us) and we waited at the exits til everyone had ridden & then headed off to the next ride. Maybe the ride vehicle capacity should be taken into account. Mr Toad=GAC+1, Snow White=GAC+3, up to a max of 6 for rides with higher capacity. Everyone else waits in standby. Combining that with the return pass for the GAC holder, everyone should be done riding at about the same time.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Quote Originally Posted by jchamb268 View Post
    One GAC card holder and one person to accompany them that is what it should be. Not 6 tag a longs.
    So when I go with my mom and boyfriend, you would want us to be split up all day? I would ride with my mom, while my boyfriend waits in the regular line and rides by himself. We would then wait for him at the exit for however long it takes. We're not abusers; my mom's legs don't work. How would that be fair?? Parties of three shouldn't be split up. Whoeve says they should be obviously hasn't had to deal with a disabled family member. Why don't you split your party of three into two and one all day next time. How would you like it???

Anyway, I do agree that the GAC system needs to be overhauled. Disabled guests should have to bring disabled placards, proof they receive SSDI benefits, or a valid doctor's note. This information should be integrated into their tickets.
    Last edited by The First Star; 07-09-2013 at 02:15 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast