Disneyland Main Street Train Station

Hey, everybody. I've found evidence that claims the Walt Disney World Railroad Main Street Station is based on the (old?) train station in Saratoga Springs, New York.

What I can't find is any reference to what the Disneyland equivilent is based on. I can find reference to the New Orleans Square station being based on the one from So Dear To My Heart (1948), but nothing on the Main Street Station beyond that it is done in the "Queen Anne's style." Also, for the record, I've been to Marceline, Missouri and the old train station there isn't it. That one (a museum now) looks like a big shoebox.

Does anyone know what historical station this iconic structure is based upon?

Any help is appreciated.

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Disneyland Main Street Train Station

Steve the Train Expert should be along any minute now.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I think I would like to hear from someone named Steve the Train Expert on a topic like this!

• Minion

From what I'm aware, the Main Street Station in Disneyland is not based off an existing structure. Early Imagineers who designed Main Street like Herb Ryman, Harper Goff, and Marvin Davis may have taken design elements from existing structures and incorporated them into the Station, but the entire Station structure itself was designed specifically for Disneyland by Imagineer Bill Martin. Much of the design of Disneyland's Main Street is based of Harper Goff's hometown of Fort Collins, Colorado, so I would not be surprised if the Main Street Station has design elements incorporated from Fort Collins. In fact, the Fort Collins court house bears striking resemblance to City Hall in Disneyland.
    Last edited by disneylandfan95; 07-09-2013 at 02:08 PM.

The Main Street station doesn't look a lot like any station I know off, although the red brick and wood work do resemble the Saratoga Springs station you mentioned.

Most train stations built back in the day were based of a set of standardized designs. For example my town used to have a train station called Warner Station which was torn down long before I was alive, however it is only a short drive to other parts of the state to see the exact same station design in other towns (example: Logan, UT train station | Flickr - Photo Sharing!). If Disneyland's station is based on a real station I wonder if it was a standardized design, making it easier for WED to get a hold of the blueprints. If not, then Main Street station is likely a unique design with architecture motifs pulled of real stations.

• Senior Minion

According to Steve DeGaetano, disneylandfan95 is pretty much right. Bill Martin was the Station's exterior designer.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Much of the design of Disneyland's Main Street is based of Harper Goff's hometown of Fort Collins, Colorado, so I would not be surprised if the Main Street Station has design elements incorporated from Fort Collins. In fact, the Fort Collins court house bears striking resemblance to City Hall in Disneyland.
    ​Interesting- thank you!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    According to Steve DeGaetano, disneylandfan95 is pretty much right. Bill Martin was the Station's exterior designer.
    Thanks for the correction.

Chased down a photo of the Ft. Collins train station. Not 100% but there are some similarities.
    Ft. Collins, CO train station | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Who is Bill Martin? Sounds like he did some cool stuff for WED yet I have never heard of him.

Posted in wrong thread. Disregard.
    My signature is NOT larger than my post, nor should yours be!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by xboxtravis7992 View Post
    Who is Bill Martin? Sounds like he did some cool stuff for WED yet I have never heard of him.
    Bill Martin designed much of Disneyland's Main Street with Harper Goff and Herb Ryman, as well as many of the original Fantasyland attractions. He was particularly heavily involved with Snow White, Peter Pan, and Alice in Wonderland, as well as the original Castle Walk-Through. I believe he also did early design work on the Haunted Mansion as well.

For Walt Disney World, Bill was the principal designer for the Magic Kingdom and heavily worked on the master layout as well as the design of Fantasyland, Main Street, and the Utilidors. After his retirement, he consulted on both Epcot and Tokyo Disneyland.

Bill passed away just a few years ago.

A ton of great information here. Thanks for the responses everybody.