Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

lesser known awesome DL fun?

Forgive me, as I assume this has been posted somewhere, but I could locate it.

I have been a passholder for 10 years on and off, and I have learned many tips about the park over the years, but I realize, there is still so much to do there that I don't know about.

Example, I never knew you could drive the mark twain until a cast member saw myself and a friend wandering the deck looking for a spot to sit down, and offered to let us drive. It was the most fun I'd had in a very long time there.

I also just discovered that you could ask to ride in the Lilly Belle and maybe a CM will oblige your request.

I am looking for more little things like that to do. Fun experiences that aren't well known. If your an AP. what have you learned that makes your trip better, what are some really great picture spots that aren't very well known, etc etc. After loving Disneyland for all my life, I am finally starting to just calm down and enjoy the small parts.

Re: lesser known awesome DL fun?

If you ring club 33's door bell 33 times they will let you in

• Selfie Expert

I put together a To Do list of these type of things (the link is in my signature). They're not all "little known" but a few are.

One of my favorites was waking up the Tiki Room birds before the show.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Closed Account

Some of my favorites:
    Riding in the cone of the Monorail (but this is hardly a secret). Wait by gate 1, and ask to sit in the cone or the front of the Monorail. You get to sit right by the driver. The Monorail drivers are some of the most interesting cast members in all of Disneyland in my opinion. Up to five people can fit in the cone or the front of the Monorail.

In the new Fantasyland, near the Royal Theater, there is a music box, belonging to Clopin, that you can make play. Inside the music box are a lot of hidden Disney characters, it's fun to see how many different ones your group can spot. My record is 12 so far, but I have heard that there are more.

I like looking for hidden things that aren't hidden Mickey's that were done deliberately, like the T-Rex having a different number of fingers then history would dictate. I also like to look for Disney characters in places that you wouldn't expect them, like the Darlings on the Lost Parents sign.

• Johnny and Me!

Find out what happens if you touch the apple at the entrance to Snow White's Scary Adventures.

Sit in Walt's booth at the Golden Horseshoe - the one closest to the food counter. You will have to get to the show early.

Ask a CM at The Haunted Mansion to see the "secret" pet cemetery near the exit.

• formerly very helpful

Shrunken Ned in the Bazaar in Adventureland.

Eat lunch at the picnic tables on Tom Sawyer Island. (You have to bring food to the island, though. They don't sell it there.)

Ride in the caboose of the train if there's room. No reservation necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Ride in the caboose of the train if there's room. No reservation necessary.
    I did this back when I visited in 2010. I saw a few faces inside, and went into it. Sat with a couple families and talked a bit as I went from New Orleans Square to Tomorrowland.

The Caboose - just ask a CM if you can go there. I asked a few times and got told no, sometimes yes. It gets HOT back there with no a/c and the train doesn't really go all that fast. On REALLY hot days, they won't allow anyone to ride back there.

I was going to suggest Musical Chairs! It is done at Refreshment Corner at either 2 or 2:30pm by the piano. Sometimes the Mad Hatter will have all children play the game, sometimes all adults, sometimes all teens, sometimes a mixture. Be sure to have a (clean) joke to tell if you happen to be an un-winner.

Right now, the All American College Band is performing Tuesdays - Saturdays during most of the summer, and they are REALLY good! We like hearing them!

What about going to TLT and catching one of their "concerts"? My boyfriend and I like 80s All Starz, which is an 80s cover band, and Scott Bruce, who is an Elvis impersonator, and plays all sorts of Elvis songs, from his early days to some of his later stuff. We've heard Tomasina is good, but we've yet to catch a set, but the music we hear sometimes through the wind is good. Get some food from TLT or Redd Rocket's, then grab a table, get comfy, and enjoy a concert with 4-5 sets, depending on the day of the week.

Trying to find @DCAToday and @DisneylandToday can be fun too. Just follow them on Twitter. Sometimes they'll post things like "Are you ready to play a game?" They'll give out buttons and sometimes cookies or FastPasses. Sometimes you'll have to say a certain "secret word of the day" to get your prize. Even if they run out, it is just fun to say hi.

Riding in the caboose of Casey Junior is fun, especially riding backwards.

That's all I can think of for now!

Ever stand on the station and as a train is leaving the station, you see a very fancy passenger car/caboose looking structure tailing behind the train and wonder what that is? Very early in the morning, go up to the Main Street Railroad Station and ask to reserve a seat on the Lilly Belle. They only allow 2-3 trips on it a day, so it's always best to reserve as soon as possible. I don't want to spoil too much about it though, because (depending on the cast member chosen to be your host) may or may not tell you a landslide of stories and facts surrounding the railroad car.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Element of Laughter

1. Inquire about riding the Disneyland RR up front with the engineers. I did that once, and learned something about the ride.
    2. If you're an AP, and go to the resort frequently enough, befriend a castmember or 3. . . castmembers have the most interesting stories about Disneyland, and you might learn something.
    3. If all of a sudden during your trip, you get some unexpected "liquid sunshine," don't leave, go to the nearest store, buy yourself a poncho, and head on over to Splash Mountain. Rain has a habit of somehow washing the crowds away from that corner of the park, and getting wet doesn't matter.
    4. If you happen to be in Disney's California Adventure when it starts raining, see #3, substituting "Grizzly River Rapids" for "Splash Mountain."
    5. Go to the Little Red Wagon on Main Street next to Plaza Inn and get a corn dog. They're that good, and big enough to practically be a meal in itself.
    6. On Snow White's Scary Adventures and Pinocchio's Daring Journey, sit in the back seat. There is a difference.
    ​Pinkamena Diane Pie, is that you?

• Disney Trivia Queen

Ask the cast members at ride loading to tell you where hidden mickeys/hidden characters/secrets are on each ride. Most of them love to tell people and it makes it fun looking for what they tell you about (unless you already know it and then I just pretend like I don't know so that they feel like they are telling me something new) Watch Tiki room when Maynard is working. Ask for a map of the jungle when you get off of jungle cruise. I haven't done it in a while so I don't know if they still have them but it's a little paper map that they will give you if they have them.

Go to City Hall and ask for the pressed penny guide. Then go on a hunt for your favorite pressed penny. Cost is 51 cents for each one.Bring quarters and shiny new pennies with you. They are hidden all over the park. One note, the ones in Starcade have been switched to tokens but the tokens are collectable also because they say Starcade on them.

Quote Originally Posted by calvegas04 View Post
    If you ring club 33's door bell 33 times they will let you in
    I think that is the funniest post I have ever read.

• Ducksketeer

While posing for a photo with Mary Poppins (character), ask her, "are you really practically perfect in every way?" And then hear her funny 'in character' response.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast