Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Re: Should Anaheim have a Disney water slide park?

I like the idea of the Disneyland Resort having its own water park by virtue of the fact that it would add another element to the resort, and like Kelly I too would make a point to check it out just because it's Disney. But as others have said, there is VERY limited space in Anaheim that Disney owns, and I too would prioritize the Third Gate before a water park. After that I'd want another hotel, then a water park would be my third priority. Of course I say all of this with the assumption that Disney could acquire enough land for the water park seeing as their land east of Harbor is marked for the third park. In my own ideal world, Disney would own ALL of the plots of land where all the hotels on Harbor are and Garden Walk, etc. and build up an awesome resort with all these things (3rd gate, new hotels, water park).

• I love my family!

As much as I would love to see a Disney quality waterpark here, I don't think we'll ever see one.

If you have been to the WDW waterparks and the local SoCal waterparks you know there is no comparison, the Disney level of design and experience is far superior to anything in the area.

But, that level of quality comes with a higher price point that would make it hard to compete for the locals that the park would need to pull in to be successful.

So, until the resort becomes more of a destination, like after the third gate is built, unfortunately a full Disney waterpark just isn't in the cards.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Know what I'd love to see? Disney waterparks in OTHER STATES!!! Put 2 or 3 indoor water parks with hotels in different Northern states to allow those of us far from either park system a place to enjoy a touch of Disney magic near us.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

My reasons Disney would not think about a water park in CA:

1. Can't be open year-round. They lose out on 5 months of revenue due to weather.

2. Hours are limited. A park only open from 10-6 means less purchases inside

3. Merchandise. Disney is all about peddling product for a huge profit. Water parks don't get people to buy large amounts of stuff

4. Food sales. A lot of water park goers eat a big breakfast before going to the park. Frankly it's a hassle drying off, going to the locker for money and sitting down to eat at a water park.

I'm sure there's other reasons but a third gate would be much more profitable for Disney. I don't see anyone traveling a far distance to come specifically to a water park. Now a Marvel or Star Wars park? People might just come from overseas to see that!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    A stand alone, separate gate water park? No. Just look at Disney's history with water parks. They've closed one and have added very few additions to the ones they have. Clearly their interest is not in water parks. And given that land at the Disneyland Resort is a premium, I don't see them ever dedicating a large chunk to a water park.

But I could one day see a water park attached to one of the Disneyland Resort Hotels and only be available for use to those guest staying at the hotel.
    ^Best answer in the thread.

Land around DLR is sparse, so to take up space that might potentially be used for a 3rd gate (which I'm not crazy about) or a water park, just doesn't seem like good business. But the idea of one at one of the resort hotels? Yeah. That might even get me to consider those properties again for a future stay!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

Hey, i think a water park in Anaheim would be awesome! i love water parks but i dont find any interest in the water parks we already have around here in southern california. i think a Disney Themed park would do great!!! expecially we have some pretty ok weather year round out here. it would be clean! and organized and problem much more tamed than Farrows Lost Kingdom. let be honest. lol i wouldnt mind riding down a slide on an Ariel sea shell.

or they can do something totally interactive like an Ariel scavenger hunt! and go around and find all her of her little trinkets and things she has found and saved.
    ...that would be awesome.
    To all who come to this Happy Place.... WELCOME șoș
    -ig: thelipsticklizz tw:lipsticklizz

seriously a third park would be AWESOME.
    i mean disneyland benig the first and orginal park, theres a part of me that feels like it should of been more focused on the 'updating' and upkeep and expansion than other parks. but i also wouldnt like it to be changed too much to where it isnt the same.
    i think a third park would be great but i wouldnt like to see so many parks connected into DLR as WDW is.

if i made any sense... anyone with me.
    To all who come to this Happy Place.... WELCOME șoș
    -ig: thelipsticklizz tw:lipsticklizz

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Yes, please.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    Know what I'd love to see? Disney waterparks in OTHER STATES!!! Put 2 or 3 indoor water parks with hotels in different Northern states to allow those of us far from either park system a place to enjoy a touch of Disney magic near us.
    You beat me to it; this is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. I do love Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, but we just don't need that in So Cal. They could also build a nice resort hotel. Aulani has kind of a mini water park already, and I don't see anyone flying to Hawaii to go to a water park, but Hilton Head or Vero Beach would be nice, and then they could expand to other cities that don't have a Disney theme park within driving distance.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    My reasons Disney would not think about a water park in CA:

1. Can't be open year-round. They lose out on 5 months of revenue due to weather.

2. Hours are limited. A park only open from 10-6 means less purchases inside

3. Merchandise. Disney is all about peddling product for a huge profit. Water parks don't get people to buy large amounts of stuff

4. Food sales. A lot of water park goers eat a big breakfast before going to the park. Frankly it's a hassle drying off, going to the locker for money and sitting down to eat at a water park.

I'm sure there's other reasons but a third gate would be much more profitable for Disney. I don't see anyone traveling a far distance to come specifically to a water park. Now a Marvel or Star Wars park? People might just come from overseas to see that!
    I'm unsure as to your reasoning.

Did you mean to say not think about a water park *outside* of CA?

Perhaps in areas of Northern CA it's an issue, but in SoCal the weather's perfect. The *market* may not be there year 'round, but I'm not sure if the issue at hand is that the parks don't want to deal with the school year downtime at a reduced park load if they don't have to. Hours are also an artificial construct based on the best headcount through the gate available with the minimal staffing. A park could easily be open until 7-8 during early summer without using artificial lighting, and a park willing to do that and put in facilities for operating after dark would easily be accomplished... if the will existed.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I'm unsure as to your reasoning.

Did you mean to say not think about a water park *outside* of CA?

Perhaps in areas of Northern CA it's an issue, but in SoCal the weather's perfect. The *market* may not be there year 'round, but I'm not sure if the issue at hand is that the parks don't want to deal with the school year downtime at a reduced park load if they don't have to. Hours are also an artificial construct based on the best headcount through the gate available with the minimal staffing. A park could easily be open until 7-8 during early summer without using artificial lighting, and a park willing to do that and put in facilities for operating after dark would easily be accomplished... if the will existed.
    My reasoning is based on the other 3 water parks in the OC area. Raging Waters, Soak city and the now gone Wild Rivers were all closed for a lot of the year. An entertainment based park closed over 30% of the year means it better make a heck of a lot when it's open. I know they can create a dome, but that would be like putting artificial turf at a SoCal baseball stadium...it would feel off.

• Singing Drinker

Ah - I see the confusion.

This is second hand from ex-lifeguards at Raging Waters, but the reasons (and there were multiple over the years) never included weather. They were usually told that it was due to the workforce being almost entirely temp and of High School/College age as well as the guests, and that while the park COULD be open it just wouldn't be profitable.

Beyond at most a couple winter months, there just isn't a time where the parks couldn't be open due to weather. Hell, if it stays the way it did this year there were only about ten days total that they would have been rained out.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• A Happy Haunt

I say No.

1) It would be a waste of income producing space.
    2) as mentioned, it is a seasonal concept. Seasonal is not an option.
    i don't know of one water park that is open all year...
    And 3) limited consumer value.

• MaliBOOMer

Water parks are super low capacity. Water Parks in Southern California have HUGE lines. This would be no exception, there isn't a way to fix this, Water Slides just can't handle that much ridership. When I went to Blizzard Beach at Disney World I waited in the longest line of my trip, 90 minutes for Summit Plummet. Yeah it was fun but if I go back to Disney World I probably wont spend time at Blizzard Beach. The water park they build would have to have something extremely awesome and unique, like the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

I like the idea of putting a water slide park in another state, maybe Texas. I'm not really sure how much more land is available in Anaheim, but I think a third gate needs to be bigger than DCA.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast