Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Should Anaheim have a Disney water slide park?

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    My reasoning is based on the other 3 water parks in the OC area. Raging Waters, Soak city and the now gone Wild Rivers were all closed for a lot of the year. An entertainment based park closed over 30% of the year means it better make a heck of a lot when it's open. I know they can create a dome, but that would be like putting artificial turf at a SoCal baseball stadium...it would feel off.
    Note that Wild Rivers will be re-opening on land once occupied by the former El Toro Marine Corps Air Station in Irvine. The last I heard about this was last year. Work is supposed to be starting this summer (meaning about right now) for a projected re-opening in Spring next year.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Note that Wild Rivers will be re-opening on land once occupied by the former El Toro Marine Corps Air Station in Irvine. The last I heard about this was last year. Work is supposed to be starting this summer (meaning about right now) for a projected re-opening in Spring next year.
    Quoted from the Wild Rivers homepage for relevance:

On July 31, 2012, the Orange County Board of Supervisors approved a long-term lease with us to build and operate a new Wild Rivers on County owned property in Irvine!! This approval is the culmination of six years of tireless work to relocate the icon that was Wild Rivers. We want to thank the Supervisors and the County staff for their support and belief in Wild Rivers and the youth employment and recreation it provides for the community. We couldn’t be more excited to get started on the design of this new water park!

The new park will provide the same high level of customer service as before but will showcase a completely new array of rides, featuring all the latest and greatest technology to offer more thrills and fun than ever. The new Wild Rivers will also be an educational park with various educational elements intertwined within the attractions. It will be a place like no other!!

Construction is slated to begin in the summer of 2013. We thank you for sticking with us and look forward to seeing you when the new Wild Rivers Irvine opens in May 2014!
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Quoted from the Wild Rivers homepage for relevance:
    This makes me very happy. Of all the water parks I've been to in socal (five of them) Wild rivers was for sure my favorite!

• Down Pluto!

I am over water parks and would likely never, ever go.

As long as it is not in, attached to, or near the current Disney Resort properties - then it's fine with me. Build it at least a shuttle bus ride away from the resort for my support.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

you can easily put a disney water park on the west side of the paradise pier hotel. there is tons of land there currently used for parking. the fix here would be to build a multi level garage to make up for all of the lost parking. you could actually fit 4 times the amount of vehicles in a multi level garage than the area currently used to park. only problem here is where are you going to get the money to build this massive garage. Plus the money needed to build a Pirates of the Caribbean themed water park.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Just because there are other water parks in Southern California doesn't mean Disney shouldn't build one. There are many other theme parks as well, does that mean Disney shouldn't have made California Adventure? Long as it is head and shoulders above the competition with detailed theming I'm all for it. I would prefer however if it weren't located at the Disneyland Resort.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    This makes me very happy. Of all the water parks I've been to in socal (five of them) Wild rivers was for sure my favorite!
    I wouldn't get your hopes up by expecting it to be of the same caliber. That amazing mountain which housed many of the attractions would be impossible to rebuild with current safety regulations, not to mention it would cost a ton. I don't expect the theme will return either judging by their off the shelf and lackluster additions before the park closed. Another contributing factor was the mature and lush landscaping from the defunct Lion Country Safari which will no longer be a factor.

Sad to see it go: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum...hp?f=2&t=61402
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-12-2013 at 01:35 AM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Just because there are other water parks in Southern California doesn't mean Disney shouldn't build one. There are many other theme parks as well, does that mean Disney shouldn't have made California Adventure? Long as it is head and shoulders above the competition with detailed theming I'm all for it. I would prefer however if it weren't located at the Disneyland Resort.

I wouldn't get your hopes up by expecting it to be of the same caliber. That amazing mountain which housed many of the attractions would be impossible to rebuild with current safety regulations, not to mention it would cost a ton. I don't expect the theme will return either judging by their off the shelf and lackluster additions before the park closed. Another contributing factor was the mature and lush landscaping from the defunct Lion Country Safari which will no longer be a factor.

Sad to see it go: NEWS: Wild Rivers Water Park to relocate to Temecula - Theme Park Review
    Have they abandoned their plans for Irvine or are they building in both Irvine and Temecula?

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    For what it's worth, that TPR is from 12/22/2011. The announce from the Wild Rivers homepage is still currently posted and was updated (inferred from the site) at least as of 7/31/2012, the date of the announcement they cite.

TPR is likely working with outdated information - the homepage specifically cites Wild Rivers Irvine.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

A water park smacks of adolescent frills, young teens, bathing suits, imitation sand, towels, coin-op lockers, flip flops -- I just don't see enough class inherent in one to adorn itself with the Disney brand.

Not to disparage water parks! But it's not a suitable theme. There can't be enough diversity in experience, enough "magic" in one to border Disneyland without it seeming cheap, almost trailer park'ish in comparison. It will "dilute" the DLR brand, including Disneyland itself. You could slap a Six Flags marquee on a water park absolutely, but not Disney, and certainly not bordering Disneyland.
    Last edited by Goatboy; 07-12-2013 at 11:45 AM.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
    A water park smacks of adolescent frills, young teens, bathing suits, imitation sand, towels, coin-op lockers, flip flops -- I just don't see enough class inherent in one to adorn itself with the Disney brand.

Not to disparage water parks! But it's not a suitable theme. There can't be enough diversity in experience, enough "magic" in one to border Disneyland without it seeming cheap, almost trailer park'ish in comparison. You could slap a Six Flags marquee on a water park absolutely, but not Disney, and certainly not bordering Disneyland.
    You are aware that there is a current Disney waterpark operating in Florida?

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    You are aware that there is a current Disney waterpark operating in Florida?
    Sure - but that's FLORIDA... Case closed.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Exactly. Whatever resort borders Disneyland had better measure up because it's going to be tied in together as a unit the way no WDW resorts are.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    The statements were "I just don't see enough class inherent in one to adorn itself with the Disney brand" and "You could slap a Six Flags marquee on a water park absolutely, but not Disney, and certainly not bordering Disneyland."

Neither specific to the location in a way that shows an awareness of the FL property water park currently operational nor the other now abandoned area(s).

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Water parks suit Florida, not anaheim. Mainly due to the fact that land is very limited and you'd really need a water park right attached to a Disney Hotel for it to work best. Anaheim is NOT above cheap water parks, but save that for non-disney companies.

I'm not crazy about water parks, but fine, put a Disney water park in a different location, maybe Cerritos, or Long Beach. But if it's RIGHT NEXT to Disneyland then it's tantamount to having a joint Esplanade. Might as well have a sign "Disneyland this way, flip flop wearing, nose cream people this way? -- Nope doesn't work, it's clunky and tacky.

The WDW universe doesn't have that problem.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast