Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: single rider

Re: single rider

Regarding supervision of children, the entire Disneyland Resort has a policy that all children under the age of 7 must be supervised by someone 14 or older. There are 4-year-olds who meet the 35" height requirement at Gadget's Go Coaster, for instance. That means that they are physically large enough to be safe in the ride's restraints, but that says nothing about whether they are behaviorally ready to be on their own. That 4-year-old would be turned away if he or she attempted to ride without someone 14 or older, even though the height requirement was met.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    ^it is abuse though; if a party gets to the front of the singles line and makes a fuss to go altogether, whatever empty seats they would have taken end up going by empty because they didnt want to split up--so it does mess with Disneys ultimate goal as well as those actually waiting in line
    That's a different scenario that does constitute abuse, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    I understand your opinion 100%.
    Thank you, but it's not my opinion. Those are the facts about why some attractions have Single Rider.

There is a need for an actual single rider line, for people visiting the park alone, people who are doing child swap, etc.
    People visiting the park alone dont suddenly "need" a shorter line, and the whole point of a Rider Switch is to allow the person who didn't ride to get a chance to ride with one other person, which they can't do as a single rider.

But, to have the line just to shorten the regular line, in my opinion, is no different than Fast Pass, so why not just combine the two? At least with Fast Pass, they limit the number of people who can use it a day, so it does not take away from the regular line (such as at Radiator Springs Racers).
    An attraction that has Single Rider typically has a seating configuration that tends to result in single empty seats with some frequency. Let's say there's no Single Rider offered, but there 100 people an hour who (for whatever reason) wouldn't mind being put in one of those empty seats, as opposed to the 1400 people an hour who expect to be sitting with their party. If the Standby wait is one hour, that's 1500 people in line, with the 100 would-be single riders scattered randomly throughout. The grouper or groupers will have a hard time finding them in a timely fashion, which results in a reduction in the attraction's capacity, which means fewer people get to enjoy the attraction each day, and the line moves more slowly. Everyone loses. Single Rider passes or queues allow Disney to put (nearly) all of the 100 people in one spot where the grouper or groupers can use them to fill empty seats as needed. That's why Single Rider exists. That's also why Single Rider doesn't lengthen the Standby wait. If anything, it shortens it by removing would-be Standby guests from that queue.

If every party starts splitting up and using the single rider line, and other parties use Fast Pass, eventually there will be no need for a standby line because the single rider line will be just as long as the standby line used to be.
    This is true. Single Rider depends on the fact that the majority of people prefer to sit with their friends and family. If that weren't the case, the wait times would be roughly equal and there'd be less of a reason for Single Rider to exist. But the vast majority of people do expect to sit with their friends and family.

Here's the bottom line. Groups in front of you in the Single Rider line make your wait longer. So it's natural to feel some frustration, because of course you want a short wait. But as long as people dont make a fuss about being split up, they are violating neither the letter nor the spirit of Disneyland Resort policies.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Unsupervised on the ride? In what situation is this a problem? If the child is tall enough, that child should also be okay being "unsupervised."
    There are three and four year olds that meet the height requirement for Splash Mountain...do you necessarily think it's a good idea for them to go on that ride alone or that their height is going to give them the maturity to handle it without a parent to supervise? I've seen kids try to stand up, put their hands outside the vehicles, etc. And as mentioned you have to be seven to ride anything alone, regardless of the height requirement..
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CMinParadise View Post
    That's a different scenario that does constitute abuse, yes.
    Totally misunderstood the post I quoted...my bad!

• Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    ^it is abuse though; if a party gets to the front of the singles line and makes a fuss to go altogether, whatever empty seats they would have taken end up going by empty because they didnt want to split up--so it does mess with Disneys ultimate goal as well as those actually waiting in line
    So let me get this straight... a group of four can get in the "single" rider lane then complain and get loaded on the ride as a group of four?

Sounds to me like the answer is "I'm so sorry, but this is the single rider line, which is for single riders, not groups. If you don't want to ride singly, please move to the standby line where groups of two or more are waiting."

That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

I think that if Disneyland instituted a policy that the Single Rider line would be strictly enforced and groups not allowed and the CMs were instructed to have a strict "no exceptions" policy, sending people who want to stick together to the standby line, the large groups that demand to stay together would stop getting in the Single Rider line. If you know that you will not get to ride together and that you will get split up or sent to Standby it would discourage groups who want to ride together getting in the Single Rider line.

Also, children under 7 shouldn't be allowed in the Single Rider line since it is a Disney policy that children under 7 can't ride solo anyway.

It's like enforcing Fastpass return times- make it a rule, instruct CMs to enforce it with no exceptions and people will grumble and complain but eventually comply and the level of abuse will go down.

• Element of Laughter

I like to use the single rider lines when, and only when, I'm "flying solo" at Disneyland. You do get a shorter wait time, at the expense of not being able to choose your seat(and on some rides, where you sit does make a difference), although the whole "your party will be split up" is negligible to me, seeing as it's kind of impossible to split up a party of one. I especially enjoy it in summer, when the temperature gets above 100, and I want to cool off on Splash Mountain(where I wait in the loading area, which, for some reason, feels about 20 degrees cooler than outside), or Grizzly River Rapids(depending on which park I'm in), or if I want to ride Soarin' Over California, where I can wait in the air conditioned ride building.
    ​Pinkamena Diane Pie, is that you?

• Singing Drinker

USH is pretty strict on Single Rider. I've on several occasions seen someone sent out from the load station when they suddenly insisted that they MUST be seated with the six other people in the family. *THAT* is abuse, and being shown the way to the regular line is the proper response.

Beyond that, as several people have covered very well, it's a very useful tool. Being able to call single riders from a designated line in to fill spots is a MUCH faster seating tool than "PARTY OF TWO? ANY PARTY OF yes sir I know there are eighteen of you but we can't fit you on this car TWO?"
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    The purpose of the single rider lines is to fill empty seats on ride cars. There is no real other reason. Disney doesn't care who is in line as long as there's someone ready to sit in an unused seat.
    ^^^ Exactly. The whole point is to not have unused seats.

It is fine for families or groups of friends to get into the single rider line. When they enter the line they each become "single riders". If anyone tries to claim they didn't know they were going to be split up, the CM should tell them that that is what the line is for and they can make a choice to stay and ride separately or exit the line.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    Per disney's own website, it is not just for individuals in the park but any group that will ride individually. The only abuse is when they get to the front and insist on riding together. I have seen CMs oblige, I have seen them send them out of line, and I have actually seen them refuse people with smaller children from even entering the line at RSR. Is it a bummer that you, being alone,have to wait longer in the SR line because there are groups in line ahead of you,sure, but it's not abuse of the system.

Also, having the single rider line does not add any wait time to the regular line, as the seats filled by SR would otherwise go empty.
    This is exactly my point. Why have a single rider line at all. We have only used them twice, once for my boyfriend on Indy and once on Radiator Springs again just my boyfriend. Why not have two lines for each ride, one line with groups of whatever capacity or more and one line with groups of whatever capacity or less. What I am getting at is the idea of a single rider line, should either be used as a single rider line, for the intended purpose of child/baby swap, or for people at the park solo, or it should just be mad into a separate line. I do find it abuse of the whole idea of a single rider line, whether it's considered against Disney policy or not. It just doesn't make sense to have it at all, in my opinion.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    ^^^ Exactly. The whole point is to not have unused seats.
    The point that I am trying to make is why the need for a single rider line on some rides, if it's going to create a shorter wait for some people. Why are those people more privileged than anyone else? Why should they get a shorter wait? Why doesn't everyone wait in the same line like they do on Disneyland's other rides, and they ask for a party of two, party of three, party of one, or whatever. On every ride at Disneyland that doesn't have a single rider line, the cast members will ask "party of one" or "party of two" down the row. Why not have that on every ride?

What I am talking about is one standard policy at Disneyland across all rides. Either make a single rider line for every ride, enforce the whole idea of a single rider line, or get rid of it all together. The inconsistency and the way things differ from ride to ride is one of the things about Disneyland that drives me nuts every visit.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    It's a very useful tool. Being able to call single riders from a designated line in to fill spots is a MUCH faster seating tool than "PARTY OF TWO? ANY PARTY OF yes sir I know there are eighteen of you but we can't fit you on this car TWO?"
    Again, if it's so useful, put it on every ride, or get rid of it. You shouldn't have to decipher a riding "rule" or strategy for every single ride. Just my opinion.

• Unhelpful User

What doesn't make sense?

There are several rides with individual seating, which means each rider has their own seat and isn't sitting on a long bench like on POTC or IASW or something.

Due to the nature of groups, these rides often have empty seats. For instance, two parties of two show up to RSR there are going to be two empty seats on that car.

The single rider gives Disney a constant supply of single riders who can sit in these individual seats, which allows more people to ride per hour with zero increase in the number of cars cycling through the track.

There is no other purpose. The singular goal of the single rider line is to fill in those empty seats, which it does.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    Again, if it's so useful, put it on every ride, or get rid of it. You shouldn't have to decipher a riding "rule" or strategy for every single ride. Just my opinion.
    How would "This line for parties of less than 4" "This line for parties of more than four" solve anything? You still have two lines that a group must figure out and choose between, but now instead of giving the front-line seating CM a unit that can be fit into any possible leftover space, you just give them two lines they have to sort through to find the missing pieces to fill the car.

The system before SR lines was awful. CMs yelling down the line for smaller parties to step forward, cars delayed as the people struggle past not always cooperative and usually fairly resentful larger parties, lower hourly rider counts etc. - SR fixes this in a way that allows people willing to be separated from their group an option that may get them through faster.

Of course, we could also try to enforce an option they used to use at a few of the old Six Flags parks - all guests MUST be paired into parties of two or they will be refused entry to the ride AT THE STATION. Yup, no single rider there - all the grief and anger are foisted on the party to figure out who has to approach and befriend a complete stranger so that they can ride.

As far as why not on every ride: most rides were built before this. It would take millions to retrofit them. And many rides don't need them. If you have a ride that frequently has excess hourly capacity or that already operates close to full, SR is only going to be a worthless expense.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• A Happy Haunt

As stated, single rider lines are to fill seats.
    I choose to use the single rider line, with my wife. We don't sit together but that is not the priority, we are adults and don't need to sit side by side on every ride. Unless its our first time on it.

it allows us to enjoy the ride, enjoy the park and sometimes have a good laugh with strangers.

If you have an issue... Try it out for yourself

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    How would "This line for parties of less than 4" "This line for parties of more than four" solve anything? The system before SR lines was awful. CMs yelling down the line for smaller parties to step forward, cars delayed as the people struggle past not always cooperative and usually fairly resentful larger parties, lower hourly rider counts etc.
    What I am saying, is to me, if groups of 12 are let into a single rider line, it's the same as having two separate lines. They send dozens of cars half empty, some completely empty at every ride at Disneyland and DCA, the idea that they are trying to fill every seat is just ludicrous. On Radiator Springs, with a two hour wait I have seen them leave a whole row empty. Why? Because the family wanted it that way. It's not so much the single rider line that is the issue, it's the inconsistency from ride to ride among CM's. I feel like there should be a set of "rules" for ride lines and all rides should follow those rules. It's okay if people disagree with me, but it just drives me crazy when CM's, even on the same ride, have different rules about things.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast