Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: single rider

• a wind to shake the stars

Re: single rider

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    This.

I'm not saying everyone abuses the single rider line, but it is being abused. When I was at Disneyland in May I noticed many large parties (mostly for RSR) enter the single rider line and tell the CM they're riding separately. If you have people who go to the park as a group but are willing to ride single to get a shorter line it will happen. And believe me, it is happening. I think single rider lines should be used for the sole purpose of just that. A single rider. Not a group of 5 who is willing to ride in separate ride vehicles just so they wait 25min instead of 60min.
    Why? The group of 5 is explicitly fulfilling the only purpose for the single rider lines. Like I said before Disney doesn't care who's in line, if it's 100 groups of 1 or 1 group of 100, as long as there's a single rider available on demand when a single seat is open.

If people are waiting in the line and then demanding to ride together that's a different issue entirely.

• Singing Drinker

This.

I'm not saying everyone abuses the single rider line, but it is being abused. When I was at Disneyland in May I noticed many large parties (mostly for RSR) enter the single rider line and tell the CM they're riding separately. If you have people who go to the park as a group but are willing to ride single to get a shorter line it will happen. And believe me, it is happening. I think single rider lines should be used for the sole purpose of just that. A single rider. Not a group of 5 who is willing to ride in separate ride vehicles just so they wait 25min instead of 60min.
    Being serious here.

How is this a problem with the Single Rider line concept, and not with the administration of the rules regarding it by the CM?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• The doctor is in

In my opinion, I think the single rider line's purpose should be to accommodate a person who wants to ride alone. Not a group of people just willing to ride separately. My brother goes to WDW, but he and his wife use the single rider and rider swap options to ride things that my nephew can't or doesn't want to ride. That or imagine a group where one person wants to ride something the others don't want to. They have the option to get in the single rider line and fill a spot. That's how it should be and I think that's what Disney intended it to be when it was introduced.

I'm not talking about the actual policy. It's the fact that the CM's aren't being responsible about who they're allowing to enter the line. It just seems like they're letting in anyone who is willing to ride single despite whether they're in a group or not.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    What doesn't make sense?

There are several rides with individual seating, which means each rider has their own seat and isn't sitting on a long bench like on POTC or IASW or something.

Due to the nature of groups, these rides often have empty seats. For instance, two parties of two show up to RSR there are going to be two empty seats on that car.

The single rider gives Disney a constant supply of single riders who can sit in these individual seats, which allows more people to ride per hour with zero increase in the number of cars cycling through the track.

There is no other purpose. The singular goal of the single rider line is to fill in those empty seats, which it does.
    Just quoting to emphatically agree.

I don't understand how anyone cannot grasp the single rider system. It doesn't make standby longer. Those cars would just pull away from the station without someone there, and that single rider would still be in the standby line, making it one person longer.

I'm sorry for all you solo DL visitors but I think you're missing the point of the line, it's not to make your trip more enjoyable, it's to increase guest throughput on the ride.

I find myself feeling like this whenever I see protests that the line is only intended for solo visitors, child swap, etc. No, it's not. I'm not sure why or how you have come to hold this opinion in the face of clear evidence that single rider increases ride throughput and reduces the standby line. I'm not sure how that can be a matter of opinion. Is it because the people IN the single rider line who came to DL alone are offended that groups in the single rider line have someone to talk to and they don't?

If I'm willing to sit anywhere at all in the car by myself instead of riding with my husband, I just made the standby line shorter for you so you can ride with your girlfriend. You should be THANKING me.

It just seems like they're letting in anyone who is willing to ride single despite whether they're in a group or not.
    I don't see how this matters if they are willing to ride single. I just don't.

Clearly the asshats who get to the front of the single rider line and make a stink are asshats. I mean people actually willing to ride single.

• Future HTH Bellhop.

I very much appreciate the single rider lines.
    Since I only go to Disneyland with my friend, we don't mind being split up.
    We're lazy teen males so we don't like to wait in a line if it's 35+ minutes.
    If an attraction has a single rider line, we'll always use that line. If the line is unavailable, oh well, we're not riding it.

(I also like to meet people on these lines.)

If the CM was rude, take his name and go to City Hall and voice your opinion, it's the only way for things to change and not let CM's with even minor attitude, agitated issues get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
    I'm sorry for all you solo DL visitors but I think you're missing the point of the line, it's not to make your trip more enjoyable, it's to increase guest throughput on the ride.
    This. Single Rider exists to fill empty slots on vehicles, not as some rewards system for people who come to Disneyland alone. I can see the single rider getting mad that there's 5 people ahead of them but you know what? That's life. In lines without single rider there are way more than 5 people ahead of you.

And I don't think unilateral, strict enforcement of single rider policy will result in the warfare that some people are predicting. When Fastpass started strictly enforcing return times people predicted Armageddon, but nothing happened. Some people grumbled and complained but the predicted instances of people ranting and raving and abusing CMs to be allowed an exception never materialized. If the rules and posted, and enforced, people will be more inclined to obey them. Nobody wants to stand for 40 minutes in single rider just to get out and go stand in standby. They are abusing single rider for one simple reason - they can.

• Singing Drinker

In my opinion, I think the single rider line's purpose should be to accommodate a person who wants to ride alone. Not a group of people just willing to ride separately. My brother goes to WDW, but he and his wife use the single rider and rider swap options to ride things that my nephew can't or doesn't want to ride. That or imagine a group where one person wants to ride something the others don't want to. They have the option to get in the single rider line and fill a spot. That's how it should be and I think that's what Disney intended it to be when it was introduced.

I'm not talking about the actual policy. It's the fact that the CM's aren't being responsible about who they're allowing to enter the line. It just seems like they're letting in anyone who is willing to ride single despite whether they're in a group or not.
    So every guest in Disneyland should be monitored throughout the day to ensure that their presence in a Single Rider Line is only possible if they showed up at the park alone? Aside from the screams of invasion of privacy, this will instantly run into people gaming the system who insist despite all other evidence that they are attending alone for the day. And if they spend that day exclusively in SR lines riding solo, who is in a position to then say that they're not?

Saying that SR lines should exclusively be used by people who came to the park alone is nearly impossible to verify and defeats the entire reason for the lines to begin with. They're not there to encourage you to tell your friends to take a flying leap - they're there to help fill individual holes in a car full of tourists in hopes of upping the hourly throughput. I'm *ALL* for telling anyone in a group using SR and refusing to be separated which cliff to jump off of - they're refusing to follow the pretty easily followed rules. Beyond that though? How many "I actually came to the park alone" visitors a day do you think there are, and how would you justify holding entire sections of line aside for the comparative handful (and nearly exclusively AP) of guests who show? Why not just say "APs only, here's your line"?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

That doesn't make any sense to me. I can't understand how someone separated from their group or attending the parks alone is any more deserving or in need of having a separate line.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    This. Single Rider exists to fill empty slots on vehicles, not as some rewards system for people who come to Disneyland alone. I can see the single rider getting mad that there's 5 people ahead of them but you know what? That's life. In lines without single rider there are way more than 5 people ahead of you.

And I don't think unilateral, strict enforcement of single rider policy will result in the warfare that some people are predicting. When Fastpass started strictly enforcing return times people predicted Armageddon, but nothing happened. Some people grumbled and complained but the predicted instances of people ranting and raving and abusing CMs to be allowed an exception never materialized. If the rules and posted, and enforced, people will be more inclined to obey them. Nobody wants to stand for 40 minutes in single rider just to get out and go stand in standby. They are abusing single rider for one simple reason - they can.
    At USH, I have on several occasions witnessed families and groups being told to return to the back of the standby line when they refused to be separated. Most then agree to be broken up, but I've personally witnessed a few being ushered out. My favorite was the "sticking to principles" woman on Jurassic Park who forced a SR group out of line and to the back of the regular line... which was about two boat loads from walkon anyway. I sent a thank you letter about her.

I've seen one or two of their staff capitulate, but they're definitely stricter.

• Minion

Disney does not care about how many people in a party enter the SR line. As long as they don't whine and groan to the CM up front, asking if they can ride together, then it is not abuse. All what Disney cares about is receiving the maximum capacity for the attraction. It is as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    That doesn't make any sense to me. I can't understand how someone separated from their group or attending the parks alone is any more deserving or in need of having a separate line.
    Nobody is more deserving to have special treatment, however it's good business. 95% of solo riders would be very uncomfortable standing in that long line alone. A drop in attendance would surely happen if you aren't able to accommodate such riders.

It evens out as CM's usually pick one or two from a group of solo riders to fill the empty slots on such as rides on Indy. The single rider queue isn't even that long, barely anyone. There's no reason to cut the time when a single rider can enter the line, those CM's need more training in being efficient because it can be done.

• Minion

Dr Fink, please explain how limiting those who enter the SR line to only solo visitors improves anything--why is that better than having groups enter? If theyre willing to split up what difference does it make? No matter how big a group of people is in the SR line, theyre all going to end up only taking one seat on an attraction, one that would go empty otherwise.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Solo visitors should not have to share the single rider line with non solo visitors because waiting in standby would be uncomfortable?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast