Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: single rider

single rider

I went over to indy today at about 11:15 at night. The line was long so I was going to use single rider. I went up to get a single rider and the cm said in a rude manner that it was too late to have one. I want to know what the logic is behind that. If I wait through single rider or standby line. What would be the difference. I'm going to take up the same space. I want to know.

Re: single rider

Too many single riders in the single rider line.

They do close it when the line gets too long. And it was close to park closing, they want to make sure there as few people in line as possible at closing.

Screamin is the same way. They usually close the single rider line there 20-30 mins prior to closing of Screamin for World of Color.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Single Rider can be opened or closed at the discretion of the Cast Member at the front. If the single rider line gets too long it can be closed off until the line dies down. It sometimes gets to the point where the single rider lines wait is close to the same as the stand-by line so they, once again, close the single rider line.

• Closed Account

The single rider line is one of the most flexible, expendable, and disposable lines at Disneyland. With rides like Indiana Jones and Radiator Springs Racers, many families and large groups split up their groups into single riders to use the shorter line, rather than waiting out the normal standby line. Sometimes, with Indiana Jones, the single rider line can be almost as long as the regular line, and when that happens, they shut down the single rider line. Also, most single rider lines are shut down 30-40 minutes before park closing, and sometimes earlier. They sort of "guesstimate" how many single riders will be able to get through the line before the ride closes, then shut the single rider line.

I think single rider lines have become a joke, especially since Radiator Springs Racers. Obvious abuse takes place all the time. I think when there is a party of 10-12 and they go all the way up to the line and then decide to split up, and are all allowed in the single rider line, that the cast members shouldn't allow it, but I understand that their normal policy is that if people want to ride solo, even if they are part of the same group that they can. There have been days when I have seen the single rider line for Radiator Springs top 60 minutes, with the standby line being 2 hours. Most of the people in the single rider line are not riding solo, but are simply seeking a shorter line.

Due to the obvious abuse of the single rider lines, it would be easy for Disneyland to get rid of them all together, but because some of the ride cars are designed so that there are an odd number of seats with individual harnesses, I think it will exist for at least the immediate future.

•   

What you're describing isn't abuse, johnlawwhiskey. Of course they're seeking a shorter line. From the guest perspective, the point of Single Rider is to have a shorter line. From the cast perspective, the point of Single Rider is to ensure that as many people get to enjoy the attraction as possible. It's not about providing incentives for visiting the parks alone.

• Minion

^it is abuse though; if a party gets to the front of the singles line and makes a fuss to go altogether, whatever empty seats they would have taken end up going by empty because they didnt want to split up--so it does mess with Disneys ultimate goal as well as those actually waiting in line

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by CMinParadise View Post
    What you're describing isn't abuse, johnlawwhiskey. Of course they're seeking a shorter line. From the guest perspective, the point of Single Rider is to have a shorter line. From the cast perspective, the point of Single Rider is to ensure that as many people get to enjoy the attraction as possible. It's not about providing incentives for visiting the parks alone.
    I understand your opinion 100%. In my opinion, taking a group of 10-12 people, splitting them up, and letting them all go through single rider lines, is abuse of a single rider line. There is a need for an actual single rider line, for people visiting the park alone, people who are doing child swap, etc. But, to have the line just to shorten the regular line, in my opinion, is no different than Fast Pass, so why not just combine the two? At least with Fast Pass, they limit the number of people who can use it a day, so it does not take away from the regular line (such as at Radiator Springs Racers). If every party starts splitting up and using the single rider line, and other parties use Fast Pass, eventually there will be no need for a standby line because the single rider line will be just as long as the standby line used to be. In my opinion, it's abusing a system that was not created for that purpose.

Everyone should wait in one line if they don't have a Fast Pass. The CM's can pull groups out of line that have smaller parties, like they do on many rides that don't have single rider lines. They do this by asking "how many is in your party" and then pulling groups of 1 or 2 to the front.

It's just like the people who use one handicap card, stamped with the highest number of people they can get, but then they show up with 10-12 people in their group and the CM lets everyone ride. It's abuse, whether Disney sees it that way or not.

• Functional & Decorative

I have to admit, I don't really see how that's abuse, either. If a group goes through the single rider line and don't mind being split up, then it's fine. As I recall, even the signage states "groups will be split up". So that's following the rules. It's the groups that go through single rider and then insist on riding together when it becomes a problem. Single rider is never guaranteed to be a shorter wait. In fact, on Soarin', I often find it longer, because single seat are more scarce.

Single rider lines are not around to make for a shorter line. It's to best maximize seating in the attraction, and used to fill individual empty seats that would otherwise be wasted. That's it's only purpose. It's not any sort of special line for people who are literally alone in the park. It's not meant to be a shorter wait. It just often turns out that way, but that's not the priority.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

•   
    • Minion

I visit the park solo a lot so I end up in the single rider lines quite often. IMHO there's really one major instance when they are abused: when a group "splits up" to go in the line, and then makes a stink about staying together to the CM who is loading the ride. I've seen people do that with six and seven year olds, and when they get to the front, they're all "oh, but my child is only six, you can't split us up." And that's a lose-lose situation...the CM has to either let the family abuse the single rider line or the CM has to split them and worry about the kid being unsupervised on the ride.

IMHO for that reason parents and smaller kids shouldn't be allowed in the single rider line, and if groups make a fuss about being split up they should be sent to the back of standby...
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Closed Account

They should rename the single rider line "Smart People Line" and the regular line "Moron Line" if everyone feels that it should be okay to split up large groups for the Single Rider Line. It just doesn't make sense. Penalize people who want to ride together with a longer wait, let 12 teenagers who are in the same group ride individually wait less.

While Soarin' is one of those where you often wait longer in the single rider line, there is usually at least an hour less line for Radiator Springs Racers and often 30 minutes or more less of a line for Indiana Jones. It's not about rewarding people who travel to Disneyland alone, it's about making the line make sense, using it for child/baby swaps (even though I don't have kids), using it for people who truly have a small party and can fill empty seats, etc. They could even limit it, if you have a group that is less than the capacity of a ride vehicle you could use single rider line and split up, but if you have a group that is more than the capacity of a ride vehicle, then you have to use the regular line. I'm not talking about groups of 2, 3, 4, or even 6 who use the single rider line and split up, what I am talking about is groups of 10, 12, even 15 who all get in the single rider line. To me, that's just not the way it should be.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I visit the park solo a lot so I end up in the single rider lines quite often. IMHO there's really one major instance when they are abused: when a group "splits up" to go in the line, and then makes a stink about staying together to the CM who is loading the ride. I've seen people do that with six and seven year olds, and when they get to the front, they're all "oh, but my child is only six, you can't split us up." And that's a lose-lose situation...the CM has to either let the family abuse the single rider line or the CM has to split them and worry about the kid being unsupervised on the ride.

IMHO for that reason parents and smaller kids shouldn't be allowed in the single rider line, and if groups make a fuss about being split up they should be sent to the back of standby...
    Unsupervised on the ride? In what situation is this a problem? If the child is tall enough, that child should also be okay being "unsupervised."

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    This goes back to CM's not policing lines, and there being no consistency of ride lines. It's like when they check a child's height at the entrance and they are tall enough, but then they check it near the ride and they aren't tall enough. What is needed is consistency. Measure a child once, give them a wristband or some way to mark their height, even if it's a stamped card, and go on with the day, none of this at the discernment of individual cast members, even those working the same ride.

If a child is not old enough to ride a ride alone, they should not be permitted to get in either line, single rider or the regular line without an adult. The splitting families up into two lines and reuniting them later should definitely be frowned upon. And, if somehow a family sneaks past and tries to pull it at the front of the line, send them back to the end of the standby line.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Unsupervised on the ride? In what situation is this a problem? If the child is tall enough, that child should also be okay being "unsupervised."
    It is Disneyland 'law' that all children must be at least 7 (I believe?) to ride rides alone, and 14 to ride with children that are under 7.

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    They should rename the single rider line "Smart People Line" and the regular line "Moron Line" if everyone feels that it should be okay to split up large groups for the Single Rider Line. It just doesn't make sense. Penalize people who want to ride together with a longer wait, let 12 teenagers who are in the same group ride individually wait less.

While Soarin' is one of those where you often wait longer in the single rider line, there is usually at least an hour less line for Radiator Springs Racers and often 30 minutes or more less of a line for Indiana Jones. It's not about rewarding people who travel to Disneyland alone, it's about making the line make sense, using it for child/baby swaps (even though I don't have kids), using it for people who truly have a small party and can fill empty seats, etc. They could even limit it, if you have a group that is less than the capacity of a ride vehicle you could use single rider line and split up, but if you have a group that is more than the capacity of a ride vehicle, then you have to use the regular line. I'm not talking about groups of 2, 3, 4, or even 6 who use the single rider line and split up, what I am talking about is groups of 10, 12, even 15 who all get in the single rider line. To me, that's just not the way it should be.
    Per disney's own website, it is not just for individuals in the park but any group that will ride individually. The only abuse is when they get to the front and insist on riding together. I have seen CMs oblige, I have seen them send them out of line, and I have actually seen them refuse people with smaller children from even entering the line at RSR. Is it a bummer that you, being alone,have to wait longer in the SR line because there are groups in line ahead of you,sure, but it's not abuse of the system.

Also, having the single rider line does not add any wait time to the regular line, as the seats filled by SR would otherwise go empty.

• a wind to shake the stars

The purpose of the single rider lines is to fill empty seats on ride cars. There is no real other reason. Disney doesn't care who is in line as long as there's someone ready to sit in an unused seat.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast