View Poll Results: Where do you like to sit on rides?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Front

8 13.56%
  • Back

5 8.47%
  • Middle

0 0%
  • It depends on the ride

46 77.97%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Element of Laughter

Cool Where do you like to sit on rides?

On the various rides at the Disneyland Resort, where do you prefer to sit?
    ​Pinkamena Diane Pie, is that you?

• Minion

Re: Where do you like to sit on rides?

Depends on the ride.

Space Mountain I like the front, Big Thunder I like the back. Splash I'd rather be in the back because you get completely soaked in the front. Radiator Springs front on the end. Matterhorn I don't particularly care. Especially now with the horrible new sleds, no matter what I know it's going to be a painful experience, LOL.

• Singing Drinker

I demand to sit front row center seat on everything.

This leads to some interesting fights on the Teacups and Subs.

No, seriously, depends on the ride type, the ride itself. Pretty heavily.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• formerly very helpful

As everyone has said, it really depends on the ride. If it's a roller coaster, like Big Thunder or Space Mountain, I prefer the front, since it's actually slower and I'm not the dare devil I used to be. If it's a ride with lots of stuff to see, like POTC, I want the front. Splash Mountain, I usually take the back if possible, since I'm not crazy about getting water on my glasses.

• Minion

It depends on the ride.

Attractions I like to sit in the back are BTMRR, Star Tours, Matterhorn, California Screamin, and Splash

Attractions I like to sit in the front are Space, Pirates, Indy, Small World, Racers, and Soarin

For all the rest of the attractions I do not have any preferences as to where I sit.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

I have some overweight friends and they stick me in the fron on Splash Mountain, now im a twig but STILL i get soaked, i ride it with others my size and i hardly get wet. the lesson is if your overweight friends are giggling at you dont ride Splash Mountain in the front

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Element of Laughter

As for myself, it depends on the ride. On coasters, I like sitting in back, because in front, when you get to the top of the lift hill, you don't start speeding up until you're halfway down, but in back, you start speeding up right away. On Splash, I like the front, because you get wetter there(I only go on Splash Mountain when it's either over 90 degrees out or when it's raining, one instance where getting wet is a good way to cool off, the other where it doesn't matter if you get wet), on Indy or Star Tours(my last visit was August 2010, so there are some things I have yet to experience), I prefer the corners, on Pirates or small world, especially late in the day, I prefer the front(I like to stretch my legs in that little nook under the bow on the front row), on Soarin', I prefer the middle(the illusion works better, IMHO, if you can't see that you're watching a movie screen), on the Fantasyland dark rides, I prefer the back(the ride is slightly different in back), and everything else, it doesn't really matter. . .
    ​Pinkamena Diane Pie, is that you?

i love to sit in the front!!!!!! hands dowwn
    To all who come to this Happy Place.... WELCOME ºoº
    -ig: thelipsticklizz tw:lipsticklizz

• Selfie Expert

I prefer the front on almost every ride, except BTMRR where I prefer the back. I voted front since it's my preference on the vast majority.

I am very much a thrill ride person, and even though I know the back of a coaster is supposedly faster feeling, I think being the person who is either the one staring over the edge of a giant steep hill (Screamin') or completely in the dark with no people in front of me (Space) is far more thrilling!! I LOVE IT!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Disney Trivia Queen

If it's a fast ride I like the back! Especially BTMRR, the back is faster and works best with the goat trick. And Splash because you don't get as wet! The only other ride that matters to me in either park is Soarin' because I hate having feet dangling in front of me, they are so distracting. Anything else I don't really care about, although I guess I prefer to sit on the side of the subs that is facing into the lagoon rather than towards the loading dock.

• Foolish Mortal

BTMRR-back
    MTRHRN-front
    SPCMTN-n/a
    SPLSHMTN-back
    POTC-back
    SOARIN'-row 1 (top row)
    CALISCRMN'-n/a
    INDYJNS-front
    RDTRSPRNGS-front
    CSYJR-back (caboose)

I love sitting in the back on Big Thunder and Screamin'. On Soarin' I have to sit in the first row so that peoples feet aren't dangling in front.

•   
    • White Water Snacker!

I doesn't matter to me where I sit on a ride, except for two. Radiator Springs Racers and Space Mountain.

On Racers, since I'm usually doing Single Rider and I always sit at the end of the row, I prefer the back seat because there's more leg room back there.

On Space, I always prefer either row 3 or row 6. Sitting in the other rows puts me at risk of having annoying screaming people behind me, which ruins the ride for me.

Like many others said, it all depends on the ride. If it's a really fast and exciting ride, I like to sit in the back. Space Mountain, Big Thunder, California Screaming, you name it. The G's and near whiplash moments really give the rides a kick that I love. However, for Splash Mountain I prefer to sit in the back. For one thing, Single Riders like me nearly always get the back. Also, I get less wet when I ride in the back. I know, why ride a water ride whose intentions are to make you wet if you don't want to get wet? For slow rides that just want to show the scenery off, I don't really care where I sit. I get a pretty good view of It's a Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc. Strangely the only exception to this is the Disneyland Railroad. I always want to sit as close as I can to the engine to hear the whistle sound, the bells ring, the engine chuff, the blowdowns blow...

PS: On an unrelated note, Pinkie is one of my favorites out of all the Mane Six
    Last edited by Bongo; 07-10-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Just a fun "sciency" quote from a physics web site article about Roller Coasters...

Another complication we have not yet considered is that a coaster train is long. Different forces can operate on the front and the back of the train. Often, the ride in the front is distinctly different from the back.

Think of a train going over the top of the lift hill. There is a certain point at which it is precisely balanced on the crest of the hill. Before this point, it is driven by the chain. After this, gravity takes over, and it starts accelerating. Before this balance point, the front of the train has already started to go slowly over the top, at the speed of the lift chain. By the time the back gets over the top, the train is already moving faster. Thus, the front seat rider often has a sensation of dangling over the drop, while the back seat rider feels yanked over it (more so on a long train than a short one).

On other hills, the train is slowing down as the train begins to climb over the top, and speeding up again as it starts to descend again. Thus, if there is any airtime to be had before the top of the hill, it will be best in the front, as that is the part of the train moving fastest there, but airtime after the top of a hill will be best in the back. Thus, depending on the configuration of hills on a coaster, it may a better front seat ride or back seat ride.

Positive Gs from the bottom of a drop should be better in the middle of the train than either the front or back seat. This is because when the front of the train is at the bottom, it is still accelerating, while when the back is at the bottom, it is starting to slow down again. Thus, the train is moving fastest when the middle has reached the bottom. I have never noticed this myself, and haven't heard anybody else report it either. I suspect that there are a couple of reasons for this. First, the differences in speed are less pronounced than at the top of a hill (because there is less time for gravitational acceleration to affect the train when it is moving faster). Second, it is probably harder to tell the difference between, say, 3.4 and 3.6 Gs than it is to distinguish between -0.1 and 0.1 Gs.
    Read more here if you want to nerd out on coaster physics...

CEC: Coaster Physics

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast