Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Re: DL or DCA need a bigger Tron presence + bring back ElecTRONica!

Quote Originally Posted by montanamouse View Post
    Have to agree with this statement. It's my guess that for every one fan of Tron, there are four people who couldn't care less. Sorry Tron fans, IMHO there is little to no Tron in the parks because there is little to no demand from the audience.
    Is that why Electronica was wildly successful or why Splash Mountain became popular? I have to strongly disagree with the sentiment that somehow box office performance automatically translates to attraction popularity. Heck I didn't even watch the whole Tron movie but those lightcycles would be something unique that can't be experienced anywhere. Sometimes creative vision needs to take priority over raw statistics.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-11-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Flynn lives!!! Light Cycles at Tomorrowland would be incredible... Even the Tron "aircraft" could be introduced as some sort of ride in DCA's Condor Flats.. maybe?

•   
    • Minion

Agreed. ^^^ If Disney makes an awesome or appealing attraction, people aren't going to care what it's based on, be it an obscure film or no film at all (see: Matterhorn, Gadget's Go Coaster, Splash Mountain, iasw, Space Mountain, BTMRR, etc.). Most people who go to the Tower of Terror probably aren't fans of the old-school Twilight Zone; they just love the ride and the environment. I've never seen Cars and I have no interest in doing so; I still love Cars Land. If the ride is good, they're just going to show up and enjoy, regardless of the ride's origins.

There are a lot of interesting things the Imagineers could do with the world of Tron and the visuals that would appeal to people whether they liked the movies or not.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Where did I mention box office? In fact the box office was pretty strong for the last movie. Splash became popular because it is a great ride, I agree with that. Sure, a Tron ride could be great...or Tron in the park could resemble a mediocre display of superhero costumes. Also, I think that Electronica was popular with a certain subset of people looking for that kind of atmosphere at a Disney park in California, but I don't know for a fact that Tron was the main reason for its success ..seems like it is still popular with a new theme, no?

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Agreed. ^^^ If Disney makes an awesome or appealing attraction, people aren't going to care what it's based on, be it an obscure film or no film at all (see: Matterhorn, Gadget's Go Coaster, Splash Mountain, iasw, Space Mountain, BTMRR, etc.)
    Splash Mountain is based off Song of the South.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Greetings, Program!

TRON's return to the parks is inevitable with the new movie coming and the popularity ElecTRONica enjoyed last time. Just a matter of time.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Vidia's Minion

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    because the lack of success of the movie.
    It didn't do too bad really. At least it made it's money back plus a little.

One thing's for sure though, we'll never see a John Carter or Lone Ranger land/ride.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Exactly, a film that not many people know of. Almost every time I ride I always hear "was this a movie or something?" People don't care because its a great attraction...the same could go for a tron ride

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Agreed. ^^^ If Disney makes an awesome or appealing attraction, people aren't going to care what it's based on, be it an obscure film or no film at all...
    If the ride is good, they're just going to show up and enjoy, regardless of the ride's origins...
    There are a lot of interesting things the Imagineers could do with the world of Tron and the visuals that would appeal to people whether they liked the movies or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
    One thing's for sure though, we'll never see a John Carter or Lone Ranger land/ride.
    I think that a ride not themed to a movie can do well if it is a great ride. I also think that a ride themed to a successful movie will do better at first just because of the movie recognition but will fail if it is not a great ride. I also think that a ride themed to a movie that was not considered a success CAN be a success if it is a great ride and captures at least one unique element from the movie that will satisfy fans without alienating those who didn't like the movie and capturing the imagination of those who never saw it. Tron bikes could be a ride in that last category.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I know, but point is, it's not a film with a lot of fans, or even a film most people have even seen, due to circumstances...so people aren't riding Splash because they're superfans of Song of the South. They're riding because they love the attraction. Same with the Go Coaster; if you asked a random sample of the kids on line if they know who Gadget is they'd probably have no idea.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Interesting points on box-office not relating to guest's interest in riding an attraction. I'm certain that many guests between the age of 3 and whatever gravitate to Radiator Springs Racers and the other attractions in Cars Land because of their attraction to the Cars universe.

My feeling has always been that the franchise piques the interest and the attraction entertains on its own design and execution merits. Matterhorn and Expedition Everest work without a film or TV franchise behind them. Pirates worked better without a movie behind it. Submarine Voyage may have been seeing declining numbers before it was shuttered and then reimagined as Nemo.

I do think there is marquee value though and Disney is certainly taking the popularity of a given franchise into account when looking at attractions. At the end of the day, Kali Rapids is fun and I could care less whether it tied into some entertainment IP.

Incredibly savvy marketing and entertainment development people at Disney and Universal and so on are looking at every angle on these things and they rarely get it wrong.

How many of the throngs of people I encountered last week as they explored Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse had ever seen the movie on which the attraction is based? 1%? 5%? I'd argue that WDW's version is far better than the repurposed Tarzan model in California. And that film was a runaway success when compared to Robinson.
    ~ Erik

• Former Churro Jockey

Bottom line is that a good ride is a good ride, and a crappy ride is a crappy ride. As I mentioned I thought both Tron movies were pretty stupid, but the world itself is pretty cool and they way that they brought that world to life with Electronica was fun. The scene with the light cycles is cool and probably the most memorable from the film, so I'd be excited for the ride, but if it turns out to be another Rocket Rods then it's going to fail, but if it's RSR with bikes instead of cars (and in the dark) then it will probably be awesome. The only thing that the box office success of the movie has to do with the ride is getting people to go to the parks specifically for that experience (see: Harry Potter) in the first place.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Litwak's Arcade.
    Thanks, yes this one
    First visit to a Disney Park was to Tokyo Disneyland in Oct, 2005. I was hooked! Was so blessed to visit Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea in 2009, the original Disneyland and California Adventure in 2010, Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea in 2011, and an incredible 5 night stay at Disneyland Paris in February 2013.

• Banned User

I think this proves that when people just like something they can justify it going into the parks and when they dont they cant.

I been reading how Avatar is an AWFUL idea because apparantly its not really all that cool, no one cares about it, kind of blase even though it made nearly $3 billion dollars in the theaters alone and it DOES have a confirmed sequel which will be out by the time the land is finished.

Meanwhile, Tron Legacy, which I liked, only got so-so reviews and barely covered its budget but yet people can overlook it because the concept is still good...which I agree. But so is Avatars! And its based on a film people went and actually saw. A lot of people. Im not advocating for either Im only making the point Tron is WORSE idea on paper when you look at the demand for it, which is minimum in popular culture land, but people can still argue the CONCEPT can work.

I actually agree with the OP, I think that Tron is a cool idea but same time its appeal factor seems to be low given that it had almost no buzz mostly.
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 07-28-2013 at 11:55 PM.

• SORCERER

The Music and Visuals of TRON is AMAZING on it OWN.

Regardless if people dont think the movie wasn't good. Daft punk was on the soundtrack for godsakes. You cant get much better than that. I can see a Tommorowland surrounded in blue LED lines and Tron ascetics with the Tron soundtrack in the background and Cast Members wearing Tron Suits that light up. It would just be awesome.

And Star wars and Tron can live together

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast