Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• No Disassemble!

Re: Is it time to replace Toontown?

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    My personal feeling is that ToonTown needs to be Fixed. It was a lot more fun before the lawyers took so many things out. Donald's boat is a mirror shadow of what it use to be, for example.
    This is exactly what the problem is. Toontown (for kids) used to be a park within "the park". Everywhere you looked there was a queue going to somewhere and even the littlest things like Goofy's Bounce House or Chip N' Dales Acorn Pit were wildly popular and fun.

Today's Toontown serves, if nothing else, as an example of Disney's willingness to let things fall by the wayside in the face of challenge (OSHA closing most of these things down) and then do next to nothing to re-imagine these attractions to draw the kinds of crowds that they were intended to draw. I may be wrong but I think the Toontown closures pre-date the Rocket Rods abandonment. That's a long time for guests to see things like the image below and wonder what's its purpose...

Photo courtesy of the watermarked forum site:
    Name:  082712-dl016-lrg.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  164.3 KB

So like others I say, it is less a time to replace Toontown but more a time to rebuild it. Destroying it is an insult to the imagineers who put it together and an added insult to those who made the greatest multi-studio animated film of all time.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

I certainly think so.
    HAVE A ZIPPIDY DOO DAH DAY
    ~HAKUNA MATATA~
    Amanda

I honestly doubt it would cross anyone's mind to get rid of it. Of course, everyone knows Disneyland is created for both adults & children to enjoy, but there seems to be a bit more for the younger ones to enjoy there. Plus, it houses meet and greets for classic Disney characters and a chance to peek into their homes. I would love a refurbishment, personally

I doubt they'd demolish an entire land. Refurb or updating to me is where it's at.

After all, the other lands in Disneyland have had refurbs/updates, so maybe Toontown needs one.

• Singing Drinker

Refurb and update definitely in my view.

As with many others here I have fond memories of Disney Afternoon. I question leaving up closed attractions based on it, and would gladly see the end of the GoCoaster (*sniff* Gadget was mah FAVORITE) if it meant a rethinking if that area.

The Fab Five are currently in full representation (attraction-wise, not necessarily quality wise). I'd love to see them repair and touch up the operational attractions, redesign so that the partially closed or radically reduced attractions (Donald, looking at you and a bounce house next door here) are brought to the Micky/Minnie level, and perhaps see the TV-based properties replaced by something related to other "stable" character. Heck, I think you could make a case for a "Great Movie Ride"-style attraction themed to be a mad tour through the back alleys of Toontown. Take out the Rescue Ranger wing of the land, put in a decent dark ride and declare victory.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Bulldozer the whole thing (and push back a ways into backstageland) then build:

LONDON STREET

ATTRACTIONS

Marry Poppins.... Take a jolly holiday with Mary, Bert and the whole gang aboard a Carousel Theater(think America Sings, but better) of supercalifragilisticexpialidocious musical excitement.

David Copperfield.... Board a shay for an animatronic-horse drawn journey thru the London of Charles Dickens; follow the trials and triumphants of his semi-autobiographical hero.....David Copperfield. During the Winter season this attraction is made-over into a Christmas Carol.

Basil of Baker St..... Follow the Great Mouse Detective in his quest to save the British Empire....interactive clue gathering walk-thru & ride (think Haunted Mansion meets Midway Mania)

Narnia.... Visit some of the more memorable scenes in the Narnia series (think Great Movie Ride except all Narnia).

RESTAURANTS

Perdita's Pub.... Fish and Chips, chicken fingers, and Shepard's Pie on a stick. (window service, Lunch, Dinner, Snack)

Ashbury Inn.... Fine dining inside/adjacent to the David Copperfield attraction(think Blue Bayou except high tea English instead of southern) (Full service, Lunch, Dinner, Desert)

A trifle much....English cakes, pies, and of course trifle's. (window service, snack, desert)

SHOPS

Dalmatians.... Name says it all. Find everything from t-shirts to tea-cozy's here all decorated in a style that the infamous Cruella de vil herself would envy.

Dr. Dawson's curio shop.... Rare items from around the world can be found in this most interesting little store.

The Wardrobe.... Narnia toys, dolls, clothes and whatnots can be found in this establishment.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by MWH1980 View Post
    I doubt they'd demolish an entire land. Refurb or updating to me is where it's at.

After all, the other lands in Disneyland have had refurbs/updates, so maybe Toontown needs one.
    They demolished Toontown in WDW and it's now all Fantasyland. As awesome as the Be Our Guest restaurant looks in the pictures, maybe I wouldn't mind if they did the same at DL. Give us the Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs Coaster, Mickey's Philharmagic, the Be Our Guest Restaurant, keep Mickey & Minnie's house they way they are, keep Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, and add a ton of trees and maybe a nice lagoon.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• formerly very helpful

I wouldn't mind that solution. Bottom line is if they want to improve the situation of a land that's falling far below its potential, they have to do something. As much as I personally don't have any emotional connection to ToonTown, it would be a shame to see it go completely gone. They would at least have to add much more to it in terms of full attractions - on par with Cartoon Spin, or better. Also, some more trees to shade it up and pretty it up.

• Parking Lot > DCA

As others have said, no on the demo. TLC, yes.

Toontown is lacking in some areas, but demoing it out wouldn't be the answer. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin IMO is one of the best rides in the park, and on any given day has a line time of 45 minutes or more. It just needs more than one solid attraction. A while back there was a rumor of Goofy's No-Bouncing-or-Fun-Allowed House being turned into an interactive game type thing but I think that is no more..

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    I wouldn't mind Jessica being there either, if she was a face character of course.
    Keep on dreamin', friend.

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    As others have said, no on the demo. TLC, yes.

Toontown is lacking in some areas, but demoing it out wouldn't be the answer. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin IMO is one of the best rides in the park, and on any given day has a line time of 45 minutes or more. It just needs more than one solid attraction.
    That's the right answer. Put another darkride over in the opposite corner from RR. There's room backstage if they get creative (Maybe put it as the second story of a parking structure or maintenance shed.). More, not less is the answer for that land. The whole idea was to take the pressure off FL, and a second dark ride should help do the trick.

I would like to send all my Best Wishes to Toontown that it gets the love it needs to be joyful and sparkling. I love going there. It brings out the four-year-old in me.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

Aladdin or Lion king ride back there. pronto

or both for that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo123 View Post
    Aladdin or Lion king ride back there. pronto
    I don't see them fitting the Toontown aesthetic. When one thinks of it, Toontown was what the Fantasy Fair just to the left of Sleeping Beauty Castle is: a place where you knew where to meet certain characters.

I think it used to be you could have characters just wandering throughout Disneyland, but in this day and age, they set them up like celebrities.

I still wish they would find a way to make Goofy's House a bit more interesting. I think I was able to go inside it in 2010, and it just was terrible compared to the pics I remember seeing in the Disney New magazine in 1993 (though at that time, given size/age/weight requirement, I wasn't even able to go in there when I was 13).

But I agree with a post above, that if there could be another ride as exciting as Car Toon Spin in Toontown, you could get people back there.

• Senior Minion

Ah the old pro-Toontown vs anti-Toontown arguement.
    Or as it could more acurately be described as - People with Kids vs People without Kids.

Toontown should NOT be scrapped but should be refurbed.
    When I was there in 2011 it was clear that it was a former shadow of itself even at a casual glance. I aslo made the mistake of choosing to go there on the hotest day of my visit...

But to put it in perspective for regular DL goers - imagine the standard of Toontown throughout the entire two parks..... and you have been magically transported to Disneyland Paris! Don't feel quite so bad now huh?
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast