Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 56
  1. #16

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: Why so little love for Toontown and A Bug's Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I would be fine with this under two conditions:

    1. They need to put in four more rides that have no height requirement

    2. Those rides and the new area need to be as well-themed as what is being replaced
    I agree. DCA lacks attractions that appeal to the entire family and are high quality, an ingredient that has made Disneyland very successful.
    Last edited by frollofan; 07-11-2013 at 09:36 AM.

  2. #17

    • Buena Vista St. & Red Car
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lancaster, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Why so little love for Toontown and A Bug's Land?

    I'm one of the few, but I actually really enjoy and love the concept of "a bug's land". Execution of the land is the problem. The theming is top notch and landscaping wonderful; the attractions are lacking.

    If I were in charge, I would definitely keep ITTBAB (best 3D show in a Disney, wonderful AA's, and a completely immersive lobby and theater), Flik's Flyers (great themed spinner), and Hemlich's. I would expand Hemlich's in the land to take the place of Tuck N Roll and Francis' and make it an attraction more in tune with an attraction like Casey Jr.'s, perhaps with a small indoor, dark ride-esque scene. I think it would be awesome to see the ride vehicles changed from the character to a train made from objects taken by bugs (like Flik's Flyers). I would love to somehow move the entrance of ITTBAB to be more within the land (closer to Cereal Box somehow). Maybe even move Fliks to old Fracis pad and put entrance over there.

    I would also add an eatery near where the current ITTBAB is. This is going to back to DCA 1.0. It would be great to have the Shake Shack (date shakes mmmm) back as well as a little snack shop serving small, picnic-inspired (to fit land theme) food items (ants on a log, anyone?)

    The land certainly has a lot of potential to be even more fun and immersive. I love the whole theme of bugs and being in their world; it resonates across ages.

    Also, I never understood the "a bug's land" doesn't fit into CA theme. They're bugs...they honestly could be anywhere. The movie setting obviously shows a place that could be in any of the oak grassland valleys of CA. It's not that much of a stretch. I bet the Pixar artist were partially inspired for the setting of this movie by locations near the campus in Emeryville. I actually just bought a book for my classroom, "Aesop in California", which has the story of the Ants and the Grasshopper (which inspired A Bug's Life) and the research location for the illustrations was Quail Lake here in Southern California (whole book uses CA settings to tell Aesop's tales). The illustrations looked quite similar to the setting of the movie.
    Last edited by SoCalFan; 07-11-2013 at 09:35 AM.

  3. #18

    •   
    • Lurking in the corners
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nothern Ohio
    Posts
    678
    Blog Entries
    22

    Re: Why so little love for Toontown and A Bug's Land?

    What I am getting from those who wish to remove TT and ABL is that...

    1) The areas have no appeal for anyone over the age of 5 and the original Disney philosophy was that the attractions were to be for the WHOLE FAMILY

    and

    2) The areas are poorly cared for, too crowded because of dead ending issues, and/or extremely dated and should not be renovated/plussed/rethought.

    Am I reading that correctly? If so...

    1) All rides with a height requirement should be removed from the park. If the whole family can't ride it, it shouldn't be allowed. Also, Mad T Party should be discontinued because it is a venue for the "over-21" set to drink and dance. Before you say "That is different" remember you can't have it both ways. Either the whole park is for the whole family or there should be some things that appeal to only a few age groups (Toddler/preschool, children, teens, adults, seniors) but not to all.

    2) Tomorrowland should be torn down and some other area/land inserted because it is poorly cared for and extremely dated. Sacrillige? YES! If the idea is sound and the theming is good, why tear it out instead of renovating/plussing/rethinking the areas?

    Toontown: I like the idea from thedustycoyote to retheme Toontown from a Roger Rabbit styling to an Early Disney styling. That would not necessarily mean that Roger Rabbit would need to leave, as he is a cartoon. Maybe even make sure there is always a pair of characters there for general open-air meet-n-greet duty.

    A Bug's Land: I like some of SoCalFan's ideas to plus ABL. Adding a small whole family ride could also be a nice touch.

    “That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

  4. #19

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Why so little love for Toontown and A Bug's Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    1) All rides with a height requirement should be removed from the park. If the whole family can't ride it, it shouldn't be allowed.
    Thumbs up!!! Every single ride that has a height requirement should have an option to have a tame version.

    A tame Indy Ride. No bouncing. No scary sounds and no bugs.

    A slow Space Mountain ride. Lots of braking. Light up.

    A No SplashZone Mountain. Offer a separate route to avoid the final plunge.

  5. #20

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: Why so little love for Toontown and A Bug's Land?

    [QUOTE=Attic Haunt;1056999062]


    1) All rides with a height requirement should be removed from the park. If the whole family can't ride it, it shouldn't be allowed. Also, Mad T Party should be discontinued because it is a venue for the "over-21" set to drink and dance. Before you say "That is different" remember you can't have it both ways. Either the whole park is for the whole family or there should be some things that appeal to only a few age groups (Toddler/preschool, children, teens, adults, seniors) but not to all
    [QUOTE]


    Nobody said that every single attraction at DLR should be meant for the entire family.
    However, when you have a land with too many kiddie rides and not enough family rides, then there is a lack of balance. It is this balance that makes other lands more effective in terms of attracting a broader audience.

    [QUOTE=Attic Haunt;1056999062]
    2) Tomorrowland should be torn down and some other area/land inserted because it is poorly cared for and extremely dated. Sacrillige? YES! If the idea is sound and the theming is good, why tear it out instead of renovating/plussing/rethinking the areas?

    [QUOTE]

    Have you been following the constant Tomorrowland renovation rumors and ideas that pop up at least once a week? A lot of people on this site are not okay with the fact that Tomorrowland is neglected and dated, and they want it to be renovated asap.
    Last edited by frollofan; 07-11-2013 at 10:21 AM.

  6. #21

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    200

    Re: Why so little love for Toontown and A Bug's Land?

    Because we can go on the internet and complain about.

  7. #22

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    los angeles, ca.
    Posts
    254

    Re: Why so little love for Toontown and A Bug's Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Kids also like to ride rides, and the Challenge Trail does not offer that.
    How is that more relaxing than Bugs Land?
    i'm not saying that they should replace it with rides that kids can't ride. but i also think you're selling kids a little short. in my experience, even the younger crowd can appreciate a ride like pirates or haunted mansion much more than something like flik's flyers.

    i base my argument that redwood creek is more relaxing purely on the number of nappers i have seen there vs. a bug's land. i think parents are more lenient on letting their kids run around on their own because its a closed-in space, rather than an open land (not saying that's right, just what i've witnessed). also the theming is more immersive (or rather, more immaculately detailed), which makes it a nicer place to take it easy, in my opinion.

  8. #23

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    49

    Re: Why so little love for Toontown and A Bug's Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post

    If I were in charge, I would definitely keep ITTBAB (best 3D show in a Disney, wonderful AA's, and a completely immersive lobby and theater), Flik's Flyers (great themed spinner), and Hemlich's. I would expand Hemlich's in the land to take the place of Tuck N Roll and Francis' and make it an attraction more in tune with an attraction like Casey Jr.'s, perhaps with a small indoor, dark ride-esque scene. I think it would be awesome to see the ride vehicles changed from the character to a train made from objects taken by bugs (like Flik's Flyers). I would love to somehow move the entrance of ITTBAB to be more within the land (closer to Cereal Box somehow). Maybe even move Fliks to old Fracis pad and put entrance over there.

    I would also add an eatery near where the current ITTBAB is. This is going to back to DCA 1.0. It would be great to have the Shake Shack (date shakes mmmm) back as well as a little snack shop serving small, picnic-inspired (to fit land theme) food items (ants on a log, anyone?)
    Wow! Love this idea!

    Alright, I must admit, the first time I visited DCA, I skipped ABL entirely. My friends and I viewed it "just for kids" and skipped it. Plus, back then, there was no outlet over to Tower of Terror or CarsLand. It was just sort of a dead end area. But now? Now it makes a cute walk through, Heimlich's is cute, and I LOVED ITTBAG! I agree, though, that it needs some tweaking in order to generate mass-appeal. But I definitely enjoyed the land (and the shade, as that is rare in DCA).

    As for ToonTown, I loved it growing up (I think it was added when I was a pre-teen), but now it's a land that I don't mind skipping. In fact, on my last trip over a week ago, we skipped it entirely. I'm not sure what needs to be done with it (reno or replacement) but it has lost my interest over the years due to the Cartoon Spin being the only ride of interest and not much else. If they added another ride that had mass appeal to adults and kids alike, I think it might help the area out a bit more...
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

  9. #24

    •   
    • Lurking in the corners
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nothern Ohio
    Posts
    678
    Blog Entries
    22

    Re: Why so little love for Toontown and A Bug's Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Thumbs up!!! Every single ride that has a height requirement should have an option to have a tame version.

    A tame Indy Ride. No bouncing. No scary sounds and no bugs.

    A slow Space Mountain ride. Lots of braking. Light up.

    A No SplashZone Mountain. Offer a separate route to avoid the final plunge.
    Um... you took my quote a bit out of context unless your comment above is meant to be sarcasm.

    Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Nobody said that every single attraction at DLlR should be meant for the entire family.
    When you have a land with too many kiddie rides and not enough family rides, then there is a lack of balance. It is this balance that makes other lands more effective in terms of attracting a broader audience.
    Actually, quite a few of the posters on this thread had said the main reason these areas need to go is because they have nothing to offer them (teens/adults). These posters don't want the balance you propose, they want expanded teen/adult attractions. (and yes, I have noted the few posters who are looking for a balance)

    Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Um, have you following the constant Tomorrowland renovation rumors and ideas that pop up at least once a week? A lot of people on this site are not okay with the fact that Tomorrowland is neglected and dated, and they want it to be renovated asap.
    You and StevenW seem to have missed my point with the above "conculsions" based on what the other posters have said. My message is you can't have it both ways. If you want TT and ABL removed because they are not whole family rides, then all rides that are not for the whole family should be removed. Also if you feel they should be removed because they are run down, neglected or dated, then Tomorrowland should be torn down and not redesigned for the same reason.

    Do I feel that way about height-requirement rides and Tomorrowland? Of course not! I am just illustrating the point that many posters who want TT and ABL torn down seem to want them gone for reasons that, if applied to other areas of the park, would be thought to be ridiculous reasons.
    Last edited by Attic Haunt; 07-11-2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: quotation fix

    “That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

  10. #25

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: Why so little love for Toontown and A Bug's Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post

    You and StevenW seem to have missed my point with the above "conculsions" based on what the other posters have said. My message is you can't have it both ways. If you want TT and ABL removed because they are not whole family rides, then all rides that are not for the whole family should be removed. Also if you feel they should be removed because they are run down, neglected or dated, then Tomorrowland should be torn down and not redesigned for the same reason.

    Do I feel that way about height-requirement rides and Tomorrowland? Of course not! I am just illustrating the point that many posters who want TT and ABL torn down seem to want them gone for reasons that, if applied to other areas of the park, would be thought to be ridiculous reasons.
    Ok, I now see where you are going. But the thing with Bugs Land is that it is sort of trapped in between Cars land and Hollywoodland, so that makes it difficult to expand it with rides that appeal to a broader age group, so that's why I felt that it needed to be removed so Cars Land and Hollywoodland could get some more quality rides that appeal to the entire family while little kids still have much to enjoy in Hollywoodland and Cars Land such as Mater's, Luigi's, Disney Junior, Monsters, etc.

  11. #26

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    49

    Re: Why so little love for Toontown and A Bug's Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Ok, I now see where you are going. But the thing with Bugs Land is that it is sort of trapped in between Cars land and Hollywoodland, so that makes it difficult to expand it with rides that appeal to a broader age group, so that's why I felt that it needed to be removed so Cars Land and Hollywoodland could get some more quality rides that appeal to the entire family while little kids still have much to enjoy in Hollywoodland and Cars Land such as Mater's, Luigi's, Disney Junior, Monsters, etc.
    I can see that. But could they at least keep ITTBAB somehow? Honestly, I don't know how I ever skipped it and thoroughly enjoyed it (yes, even while screaming or jumping out of my seat!)
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

  12. #27

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: Why so little love for Toontown and A Bug's Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by BwaySaint View Post
    I can see that. But could they at least keep ITTBAB somehow? Honestly, I don't know how I ever skipped it and thoroughly enjoyed it (yes, even while screaming or jumping out of my seat!)
    I am probably the wrong person to ask, since that show traumatized me as a kid.

  13. #28

    •   
    • Lurking in the corners
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nothern Ohio
    Posts
    678
    Blog Entries
    22

    Re: Why so little love for Toontown and A Bug's Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Ok, I now see where you are going. But the thing with Bugs Land is that it is sort of trapped in between Cars land and Hollywoodland, so that makes it difficult to expand it with rides that appeal to a broader age group, so that's why I felt that it needed to be removed so Cars Land and Hollywoodland could get some more quality rides that appeal to the entire family while little kids still have much to enjoy in Hollywoodland and Cars Land such as Mater's, Luigi's, Disney Junior, Monsters, etc.
    Okay. I see this as a legitimate, well thought out reason to remove ABL to concentrate on more family friendly rides. I still think that there needs to be some rides just for tiny bodies.

    “That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

  14. #29

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    49

    Re: Why so little love for Toontown and A Bug's Land?

    Ha! Well, I finally saw it a week ago and I'm now an adult. Though, if I saw it as a kid, perhaps it would have scared me. I know Mr. Toad's Wild Ride still freaks me out just as much as it did when I was a kid!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

  15. #30

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,566

    Re: Why so little love for Toontown and A Bug's Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by thedustycoyote View Post
    i'm not saying that they should replace it with rides that kids can't ride. but i also think you're selling kids a little short. in my experience, even the younger crowd can appreciate a ride like pirates or haunted mansion much more than something like flik's flyers.
    Flik’s Flyers is actually a fun little ride, however that wasn’t the point. You were suggesting that the kids don’t need this area because they have the Challenge Trail. I was pointing out that the Challenge Trail doesn’t contain any rides. I think both types of areas are equally important.

    Quote Originally Posted by thedustycoyote View Post
    i base my argument that redwood creek is more relaxing purely on the number of nappers i have seen there vs. a bug's land. i think parents are more lenient on letting their kids run around on their own because its a closed-in space, rather than an open land (not saying that's right, just what i've witnessed).
    I have personally napped in both places.

    Quote Originally Posted by thedustycoyote View Post
    also the theming is more immersive (or rather, more immaculately detailed), which makes it a nicer place to take it easy, in my opinion.
    I think the themeing is equally detailed and immersive.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Trip Report] OFT Eric vists IOA, USF and HHN with his little sister for her sweet 16
    By KingEric in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-09-2008, 07:59 AM
  2. An example of why VMK doesn't like taken and bans people for giving out personal info
    By steamboatpete in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-05-2007, 01:39 AM
  3. 100 Reasons We Love Hong Kong - and you could win air tickets to Hong Kong for HKDL
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 11:23 AM
  4. Why do YOU love Disneyland (and CA Adv)???
    By UnleashTheMagic in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-31-2006, 04:34 PM
  5. For Those of You Who Love Las Vegas and Boobies . . .
    By disneytim in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-27-2006, 09:31 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •