Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

Re: Why so little love for Toontown and A Bug's Land?

I'm not a fan of Toontown because Fantasyland already exists, and I don't mind being in land or going on the rides if I had a kid who wanted to. It is a good land that does cater to kids, but adults will at least tolerate well if not enjoy a little bit themselves. Toontown is only for kids and it seems like the majority of adults don't really enjoy being there at all. There is not nearly enough shade for one thing (it needs a lot more trees like Fantasyland has), and it's loud and kind of irritating. Roger Rabbit is fine, but the rest of the land seems to me to really only be geared towards kids and has nothing interesting for adults at all. Fortunately it is an easy land to ignore if you don't want to go there and don't have kids with you forcing you to go there.

I have never even walked through A Bugs Land let alone been on any of the rides so I can't really comment on that.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

My take on it is there are two reasons that some don't like it. First they sometimes appear to be done on the cheap. They are great concepts but they just didn't finish it off (I.e. Heimlich and all te closed stripped out stuff in ToonTown). second is because I you are posting on here you probably aren't in the 2-6 demographic.

Now, I enjoy both places a lot. Probably because I spend alot of time there with my little guys.

The only knock I have on Bugs land is it is too much like the rides down the road in Buena Park and that Heimlich was done so cheaply and is so short.

To me Toon Town almost got it right. There are a few rides that are nice. The idea is good. However, since te first time ingot to go was years after they removed many of the elements it seems like it is a shell of itself or what it can be. Really, Goofy's, Donald's and the treehouse are just taking up space. They could have been a lot better.

Unfortunately so many of us are used to all the other lands offer that when it doesn't follow through with some E tickets, a dark ride or two and some other rides it just isn't an equal.

To me, they just need a little attention an it can be great. But ABL isn't meant for those of us over 4' tall. Rather we get to go along there.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I'm not a fan of Toontown because Fantasyland already exists, and I don't mind being in land or going on the rides if I had a kid who wanted to. It is a good land that does cater to kids, but adults will at least tolerate well if not enjoy a little bit themselves. Toontown is only for kids and it seems like the majority of adults don't really enjoy being there at all. There is not nearly enough shade for one thing (it needs a lot more trees like Fantasyland has), and it's loud and kind of irritating. Roger Rabbit is fine, but the rest of the land seems to me to really only be geared towards kids and has nothing interesting for adults at all. Fortunately it is an easy land to ignore if you don't want to go there and don't have kids with you forcing you to go there.

I have never even walked through A Bugs Land let alone been on any of the rides so I can't really comment on that.
    Just because Toontown has LESS rides for Adults than Fantasyland doesn't mean that Fantasyland doesn't have its share of rides catered for kids only.

How many adults really enjoy the Circus Train, the Storybook boat ride, Pinnochio, Snow White, the Carousel, and Dumbo. I don't seem that many adults by themselves going on these rides. They usually take their kids with them. I went to Toontown a lot to enjoy the Spin ride and the rollercoaster. These are the main two rides. The remaining attractions are play areas. Adults certainly can go into Mickey and Minnie's houses to take pictures.

I think the criticism is unwarranted. Bug's Land's rides are available for adults and kids to ride. No maximum height limit. I remembered riding them before DCA 2.0 when there wasn't much to do. Nothing wrong with adults enjoying them, but adults avoid the area for some reason!!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    You and StevenW seem to have missed my point with the above "conculsions" based on what the other posters have said. My message is you can't have it both ways. If you want TT and ABL removed because they are not whole family rides, then all rides that are not for the whole family should be removed. Also if you feel they should be removed because they are run down, neglected or dated, then Tomorrowland should be torn down and not redesigned for the same reason.
    I didn't miss your point. I got it.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I was pointing out that the height limits should be eliminated and the easiest way is to have a tamer version for the entire family. For some new rides like the SeaWorld Penguin ride, you can pick a tame version. I think this should be tried out if Walt's dream is to be realized. Really!!!

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    I didn't miss your point. I got it.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I was pointing out that the height limits should be eliminated and the easiest way is to have a tamer version for the entire family. For some new rides like the SeaWorld Penguin ride, you can pick a tame version. I think this should be tried out if Walt's dream is to be realized. Really!!!
    I stand corrected. A dual-tracked ride system could be interesting!

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

I cannot say much for Bugsland... my kids and other family members, friends; never really liked it back when it opened,; nor do any of us visit it now. However, I did walk through (2.0) for the first time this past April and there were tons of kids and families that looked like they were having a great time =)

I think Toon Town is a very special place for all generations. After all, many of us may be strong now and can handle any ride; but eventually all of us will be along with the kidlins enjoying the slower rides. I agree that they need to keep this little land fresh and create more "shade space" which would be very affordable. Painting and the planting of trees could be accomplished economically and in a decent time frame; I am sure.

Our families enjoy Toon Town because of all the photo opps and the goofy "Cartoon" buildings and the silly but fun "Roger Rabbit" ride. I still think it was a great original idea (or at least I think it was??) adding a "land" directly connected to Disneyland itself that complimented the park as a whole, I believe it still does to this day.

I also think Toon Town adds a interesting charm when little ones have an opportunity to see where Mickey and Minnie and other favorite original "toon" members "actually" live. Getting a private photo opp with either or both Mickey and Minnie adds to the experience and I would hate to see that ever end.

I did a small survey of people in my family (ages range from 3 1/2 to 85) and they all agreed that although they only do a quick visit there when they go on their own to DLR; the younger crowd looks forward to bringing their young children there in the future. The older ones find it to be a nice "quieter" place to just hang out and rest.

As I recall it was built in a very tight area of the park that was possibly never intended to be a "land" at all. When I first saw Toon Town and Mickey and Minnie's house; well, I fell in love with the whole "cartoon" artistic architecture concept. I still do; hope it is here to stay.

• Minion

Honestly, I think the main reason these areas draw so much criticism is simply because people posting such negative things on these boards are not in the target demographic for these areas. And those who do defend them talk about their kids enjoying them. Unless we get a good population of 4 year olds on this site, we will never gauge an accurate evaluation of these lands because they aren't meant for us.

• ...and the Flowers Croon

How many adults really enjoy the Circus Train, the Storybook boat ride, Pinnochio, Snow White, the Carousel, and Dumbo. I don't seem that many adults by themselves going on...
    I do. And enjoy them very much.

Bug's Land's rides are available for adults and kids to ride. No maximum height limit.
    I think this is an important point. The attractions can be enjoyed as a family (which very young kids prefer anyway), and anyone who has kids knows that being with them while they experience something really fun can be just awesome.

My niece was 2 years old on her first trip. Fantasyland dark rides scared her. Pirates was overwhelming. There were attractions in both parks she did enjoy, but her hands-down favorite was Heimlich's Chew Chew Train.

Was it something I would ever go on without a small child? No. But the tremendous pleasure she got from it was insanely enjoyable to me. We rode 5 times (!). She would have happily stayed on it all day long.

My point is that I don't think every land needs an E ticket attraction, nor does every ride need to be "plussed" to its absolute max. The folks I'm hearing say that ABL and TT sit on "valuable real estate," etc. probably don't have kids, or haven't experienced the bliss of watching their kids enjoy something intended just for them.

CAN kids enjoy attractions designed for all ages? Of course. But having more kid-centric stuff available as well is terrific. Don't like ABL? Go ride ToT. And don't begrudge the little ones their own thrills.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirdsSingWords;1056999350The folks I'm hearing say that ABL and TT sit on "valuable real estate," etc. probably don't have kids, or haven't experienced the bliss of watching their kids enjoy something intended[I
    just for them.[/I].
    Yep, I think that sums it all up right there

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Here's my Spin on Toontown and A Bug's Land:

TOONTOWN:

POSITIVES

Great themed Land, where toons live and a land where there are no straight angles.

Nice Interactive elements, especially in the City Hall Section of Toontown. Where you can set off smoke or a variety of other sound effect by using a detonator, attempting to open a door, using a water fountain, checking out the p o boxes, or even the manhole cover.

Nice permanent meet and greet area for Mickey.

And the Best part of Toontown is BOTH the Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin Queue and the Attraction itself. Those quick to criticize Toontown, usually overlook this fantastic attraction.

NEGATIVES

Gadgets Go Coaster: just too small, and too short, although cutely themed. Some 2 year old might like this, BUT it has so many of the problems and issues that I have with the majority of A Bug's Life attractions.

Goofy's Bounce(less) House: although they added to the cutesy outdoor area, This needs MUCH improvement. IDEA, is to Use More of the same type of effects that were used in Knott's Haunted Shack, to add to the Goofiness of his house.

Chip and Dales Treehouse : Started with a ball (acorn) play area, which closed shortly after opening, never to use the acorn crawl area again. Just poorly thought out to even attempt to consider using a play area like this in a Disney Park.

Donald's Boat: Lacks any reason to come aboard. Also needs something much more to attract adults and kids.

Jolly Trolley: One of the very few original rideable attractions in Toontown. Has great movement, bobbing along as moves along its track. Now it sits useless as a Disney Vacation Club Sales Booth. SO SAD!

Food Choices: Although they have cutesy themes counter service "restaurants", there is no indoor food eating facility and the quality of food offered here is among DL's VERY WORST. Seems this is the lost land for restaurant upgrades. DLR has given a makeover to Many DL restaurants in recent years, but this area has been ignored.

SUMMARY OF TOONTOWN:

Roger is still a Fantastic Attraction, but pretty much everything else in Toontown was closed, or made ineffective for interaction. New Life is definitely and DESPERATELY needed, for this area.

A couple ideas, that I thought would be fun, is to expand the dining area into a new indoor "House of Mickey" type restaurant, with a variety of often unseen characters. Of course this would be loosely based on The cartoon show "House of Mouse" - it would also provide another great Character Meet and Greet type restaurant, with some additional limited entertainment, on a stage, perhaps showing some newer Mickey Mouse/Oswald shorts!

A second idea for Toontown would be to expand Toontown with Mickey's Philharmagic. This would give guests another MUCH NEEDED Attraction. There is definitely room for expansion behind Toontown, however, I'm not so sure about the advisability of another 3D movie type of attraction, or the longevity of such an attraction.

as for Bug's land, I'll get to that in a future post.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Lots of good points for keeping these areas and great ideas on how to refurb them. I seriously would like to see if anyone has more points for removing these areas and replacing them with other attractions/areas, such as frollofan's idea to expand Cars Land and Hollywood Land with more whole family attractions themed to those lands.

Aladdin! This is what I was truly looking for! A nicely detailed list of negatives in ToonTown. I am looking forward to your list for A Bug's Land.

The more I read the comments here, the more I think these areas do need to have a bit more whole family and/or adult appeal added while preserving much of their toddler/preschool charm. The suggestions for maneuvering things to include a restaurant and more shade are the best additions ideas in my book.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• I'm from Canada eh!

Sorry, those arguments are very lame.

Despite what Walt wanted, 2 to 5 year olds need their own attractions. They are very small kids. They need gentle rides. They need small seats. Why should Legoland corner the market for this demographic?
    I think you missed the point entierly. There are attractions that are gentle, that have small seats, but still are fun for Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grampa, Teenager Sally and Little baby Bobby. A great example from back in the day is Peter Pan's flight and a great example from the recent expansion is The Tractor Spin. And yes there are rides like Dumbo and the Tea cups over at Disneyland that mirror attractions from Bugs land, but how many spinners do you need?

Toontown and Bugs Land are both popular. To say Bugsland is less popular due to a less popular movie is "HUH?". Doesn't matter to 2 to 5 year olds. The bright colors, whimsical characters, and small scales works to attract the kids like a bug to a lightbulb.
    Theme IS the best part of bugs land, no question. It just seamed like an odd choice for the time as the could have easily made a Toy Story land with much the same effect.

Bugland is quick fix: A darn good one if you ask me.
    No question

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Despite what Walt wanted, 2 to 5 year olds need their own attractions. They are very small kids. They need gentle rides. They need small seats. Why should Legoland corner the market for this demographic?

Toontown and Bugs Land are both popular. To say Bugsland is less popular due to a less popular movie is "HUH?". Doesn't matter to 2 to 5 year olds. The bright colors, whimsical characters, and small scales works to attract the kids like a bug to a lightbulb.

Toontown is plastic: Looks like you haven't been to Gymboree lately.

Never updated. Or maybe just perfect unlike Tomorrowland that is forever subject to budget cuts, lack of the next greatest attraction, and plastic. Maybe the money from not updating Toontown and Bugsland can be better used to fix Tomorrowland pernamently, but don't hold your breath.
    To say one land NEEDS to be all kids ride is still against Walt, heck if they had a Bugsland D ticket Dark ride like Mermaid and maybe a smaller coaster that flys you around those would help make the land better.....
    But honestly we don't need more Spinner rides...we had a few in Disneyland and on the Pier

Toontown is just a mess....it has a Mickey walk though over an ride? what Id love to see a Mickey E ticket ride done with that space over a walkthough

Those who are against those two lands, probably don't have kids of their own or have never taken a small child to those lands.

Toontown is plastic: Looks like you haven't been to Gymboree lately.

Never updated. Or maybe just perfect unlike Tomorrowland that is forever subject to budget cuts, lack of the next greatest attraction, and plastic. Maybe the money from not updating Toontown and Bugsland can be better used to fix Tomorrowland pernamently, but don't hold your breath.

Hit the nail on the head.

I first went to Toontown back in 1993, and I wish there was more stuff to do for families.

As it stands, I was 13 when it opened, and alot of what would have been fun for me 5-6 years before, was now off-limits. Couldn't go in the Bounce House, for example.

I do dislike the fact that the Jolly Trolley was taken out of commission. It added some amusing movement to the rather static 'Toon' structures. As there's no way you could regulate and have movable buildings made (like the ones we see in Roger Rabbit when Eddie crashes his car there), the Trolley was a nice setup to bring life to the area. Other than the Trolley, the only other big movement around is provided by Benny the Cab, hanging out the top of the Car Toon Spin.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast