Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Why so little love for Toontown and A Bug's Land?

Toontown is an awesome idea. It's just been neglected. When it first opened, it built on the popularity of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and was billed as "you chance to enter an animated world." The first time I entered Toontown (when it opened in 1993), it really did feel like just that.

But now, the paint is peeling and faded.

I love the way the road dips down under the train tracks, obscuring your view into Toontown, but that "population" sign needs some help.

The area is always too hot. Why isn't there more shade back there? Chip 'n Dale's Treehouse? Not really a thing anymore. As MWH1980 mentions above, there's no sense of life and movement.

I think a retooling is in order. I say model it after the new Mickey and Friends design (from the Paul Rudish animated shorts) and give it a new/vintage feel. Add vibrant colors and textures, and either make Donald's Boat and Goofy's Bouncehouse more interactive and playgroundy or replace them altogether.

I always thought Donald's area should be about him being jealous of all the attention Mickey gets in the park. "No mice allowed" signs and Donald-centric merchandise there would be cool.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    And yes there are rides like Dumbo and the Tea cups over at Disneyland that mirror attractions from Bugs land, but how many spinners do you need?
    How many coasters or flume rides, or train rides do you need? It’s not about the type of ride system, but whether or not it is the best way to make use of the available space as well as how well the final product was executed. Flik’s Flyers is an excellent example. Yes, it is a simple spinning ride, but the theming on it is excellent and it is a very effective way of using the small footprint that was available to it. If they ripped out CA Screamin’, I wouldn’t want such a large footprint taken up with another Flik’s Flyers, but for the small area in which it is situated, it works.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    Those who are against those two lands, probably don't have kids of their own or have never taken a small child to those lands.
    I actually do have children. We first went to the park when they were 6 and 4. We rode all the Bugs land rides, all the dark rides and even some of the d/e tickets like Pirates and the Haunted Mansion. 6 years later and we still love the Dark rides and various d/e but will not even stop in Bugs land.

People are missing the point that an attraction CAN be fun for everyone. Not just for Adults; not just for babies.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    How many coasters or flume rides, or train rides do you need? It’s not about the type of ride system, but whether or not it is the best way to make use of the available space as well as how well the final product was executed. Flik’s Flyers is an excellent example. Yes, it is a simple spinning ride, but the theming on it is excellent and it is a very effective way of using the small footprint that was available to it. If they ripped out CA Screamin’, I wouldn’t want such a large footprint taken up with another Flik’s Flyers, but for the small area in which it is situated, it works.

True enough. I’m just of the opinion that theme in the case of Bugsland is akin to lipstick on a pig. It is really nice lipstick, but a pig none the less.

I have to wonder though; could the Maliboomer have been saved with a better theme?

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    I didn't miss your point. I got it.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I was pointing out that the height limits should be eliminated and the easiest way is to have a tamer version for the entire family. For some new rides like the SeaWorld Penguin ride, you can pick a tame version. I think this should be tried out if Walt's dream is to be realized. Really!!!
    Epcot already does this with Mission Space.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Singing Drinker

I have to wonder though; could the Maliboomer have been saved with a better theme?
    Tower of Terror.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Former Churro Jockey

I actually liked Maliboomer. Supreme Scream is still hands down the best (and scariest) thrill ride that I've ever been on, but I actually enjoyed being shot UP instead of falling down (although Maliboomer did that too briefly). I guess though we do have that with Tower of Terror.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Thumbs up!!! Every single ride that has a height requirement should have an option to have a tame version.

A tame Indy Ride. No bouncing. No scary sounds and no bugs.

A slow Space Mountain ride. Lots of braking. Light up.

A No SplashZone Mountain. Offer a separate route to avoid the final plunge.
    Is it just me, or am I sensing a little sarcasm here?

• Kingdom Comedian

Fun for kids aged 2-5. Sort of goes agaisnt everything walt wanted, right?
    I would have to say no. THe thing Walt was against is a place where you stick the kid on a ride but you can't go on it. The parent sits on a bench "eating peanuts."

As a parent of a 2 year old, I can tell you I had fun WITH my kid in Toontown and Bugs Land. And before I had a kid, I still played in those areas.

I think people need to draw a distinction between "I don't like it" and "Nobody my age/gender/race/etc likes it."

...Babb's 2 cents (worth slightly less)

•   
    • Minion

For what it's worth I think both areas are fine.

Walt made rides and attractions that appealed to younger kids, too. I doubt that he thought that 25 - 40 year old men and women would be the first people lining up to ride Dumbo or Casey Jr., for instance.

Toontown needs some love, some shade and an intensive rehab - maybe with another ride added- but IMHO it's a well designed and fun little land. No, I don't have kids, so the Go Coaster isn't going to be my first stop, but the Roger Rabbit ride is amazing. I went to Toontown once with friends and we absolutely had a blast with the props in the buildings, as well.

As for Bugs Land, again, it's not the place where I'm going to spend my time. I took my Mom on Flik's Flyers and she loved it, though. I don't think the Ladybug Boogie and the bumper cars are the most inventive rides ever, but Flik and the Chew Chew Train are brilliant, IMHO.

I think every park needs a diversity of rides. Not everyone is going to be into every attraction. Not everyone is going to be willing or able to ride every single thing. Maybe that's not just about kids, maybe that is about older folks, too, who might not want to get on a coaster but would love to take a cute little ride like the Chew Chew Train with their grandkids. That was true in Walt's era, too - the Matterhorn certainly had a height requirement back in the day (albeit a lower one) and that excluded some park guests, didn't it?

Just because a person doesn't enjoy a certain ride or land doesn't mean that others don't enjoy it or find value in it. Every time I walk through Bugs Land and Toontown I see kids having fun. Kids laughing. Kids totally enjoying their day at Disneyland. Parents and grandparents enjoying rides with their children. Isn't that in line with Walt's wishes?
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

A Bugs Land, in isolation is an absolutely wonderfully themed environment. Admittedly, DCA is small and I think eventually will need the area removed. I propose that EVERYTHING from A Bugs Land be moved to Animal Kingdom where it can serve as its own land. Yes, that would mean Its Tough to be a Bug would move into a new theater with this land. Not only would this save the beautiful land, but it will also free space in DCA and give a bit more to do in DAK even if its just this.

I personally also love Toon Town. It's cute, and it's unrealisticness are what defines the land. I think it can use a little more bang for its buck though. I remember hearing somewhere that one of the reasons that Toon Town came about was because people needed a reliable place to meet Mickey. Well in truth, 30 minutes should never pass where Mickey isn't available somewhere. So I think the houses could go or be visible but not explorable (via a forced perspective trick at the far edge of the land). This can make room for more family friendly dark rides like maybe one based on Ludwig Von Drake and the nephews. Don't get me wrong there should still be meet and greets, in fact more with more of the classic characters and Max. I think TT is definitely worth keeping, just retooled to make maximum use of the land.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234