Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Why so little love for Toontown and A Bug's Land?

What’s with the lack of love for Toontown and A Bug’s Land? Seriously… I’m not trolling or trying to start any kind of argument. I really want to know from those who post that they should be torn out why they feel that way. It seems like every few weeks there is a post suggesting we tear one or the other out to make room for some other type of area (usually a thrill ride area).

To me they seem like fun areas where really small kids (2-5) can let loose and have fun, especially ABL.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• I'm from Canada eh!

Re: Why so little love for Toontown and A Bug's Land?

Your last sentence says it all: Fun for kids aged 2-5. Sort of goes agaisnt everything walt wanted, right?

Both are themed well (bugs land in particular) but Toontown is dreadfully hot and crowded during the day and Bugs land has carnival rides themed to a less than popular Pixar movie.

I also dislike "water parks" with-in theme parks.

Stylistically people have a problem with Toontown in that it emulates a world that can't possibly translate to three dimensions - it's based on a contorting, malleable, goofy world but presented in a static and "plastic" format. In that same vein, every other area Disneyland Park is grounded in reality (even Tomorrowland) and feels like a real, possible, habitable environment whereas Toontown breaks from that mold and presents an impossible world in an unattainable style. In addition to that, it's got some outdated references (Gadget's Go Coaster?) and is one of the park's infamously miserable dead ends (see also, Critter Country) where massive crowds have no where to go and simply meander around each other with little shade. And yes, it is primarily kid-focused (except for Car Toon Spin which, to me, would terrify most kids).

A Bug's Land attracts disdain because it was the first quick-fix the park received after initially being poo-pooed for not having enough for kids, so even though it's well-done, it was still produced under the cost-cutting regimin of the day (all are - albeit well-themed - carnival rides except Hemlich's, which feels like the beginning of a dark ride that never comes). It feels incomplete without a dark ride or even restaurant, again just being one strictly-for-kids ride after another (which, granted, is precisely what California Adventure needed at that time). It also sits on valuable expansion space that could be used to expand either Hollywoodland, Cars Land, both, or a new land altogether. The cherry on top is that it's absolutely unrelated to California in any way, and represents the first element of the park that went down that road (which, of course, much more of the park has followed in, which some find absolutely unforgivable).
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Besides the lands being built for kids not families.....they are never updated....and the fact that never have a Big E ticket ride....are just a few of my reason for not minding if they are removed for a new land..or subland

• Banned User

Sorry, those arguments are very lame.

Despite what Walt wanted, 2 to 5 year olds need their own attractions. They are very small kids. They need gentle rides. They need small seats. Why should Legoland corner the market for this demographic?

Toontown and Bugs Land are both popular. To say Bugsland is less popular due to a less popular movie is "HUH?". Doesn't matter to 2 to 5 year olds. The bright colors, whimsical characters, and small scales works to attract the kids like a bug to a lightbulb.

Toontown is plastic: Looks like you haven't been to Gymboree lately.

Bugland is quick fix: A darn good one if you ask me.

Never updated. Or maybe just perfect unlike Tomorrowland that is forever subject to budget cuts, lack of the next greatest attraction, and plastic. Maybe the money from not updating Toontown and Bugsland can be better used to fix Tomorrowland pernamently, but don't hold your breath.

• Long live the Fire Lord

not their own attractions, family attractions. That's my biggest problem with LEGOland, i can't ride with my kids, or my whole family on most of the rides
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

• Banned User

How many times do you really want to go on the spinners? Just because there's a small scale spinner doesn't mean you can't go on a full sized Dumbo and Carousel. Disneyland offers both. Legoland does have many attractions that adults can go on and a few for kids only.

I agree they're a little limited, not much there for adults, but they're cute and I kind of like them. They make for fun photos and occasionally drawing practice if I have a lot of time.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Personally I'm fine with bugs land. I love the theming. I have no kids but we always see the movie & enjoy a couple of the rides. My latest being the one with Chinese food box!

Toon town I don't like because even for kids it doesn't have enough rides! I'm not a character person so we ocassionally go there for car toon spin & that's it.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by bkroz View Post
    Stylistically people have a problem with Toontown in that it emulates a world that can't possibly translate to three dimensions - it's based on a contorting, malleable, goofy world but presented in a static and "plastic" format. In that same vein, every other area Disneyland Park is grounded in reality (even Tomorrowland) and feels like a real, possible, habitable environment whereas Toontown breaks from that mold and presents an impossible world in an unattainable style.
    Some would say that is the charm of the land.

In addition to that, it's got some outdated references (Gadget's Go Coaster?)
    There are even older references in Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, Critter Country, and Adventureland.

and is one of the park's infamously miserable dead ends (see also, Critter Country) where massive crowds have no where to go and simply meander around each other with little shade.
    A dead end does not make or break a land. There are also plenty of areas for shade. There have been many afternoons where we have let the kids blow off steam at the playground there while my wife and I sat in the shade and watched them.

(except for Car Toon Spin which, to me, would terrify most kids).
    ???

The cherry on top is that it's absolutely unrelated to California in any way, and represents the first element of the park that went down that road (which, of course, much more of the park has followed in, which some find absolutely unforgivable).
    Are any of the bug species represented there not indigenous to California?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• The doctor is in

I think most of it is the fact that we aren't all 2-years old.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

bkroz got most of it right up there. though i think roger rabbit is the kind of twisted humor that is attractive to a lot of kids, and is one of the few things in toontown that i don't have a problem with.

i think the biggest issue is just how much they've let the place go. peeling paint and broken effects really mess with the disney illusion. its not the kind of place that ages well, like adventureland or critter country. i've said this before, but i think they should do a complete overhaul on toontown (except roger rabbit, unless they find a place for him in hollywoodland). rebuild it in the realistic style of the early mickey shorts. give it more of a small town feel instead of a downtown feel, give it more shade and a fab five dark ride or two. i'd like a steamboat willie ride, but i'll take what i can get.

as for a bug's land, i'm with most people here, its sitting on valuable land that should be used for something for the whole family. i know young kids need somewhere to run around, but in that respect, redwood creek challenge trail is much more effective. kids don't like waiting around in lines anyways, and its a much more relaxing place for parents to hang out.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by thedustycoyote View Post
    redwood creek challenge trail is much more effective. kids don't like waiting around in lines anyways,
    Kids also like to ride rides, and the Challenge Trail does not offer that.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedustycoyote View Post
    and its a much more relaxing place for parents to hang out.
    How is that more relaxing than Bugs Land?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

I'm am fine with Toontown. All what it needs is more solid attractions like an Epic Mickey E-ticket dark ride. Bug Land, on the other hand, needs to be demolished imho. It was built in the first place to attract little kids, but now little kids have so many more choices in the park now that the Little Mermaid, Mater's Junkyard, Disney Junior, Monsters Inc., and Luigi's Flying Tires have opened since. Mater's is a better variation of Francis Lady Bug Spin, and Luigi's is a more fancy version of Tuck and Roll's Bumper Cars. I say demolish Bugs Land to use for expansion of either Hollwoodland or Cars Land.
    Last edited by frollofan; 07-11-2013 at 09:24 AM.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I say demolish Bugs Land to use for expansion of either Hollwoodland or Cars Land.
    I would be fine with this under two conditions:

1. They need to put in four more rides that have no height requirement

2. Those rides and the new area need to be as well-themed as what is being replaced

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast