Planning Advice for parents, sister

My parents are planning a trip to visit me in LA this fall sometime (hopefully in October). The last time we went to Disney as a family, I was 10 and my sister was just a year old, and we only made it to AK. We used to go to WDW every year when I was younger, and my parents went to Disneyland many moons before I was born, so they are somewhat familiar with the parks. My mom is in her 50s, my dad in his 60s, and my sister is going to be 17.

My boyfriend and I want to take them to Disneyland for a day since we're unsure of when the next time (if ever) we'll all get to a Disney park together. I want to go in with a little bit of a plan to make it a really memorable trip but am a little unsure of how to go about it. I've taken my sister to Disneyland before so I'm aware of what she is into and what she isn't, but my parents are not e-ticket ride fans, and my dad needs breaks often because of a bad knee (he won't need a wheelchair, he'll just need to sit and hang every once in a while.)

I was wondering if the good ol' community of MiceChat might be able to offer up some ideas or suggestions of ways to make this day memorable and enjoyable. They will most likely be here on a Thursday-Sunday, so we would try to go Friday or Saturday; since I'm unsure of their exact dates yet, I don't know if they'll be here during Mickey's Halloween Party, which we would definitely do if their trip falls on those dates.

I'd like to get them to ride in the wheelhouse of the Mark Twain, do dinner at the Blue Bayou, and of course get a family photo with the Mouse himself. Since my boyfriend and I spend most of our time at the parks bouncing between Space Mountain and Indiana Jones (neither of which my parents will do) I would love any and all feedback to make this trip great!

As an added note, it is very possible they'll be here over my dad's birthday as well. Thank you in advance!

•   

Re: Planning Advice for parents, sister

Friday will be marginally less crowded than Saturday but will still have Fantasmic and Fireworks.

You probably won't be able to do both parks as it is summer, so you may want to pick one park. Your parents may want to do DCA since they have already seen Disneyland, or they may want to do DL since it holds memories for them.

If you have a smart phone, Mouse Wait is a good apt to use to find wait times and FP return times for rides across the park without having to hoof it over there and check it out.

If a special meal at a sit-down restaurant is desired, try to plan it at least 2-3 days out and call their reservations line to make a reservation.

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    Friday will be marginally less crowded than Saturday but will still have Fantasmic and Fireworks.

You probably won't be able to do both parks as it is summer, so you may want to pick one park. Your parents may want to do DCA since they have already seen Disneyland, or they may want to do DL since it holds memories for them.

If you have a smart phone, Mouse Wait is a good apt to use to find wait times and FP return times for rides across the park without having to hoof it over there and check it out.

If a special meal at a sit-down restaurant is desired, try to plan it at least 2-3 days out and call their reservations line to make a reservation.
    Thanks, Kristen! We will definitely only be doing Disneyland. My parents truly have no interest in seeing DCA and this is more of just an opportunity for us to go as a family.

I used MouseWait last time we were there and was pretty impressed with it, but I've also used the Disney MyMobileMagic app and that was fine too. Do you find that one is better than the other?

We will definitely be making reservations for BB for sure - my boyfriend and I did last time and it was well worth it, especially getting to sit by the water.

I'm thinking of us getting there for the opening, perhaps for the flag ceremony, and maybe to try and ride the Lily Belle? I never have so it would be something fun and memorable.

Any other suggestions anyone has are welcome! I'm used to giving advice and handling a day at DL as someone who loves the rollercoasters and constantly wants to be on the move, so this will definitely change my perspective of how I see the park!

Hello,
    My suggestion for whenyou visit with your family , is to arrive right when Disneyland opens. You willbe surprised as to how much you can experience within the first few hours ofthe park opening. Then perhaps when you feel your parents need a rest I suggest visiting the tiki room, greatmoments with Mr. Lincoln, take the entire grand circle tour on the railroad, orwatch Billy Hill and the Hillbillies.

I think you have the right attitude. You are willing to go with the flow. I'm sure you'll get a rollercoaster ride here and there. Slowing down your trip will help you have new experiences in the park and that alone will be great.

When I went with my family I had everyone tell me their top 5 attractions of the day so then we had an even share in choosing our itinerary. It might be nice if you show them allears.net and have them be able to choose their meals early. Being hungry and not knowing where you want to eat can create stress and chaos. Everyone doesn't need to go to the same place but you can plan your attractions around the meal places each person is looking forward to (in addition to Blue Bayou of course).

Have a fun trip!

•   

If you get there first thing in the morning you can ask a conductor if the Lily Belle is running that day. If it is you can go to City Hall and make a reservation for it later in the day.

• Blew By You

Sounds like you have some good plans already.
    Here's some others.
    Take the Monorail into Disneyland. You can access the Monorail entrance by the Rain Forest Cafe. You'll be in the heart of Disneyland and save your dad some walking.
    Get your parents and sister involved in planning. Maybe they really want ride on an attraction and skip others.
    Give them a Disney Gift Card. I don't know your budget, but maybe $50 per card would be nice. Let them buy what their hearts tell them to get.
    Don't over plan. Your time with your family is important. If you miss a thing or two, it won't be a disaster.