Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Demolish Autopia

Quote From Reaver:

"I'm all for removing Autopia, but mainly because I don't like it. I mean it's fun if you can't drive, but when you drive in CA traffic, do you really want to drive some more at DL? Now if they could speed them up, maybe add some challenge to it, that would be a different story altogether. Seriously, go-carts are more fun, and twice as fast as the Autopia cars..."

I saw this on another thread having to do with Paradise Pier's removal and DCA "horrors" in general. Reaver made a good point and one that I agree wholeheartedly with...that this attraction warrants retirement.

In my 46 years of DL visitations I have never been on TL's Autopia. It was amazing to me when they revamped the attraction and held a re-opening like it was something new and exciting. Perhaps if you are 12-15 years of age.

When DL was built, one of the big reasons its location was chosen was the fact that the extension of the I5 freeway was passing right by the park's main entrance. Freeways were new and exciting at that time and it's no wonder that TL got its own mini-version of them. Well, the charm has long since vanished and most of us spend enormous amounts of time trying to navigate them. That area always reeked of exhaust for years and was also very noisy. Don't know what the newer vehicles' pollutant or decibel levels are but I'm sure things have changed with EPA standards and the City of Anaheim's codes.

I realize the pylons for the monorail are a major impediment in that area of the park and is perhaps the reason nothing has ever been done but really, that "thing" takes up an enormous amount of space. It could be better utilized for something bigger and better. Or, parceled out for several new attractions' space. What are your thoughts?

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    I seriously doubt it will be demolished anytime soon, especially since it was overhauled not that long ago. It is definitely a favorite for kids and I am sure most of us can remember when we went from riding shotgun to getting to drive our own car. I do HATE the driver's licenses they hand out- a waste of paper if you ask me.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Saddlesore Swanson
    I've thought about this before. That NE section of the park that Autopia occupies is a nice fat chunk of real estate in Disneyland that I think, sometime down the line, will be used for a new attraction/area/somethin'. That said, I acknowledge this as a kid's fave, and deservedly so; the "highway" you drive on is a great scenic ride through the "woods" and 'round the sub lagoon. So I don't see it getting "demolished" any time soon. But eventually...

• (maybe they're right!)

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    ... I do HATE the driver's licenses they hand out- a waste of paper if you ask me.
    Yo DQ...

Is it possible that you hate the licenses because you used to sweep stuff like that up all day?

My kids love the licenses... They have won several free Chevron cars over the years, and we send them all to Mexico (with other Disneyland stuff) with a couple in our church who go down there a few times a year to bless orphanages...

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeSayImGoofy
    Is it possible that you hate the licenses because you used to sweep stuff like that up all day?

Its possible..... I guess I never really looked into what they were good for, apart from putting your pic in them. But those little buggers are a pain to sweep up and most people just leave them on the ground. Thankfully I wasn't in that part of the park very often

Its nice what you are teaching your kids though- props
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Still wants to be a cat!

I know I wouldn't miss Autopia, but my daughter sure would. She is 8 and the thrill of driving is not to be overlooked for someone that age, Disneyland is for the young & young at heart, musn't forget that! I try to let my Hubby go for the ride with her (driving those cars is a challenge), since it can be quite rough on the old tush! Maybe some kind of futuristic car ride would be better though, since it is Tomorrowland and those cars are the "here & now"!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

•   
    • Minion

There is a reason why Autopia was in both FL and TL... It is a fantasy for younger people to drive and they will tomorrow... This isn't supposed to be our Tomorrow... It is theirs....
    Check out my other blog:

Quote Originally Posted by desertdweller
    In my 46 years of DL visitations I have never been on TL's Autopia. It was amazing to me when they revamped the attraction and held a re-opening like it was something new and exciting. Perhaps if you are 12-15 years of age
    heh - never been on it but want it out?

Anyway, from what I can see by the many happy faces when we go on this ride the *target audiecne* loves this ride. Sure, some person that is stuck in traffic all day may have no desire to partake in the fun - but tha target audience you are not.

I do HATE the driver's licenses they hand out- a waste of paper if you ask me.
    Not a waste of paper for some

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    There is a reason why Autopia was in both FL and TL... It is a fantasy for younger people to drive and they will tomorrow... This isn't supposed to be our Tomorrow... It is theirs....

Excellent Point! Here Here! Bravo!
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Autopia really looks dumpy and poorly landscaped compared to the South County Backroads ride at Bonfante Gardens. The Bonfante Gardens ride takes you past streams and waterfalls with exquisite landscaping. You go through a mock car wash and get pulled over by a policeman. If Autopia was redone with electric cars that moved at a constant speed like the Bonfante Gardens ride, it could probably yield a higher capacity.

It could be a great ride if it was redone properly.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Kids love it and the sponsor paid for it to be there. i doubt they would rip it out completely.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• RalphMouth
    why not stay with an automobile theme but replace Autopia with a
    Fast Tracks 'type' ride ??

doesn't have to be the same as Epcot's but I'm willing to bet most
    people would be willing to part with Autopia IF this were to replace it.

just a thought

• Hooterville, USA

I rode it when I was a kid and when my kids were old enough, they rode it. Don't take it out, improve it.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• șoș Tom șoș

Move to DCA- retheme it for the upcoming Pixar film "Cars" and set it in a more exciting face paced course through a mock up of California, ease up in the inihibitors that keep it slow and bamn everyone is happy.

• /sigh

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Move to DCA- retheme it for the upcoming Pixar film "Cars" and set it in a more exciting face paced course through a mock up of California, ease up in the inihibitors that keep it slow and bamn everyone is happy.
    I doubt they'll move it to DCA, but you better believe they'll hype the "Cars" film.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast