Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The Lucky Rabbit

Food Reviews and Pics (July 5 - 9)

When going to Disneyland it can be often hard to determine what to eat at the park. Menu’s are constantly rotating through limited and seasonal items, and oftentimes we stick to our mainstays. Items we have eaten since our youth, or that friends and family have suggested over the past. Especially on short trips, why purchase yourself something new, when you might be trading it for a classic favorite.

I am fortunate enough that when I go to Disneyland I often stay for three to five days which allow me to branch out from classics and be a bit more adventurous. My hope is that each trip I go on that my food photography and reviews will help inform you of some additional options at the resort you may not have known about before.

If I visited an eatery more than once I will combine the items into the same section to make it easier when reading.

I will be posting the reviews in this thread with the appropriate pictures attached as I write them. If you want to see all of the pictures I had previously posted you can do so by clicking here.

Disneyland

Main Street USA - Jolly Holiday

We visited the Counter Service, Jolly Holiday Bakery Café for lunch. In the past I had tried both the Hot Angus Roast Beef on Toasted Onion Roll ($9.69) and the House Specialty Jolly Holiday Combo ($8.99) which included a toasted cheese sandwich and tomato basil soup. The real stand out of the pair was the Jolly Holiday Combo.

On this trip we intended to purchase a pair of jolly holiday combo’s when looking at the menu we noticed some removable boards listing new items. This specialty boards are for items that may come and go from the menu. This time is included a seasonal salad with fresh vegetables and a tuna sandwich. Recently I had changed my diet to be healthier so I decided to try the Jolly Holiday Salad before the specialty Seasonal Salad. We also got the tuna sandwich as well.

Name:  DSCF2876.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  199.3 KBName:  DSCF2884.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  199.9 KB

The Jolly Holiday salad was light and fresh with crisp lettuce. The red and yellow tomatoes were perfectly ripe and burst with flavor in your mouth. The pecans, craisens, dried cranberries, and spiced pecans provided a great texture balance. The raspberry vinaigrette is similar to the one served at The Blue Bayou Restaurant, but I found this blend to be a little on the sweet side when not balanced with some feta in the same bite. The salad also comes with a toasted onion breadstick.

I was a little wary of the breadstick at first because the last ones I had on Main Street were from Plaza Inn last November and were literally as hard as a rock. I have a video of my using it as a drumstick on the table to demonstrate the point; I might post it sometime.

Name:  DSCF2874.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  191.7 KB

The Tuna Sandwich was a soft fresh french roll. The tuna blend included a little bit of onion and chopped celery and was of a creamier consistency. Two large slices of fresh tomato were embedded into the tuna and it was served with a side of house potato chips. The potato chips themselves were nothing to write home about but were much better then the bland Disneyland branded potato chips; often served as a side item with many items in the park. On that note most places that offer the bland potato chips will let you exchange them for a bag of Apples which provide you with 200% of your daily Vitamin C needs, and so far have been nice and crisp and haven’t let me down as a healthier side option.

Name:  DSCF2887.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  186.6 KB

Lastly we tried the special Fourth Of July Holiday Cupcake. It has actually been one of my favorite cupcakes in the park so far. If you haven’t tried many you might think the cake batter has a consistent base but sometimes they are denser or lighter based on the baker and batter. This cupcake had one of the lightest and fluffiest vanilla bases I have had in any cupcake. The frosting was traditional and was topped with a few white chocolate ornaments.
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing ... That it was all started by a mouse ... and inspired by a rabbit."

• The Lucky Rabbit

Re: Food Reviews and Pics (July 5 - 9)

Disneyland

Main Street USA - Carnation Café

Carnation Café is a classic eatery at the Disneyland Parks and also accepts reservations. During our trip we made reservations for both a breakfast and lunch service.

When we arrived for our breakfast service we were happily greeted and seated upon our arrival. We recognized our waitress as one from a prior visit and her attentions to our requests and needs was perfect.

Typically when I go to the Carnation Café I often opt for Oscar’s Choice: All-American Breakfast which includes two eggs any styles, breakfast potatoes, biscuit, and either hickory-smoked bacon or chicken-apple sausage ($9.99). I had checked in on Yelp (
    by the way if you want to friend me on yelp I’m lussier.yelp.com ) and noticed many people speaking positively to the Huevos Rancheros ($9.99) which were a Carnation Specialty.

Name:  DSCF3072.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  163.8 KBName:  DSCF3068.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  107.9 KB

The Huevos Rancheros came with several freshly baked corn tortillas that were topped with fire-roasted salsa, jack cheese, and poached eggs. This was served on top of an avocado-black bean pico de gallo. While one of the simplest items to cook, a perfect poached egg can be a difficult task to recreate consistently in a kitchen. When I cut open the eggs they were cooked to perfection and silky golden yolk poured out over my tortillas. I cleaned my plate and it will definitely be an item I order again.

Name:  DSCF3069.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  133.7 KB

The classic Mickey Waffles ($10.49) were also ordered at my table by a pescatarian who ordered extra fruit in place of the bacon. The waffles were cooked just right, if they had been pulled out sooner I might have said they were a little under-cooked. On their own they are a little bland, and a generous covering of maple syrup definitely helps. The fruit was vibrant and fresh.

The Mickey Waffles are a classic, but I just don’t see or taste my money’s worth from them. Especially considering they are fifty cents more then the Huevos Rancheros.

---

I was very much looking forward to coming back to the Carnation Cafe for lunch. I had been reading online that one of the new must have eating items was the fried pickles and dipping sauce ($5.99).

We had already had a busy morning and came in 45 minutes prior to our reservation to see if we could be seen early. The hostess’s were great, gave us our buzzer to wait and were seating within ten minutes.

We had a waiter/waitress in training and we helped by two amazing staff people. While perusing over the menu I noticed that the Carnation Café had two specialty drinks. PB&J Soda as well as a Chocolate Cherry Coke. I opted to start the order with the Chocolate Cherry Coke and an order of the fried pickles.

Name:  DSCF3538.jpg
Size:  143.5 KB

I love all forms of Cherry Coke so I was intrigued to try this item with my lunch. They use dark chocolate syrup that they blend into the cherry coke for an even taste. The closest thing that I can use to describe it, as my wait staff described it to me, is that it tastes like a liquid tootsie-roll. It definitely wasn’t bad, but I’ll admit I did not finish my glass. It was something I had to try, but probably something I will not order again. Perhaps the PB & J soda next time for me.

Name:  DSCF3541.jpg
Size:  156.8 KBName:  DSCF3542.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  142.0 KB

The fried pickles are vertically slices dill pickle spears that have been dipped in parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs, fried, and then served with a house dipping sauce. I had read about these so many times I was worried they would not live up to the hype. Thankfully they did. Truly a staple anytime I come to the Carnation Café for lunch or dinner. The pickles retained a warm tartness that matched with the crispy salty parmesan skin. The house sauce was not a thousand island but a slightly spicier dip which worked perfectly. I also ordered a side of ranch which I often prefer these kind of items dipped in, however in this case the house sauce was superior.

Name:  DSCF3549 - Version 2.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  168.8 KB

For our lunch entrées I ordered the Green Chili Cheeseburger ($14.99), tied for most expensive menu item at the time. It has an angus-chuck patty base, smothered in melted Manchego cheese, roasted poblano chile, tomato, lettuce, fried egg, and some more of that delightful house sauce on a toasted brioche. The brioche was toasted perfectly to support the burger and toppings. Oftentimes when you bite into burgers with a fried egg it will mix with the sauce toppings and make the bun soggy, not the case here. The bun stood up to the filling and the burger was cooked to a perfect medium. Typically when you are at Disney restaurants they cook their burgers to a medium-well, but I think medium retains a bit more juiciness and flavor. The french fries were perfectly seasoned with a crispy outside, and soft fluffy potato inside. I used my extra house sauce from the pickles with them instead of ketchup.

Side note if anyone has not noticed. Heinz makes a variety of ketchups, including one called All-Natural Ketchup. When I was in the parks in November the ketchup packets were of the traditional variety of ketchup, but this time they were of the All-Natural Heinz Ketchup variety at the different eateries in the park. It does taste different since there is less sugar in it.

Name:  DSCF3544.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  188.1 KB

We also ordered the Turkey Sandwich ($10.99). It has smoked turkey, tomatoes, monterey jack, lettuce, mustard aioli, on a toasted pretzel roll. Just before coming to Disneyland I had read on The Awesomer about how using pretzels or pretzel rolls as buns/bread was a new food trend, and if other options are as tasty as this sandwich I would agree with them. The pretzel roll was fluffy and light, but sturdy enough to hold the sandwich fillings. The turkey was cut just right to add the right texture with the vegetables. The sandwich was also served with the same fries as mentioned above.

It was at this time as we were pondering having a desert that Oscar, one of the longest running Disneyland employees came out to greet us. I make a habit of talking to Oscar anytime he’s out to a point we he recognizes me from the past season’s visit to the Carnation Café. This visitation was especially delightful as we talked and ate our lunch with him for about fifteen to twenty minutes. He took a seat on an empty portion of the booth and talked to us about the food present and past. If you ever see him out and about I would suggest chatting with him. It is always a rewarding experience.

After Oscar our hosts brought us out a silver tray with their two current mason jar deserts. One was a lemon-merengue pie and the other was based on smore’s. I asked about the Fourth of July mason jar desert and it has been layered with vanilla, raspberry, and blueberry reductions and some graham cracker for texture. Definitely wish I hadn’t missed the opportunity to order it (it was only available from July 1-7).

Name:  DSCF3553.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  118.3 KB

We decided on the Smore’s Mason Jar Dessert. It was topped with a little bar of milk chocolate and some mini-marshmallows. It was layered with chocolate fudge, graham cracker bits, and mini-marshmallows. It was absolutely delicious. Make sure when you eat it you get a bit of each level for the whole experience.
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing ... That it was all started by a mouse ... and inspired by a rabbit."

that tuna sandwich made my mouth WATER.
    i defiantly will be trying this!
    maybe stray away from my usual chicken nuggets and fries. lol
    To all who come to this Happy Place.... WELCOME ºoº
    -ig: thelipsticklizz tw:lipsticklizz

• The Lucky Rabbit

@PrincessLizz The sandwich was very good. Closest I suppose I will get to the Chicken of the Sea Tuna Boat in old Fantasyland.

Currently at work, hopefully will be posting a few more reviews to this thread tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by OswaldTheRabbit View Post
    @PrincessLizz The sandwich was very good. Closest I suppose I will get to the Chicken of the Sea Tuna Boat in old Fantasyland.

Currently at work, hopefully will be posting a few more reviews to this thread tonight.
    well you defiantly making my park withdrawals a little worse!! i havent been in a good month, so im a bit upset about it. and one of my favorite parts is just relaxing and eating in the park, and your making me very hungry!! lol
    cant wait to see what else you post that makes my mouth water
    To all who come to this Happy Place.... WELCOME ºoº
    -ig: thelipsticklizz tw:lipsticklizz

• Selfie Expert

My next trip is only two days... I don't know how I can possibly pack all this food in, but I'm going to try my best!

The juevos rancheros at Carnation Cafe are my go-to breakfast item. *drools*

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Fantastic! I love to see pictures of the various foods in the resort! Only problem is... it makes me hungry! Looking forward to seeing and hearing more!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Great photos and great trip report.

Quote Originally Posted by OswaldTheRabbit View Post
    Disneyland
    Side note if anyone has not noticed. Heinz makes a variety of ketchups, including one called All-Natural Ketchup. When I was in the parks in November the ketchup packets were of the traditional variety of ketchup, but this time they were of the All-Natural Heinz Ketchup variety at the different eateries in the park. It does taste different since there is less sugar in it.

More sugar, actually. It's all natural, so uses real sugar instead of HFCS.

I appreciated your pix but the reviews are so helpful! I've never had any of the items you reviewed so far. Thanks for taking that leap and trying new things for us.

I have had the Jolly Holiday combo of tomato soup & grilled cheese. I won't get it again. It was OK but the soup wasn't creamy enough for me and the gc was just ordinary. I can't use my AP discount there and I haven't found something there that I love yet so I try to stay away from JH.

• The Lucky Rabbit

@PrincessLizz I agree that one of my favorite parts of going to the Disney Parks is not just the experience but also the variety of food. I got a little busy lat night but will be posting a few more reviews in a couple hours.

@KellyMcG86 I am glad I finally got something different and tried the Huevos Rancheros, definitely my favorite sit-down breakfast item at the Disneyland Resort so far.

@penguinsoda Thanks so much.

@MAH4546 I always appreciate feedback. After reading your comment I went to Heinz website and it turns out we are both wrong. Normal Heinz, All-Natural Simply Heinz, and Organic Heinz actually all have the same amount of sugar per serving 4g. However the all natural heinz that was at the park when I was actually contains 1 additional carb and 30mg more Sodium in every serving.

@smartlabelprint I agree that the tomato soup & grilled cheese is OK, but it is good at what it is. And for the pickier younger members of my party it works out great, especially on a cold day. The Tuna Sandwich has still been my favorite thing at Jolly Holiday, and I have had better salads elsewhere in the park. Sadly the Tuna Sandwich is not a permanent stay but an on-again off-again menu item.

• The Lucky Rabbit

Disneyland

Main Street USA - Plaza Inn

The Plaza Inn, formerly the Red Wagon Inn has always been a stop for at least one lunch or dinner. A member of my party who is a little pickier loves coming here for their Penne Pasta with Marinara sauce ($13.49). Personally I was never really impressed with their pasta, although the atmosphere inside and out was nice. However this time I decided to try the much hyped Plaza Inn Specialty Chicken ($13.99).

Name:  DSCF3203.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  157.5 KB

My plate included three pieces of chicken, seasoned with herbs and spices. Served alongside the chicken was mashed potatoes, gravy, a buttermilk biscuit and a mixture of vegetables (today was asparagus and red bell pepper). I started off with the chicken, it was cooked to perfection and the skin was golden and crispy. The seasoning on the skin was right on as well. Next I tried the mashed potatoes with gravy, again perfectly seasoned and cooked. The potatoes were between a creamy and chunky consistency to give them a better texture. However the last time items made the meal go down hill for me. The buttermilk biscuit with inedible and almost what I would call bordering stale. It was hard, heavy, and dry, and literally drained all the moisture out of my mouse. As for my side vegetables they were undercooked and tasted like they had no seasoning what soever. If my biscuit and vegetables would have been up to par with the chicken and mashed potatoes I could easily have given then an amazing review. But sadly it was not, and when it makes me crave a KFC biscuit over one produced by Disney there are problems. Perhaps next time I will try the Chicken-Fried Chicken when I am in a chicken mood.

Name:  DSCF3190.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  176.5 KB

As always another member of my party ordered the Penne Pasta with Marinara sauce. The pasta also comes with a breadstick. I am happy to report that the breadsticks have definitely been upgraded in quality since my last visit in November. In November the breadsticks that the pasta came with were so hard you could use them as drumsticks on the table. They were not seasoned and generally were awful. Now however the breadstick tasted fresh and soft and was seasoned nicely with herbs and a butter glaze. The pasta itself was a little bland (please just add a little salt Disney), but the marinara sauce was pretty good. Again if you have a picky eater or just want something plain this can work.

Lastly for the first time we thought we would try some of the deserts at the Plaza Inn. We decided on the carrot cake and the apple crostata. The only reason I initially wanted to get the crostata was I thought it was a fourth of july week special. Turns on only the No-Sugar Added Crostata, with no caramel sauce was the special item.

Name:  DSCF3195.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  141.7 KBName:  DSCF3207.jpg
Size:  128.8 KB

First we tried the carrot cake. This was a winner. The carrot cake itself had a perfect texture of nuts, berry, and cake. The frosting itself was also light and did not weigh down the cake. Two of us finished one of these pretty fast and cleaned the plate. Definitely something I might get for my group to eat while we are waiting on Main Street for a parade.

Name:  DSCF3198.jpg
Size:  158.7 KBName:  DSCF3199.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  155.7 KBName:  DSCF3204.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  164.5 KB

The second desert item we tried was the Apple Crostata. The flaky crust of the crostata was cooked perfectly and the caramel and toasted nuts added a great flavor and texture as well. However the main reason you would buy an Apple Crostata is for the apple’s. Sadly the apple’s in the crostata were all under cooked and after a few bites we ended up discarding the majority to the trash. It’s really sad considering how good it looks, I just wanted the taste to match up. I might try this again as a stand alone item, because if the apples are cooked right it might be a major score.

Overall the atmosphere is great, and its a good place to relax and get out of the heat and crowds. However the food has just been ok and had some major misses on my multiple visits.

I feel for the amount of money your spending, your better off eating at Carnation Café if you want a good meal on Main Street USA.

I can't wait to talk about my trip and get pics (I haven't caught up on my last trip). That carrot cake looks awesome. I so want to try that! Heck I got excited on being able to eat and keep a piece of cheesy garlic bread tonight so you can imagine how much more this is getting me excited. It's two weeks until we fly out on Tuesday, so yes I'm counting down the days

• The Lucky Rabbit

@Blackwidow The carrot cake was great and I highly recommend it. Something I will be posting later is I got to try to Limited treats from Candy Palace. The caramel and white chocolate covered pretzels, as well as their test item "Candy Sticks". Every holiday season the Candy Palace makes a limited amount of hand-made candy canes and its truly an event. I haven't had one yet. However this last week they tested the same technique in a silent test with three flavors of hand-made candy sticks (orange creme, cinnamon, lemon-lime). By the time I heard of the silent test all they had left was cinnamon and lemon-lime, and by the time I purchase lemon-lime was all the was left. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe while you are there they might try making a second batch.

Downtown Disney

Rainforest Café

My family often stops at the Rainforest Café for one of our breakfast options while we are at the Disneyland Resort. Typically our mainstay is the Breakfast Sliders ($10.99). Some of us order them with bacon, others without. This time however I wanted to try something different and ordered Pie of the Viper ($12.99). Also keep in mind if you are an AP pass-holder you get a discount here on food. We were seated quickly and our waitress was great and checked in on us often during our breakfast.

Name:  DSCF3338.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  156.7 KB

One of my family members got the classic Breakfast Sliders. Mini egg sandwiches on toasted slider buns with american cheese and served with breakfast potatoes. The breakfast potatoes were perfectly seasoned. The buns were perfectly toasted and the egg was light and fluffy. I know these are just basic breakfast sliders but they still are very tasty and filling.

Name:  DSCF3342.jpg
Size:  208.4 KBName:  DSCF3343.jpg
Size:  203.3 KB

This time I decided on Pie of the Viper which is a freshly bakes Mexican-style pizza. It is brushed with salsa and topped with scrambled eggs, roma tomatoes, red, green and poblano peppers, cheddar cheese and the Rainforest Café’s special four cheese blend. It’s also garnished with cilantro. Although I did not opt for it you could have also added bacon or sausage for 99 cents each. I had never seen anyone order this so I was expecting a personal size breakfast pizza. My jaw dropped when she brought out this massive breakfast pizza. The pizza itself was easily 14-15 inches square. It was massive. It has a perfectly cooked thin crust and the textures of fluffy eggs, melted cheese, and crunchy peppers was perfect. I really wanted to finish this but I wasn’t able to. Eating this is an undertaking and reminded me of how I feel when I attempt to finish a Monte Cristo by myself. Definitely a great value and can be easily split between two people.

Name:  DSCF3347.jpg
Size:  162.5 KB

To our surprise when we were done the waitress had overhead us talking about one of my family members birthday plans that day and brought us out a little cupcake with a candle. A very nice touch. The cupcake had a dense vanilla based and a whipped cream top with a dash of sprinkles. Although just an average cupcake, the touch was nice considering we never specifically said it was anyones birthday.

Pie of the viper sounds awesome though not my cup of tea! Though aspects of it I would eat.
    breakfast sliders sound interesting as I have not heard of them before.
    The candy palace and carnation cafe are two places I want to visit on my first day.
    thank you for the reviews

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

The Carrot Cake looks awesome
    but whats the berry in the Carrot cake?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast