Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Does Optimistic Futurism still have a place in Tomorrowland?

I think an optimistic tomorrowland is a key part of Disneyland along with nostalgia for an idillic past which never was.

We'll only get a better tomorrow if we dream it and work for it is a key message which the land should inspire.

Id love to see a really futuristic happy tomorrowland which shows what we could be if we work to it.

Rather than the whole retro thing to save long term update costs I'd love Disney to go for the future and embrace the change admitting its gonna change again. Embracing the idea that tomorrowland needs a major revamp every 15-20 years would be a great way to keep the park fresh and inspire new generations rather than thinking of the way the land dates as a problem it should be the strength of the land and the thing which makes it different from the rest of the park

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Interesting philosophy. As long as there is one good outcome, you can burn, rape, and pillage all you want. It is OK to destroy a life as long as you save one...
    False dichotomy.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by USS Seawolf View Post
    False dichotomy.
    As is allowing Monsanto to destroy farmers livelihoods for the hopes that starving children in another country may eventually get fed. It is false as Monsanto could be a good citizen here and STILL work to end starvation. Unfortunately they have chosen to do evil on the way to good. I don't see that as an optimistic future, but closer to a dystopian one - which was where I was going with the original thought.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

I think Tomorrowland should be a place where youth can savor the challenge and promise of the future

• Ducksketeer

As is allowing Monsanto to destroy farmers livelihoods for the hopes that starving children in another country may eventually get fed. It is false as Monsanto could be a good citizen here and STILL work to end starvation. Unfortunately they have chosen to do evil on the way to good. I don't see that as an optimistic future, but closer to a dystopian one - which was where I was going with the original thought.
    Good and evil are just as subjective as hot and cold.

Show me one human who hasn't "done evil on the way to good", or someone who hasn't done good on the way to evil, and I will eat my Mickeymouse hat.
    Last edited by USS Seawolf; 07-15-2013 at 10:38 AM.

James Dusenberry hit it on the nose. There are a ton of things to be optimistic about in the future. There is everything he mentioned and things like flexible glass and better medical tech and more intelligent tech- the future is still bright. I don't think you need a conflict to create a great story for a ride. I wouldn't say that the majority of people who ride space mtn see there being some villain that they are escaping from or that meteors or gamma rays are going to destroy them if they don't go all around. It is just a fun ride with no story being super apparent. Many here have talked about solar power- that's great. I'd be all for putting that all over the place in tomorrowland (provided there isn't a terrible glare off them like currently exists with some solar panels). The future of cars is exciting in its own right but may not be a great ride as there likely is more automation and safety features. Space is still a great place to look for the future. I would like to believe, as someone who will be having kids in the next 3-4 years, that I will be bringing kids into a world that will be even more awesome than the world I get to live in today. And I hope their kids (or their kid's kids) look at when I grew up and wonder how people lived under such brutal conditions. It wasn't all that long ago that we couldn't communicate with people with ease or that traveling across the states was a journey that took months. I expect that gains similar to this will continue. Like has been said here, all this power and awesomeness can be used improperly in the wrong hands but disneyland isn't where I was to be thinking about what can go wrong. Show me what the world can be and help push innovation.

• Down Pluto!

Good and evil are just as subjective as hot and cold.

Show me one human who hasn't "done evil on the way to good", or someone who hasn't done good on the way to evil, and I will eat my Mickeymouse hat.
    Contrary to political dogma - corporations are NOT people. They should be held to a higher standard. Save your hat.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    I think Tomorrowland should be a place where youth can savor the challenge and promise of the future
    Indeed it should!

IMO I truly don't think so. I think the optimistic/plausible future stuff now (or should) have a prominent home at EPCOT where guest should be educated on the present and shown the plausible future. My reasoning being, that when Disneyland first opened, the future was much brighter, and there was so much change that could occur. Now, it's a bit different. To illustrate my point, try to imagine a revolutionary tomorrow that doesn't just expand upon our present without going SciFi. Aside from maybe 2 or 3 things maybe, you can't really think of much let alone really be able to reassess a land with those thoughts. It would work for a tweaked EPCOT but Disneyland, along with its space issues, is in a position where it kind of has to cram things close together and that would require the more "whimsical" future to be mixed with the realistic optimism future. It wouldn't really work to well IMO. Don't get me wrong, I think there can be hints to the optimistic future but the entire land-wise, I don't believe so.

• Down Pluto!

"A vista into a world of wondrous ideas, signifying man's achievements...a step into the future, with predictions of constructive things to come. Tomorrow offers new frontiers in science, adventure and ideals: the Atomic Age...the challenges of outer space...and the hope for a peaceful and unified world."

You know who said that when dedicating Tomorrowland.

Walt was a great man. I know he had great vision....however, I don't think he had the vision to see 60 years into the future. But my post was just my opinion.

• Ducksketeer

Contrary to political dogma - corporations are NOT people. They should be held to a higher standard. Save your hat.
    Standards are also subjective. The seeds Monsanto sued over are actually patented intellectual property---- same as Disneyland and all Disney content.

Is Disney "evil" because they charge people for admission, even people who have little money?

• Down Pluto!

Standards are also subjective. The seeds Monsanto sued over are actually patented intellectual property---- same as Disneyland and all Disney content.

Is Disney "evil" because they charge people for admission, even people who have little money?
    Again false because Disney does not fling their property into your business or property without your knowledge or consent, then sue you to oblivion because you are now in possession of it. Not the same thing at all. Disney is a much more (subjective and relative to be sure) friendly corporate entity in this regard.

Which bring us back to the original point. We should not have to protect ourselves from the ravages of corporations. When corporations - and people - behave in a winner take all and crush everyone in the process manner, it is hard to have an optimistic vision of the future. We need to change ourselves to do that, and by extension change our corporations. That would be a good first step away from the dystopian future...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123