Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Why do the fans always gripe?

Now, I don't want to sound like I'm trolling or to start an argument, but why is it that we always get up in arms whenever a few figures don't function perfectly (case in point: Splash Mountain)? I mean, that was the reason why I chose not to do a trip report on my Disneyland trip, because I thought everyone would become upset as they do now. I don't try and let those things ruin my trip.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Minion

Re: Why do the fans always gripe?

We're paying lots of money... LOTS of money, and animatronics are broken, paint is peeling, tracks are rotting, walls are dirty, etc. Is it so bad that we want the place spotless and in good, working condition? I love the place and I want to see it in its best condition. Disney claims their theme park experiences are valuable, yet they refuse to fix these problems. Not to mention Walt Disney was big on keeping the park in good condition. He set a standard that the Disney team today doesn't seem to take too seriously.

I'm not going to lie, for the most part, the parks are in good condition. They're not falling apart but it would be nice if these problems were fixed, since we're paying hundreds of dollars of our good, earned money.
    Last edited by jasmineray; 07-12-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Minion

Because when we pay a premium price to visit Disneyland, we expect a premium product in return. That means that Disney should be making sure that the parks are in the best possible shape.

yeah, some of these fans act like fanatics...oh wait...

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    Now, I don't want to sound like I'm trolling or to start an argument, but why is it that we always get up in arms whenever a few figures don't function perfectly (case in point: Splash Mountain)? I mean, that was the reason why I chose not to do a trip report on my Disneyland trip, because I thought everyone would become upset as they do now. I don't try and let those things ruin my trip.
    Michael Colglazer, is that you?.....
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Minion

Fans of everything gripe. Go an any sports teams forum and those fans will be griping about how bad the team is and how everything is going wrong, go on a console game forum and they'' be griping about how bad the newest game is. Forums with fans of something will always gripe about something because they're fans and care about whatever it is they're talking about. They'll always think they could run whatever it is better then whoever is running the company/team/whatever. How many times have you thought that you could run Disneyland better than it currently is?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

People on this forum, in general, are invested in Disneyland as a product - excited about it, know details, have favorite 'quirks' and ambiance aspects and parts of rides. I don't see it as ill-natured or 'complaining' out of a desire to be angry, or dislike of Disneyland. If 5 animatronic figures don't work on an attraction, all in one scene, it breaks the 'illusion' or ambiance of a ride. It, in essence, looks fake. That may not ruin the trip, no, if everything else encountered is 100 percent functional and looks amazing - but it's not of the expected standard of previous visits or the optimal way things should be for that attraction. Disney earns a ton of money off the park, high profits, very popular - their reputation in general is 'the best' of the theme park industry. They market and price themselves as a premium product.

So, as a result, people may not feel a broken special effect, constant downtime on a certain ride, inoperative animations for a robotic figure, giant organizational errors, or etc truly reflect 'the best' Disney can do, or their maximum effort for the profit they make from the average visitor. If these small 'off' elements add up, it's a cumulative thing - a trip can seem disappointing, or just 'blah', ordinary, as opposed to exemplary. Disney can (and usually does) do better - it's constructive criticism out of genuine enthusiasm for the park and wanting things to be batting at 110 percent awesomeness.

But when was the last time that Splash Mountain got a rehab? Maybe another one is in the near future. Why, for all we know, after Big Thunder emerges from its overhaul, Splash Mountain may be next up for a vast overhaul.

That's the thing, maybe I like to remain hopeful. I think that's the thing: whenever I read about people griping about effects not working perfectly, that, to me, sends a message that maybe they have lost hope.

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

If you went to your favorite restaurant and saw there was dust/dirt on a table when there wasn't that issue before ever, and you ordered your favorite dish, and it was spicier than had ever been previously prepared to the point of not being edible, would you complain?

That is, in essence, what is happening mostly with Disneyland when people talk about things they observed being not optimal, or 'problems' - it is because they like and enjoy the park and noticed something that to them was both a) not usual and b) detrimental to enjoyment.

• Selfie Expert

I'm sorry to hear that something like that kept you from posting your TR. It's sad that a worry of being attacked for something that is out of your control even exists.

As others have said, you have to remember that many of the people on sites like this are over the top fans of Disneyland (or whatever the site's focus is that you're on). Be prepared for what you may feel is overreaction, when really it's based on passion. There will always be trolls, but most of the comments here are meant to be productive.

I hope you change your mind and decide to do a TR. In my opinion, TRs can be some of the most valuable posts on MiceChat.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Singing Drinker

I personally try not to get too invested in the details.

There are places that I have a critical nit to pick or what have you and I'll go hammer and tongs. There are times that I have a serious issue with what goes on at a park - be it mazes horribly understaffed late event at a halloween event, holes in animatronic skin that go unrepaired for months or years, a !$%$!@# T-rex that just sort of sits there and stares at you instead of lunging out of the waterfall...

Let me get back on track here.

There's "ruin your trip" level that seriously deserves rage. Abusive employees. Dangerous conditions. Serious neglect. Things of that level. The rest to me is a matter of opinion, degree and discussion.

Except that !#$!@#$ T-rex. Thank GOD they started maintaining it.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    As others have said, you have to remember that many of the people on sites like this are over the top fans of Disneyland (or whatever the site's focus is that you're on).
    Well, I'm an over-the-top Disneyland fan, too (if my forum name is any indication), but even I know my limits. I know when best to pick my battles.

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

• Minion

Well, I'm an over-the-top Disneyland fan, too (if my forum name is any indication), but even I know my limits. I know when best to pick my battles.
    But there are no battles. I highly doubt you'll be getting attacks from every corner if you post your TR.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Selfie Expert

Just don't make it confrontational, and you won't have a battle. If a battle erupts, the mods will usually take care of it.

I want to see your TR!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

While Im not bugged too much.....i can see why other are...since your paying 100 bucks...you just want everything at 100%....now if it breaks for a week fine...but if Disney neglects it for months it just seems cheap and lazy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast