• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Angry The (Not So) Wonderful World of Jack and Merida

WARNING: RANTS AHEAD! RANTS AHEAD!

When World of Color does a little stunt for a new movie, it's usually a nice little add-on for the show. TRON Legacy had the right idea: it was big and epic, but it was there only when it needed to. When the Pirates 4 promotion came along, it was- once again- big and epic. It had suspense and fun as a temporary replacement for the Firebird and Chernabog.

1 YEAR LATER...

It had much overstayed its welcome. The movie was already released in theaters to lukewarm response (but to big box office numbers), and released to DVD/Blu-Ray not that long after.

BUT THEN...

Brave came out with its own promotion, complete with bagpipes (which I note since I am a bagpiper myself ). It wasn't AS epic, but it was a nice little add-on. When it got to the Pirates portion, I was anxiously awaiting Chernabog and Hellfire, and what happened? A shortened version of the previous Pirates 4 add-on. I hoped that it would return soon.

1 YEAR LATER...

Brave's hype is long over, as it didn't receive the reception that some usually didn't expect from Pixar with both critics and audiences (ex. Cars 2). Pirates? It just needs to toned down back to what it was before. What could be the reasons? It could possibly be the true fact that Pirates is a popular franchise, and Chernabog seems less memorable when compared to it. I honestly miss the epicness that this portion of the show had without the need of Pirates, and hope that Chernabog and Hellfire return soon.
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

• The doctor is in

Re: The (Not So) Wonderful World of Jack and Merida

I think the current World of Color show has worn out its welcome. It needs new segments for sure.
    Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

• Minion

ORDDU: Perhaps they'll add a segment for Frozen in November--when Hellfire freezes over...

• Closed Account

Whether people love it or hate it, Merida is a Disney Princess and the Disney Princesses have a way of sticking around forever. Since Merida has her own meet n greet at Disneyland, it's safe to say that she is still popular. Like it or not, she's probably going to be a part of World Of Color for a long time to come.

I wish they would totally revamp World Of Color, use more fountain effects and less screen effects. It was one of those shows that once you've seen it, there's not much reason to go back and see it again (at least in my opinion).

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    I wish they would totally revamp World Of Color, use more fountain effects and less screen effects. It was one of those shows that once you've seen it, there's not much reason to go back and see it again (at least in my opinion).
    I agree. I skipped World of Color during my last trip.
    It's a cool show but it doesn't really have that feeling of "whenever I am at Disneyland I can't miss it!" For me it's more of, "oh that was cool. If I don't have anything else planned for the night I'll go catch World of Color."

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

It needs to be redone and transformed into the "theatre in the round" show that was originally designed so that it can be viewed from around the lagoon.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• I'm from Canada eh!

I think people forget that many people experiencing WOC are doing it for the first time. So while it may seam outdated to you, it is a brand new experience for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    It needs to be redone and transformed into the "theatre in the round" show that was originally designed so that it can be viewed from around the lagoon.
    when was it planned like that. The concept was always to have water screens with projections. I think they can put on a better show directing everything in one general direction

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    I think people forget that many people experiencing WOC are doing it for the first time. So while it may seam outdated to you, it is a brand new experience for someone else.
    Yes, as an out of town visitor I can testify that I have only seen World of Color twice; both times with the Pirates segment and once with the Merida segment (plus the Christmas Prep and Landing segment). For those of us who are not AP's visiting every month World of Color is still very, very, very new.

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    A good show should appeal to first timers as well as repeat visitors. If DL went solely by whats good enough for the tourists, we'd be stuck with all the crap that disney gets away with at Disneyworld instead of things like F!.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    A good show should appeal to first timers as well as repeat visitors. If DL went solely by whats good enough for the tourists, we'd be stuck with all the crap that disney gets away with at Disneyworld instead of things like F!.
    I agree, however I'm not sure what you want in terms of repeatability. It's basically a clip show on watersceens.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Exactly. I have been going to Disneyland practically my whole life and I never miss a show of Fantasmic if it's running during my visit. I will literally plan my week according to when I can see it. I don't do that with World of Color because it isn't that great of a show for repeat viewings.

• My Favorite Anna

When WOC first came out I saw it and I didn't like it. So I'm not missing anything from it now with Fan! I see it ever so often cause to me you get more out of Fan! then you do with WOC.

MY LONG TIME FRIEND THAT I HAVEN'T SEEN FOR 2 YEARS.

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

Since WOC debuted i've only been able to go to DL a few times on very quick trips and I have yet to see it. However, I have watched F! every trip, if not multiple times.

To me WOC has always seemed like a big clip show on water. I've seen the fountains in Vegas so i've never felt I was missing much. I'd much rather spend my time watching F! but thats just me. I feel like WOC is missing something truly special and unique, for example Churnabog Tower. Since that effect didn't work from day one, I doubt they will bring back that section of the show.

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!