Smile My DLR Trip, June 28-9

This was the very first time I had ever planned for a trip to Disneyland. It was to help me with a feel of independence, although I got help from my dad. I booked my own hotel room and bought my own ticket (Dad bought his own).

We went down on June 27 and stayed at a Super 8 just steps from the park. I booked through AAA, which gave me a discount on parking. At the motel, I paid for the room. After settling in, I bought pizza for us.

The next morning, it was off to Disneyland! We drove over to the parking structure, where we placed our parking pass on the dashboard. We then went ALL THE WAY up to the very top of the structure! The escalator down is VERY tall!

After making it there by way of tram, Dad and I then got our tickets (like I said, we provided printed papers from AAA). I knew from the start that Big Thunder, one of my most favorite Disneyland rides ever, was going to be shut down, which was disappointing, but at least I knew. I also knew that it would reopen soon enough.

Anyway, we then went into the park and decided to get Fastpasses for Space Mountain. These passes, however, explained to be at the ride within the time slot or the passes expire. After getting them, we then quickly got in line for Star Tours 2 and did that. It was fun. I like the idea of them doing a different ride with different sections mixed and matched each time. We got the pod racer and then the underwater part. We then went off to Fantasyland and did, in that order, Peter Pan, Pinocchio and Snow White.

As the Fastpass time for Space Mountain opened, we were able to get new passes, so we got them for the Indiana Jones ride. We then went back to Tomorrowland and did Space Mountain. We then puttered around in the Star Trader. But on the way, I stopped into the Starcade so I could see that real-live Fix It Felix game made to promote the release of "Wreck-It Ralph". We then looked around at some things we needed to buy for people who lived at home. My sister wanted a T-shirt with Darth Vader riding Dumbo or, failing that, some other shirt (but I forgot what it was). They did not have that shirt. Another thing we were to buy was a bendable Mickey toy for a cousin of mine's new baby.

So anyway, we then left to do another ride. As our return time for Indiana Jones was drawing near, we decided to do that. After that, we then went and did Splash Mountain. But first, we got some clear plastic bags from the nearby Pooh shop to keep our items protected from any stray splash. On the ride, I noticed some figures not working, but I decided to let it go at that, hoping that it would be taken care of sometime soon. Since it was right there, we then did the Haunted Mansion. We then went hopped on the Disneyland Railroad train and headed to Mickey's Toontown, where we did the Roger Rabbit ride. After that, we looked inside the Gag Factory store for some of the items we needed to buy. Then Dad needed to make some phone calls or something, so I went over to Mickey's House to kill time. I was wondering if I would be able to meet with the "talking" Mickey that I heard about in the videos some time ago. No luck.

We then reconvened near the gas station in Toontown sitting on some tables under some umbrellas. By now, it was starting to get toward 12PM and we were hungry. But I did not want to go to Redd Rocket's for pizza, since I had had some already in the hotel, nor was I fond of Mexican food, so I didn't want to do the Rancho del Zocalo either. We decided maybe to go to New Orleans Square for some clam chowder bowls. But on the way over there, we stopped and did the teacups and then the Carrousel, and then we passed by the Village Haus restaurant. I had not eaten there in a long time, and we decided to do that, provided I could find something there that was not a burger or pizza (I was trying to lose some weight). After looking over the menu, I finally got a sausage in a pretzel roll. It's really good. I gave Dad the sauerkraut that it topped. He got a huge apple-cheddar salad and added my sauerkraut to it. Instead of fries, I got a fruit cup. And I had water to drink. That was pretty much all I drank the whole trip, was water.

Here's where I'll stop. I'll pick up later. What do you think?
    Last edited by Disneylandfan85; 07-13-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Selfie Expert

Re: My DLR Trip, June 28-9

So glad you decided to post!! It sounds like you got a lot in already before lunch. Great start, looking forward to more!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

I think the start to your trip sounds great. You are doing an amazing job of being independent by making healthy choices for yourself, let alone paying for your trip! It's crazy how such a small thing as drinking only water shows respect for the gift of life.

So then, we went over into Frontierland. We intended to do Pirates. But on the way, we decided to do the Mark Twain. Now, here's where a highlight of the trip comes in. As we were waiting to get on the boat, the captain walks up and invites us both into the wheelhouse! I had never been up there before! Needless to say, we accepted. We went up in there. I blew the whistle and rang the bell! It was all great fun. Dad was so impressed that he had to do it, too. We talked about how Walt had once been up in the wheelhouse before, too. The cast member also noticed that I was wearing a Disney Family Museum T-shirt (a great museum, by the way). I explained that my sister often worked there as a volunteer.

So after getting off the Mark Twain, after that great experience, we went and did Pirates. Then we puttered around in the nearby Pieces of Eight shop, where we were looked for more items needed to buy. We were going to be doing a pirate-themed pool party later in the summer, so we thought about looking for some things to decorate. We actually didn't need that much since we had much of everything already. So anyway, we then went over back into Adventureland. We got ourselves a couple of chicken skewers from the Bengal Barbecue and looked for someplace to sit down and eat them. We went to Aladdin's Oasis, where there were some tables. Then we headed over to the Tiki Room to do that. We wanted to get some Dole Whips, but the lines for both sides of the counter were too long. That was probably the only real long line we encountered in the park (but then, we just managed to hit the rides at all the right times so there was not much of a wait). Then we did the Jungle Cruise. Actually, that was the other real long line we encountered, because it took us up into the upper level of the building. But up there, we encountered an AA of a hornbill (possibly the rare kind that was likely to become a little more rare). Then after doing the Jungle Cruise, we went over into the Pioneer Mercantile shop in Frontierland to do more shopping. They had a lot of merchandise for the then-upcoming Lone Ranger.

Okay, that's it for now. Thoughts?

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am loving your detailed trip report.

Did you happen to take any photos during your trip? If you did, I would love to see them. Of course, not every great trip report must have pictures.

• Selfie Expert

Did you get certificates from your trip in the wheelhouse? It's really a neat experience! I'm so glad you got to enjoy it!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Disneyland Dreamer

That's awesome!!! I wanted to do the wheelhouse, and we even waited for an entire trip around to try for a chance. Alas... no luck. So glad you got to experience a rare occurrence for most.

I'm captivated by your trip report! Your attention to detail is refreshing, and I enjoy your writing style. By all means, carry on!

http://www.facebook.com/christopher.allred2
    Feel free to add me. I love getting to know new people.

As it was now starting to get towards the late afternoon, we decided to go over by Tomorrowland, because I wanted to do the Autopia (I really don't want it to go, as it is literally the only Tomorrowland attraction that has been around since day one). So we went over by there and picked up some Fastpasses for it. We then got a couple of little snacks. I got a frozen lemonade (that was probably the only other drink I had besides water), and Dad got some popcorn, which we both had. Our return time was not far off, so we went ahead when the time appeared. I agreed to go behind Dad, because he does not being rear-ended by other drivers. It didn't really matter, actually, because my car came to a stop several times along the track, causing me to fall behind Dad, so he didn't have anything to worry about there.

We then thought of another plan: I wanted to go and do the Astro Orbiter, while Dad wanted to do the monorail. So we both went our separate ways to do them and then we reconvened at about the same time in the shadow of the Matterhorn. We then headed over to Fantasyland and did It's a Small World. It was fun as always. Then we decided we just had to do the train around the park. We had already gone from New Orleans Square to Mickey's Toontown, so we went from Toontown all the way around the park to New Orleans Square again. Here, we did another trip on the Haunted Mansion and then made our way over to the Royal Street Veranda for a quick dinner. I had me clam chowder in a bread bowl, but I could not eat all of the bread. Then we again went on Pirates of the Caribbean. After that, we puttered around some more in the Pieces of Eight shop. We each bought a tiny button, one each with my mother's two favorite Disney villains on it: Maleficent and the Wicked Queen (but not the Witch) from "Snow White".

Soon it was dark and we looked around in the shops on Main Street. But we also wanted to make sure we had time for the fireworks show. At one point, Dad had to use the bathroom, but I took my time coming over to City Hall, where the bathroom in question was (I stopped inside just for a second at the Main Street Cinema). But I lost him. I tried and tried to call him on my cell, but he never answered. I was finally forced to play "phone tag" with him and leave him a message. He finally called back and let me know that he had managed to get back to Fantasyland, over near Small World. So I made my way up there. It was where we were going to see the Magical fireworks show. It was a great show (not as great as Remember Dreams Come True, though). The Small World area was where we always watched the fireworks because it was not nearly as crowded there as at Main Street and the hub, even though it also was where they were the loudest. I had to cover my ears a lot of the time because the explosions were just so huge and, consequently, so loud.

After the show, we mulled over doing the Matterhorn, but, after hearing about how bad the bobsleds were, decided against it; we didn't need to rough up our backs. So Dad went off someplace and I went to do the Alice ride. Even though the closing music for the fireworks had finished, it took a lot longer than I expected for the ride to start back up again. But eventually, I was on and I did that. After the ride, we decided to start making our way out of the park rather than close out the place. We made our way back down Main Street to the main entrance. Along the way, we stopped in the new Disney Gallery store near Mr. Lincoln. We looked around in there, and we actually tried to buy some kind of Tiki Room merchandise. But they were out, although there would be more the next morning. Afterwards, we left and went back to our hotel room.

That ends the first of two days at the Disneyland Resort.

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

The next morning, we were to go to the California Adventure. We got up and had breakfast. In the breakfast room, they had had the news on announcing the legalization of gay marriage. They also displayed an issue of The New Yorker which show Bert and Ernie of "Sesame Street" together. I really don't see them as homosexuals at all, just a couple of heterosexual life partners.

I'm sorry, where was I?

So anyway, we got into the California Adventure a few minutes or so before opening time and we made a beeline for Cars Land to do the Radiator Springs Racers. But when we got there, a bunch of cast members had closed off the entryway, saying that the ride was having some issues and there was really no way of saying how long it would take, but to check back about an hour or so later. So anyway, we got some Fastpasses for Soarin', then went and did Screamin' twice, back to back. Then we went and did the Toy Story midway ride, which was mildly amusing. I got a bigger score than Dad. Soon it was time for our return time for Soarin', so we went back and did that. It was a great ride, but a bit short.

Okay, I'll stop here now. I'm tired.

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight