Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Space Mountain doesn't have a single rider line, unless they have added it recently.

GSS would be very uncomfortable, unless they are given their own row.
    GSS is the one ride where I really think that they shouldn't have SR in the same row. Those cars are so tight and there's so much physical contact that it's super awkward if you don't know the person. Plus the line on that isn't so long that they really need to pack in every single seat all the time.

In all the other rides that isn't an issue. And on rides like Soarin' you're going to be sitting next to strangers regardless if you're on your own.

Since I'm a single rider I end up sitting next to strangers all the time and it's fine. I did have that one incident where alarm bells were really going off in my head that my potential seatmate was unsafe or creepy and I refused, but that was the only time that ever happened.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Selfie Expert

My husband and I often meet up with a friend at the parks, so we're a part of three (not SR). On the rides that seat two to a row, my friend is often stuck with a SR. It's never seemed to bother him except on GSS it looks a little awkward. I, being the nice friend I am, took a bunch of photos of us during the ride and laughed at the expressions on my friend and his SR ride partners faces during it.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• I'm from Canada eh!

Well, you know the old saying... "A single rider is just a friend that you have not met yet"

We only ride S/R for RSR and CS so it is not much of a big deal, but I don't love the idea of a family trying to get it their way for the kids can ride by themselves.

I also do like the idea with my daughter or wife having to sit with a person who makes them uncomfortable, especially in a dark ride like space.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I have to agree with what a previous posted said.... What if every group then asks for no single rider? Then your essentially lengthening the standby line and cutting ride capacity. The single rider line was created to help the stand by line, not hinder it.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    I have to agree with what a previous posted said.... What if every group then asks for no single rider? Then your essentially lengthening the standby line and cutting ride capacity. The single rider line was created to help the stand by line, not hinder it.
    What if we then extend it to "I am a family of 4, and I only want a pic of my family on Splash, so don't put anyone else in my log" or a pic of 2 on Space. Where do we draw the line?

I definitely understand on GSS, and I understood on Toy Story (glad they got rid of that one) but not on the others.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

We draw the line saying.. this is a public space.. shared by everyone.. rent out the park if you want privacy...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    What if we then extend it to "I am a family of 4, and I only want a pic of my family on Splash, so don't put anyone else in my log" or a pic of 2 on Space. Where do we draw the line?
    I think it depends on how busy the ride is at that time. I'm sure that CM's would like to help people out where then can, but if it was peak season, mid day saturday, they may not give you a log to yourself. BUT A tuesday evening in October? No problem.

It also took a bit to figure out what GSS is and I could not IMAGINE riding with a stranger. Such a tight space to begin with and couple that with being jerked around so much... No thank you.
    Last edited by Meville; 07-15-2013 at 08:09 AM.

• Foolish Mortal

I usually meet up with my wife at DLR and often get there before her. Most times I head straight to RSR SRL and have done this quite a few times. I never strike up a conversation other than a quick "hey" after sitting down in my seat.

• Go Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by USS Seawolf View Post
    I find it so irritating how self absorbed some people are in these situations. What if EVERYONE refused to have someone sitting next to them? The lines would be twice as long!

I would certainly hope that if it was during a busy time the CM would deny the person that type of request. If it was a slow time of day, I don't even think it would be a problem because they would have already seated the person without a single rider anyway.
    I don't think my friends - or myself - are self-absorbed. If EVERYONE refused single riders (which, of course, they wouldn't) then no, the lines would most certainly not be twice as long. The single rider line would perhaps be slightly longer, I suppose.

I don't think I'm quite on the same page as those of you who are against requesting no single rider.

For me, it's not really a matter of privacy or "I'm afraid of strangers," it's a matter of priority...

Disney is constantly reminding single riders that their wait time is extremely unpredictable (could be long, could be short) and the line itself is fairly "hush-hush" (though definitely not as hush-hush as it used to be...and we of course now have rides...like RSR, Test Track, Everest if I remember correctly...which have dedicated lines and wait time listings).

IMO, Disney sort of markets single rider lines in a way that implies you are "benefiting" from a system that is in fact for DISNEY'S benefit. Disney doesn't care about your queuing or boarding experience, they simply use you for increased capacity numbers. At the same time, they don't seem to care about how long the wait time for the single rider queue gets.

So wouldn't it make sense for Disney to want to "please" the stand-by and FastPass guests? Even if that means *slightly* lower capacity numbers (I don't think there would be a significant decrease - at all - despite what a lot of you seem to think), isn't the satisfaction of stand-by and FastPass guests more important than how long the single riders have to wait?

I guess that's what my friends' point was...and again, I think I agree with them. I don't think they're arrogant for thinking this way. Again, single riders normally wait in very short queues for rides with very long stand-by waits. I once waited 10 minutes for RSR when the stand-by queue was about two hours. If a family wanted to ride alone and I had to wait a couple more seconds, that would be totally fine by me.

And this is why I'm fairly certain most CM's would listen to the occasional no-single-rider request, and it sounds like they do for the most part.

• Chief Troublemaker

I don't understand what people are concerned about. Have there been reports of people or kids being groped or followed or having improper suggestions made to them?

I've been going to DL since 1955 (age 7 months, opening day) and have ridden next to strangers more times than I can possibly count and have never had a bad/scary experience. Both my now grown kids have ridden next to strangers when they were young & have never had anything happen to frighten them.

I'm not trying to criticize anyone and I know some people have social anxieties &/or fears. But how can you tell a 'creeper' just by looking at them? There have been some pretty evil people who have looked very nice & some very nice people who are somewhat creepy looking. And if you can 'just tell' by someone's 'vibe', then you are very lucky because I sure can't.

But if for some reason I felt the need, I guess I could see quietly asking the CM if I could wait for the next ride vehicle if for some reason I felt uncomfortable about the person already seated by the empty space, but I don't think I could ever see myself saying to the CM 'I don't want you to seat that person next to me' if I was already seated & they were boarding the next group/person. Nor could I ever see myself asking a CM to let a seat go empty on if people were waiting to ride just because I wanted to ride 'alone'.

Just my opinion.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by KevRus View Post
    I don't think my friends - or myself - are self-absorbed. If EVERYONE refused single riders (which, of course, they wouldn't) then no, the lines would most certainly not be twice as long. The single rider line would perhaps be slightly longer, I suppose.

I don't think I'm quite on the same page as those of you who are against requesting no single rider.

For me, it's not really a matter of privacy or "I'm afraid of strangers," it's a matter of priority...
    The idea is that if there is an open seat you fill it. Same as on a public bus or train, why have people waiting for another train when people are hogging seats for their bags or to put their feet on? Same as at a lunch counter when someone leaves a seat--- another person fills it. What if someone said: I don't want someone sitting next to me on bus or at the lunch counter?

The open seat belongs to DISNEYLAND not the person who isn't occupying it; they can fill it however the park sees fit, and if increasing ride efficiency is how they see fit, so be it.

I also have a bit of a problem with children dictating terms to anyone and then having their parents back them up. In my humble opinion this just creates children who are falsely led to believe they are the center of the universe; they only become entitled adults.

But my remark was not directed at you or anyone else specifically; just my general opinion on people who have a problem sharing public space-- it is not their space.

• Go Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by USS Seawolf View Post
    The idea is that if there is an open seat you fill it. Same as on a public bus or train, why have people waiting for another train when people are hogging seats for their bags or to put their feet on? Same as at a lunch counter when someone leaves a seat--- another person fills it. What if someone said: I don't want someone sitting next to me on bus or at the lunch counter?
    I guess I'm just of the mindset that Disneyland is not at all equivalent to a lunch counter or a morning commute. Disney is in the customer service business. If a guest who waited 60+ minutes in stand-by does not want a single rider who waited 10 minutes in their on-ride photo, why not listen to the stand-by guest's request?

I suppose all of this discussion is sort of meaningless anyways, because I imagine CMs would honor such requests. Was just curious to know if this has ever been a problem for anyone.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I'm not trying to criticize anyone and I know some people have social anxieties &/or fears. But how can you tell a 'creeper' just by looking at them? There have been some pretty evil people who have looked very nice & some very nice people who are somewhat creepy looking. And if you can 'just tell' by someone's 'vibe', then you are very lucky because I sure can't.

But if for some reason I felt the need, I guess I could see quietly asking the CM if I could wait for the next ride vehicle if for some reason I felt uncomfortable about the person already seated by the empty space, but I don't think I could ever see myself saying to the CM 'I don't want you to seat that person next to me' if I was already seated & they were boarding the next group/person. Nor could I ever see myself asking a CM to let a seat go empty on if people were waiting to ride just because I wanted to ride 'alone'.

Just my opinion.
    Well, for me - one of the first things they tell you in a self-defense course is to trust your instincts. If there's something about a person that is setting off every red flag and alarm bell in your head, they tell you to trust that instinct and get out of the situation, change your seat on the bus, wait for the next elevator, etc. That's not even assessing a person by race/dress/if they look pleasant, but just trusting your gut. Of course this isn't foolproof and a lot of people have social anxiety/et al, but it has worked for me. There was one time, for instance, I felt I needed to move away from someone on a bus, and it turned out that he was a violent felon who was arrested a few days later for attacking someone...on a bus. I recognized his mug shot on the news.

So at Disney, if someone is truly setting off all the "Danger, Will Robinson!" alarms for me, I would quietly ask to be reseated or walk out of the ride. It's only happened that one time, I hope it never happens again, and I'm usually quite happy sitting next to strangers. I totally agree that I would never say something if I were already on the ride and the person sat down next to me, or ask to ride alone just for the sake of space/etc.
    Last edited by Malina; 07-15-2013 at 08:13 PM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Minion

I don't really agree or disagree with any of this--but I will say one thing. People choose to be single riders, but do not choose to have single riders seated next to them. So it's a lot easier for someone who frequents the Singles line to say "Disneyland needs to be shared" and "capacity is most important" and all that good stuff than for the person who is sitting unwillingly next to a stranger.

Theoretically, everyone should want to go in the Single Rider line--it's quicker. But why are families waiting 200 minutes for RSR all the time? Because they want to be with their families, sure that's most of it...but a lot of smaller parties who probably wouldn't necessarily mind getting split up still wait it out because they are uncomfortable with strangers (I'd bet more people than you think stick it out in the big line because of this reason).

That being said, how is it fair for a person to wait longer so they can be comfortable have to sit next to someone they don't want to sit next to who waited about a fraction of the time they did? Sure, Disneyland is for everyone and people have to share, but when you're waiting in a huge standby line, there should be some advantage to it, otherwise why wouldn't all parties of three or five wait in single lines, since one of them would end up acting as a single rider anyway?

This is kind of out in left field... but it seems like the SRL would be a great way to meet women?

I've never really known about the SRL, and I have no need to use it in such a capacity now, but it seems like it'd be a proverbial goldmine. I always used to enjoy picking up/hanging out with local California girls as a teenager at Disneyland.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast