Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 86
  1. #31

    • Autobot Weapon Specialist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    6,209

    Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

    It would defeat the whole purpose of the single rider system if they allowed standby guests not to ride with single riders.


  2. #32

    • Ducksketeer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bonafide SoCal original
    Posts
    141

    Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevRus View Post
    If a guest who waited 60+ minutes in stand-by does not want a single rider who waited 10 minutes in their on-ride photo, why not listen to the stand-by guest's request?
    With all due respect, because it doesn't matter how the stand-by guest "feels" about it; Disney management has determined that filling seats on high demand rides during peak hours increases efficiency, it's their call. Your comment seems to suggest that this in some way about fairness.... or at least someone's subjective opinion on what fairness is.

    But let me give you another example: Sometimes a ride breaks down and a person is given a pass to use the ride later through the exit. These people have already waited in the line and DL is giving them a chance to get on the ride without waiting again. Should a person be able to "request" that this person not be seated next to them? I don't think so. It sounds like you are suggesting that by telling a person who is a single rider that they have to wait a little longer, you are injecting a sense of justice upon someone who you feel hasn't paid their debt? It just doesn't work that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by KevRus View Post
    I suppose all of this discussion is sort of meaningless anyways, because I imagine CMs would honor such requests. Was just curious to know if this has ever been a problem for anyone.
    Maybe, maybe not. I've seen CMs deny requests for front row seats at times when there were already too many people in the front row standby line. At some point they can't have 50 people on the platform blocking the path waiting for the first two seats. At some point they need to fill other seats quickly too.

    Just because Disneyland is the "happiest place on Earth" doesn't mean it has to be "the most entitled place on Earth" too. Just my opinion.

  3. #33

    • The doctor is in
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    1,014 miles away
    Posts
    2,582

    Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

    Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    It would defeat the whole purpose of the single rider system if they allowed standby guests not to ride with single riders.
    Pretty much.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.












  4. #34

    • Kingdom Comedian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    942

    Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

    I'm gonna side with the OP on this one.

    If you say "what if everyone asked not to be seated with a single rider?" then you have to extend that to "what if EVERY guest asked for the front row?"

    Everyone doesn't and everyone won't.

    If people would like to (again, politely) ask to not be seated next to a single rider, I say it's fine.

    It sounds like CMs are fine with it too.

  5. #35

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

    Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    It would defeat the whole purpose of the single rider system if they allowed standby guests not to ride with single riders.
    But in some cases, wouldn't the single rider line sort defeat the purpose of the standby line? If everyone wanted to ride with people they didn't know, everyone would use the single rider line, hypothetically speaking.

  6. #36

    • Go Bears!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Posts
    223

    Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

    Quote Originally Posted by USS Seawolf View Post
    With all due respect, because it doesn't matter how the stand-by guest "feels" about it; Disney management has determined that filling seats on high demand rides during peak hours increases efficiency, it's their call. Your comment seems to suggest that this in some way about fairness.... or at least someone's subjective opinion on what fairness is.
    It's not about "justice," it's about guest service. Guests' feelings do matter to Disney. No, single riders have not done anything wrong. The single rider line increases capacity, not efficiency, as far as I understand it. Disney simply wants to be able to post high capacity numbers in their attractions' statistics. High capacity numbers "look good" for amusement parks.

    I don't really understand your broken down attraction example. Are they a single rider? Why would they be seated alone next to one person? I'm not talking about simply "sitting next to people," I'm mostly talking about sitting with one single rider in one row on rides such as RnRC or Screamin'. Again, I don't think this is a matter of justice or entitlement or fairness as you keep bringing up; simply a matter of "guest service prioritizing." The single rider line is low priority. Disney simply uses it the line for numbers, but I do believe guest service is still more important to them.

    Maybe, maybe not. I've seen CMs deny requests for front row seats at times when there were already too many people in the front row standby line. At some point they can't have 50 people on the platform blocking the path waiting for the first two seats. At some point they need to fill other seats quickly too.

    Just because Disneyland is the "happiest place on Earth" doesn't mean it has to be "the most entitled place on Earth" too. Just my opinion.
    Asking for the front row is entirely different. This is asking the CM to "do more." Politely and discreetly asking a CM not to seat you with a single rider is asking the CM to "do less."

    As a previous poster mentioned, there is never going to be a line of people who have requested not to be seated with a single rider. It's not at all like asking for the front row!

    I don't think anyone who would ask a CM about this is entitled, and I think it's a bit judgmental to call it that.

  7. #37

    •   
    • Lurking in the corners
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nothern Ohio
    Posts
    679
    Blog Entries
    22

    Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

    It seems to me that the OP simply wants something like:

    OP - "Oh, CM, before we even leave the queue for a 4-person ride car, if it is possible, could you not put a single rider with our party of 3?"

    CM - "Well, since the lines are short, okay."

    OP - "Thanks so much!"

    --or--

    CM - "Sorry, no. The SR line and standby line are too long to do that. Gotta fill the seat."

    OP - "Oh, well" and gets on ride anyway.

    If this is the case, I say fine either way. I do agree that those "entitled people" who throw fits or get pushy about such things make it hard for this to happen.

    “That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

  8. #38

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    82

    Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

    Quote Originally Posted by USS Seawolf View Post
    Just because Disneyland is the "happiest place on Earth" doesn't mean it has to be "the most entitled place on Earth" too. Just my opinion.
    This is funny because over the years I've actually found it to be more and more the latter.

    Personally I'm a bit of an oddball in that I can't stand strange people touching me or even making small talk. Therefore, I don't care for single riders being next to me. But this is my problem and I adapt. I never go to the parks alone and everyone that I go to the parks with knows that I need to sit on the end or with them on either side of me.

    My wife will usually take the spot next to the single rider since she loves to make new friends and will chat it up if they start the conversation.

  9. #39

    • Ducksketeer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bonafide SoCal original
    Posts
    141

    Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevRus View Post
    It's not about "justice," it's about guest service. Guests' feelings do matter to Disney.
    BINGO! Because it matters to Disney that more people get to experience the ride. It matters to Disney that by having a single rider option people who may be discouraged from waiting for hours, or possibly not going on that ride, will go on the ride. Last thing they want is people to say, "oh forget about, don't go on this day or that season because you won't get on a ride." At least this way, along with fastpass, there are other options. People can say, "we didn't get there in time to get a fastpass for Cal Sreamin', they were all taken for the day, but because we split up and rode single, we at least experienced the ride--- so by all means go even on a busy day." Get it?



    Quote Originally Posted by KevRus View Post
    I don't really understand your broken down attraction example. Are they a single rider? Why would they be seated alone next to one person? I'm not talking about simply "sitting next to people," I'm mostly talking about sitting with one single rider in one row on rides such as RnRC or Screamin'. Again, I don't think this is a matter of justice or entitlement or fairness as you keep bringing up; simply a matter of "guest service prioritizing." The single rider line is low priority. Disney simply uses it the line for numbers, but I do believe guest service is still more important to them.
    They use it to satisfy guests and to fill up the ride. If there are benefits by number statistics, that is just secondary in my opinion. Just because they keep track of numbers is only one factor in their evaluation of a ride.



    Quote Originally Posted by KevRus View Post
    Asking for the front row is entirely different. This is asking the CM to "do more." Politely and discreetly asking a CM not to seat you with a single rider is asking the CM to "do less."
    It is asking the CM to do more (afford the luxury of being able to ride with an empty seat next to you) for one person, at the expense of doing less for other people also waiting in a single rider line. It is about a skewed sense of judgment and / or entitlement in my opinion. It's almost like asking a flight attendant to leave a seat next to you empty because you had reservations 10 months ago, and why should another passenger who just got a standby ticket 10 minutes ago make your flight less enjoyable? Put them next to someone else who just bought a ticket today!

    I guess we are just wired differently---- nothing wrong with that, but I just see it the way Disneyland needs to see it. And in the end, it is their decision, just like on a airline.

  10. #40

    • Go Bears!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Posts
    223

    Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

    I guess I just a) don't think single rider lines are very much used by casual visitors and families; rather, by enthusiasts or regulars (who often indeed are visiting the parks alone) and b) think of the single rider line as a "no-frills, no-guarantees, no-perks, no-benefits, no-complaints" kind of a deal. I'm less focused on the specific seats and more focused on the overall "needs" of guests, or more specifically, of families.

    I suppose we're at an impasse...I'm sure you'll respond, but I'm getting tired so I must resist temptation to post again! But, to conclude, I guess I'm an entitled person who was raised poorly!
    Last edited by KevRus; 07-16-2013 at 01:36 PM.

  11. #41

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    173

    Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

    It's not like you're asking for permission to throw a fit and be a jerk about it. It seems totally legit to politely ask the question, as long as you're prepared for the CM to politely decline if the lines are such that it'll create a problem. Same goes whether that's an adult or a child. In fact, it seems like a good experience for a child who wants the experience of riding by themselves to take on making the request -- learning that sometimes the answer will be "sure!" and sometimes they'll have to accept that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs (or in this case, the wants) of the one."

    All that said, generally speaking, you've just spent the last hour or so standing just as close (or closer) to at least one stranger -- probably a lot more. I tend to find that far more invasive of my personal bubble than being seated next to a stranger for 2 - 3 minutes on a ride (unless we're talking GSS, the old Matterhorn sleds, or the old Splash Mountain logs -- ICK.)

    As for "earning" the right to make the request because you've waited longer than the single rider, I just don't think that's a thing. It's all give and take. You waited longer, but you're riding with your people. They got in quicker, but are riding by themselves. They aren't getting away with something; that there is such a thing as a Single Rider Line makes the stand-by lines shorter.

    Everyone paid to get in. Everyone's polite requests carry equal weight -- just as they all carry the equal prospect that they won't be satisfied because of factors other than our individual desires.

  12. #42

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    6 hours from the House of Mouse
    Posts
    3,669

    Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevRus View Post
    I guess I just a) don't think single rider lines are very much used by casual visitors and families; rather, by enthusiasts or regulars (who often indeed are visiting the parks alone) and b) think of the single rider line as a "no-frills, no-guarantees, no-perks, no-benefits, no-complaints" kind of a deal. I'm less focused on the specific seats and more focused on the overall "needs" of guests, or more specifically, of families.
    I know quite a few annual visitors who use single rider. For example, my brother's family will come down once or twice a year for a vacation. The 10yo is tall enough for Screamin', the younger 3 boys aren't. So, dad and 10yo ride Screamin' single rider, while the younger 3 and mom ride the carousel.

    I have a friend who visits once every 18 mos or so from Louisiana. She is solo in the park. She uses single rider.

    I brought my nieces down (12 and 9) last week for their annual trip. I was running solo in the park with them. They really wanted to ride Matterhorn, so I let them go Single rider while I watched them through the line. (They were in different bobsleds.)

    No, I don't think all single riders are "regulars." I am a "regular" visitor, and I have used Single Rider once in 20+ years.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

  13. #43

    • Go Bears!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Posts
    223

    Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

    I'm sure there are some non-AP families who use the single rider lines, but I'm equally sure that most do not...

  14. #44

    • I'm from Canada eh!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,099

    Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

    If it will save my family 30-80 min wait time, then we will ride single rider. Yes riding together is fun, but at the end of the day, the experiance is the same.

  15. #45

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    173

    Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

    Our family, and friends and families we sometimes travel with use the SR lines quite frequently, actually: if only a couple of us want to ride something like Screamin' while the others have an ice cream, if one or two of us gets up early, if part of our group wants to go catch something in Fantasyland while the others want another run on the Matterhorn. Or if we all really want to ride Soarin' but the line is really long, and it's not like we'll be talking or interacting with each other during that ride anyway...

    So, yeah, there may be a lot of AP single riders, but there are also plenty of non-AP families who use it to maximize their time in the parks & divide and conquer.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [News] CEO of HKDL:"we are not afraid of competition with Shanghai Disneyland"
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-15-2009, 08:55 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2007, 12:46 PM
  3. Single Rider: Awkward sharing a seat with strangers?
    By Pisces in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 08-18-2006, 02:52 PM
  4. What are the attractions with Single Rider Lines?
    By geekzapoppin in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-02-2006, 10:51 AM
  5. What's wrong with being single?
    By sunnygirl in forum Gibson Girls
    Replies: 442
    Last Post: 08-22-2005, 09:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •