Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

If a guest requests not to sit with a single-rider. The CM has the option of doing or not doing so. What is so different with this than requesting for a row you want to sit in? Which again, the cast member has the option of doing so or not doing so. It has nothing to do with slowing down the lines. So that is out of the question.

If a group doesn't want to ride next to a single rider. They won't. This is a simple solution that is being blown over-board.
    Last edited by Kritter; 07-16-2013 at 03:20 PM.

I rarely use the single rider line as I love sitting with my family/friends on all the rides, but I have no problem with it or having single riders sit next to me. I'm a very extroverted talkative person and I love to meet new people. I've actually made a couple friends thanks to the single rider line who I am still in contact with. Even had one of them join my party for the rest of the day since they were there alone. It's a great way to meet new people and make friends. I guess if you're more shy or introverted you may have a problem, but you're surrounded by strangers all day in the park... a lot in pretty close proximity anyway...

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

If you don't want to sit by a single rider, by all means ask. Just know they may have to sit by you. And all of this saying you don't have the right is silly, capacity be damned sometimes you want to have your own space. Hell, if Disney has to allow "comfort dogs" in the park, they should understand people's possibility of wanting to sit alone.

That being said, if they can't honor your request don't pitch a fit.

•   
    • Minion

I sure you can ask and whether or not they accomodate you probably depends on the day and lines. I have been on POTC where they put two separate groups of 2 people in the same row because it was super busy. It was me and my GF and then another two people. I think situations would dictate this request.

Having said that it doesn't really bother be if someone I don't know sits next to me. Happens all the time on the bus, BART(sf area), train, sporting events, concerts, amusement parks, the park, restaurants, pretty much anywhere in public. Not sure why anyone wouldn't be ok with it unless they have a legitimate illness that causes them issues in which case they would probably have a GAC card.

• Kingdom Comedian

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    If you don't want to sit by a single rider, by all means ask. Just know they may have to sit by you. And all of this saying you don't have the right is silly, capacity be damned sometimes you want to have your own space. Hell, if Disney has to allow "comfort dogs" in the park, they should understand people's possibility of wanting to sit alone.

That being said, if they can't honor your request don't pitch a fit.
    This!

I feel like the folks who are against this are picturing people EXPECTING to ride without a single rider as opposed to hoping. Am I wrong? Is it just the IDEA of asking to ride alone that makes you picture the asker as "entitled?"

• Minion

So, instead of having a single rider line, you are riding Splash with your family of 5. The person in front of you is a single. So, they are placed in row one, and your family is 2-6. Do you feel equally right in requesting the one person not ride with you?
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

I think as long as you ask BEFORE your party or a single rider boards and then do not argue with the CM if he/she does not accommodate you, you're fine. Its when you demand that no single rider be placed and raise a stink that you're being entitled. Other than that, you're simply stating a preference, such as asking for a specific row.

[QUOTE=KevRus;1057001051]It's not about "justice," it's about guest service. Guests' feelings do matter to Disney. No, single riders have not done anything wrong. The single rider line increases capacity, not efficiency, as far as I understand it. Disney simply wants to be able to post high capacity numbers in their attractions' statistics. High capacity numbers "look good" for amusement parks.

Single rider lines decrease the wait times in the stand-by lines. In a well-administered single-rider system, single riders fill in spaces that would otherwise go unoccupied, making single riders effectively "free" from the viewpoint of stand-by guests (i.e., the presence of single riders has no impact on the wait times associated with the stand-by line). When you remove the single-rider line option, some percentage of the single riders will move into the stand-by lines, increasing their length and, consequently, the wait times for everyone.

That said, I agree that the number of people asking not to ride with single riders is probably small enough that the impact is miniscule. As long as this remains the case I don't see any reason not to honor requests. My one concern is that guest often come to view favors as perquisites, especially when threads like this crop up.

• Go Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    So, instead of having a single rider line, you are riding Splash with your family of 5. The person in front of you is a single. So, they are placed in row one, and your family is 2-6. Do you feel equally right in requesting the one person not ride with you?
    Interesting question. I think in this case, the request would be "rephrased." Essentially, when Fastpass/Stand-By guests reach the end of the line, it is their turn to board. The single rider line is used to fill in the gaps. So no, I don't think in this case one has the right to board before that solo rider. But if I were extremely desperate for an on-ride photo on RSR or something, I might instead rephrase the request to "Can we get our own vehicle? We have 5" and then the CM could board the parties behind my group. I would board after the solo rider.

• Perfect Insanity

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I don't understand what people are concerned about. Have there been reports of people or kids being groped or followed or having improper suggestions made to them?

I'm not trying to criticize anyone and I know some people have social anxieties &/or fears. But how can you tell a 'creeper' just by looking at them? There have been some pretty evil people who have looked very nice & some very nice people who are somewhat creepy looking. And if you can 'just tell' by someone's 'vibe', then you are very lucky because I sure can't.

But if for some reason I felt the need, I guess I could see quietly asking the CM if I could wait for the next ride vehicle if for some reason I felt uncomfortable about the person already seated by the empty space,
    See we have had this happen to one of my son's. My oldest at the time was about 11-12. It was Thunder Mtn (which yes I know not a ride with SR). Its usually my boys and I together. Sometimes we sit one alone and 2 together depending on the wait. This day we sat that way and some man decided to just jump in next to my son. I was lucky enough to catch the CM by the train to let her know what was going on so I could get my son out of there. I had a bad feeling about this guy cause who does that? Who jumps next to whoever on Thunder when they aren't part of that group? So we had my son sit with us cause they didn't tell that guy to get out. Anyway, I'm glad I was able to get him out of that cause my son told me how the guy started telling him how if he got scared he can hold his hand and stuff. Sorry but that was a bad situation right there. When the ride ended he was gone as quick as he could before I could point him out to a CM. So for me if I get a bad feeling about someone that is a SR that ends up with my family I would ask to wait for the next car if possible. If the CM made the SR wait then that is their decision though but I would give up the time and wait longer myself with my family. We have done RSR with a single rider that sat next to my boys and was fine with it. So I wouldn't ask unless there was that feeling about someone and they gave off that creepy vibe. Thankfully that is the only time that has happened where I felt like that there but if I did again I'd get out of the situation. I honestly see no issue if any group wanted to sit with their family/friends on something like RSR. I think asking for it though for certain reasons would be a bit much like a picture since other rides you will have others in pics no matter what so what is the point? Mind you I have done SR myself on some rides and wouldn't be offended if I had to wait cause a group didn't want a SR. But then again I look at it as you are in SR and the line is alot shorter so waiting a bit longer won't really bother me cause the wait is still going to be shorter then those in stand by.
    Princess Anna

Mom To
    Video Game Player-Noah (6/5/98)
    &
    Baseball Player, All Stars Basketball Player & All Net Champ -Kaleb (3/8/02)
    &
    Ballerina Princess Skylar (9/21/06)
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

etsy.com/shop/FantasyFunTutus

I know this answer doesn't fall in the correct "area" because its on a different coast. But I went to WDW by myself on Saturday night. At about a quarter to 9, Test Track at Epcot had at least a 40 minute wait for stand by. I didn't want to wait that long so I opted for the single rider line which had a 10 minute wait. However, I practically walked right on. There was no one in the single rider line (which combines with Fast Pass Return) and I walked right up to the loading area. I wanted the front row, and the female CM wanted to place me in the first section, in the front row. At the time, there was a family of 4 waiting for their car, two parents in the back, and two young girls in the front. To avoid the awkwardness and making any of them uncomfortable, I opted to wait for the next car, despite being "planned" for that particular car. I don't think the family minded, let alone noticed. And it all worked out. Because an entire family of 6 came up behind me and stuck together. So I ended up getting a car all to myself. If anyone wanted to ask or wondered why I was by myself when I came back to the loading area, I kinda wanted to say "We lost everyone else!"
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• #bringevilback

I'm not familiar with how test track loads, but why did they not have you wait until the next uneven part rode instead of giving you your own car? That's completely opposite of the purpose of SR, as you decreased the hourly ride capacity (and made those waiting in the 40 minute stand by line wait longer, even if just a few seconds). I understand feeling like you iChat make them uncomfortable sitting by the two young girls, but why not hop into the back with the parents, or wait until the next hole?

I went where they placed me, and they probably didn't expect me to not get on. They didn't force the issue or weren't paying attention. And I wanted the front, so that's why I didn't sit in the back.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    I went where they placed me, and they probably didn't expect me to not get on. They didn't force the issue or weren't paying attention. And I wanted the front, so that's why I didn't sit in the back.
    I don't know about WDW but here, as an SR, you do not have a choice for where you want to sit. You go where they tell you. Is there not a CM where you load checking your seatbelt?

Stories like yours make people who don't like the system think it isn't working.

• A Weather Eye Open

The whole idea is to fill every seat. The goal for the CMs and the park management is to hit the hourly capacity targets. It may seem like a difference of a few seconds to us as individual riders, but with about 1500 people standing in an hour long line, it makes a big difference!

Even rides without single rider, people don't want to sit next to strangers. I repeatedly have to ask some people to make room for me when boarding the train! There will be 4-5 feet of gaps between each party, and when I have already watched 3 trains go by and waited for 20 minutes to board, some basic courtesy from my fellow passengers to make room for me and my sis is not too much to ask.

But when it comes to single rider, it's all about options. The single rider line doesn't make the standby GO any faster. But it does increase the overall experience of visiting the park. It increases the number of big ticket attractions that people can visit. It provides an alternative to FP for those who aren't going to "do" an hour long wait. And since RSR opened with a hugely promoted single rider line, more people than ever are aware of this option and looking to use it at all the rides! When it comes to "pleasing" their guests, the DLR must be getting so much MORE positive feedback about people discovering and enjoying single rider (and probably asking why this-and-that favorite ride doesn't have it) and getting more out of their day than they are about people complaining about sitting next to strangers (which someone in your party will have to do anyway unless your party is the exact number that fits in the ONE ride you choose to the ride).

And here is how the single rider line DOES help the crowds and standby wait, mathematically. Suppose you have a must-do new ride that seats 12 people in each vehicle and sends in 3 vehicles in every minute. They are able to send 2,160 people through an hour if they fill EVERY seat. But due to weird party sizes, say they can only finagle an average of 10 people into each car. That means the standby line (with no FP at this ride) is only moving at a rate of 1800 people per hour.
    Now add a single rider line. In one hour, those average two extra seats can allow 360 more people to ride. Say the standby line wait for this popular ride is currently posted at 60 minutes (meaning 1800 people are standing in line). The Single Rider line is always going to level itself out to be a lot shorter than standby, or else people wouldn't use it, so it usually hovers around 20 minutes long, 120 people in line at once, but people are going to use it all day so it is still going to send through those 360 in the same time that the 1800 standby people go through. How would the standby wait be affected if there was no single rider? In a highly popular ride, all those 360 people would be making their way into the standby each hour. And with only an average of 10 people in each car, that raises the wait time to 72 minutes (they will post it at 75). What's another 12 minutes in your day? Maybe it's not a lot, but maybe it's the time it takes to ride Snow White, maybe it's missing half the parade, maybe it's watching 2 or 3 trains pass you by on the railroad. Some people will see 75 and maybe they will still ride, but wish they had another option. Adding single rider permanently lowers the overal standby wait and makes WISHES COME TRUE!

Too long, didn't read? Mathematically, having a well used single rider line benefits more than just the people in it, and Disney and the CMs KNOW it. With the popularity of single rider growing, they must be getting feedback out the yin yang in favor of its benefits. The CMs are probably not going to take requests that defeat its purpose and make it less effective.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast