Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

ORDDU: What I'd like to know is whether or not they'll let you sit next to the gorgeous hunk of your choice! Too many times have come and gone when I've spotted a gorgeous hunk sitting all alone on a ride and I always want to jump right into his ride vehicle to keep him company. Nobody really wants to be alone, after all; not when they can have a beautiful witch--like me--sitting next to them to keep them company...

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    I don't know about WDW but here, as an SR, you do not have a choice for where you want to sit. You go where they tell you. Is there not a CM where you load checking your seatbelt?

Stories like yours make people who don't like the system think it isn't working.
    The female CSM should have not tried to place an older guy to sit with a couple of adolescent girls. Granted, I would not have done anything because I am harmless. But that does not mean that neither the girls or the parents would've felt uncomfortable if I chose to sit with them as instructed. I made a judgement call to benefit them, not myself. And I am not ashamed of it and I would do it again if the situation ever repeated itself. I am sorry that what I did upsets anyone else. Normally when I use the SR I go where instructed, sit where I am told. But like I said, I made a judgement call that I felt was the right thing to do.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

•   

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    I made a judgement call that I felt was the right thing to do.
    Your feeling was incorrect. The car in which you were sitting alone was supposed to belong to the family of 6. You caused 6 seats to be wasted (yours in the first car, and the 5 empty ones in the second car). You delayed everyone who was in the Standby and FastPass queues. You also threw off the grouper's counting, which tends to result in additional drops in efficiency.

Each of these factors is just incremental when only one person does it. But if every Single Rider decided to make similar "judgement calls", the effects would build on each other exponentially and the queues would move at half their current speeds.

Your concern for the adolescent girls was well-meaning but misplaced. Their parents were in the car with them, and they had not asked to allow one of them to sit with the girls instead of a Single Rider. They were visiting a theme park, which means being in close physical proximity to thousands of strangers like you every hour.

Please just go where the grouper tells you to go. If you have requests or questions or concerns, ask the grouper. Preferably before getting your row assignment.

I think politely asking ANYTHING is allowed in any situation as long as one receives one's answer gracefully.

When I was at DL last and spent four days solo, I was saddened by my failure to have conversations with people in lines. To me it seems unnatural to spend an hour or more standing next to another human being without casual conversation. The SR line became a welcome option, not just because the line was short but because I didn't feel like such a loser during the long wait...

That is why I have trained the SERVICE dog to accompany me. He will comfort me if I have anxiety waiting in line alone. Then he can take me to Starbucks. But I find people are much nicer to me when Dobby is with me. So perhaps the service he provides is for them as well?
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    The female CSM should have not tried to place an older guy to sit with a couple of adolescent girls. Granted, I would not have done anything because I am harmless. But that does not mean that neither the girls or the parents would've felt uncomfortable if I chose to sit with them as instructed. I made a judgement call to benefit them, not myself. And I am not ashamed of it and I would do it again if the situation ever repeated itself. I am sorry that what I did upsets anyone else. Normally when I use the SR I go where instructed, sit where I am told. But like I said, I made a judgement call that I felt was the right thing to do.
    A more appropriate choice would have been to return to the single rider line, explain the situation, and ask for the next single rider spot.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    I think politely asking ANYTHING is allowed in any situation as long as one receives one's answer gracefully.

When I was at DL last and spent four days solo, I was saddened by my failure to have conversations with people in lines. To me it seems unnatural to spend an hour or more standing next to another human being without casual conversation. The SR line became a welcome option, not just because the line was short but because I didn't feel like such a loser during the long wait...

That is why I have trained the SERVICE dog to accompany me. He will comfort me if I have anxiety waiting in line alone. Then he can take me to Starbucks. But I find people are much nicer to me when Dobby is with me. So perhaps the service he provides is for them as well?
    I'm the exact opposite of this...I dread speaking to people in line and I get anxious if they try to start up conversations. It's not because I'm misanthropic but because I have a bit of anxiety and don't really like making small talk with strangers. Also because I'm introverted and when I'm on line I'm usually looking around and studying every single thing in the queue, or thinking things over.

So if you get someone who doesn't' want to talk, keep in mind that it isn't you and please don't be sad; they might be people like me.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

When I was at DL last and spent four days solo, I was saddened by my failure to have conversations with people in lines. To me it seems unnatural to spend an hour or more standing next to another human being without casual conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I'm the exact opposite of this...I dread speaking to people in line and I get anxious if they try to start up conversations. It's not because I'm misanthropic but because I have a bit of anxiety and don't really like making small talk with strangers. Also because I'm introverted and when I'm on line I'm usually looking around and studying every single thing in the queue, or thinking things over.
    And this is why when I am in a line I will say hello, make a small talk comment and see how others react. If they chat, awesome! If not, I'm good with that as well. I have plenty of introvert friends, so I understand what that is like although I am an almost extreme extrovert.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Minion

Are you comfortable with the crates they have at the rides for the service pups? We won't use them as they are accessible to everyone passing by. We use rider swap.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CMinParadise View Post
    Your feeling was incorrect. The car in which you were sitting alone was supposed to belong to the family of 6. You caused 6 seats to be wasted (yours in the first car, and the 5 empty ones in the second car). You delayed everyone who was in the Standby and FastPass queues. You also threw off the grouper's counting, which tends to result in additional drops in efficiency.

Each of these factors is just incremental when only one person does it. But if every Single Rider decided to make similar "judgement calls", the effects would build on each other exponentially and the queues would move at half their current speeds.

Your concern for the adolescent girls was well-meaning but misplaced. Their parents were in the car with them, and they had not asked to allow one of them to sit with the girls instead of a Single Rider. They were visiting a theme park, which means being in close physical proximity to thousands of strangers like you every hour.

Please just go where the grouper tells you to go. If you have requests or questions or concerns, ask the grouper. Preferably before getting your row assignment.
    Take it easy...

First off, there are no 'incorrect' feelings or judgment calls; stitchfanocala did what he felt was appropriate and neither you nor I can judge his decision. With that being said, I agree (mind you, I'm not saying it's 'correct', just agreeing) with his call for a couple reasons.

For one, as a father of four, two of which are small girls, I would not want them to have to sit next to strangers in close quarters for the duration of a ride like Test Track--not because I'm a judgmental person or anything like that, just because I don't want them to feel uncomfortable sitting next to a stranger (I want them to have fun and be silly and all that while on the ride). For that reason, I would have them sit with me rather than in a back row with an empty seat, but whatever, that family made that call so that's their deal. IF for some reason we were in that seating arrangement, I know the girls probably would've been more comfortable having that extra seat to themselves and I wouldn't have to worry about them feeling awkward around a stranger. So I would've appreciated stitchfanocala's call (even though I wouldn't have created that situation in the first place).

Now, I know about the capacity issue but look at the story--it's closing time at Epcot with noooo other single riders in line. So what harm did stitchfanocala really do by letting the seat go by? Yes, it was a 'waste' of six seats, but without the single rider line in use, there were going to be a ton of empty seats going by that night anyway, what would surely amount to more than six. Also, standby lines are always faster-moving at night, because Fastpass gets shut down at close, meaning after park closing time the standby line literally doesn't stop moving. Furthermore, the park was closed--what time did those waiting in standby really waste when that one almost-empty car rode by? It's not like they were going to miss the fireworks or a Fastpass reservation, they were going to stay in the park an extra 15 seconds.

I think that when looking at it from stitchfanocala's perspective, and that family's perspective, the gravity of the situation took precedent to the ride's capacity. Granted, it was probably not a big deal to those people, but what if it had been? I think that it was smart to weigh the options and be considerate (something we see less and less of at the parks these days) even if it meant sacrificing a vehicle. I think your response was harsh and unfair.

That being said, I wouldn't request to go without a single rider since I like to use it and would feel awkward and probably super self-conscious if someone specifically asked not to sit with me hahaha. I'm always conscious of the people I'm sitting next to when riding singles and make sure to be polite and quiet yet cool so as not to be awkward. And since I appreciate sitting next to welcoming people when I'm a single rider, I always make sure to do the same.

I am thinking that in the instance of an adult who is taking a bunch of kids and trying to get everyone on the ride - and perhaps one child is seated alone just because of numbers - I think it would be okay to ask that he/she be able to ride alone simply for their protection. Or the adult should place themselves in the odd seat.

Another thing is some people are very new to the line/ride experience of the park. When they get to the front of the line - there is seldom much time to "assess" the situation and decide what is a good order to go in. Some queues may prevent a newby from determining the type of ride vehicle there is until the very last moment. I think we need to be understanding of those people as well. They will get the hang of it.

I'm the exact same way as you, it makes me uncomfortable to stand in line in such close proximity to someone else, and not make any sort of conversation with them. I never go to the park alone, but even though I'm with friends we make conversations with the people we are next to. When you're standing next to someone for an hour or more it's akward and weird not to. Plus, it's a great way to make new friends. I couldn't imagine being so introverted you're afraid/anxious/shy to talk to someone you don't know, humans are social creatures, so it feels natural to me to just stike up a conversation with anyone. Made a few friends that I'm still in contact with (and even go to the park with) by making conversations in lines. Everyone was a stranger to you at one point, how else can you make friends if you don't talk to anyone?

•   

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    First off, there are no 'incorrect' feelings or judgment calls; stitchfanocala did what he felt was appropriate and neither you nor I can judge his decision.
    So in other words........my feeling on this matter is incorrect?

I would have them sit with me rather than in a back row with an empty seat, but whatever, that family made that call so that's their deal.
    Exactly. That was their deal.

Now, I know about the capacity issue but look at the story--it's closing time at Epcot with noooo other single riders in line. So what harm did stitchfanocala really do by letting the seat go by? Yes, it was a 'waste' of six seats, but without the single rider line in use, there were going to be a ton of empty seats going by that night anyway, what would surely amount to more than six. Also, standby lines are always faster-moving at night, because Fastpass gets shut down at close, meaning after park closing time the standby line literally doesn't stop moving. Furthermore, the park was closed--what time did those waiting in standby really waste when that one almost-empty car rode by? It's not like they were going to miss the fireworks or a Fastpass reservation, they were going to stay in the park an extra 15 seconds.
    Like I said, I'm not talking about one person doing it. I'm talking about what would happen if everyone decided to disregard the grouper's instructions.

Granted, it was probably not a big deal to those people, but what if it had been?
    Then they could have communicated their concerns to the cast members.

I think that it was smart to weigh the options and be considerate (something we see less and less of at the parks these days) even if it meant sacrificing a vehicle.
    Being considerate to one party at everyone else's inadvertent expense isn't something to encourage.

I think your response was harsh and unfair.
    Perhaps. Then again, as a cast member, I have thousands of hours of experience with this sort of behavior and its effects. I apologize if I worded my feelings too strongly.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Serendie View Post
    I'm the exact same way as you, it makes me uncomfortable to stand in line in such close proximity to someone else, and not make any sort of conversation with them. I never go to the park alone, but even though I'm with friends we make conversations with the people we are next to. When you're standing next to someone for an hour or more it's akward and weird not to. Plus, it's a great way to make new friends. I couldn't imagine being so introverted you're afraid/anxious/shy to talk to someone you don't know, humans are social creatures, so it feels natural to me to just stike up a conversation with anyone. Made a few friends that I'm still in contact with (and even go to the park with) by making conversations in lines. Everyone was a stranger to you at one point, how else can you make friends if you don't talk to anyone?
    Well, for me, I'm not at the park to make friends, I am there to enjoy myself. A lot of us are introverted and don't like small talk - where extroverts get energized by it, introverts can get really drained. It isn't weird; it is what it is; different strokes for different folks and all.
    Last edited by Malina; 07-19-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Well, for me, I'm not at the park to make friends, I am there to enjoy myself. A lot of us are introverted and don't like small talk - where extroverts get energized by it, introverts can get really drained. It isn't weird; it is what it is; different strokes for different folks and all.
    I meant no offense and I don't mean any with this post, we're all different, but to me it's weird, just because I'm the exact oppposite. I'm not judging anyone or anything, so don't think that. It's just kind of hard for me to understand. And I don't go to the park with the goal in mind to make friends, because as I mentioned, I'm already usually with a large group of friends. But it just sort of happens, but I still enjoy myself there too.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast