Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

double post, sorry

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Serendie View Post
    I meant no offense and I don't mean any with this post, we're all different, but to me it's weird, just because I'm the exact oppposite. I'm not judging anyone or anything, so don't think that. It's just kind of hard for me to understand. And I don't go to the park with the goal in mind to make friends, because as I mentioned, I'm already usually with a large group of friends. But it just sort of happens, but I still enjoy myself there too.
    Oh no, I didn't take it that way. No worries. From this side of the fence, it would be weird for me TO talk to others in the line and I wouldn't understand why anyone would want to do it. That's definitely not a judgment on that at all. I think we all have different ways of processing things and perceiving our world, and this is probably one of the places that's apparent. As long as we are all there to enjoy the park and are kind to each other, it's all good.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Oh no, I didn't take it that way. No worries. From this side of the fence, it would be weird for me TO talk to others in the line and I wouldn't understand why anyone would want to do it. That's definitely not a judgment on that at all. I think we all have different ways of processing things and perceiving our world, and this is probably one of the places that's apparent. As long as we are all there to enjoy the park and are kind to each other, it's all good.
    Totally agreed there!

And because curiousity gets the best of me, was that article supposed to be a bit of a satire/tongue in cheek sort of thing? Just cause it painted extroverts in an extremely negative light lol. Calling us unintelligent and always trying to be the center of attention and impressing people. I just like talking to people, I don't strive to be the center of attention or anything like that. Just curiousity.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Serendie View Post
    Totally agreed there!

And because curiousity gets the best of me, was that article supposed to be a bit of a satire/tongue in cheek sort of thing? Just cause it painted extroverts in an extremely negative light lol. Calling us unintelligent and always trying to be the center of attention and impressing people. I just like talking to people, I don't strive to be the center of attention or anything like that. Just curiousity.
    I think it was tongue in cheek and somewhat satirical when it was talking about extroverts barking or wanting to be the center of attention - but everything it said about introverts is 100% true. I think the author was trying to bring up the fact that a lot of extroverts really don't understand that the other perspective is there. They like to talk and interact and don't always understand that others might actually enjoy the silence. If you get me on my own I'm very outgoing and fun; if you see me in a group I'm the one keeping to herself and not talking, and that's just because I'm totally drained and overwhelmed.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tamiele View Post
    I am thinking that in the instance of an adult who is taking a bunch of kids and trying to get everyone on the ride - and perhaps one child is seated alone just because of numbers - I think it would be okay to ask that he/she be able to ride alone simply for their protection. Or the adult should place themselves in the odd seat.
    I agree with this. I personally would feel uncomfortable having a child sit alone with an adult I didn't know. For one thing, if that kid acts up, there's nobody to make them stop acting up - and it shouldn't be a complete stranger's job to discipline or watch a kid that isn't theirs. Second, you just never know, so I think as an adult I'd have the kids sit together and take the odd seat out. Or I would quietly ask if the kid could possibly sit alone, or perhaps with another child riding single.

• No Disassemble!

I have a 6 year old daughter and as such she often needs to sit in the middle of most of the ride vehicles per safety rules. There have been times when I have looked at the person next to us and flat out told the CM "we're not sitting with him/her". I remember one unusual incident where the grouper placed a 5'7'' tall woman who was making aggressive involuntary punching movements (I assumed Palsy but I'm not a medical professional) so I flagged the grouper again and he brought the woman back to her group and gave them a vehicle to themselves.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

We too have a 6 year as well and as you say, some rides require her to be in the middle. We politely ask to be grouped alone and usually have no trouble with it. I truly think the how you ask plays into if it's honored, and we have never had a trouble with it being honored even on very busy days. Politeness and a smile go a long way, especially when the request isn't really that difficult to accommodate.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Closed Account

To me, it's no different asking not to be placed with a single rider, then it is asking for specific rows or seats. Disneyland CM's have always been accommodating about that. Like for us it's row three on Pirates, not the first row on It's A Small World, and the second and third row for Winnie The Pooh even though there are only two of us. If they don't want you to reject single riders, then they shouldn't accommodate other seating requests. Disneyland is very tolerant about that though, and I think they always will be, because to them it's about making the best overall guest experience with the least amount of complaints to City Hall.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Disneyland doesn't shout out "hey single rider they don't want to sit with you". If a specific party doesn't want to sit with a single rider, they just say "can we have our own car" and the CM accommodates it, without ever even talking to the single rider. Most people won't mind sitting with a single rider, but there are people who for whatever reason don't want to be seated with a single rider, that is their choice not Disneyland's. At the same time, it shouldn't hold up the line, like our seating requests don't, we let other people go ahead of us, and wait for what we know we need.

• Former Churro Jockey

As a sometimes single rider, I can tell you that I can't think of any ride where I would be standing close enough to the main line to hear someone request not to be placed with a single rider, so as long as you're not looking and pointing at me and gesturing that you don't want me sitting next to you / your wife / your kid etc. I'll never know. So I'd say just politely ask, and understand that it is just a request, so be prepared for the possibility that they will say no.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wall to Wall Creep View Post
    This is kind of out in left field... but it seems like the SRL would be a great way to meet women?
    It's also a great place to meet some creepy guys. I haven't yet met a guy that I didn't find a bit... creepy. I haven't YET met one that was nice. Though I did meet a nice, slightly drunk guy at the Iron Man exhibit.

This is not to say there aren't nice guys in the SRL, just as a infrequent user of the single rider line I haven't met one YET.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Well, for me, I'm not at the park to make friends, I am there to enjoy myself. A lot of us are introverted and don't like small talk - where extroverts get energized by it, introverts can get really drained. It isn't weird; it is what it is; different strokes for different folks and all.
    I'm introvert too and while I can make small talk I prefer spending those minutes silently. I will talk to anyone that talks to me though. (Then I duck back to a quiet place for a bit and have some silence.)

The SRL has only made me REALLY uncomfortable on one occasion. We were on GSS with my two cousins (the girls were 6 & 9 at that time). One wanted to ride with me and the other was okay by herself. I saw a guy (with his kids) in the SRL next and I took the odd seat and forced my cousins upfront. It wasn't that he looked creepy or was a man, it was just sitting next to my nine year old cousin would've made me uncomfortable. If there had been no other option I would've asked that the SR not be placed with us.

As an introvert I don't like SR with me but I can deal with it fine. The only time it REALLY bugged me was on Screamin', she insisted on screaming the ENTIRE ride. She got me ticked off. Teenage girls are on my no-ride list if it's possible.
    The more people I meet the more I like animals. -Unknown

•   

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyDogMom View Post
    ...on Screamin', she insisted on screaming the ENTIRE ride. She got me ticked off.
    You know, it's not called California Sittin' Quietly.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456