Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Go Bears!

Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

It's a question that I've always wondered, and have never asked...simply because I am very much a big proponent of single rider lines! But I recently spoke to a family who disliked being placed with single riders because their young-ish kids enjoyed rotating who gets to "ride by themselves" (they are an odd-numbered group), but many attractions don't let them.

Admittedly, being placed with a single rider is always a bit awk. Heck, even being a single rider is a bit awkward, but at least if you're the single rider you expect that/prepare for that.

I'm curious if anyone has ever tried this! Please don't attack me - just an honest question I'm curious about. I'm sure lots of people who don't know any better must complain about it all the time, right?

•   
    • Minion

Re: Is (politely!) asking not to be placed with a single rider ever allowed?

As I recall, at Toy Story when they had single rider, they used to ask the person if they minded being paired with a SR. I've never seen it done anywhere else, though; they just group.

There was one time I was sent to sit with someone else on Space Mountain - no single rider line there; they just paired me up with someone in an odd-numbered group. I hung back and asked to wait for the next train because the person honestly made me uncomfortable. There was something about them that made my skin crawl and I didn't want to be next to them for ten seconds, much less a whole ride. The CM didn't seem to mind that.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• SORCERER

I believe Disney is against this act as it would make the single rider feel bullied or discouraged. Think about it, the CM goes and tells you to sit next to a person, and then that person says they don't want you sitting next to them, the dramatics of it sound ridiculous, especially if your the one stating you don't want that person sitting next to you as it holding up the whole line.

When you go on a plane it is not your choice who you sit next to unless you buy two tickets.

These lines have to be loaded fast and quick to keep times down. I don't believe Disney wants to circumvent additional time for stubbornness, unless there is a medical reason why they cant have someone sitting next to them.

Everyone is there to enjoy the day, and if you cant deal with sitting next to a person you don't know for 2 to 3 mins than Disneyland as a single rider may not be the place for you. (Unless you have a medical condition that states otherwise)

• The doctor is in

I'm sure if you request it the CM will most likely let you ride without placing a single rider next to you. It probably just depends on the CM and how long the lines are.

I don't mind sitting next to single riders as long as they don't ruin the ride. I rode RSR once and they sat me next to a single rider and the guy talked through the entire ride. I would have hopped back in line but that isn't really a ride you can turn around and ride again in a short time.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Cunning infiltrator

I'm a single rider and I don't ruin people's experiences, I prefer to be quiet and respectful. Though, I wish those other 'single riders' behave better.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

• #bringevilback

As a frequent single rider, the only awkward ones I find are Goofy's sky school and Splash, both of which can be tight spaces, and on GSS, you get tossed around, into the other person a lot. The one time I went on it SR was closed but they still stuck me next to another person who was rather large (and i'm not small either). I was very uncomfortable the whole time and if I were to go on it again I would request to not have a SR with me.

I think if you ask in advance, it's fine, but refusing after they send someone over could be awkward.

Edit: I can see them asking for TSMM because you play on the same screen so the SR could easily take all the high score targets, affecting the other's ride, especially since moans who use SR are frequent visitors and probably better than the first time rider

• Go Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    I believe Disney is against this act as it would make the single rider feel bullied or discouraged. Think about it, the CM goes and tells you to sit next to a person, and then that person says they don't want you sitting next to them, the dramatics of it sound ridiculous, especially if your the one stating you don't want that person sitting next to you as it holding up the whole line.
    Well the single rider wouldn't need to know, right? If you are an odd-numbered group, you could quickly say how many you have in your group and then quickly ask not to be placed with a single rider. Sort of the same deal as when people ask for specific rows on rides ("How many?" "Two - but can we please take the front?" ya know?)

When you go on a plane it is not your choice who you sit next to unless you buy two tickets.
    I suppose...but this is Disneyland we're talking about, a place geared toward kids. This family's kids like to "ride by themselves." I never really thought about this but found their comments regarding single rider interesting, and to be honest I see where they're coming from. The "kids" always have to sit together to avoid sitting alone next to a stranger, leaving the adults stuck with single riders (guests who are getting a significantly lesser wait) for their entire visit to the parks. Sure, they're adults and they should just deal with it. But on certain rides being in different rows really does "isolate" you. I, frankly, hate it when I visit the parks with an odd-numbered group because of single rider placement And again, I use single rider fairly often. I guess I just am of the opinion that stand-by/fastpass guests should have total priority and should be allowed to say "hey, sorry, I don't want you to ride with me - wait another 5 minutes."

These lines have to be loaded fast and quick to keep times down. I don't believe Disney wants to circumvent additional time for stubbornness, unless there is a medical reason why they cant have someone sitting next to them

Everyone is there to enjoy the day, and if you cant deal with sitting next to a person you don't know for 2 to 3 mins than Disneyland as a single rider may not be the place for you. (Unless you have a medical condition that states otherwise)
    I see where you're coming from regarding rapid loading being an issue, but I imagine most people have no problems with sitting with single riders, so it probably isn't really an issue. But again, I have to disagree with your "looking down" on people who don't want to sit next to a stranger for 2-3 minutes, because I don't think that is at all what the "problem" is. I think families simply want to experience attractions together, and single riders can make it difficult for that to be possible if there are little ones in the mix who probably don't want to sit next to 34-year-old MiceChatter who uses the single rider line for Screamin' every week.

EDIT: Rereading my last sentence, I just want to make it clear that was not directed specifically toward you! Hope that's clear. Just making a self-deprecating joke regarding us fans.

• Minion

The majority of rides where there are single riders are group rides. On Splash, Matterhorn, Indy, Grizzly, and Soarin', I don't see how having a single rider really affects someone. I can understand on Screamin' and GSS. I was NOT a fan of single rider for Toy Story. Not due to scores, that would be the last thing on my mind, but it is a more intimate setting.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Closed Account

I have never asked not to be with a single rider before, but I have seen people ask this. On Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, and Radiator Springs Racers, Disney was very cooperative with it. People say they want the photo to have "just their family" and you can't blame them for not wanting only their family in an expensive Disney photo.
    Last edited by johnlawwhiskey; 07-14-2013 at 04:21 PM.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

We have done that before and never had trouble with them not putting a SR with us. When asked how many we tell them and make the request then. I think it is perfectly acceptable to make the request. And like previous posters have said, some rides it can be more that a little awkward (like Goofy's sky school).
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    I have never asked not to be with a single rider before, but I have seen people ask this. On Space Mountain,
    Space Mountain doesn't have a single rider line, unless they have added it recently.

GSS would be very uncomfortable, unless they are given their own row.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Space Mountain doesn't have a single rider line, unless they have added it recently.

GSS would be very uncomfortable, unless they are given their own row.
    Yeah, I totally didn't proofread, meant to say Indy. I'd blame the pain meds, but I'm sure it's more than that, lol.

@ Malina
    I wouldn't want to sit with a creeper on a dark ride either!

• The doctor is in

Sitting with a single rider on a ride like Indiana Jones is no different than two groups of two sitting next to each other, imo. Either way someone is sitting next to a person they don't know.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by KevRus View Post
    I recently spoke to a family who disliked being placed with single riders because their young-ish kids enjoyed rotating who gets to "ride by themselves"
    Their choices are as follows:

1) If they don't like being paired with another rider they can exit the ride and not ride.

2) Mom or Dad could change places with the kid so at least the kid doesn't have to ride with a stranger.

3) They could come back at a later time when there are fewer people and therefore many open seats available.

4) They could pony up a few million dollars and build their own ride someplace where they can ride all by themselves all they like. Michael Jackson did this in fact.

I find it so irritating how self absorbed some people are in these situations. What if EVERYONE refused to have someone sitting next to them? The lines would be twice as long!

I would certainly hope that if it was during a busy time the CM would deny the person that type of request. If it was a slow time of day, I don't even think it would be a problem because they would have already seated the person without a single rider anyway.
    Last edited by USS Seawolf; 07-14-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast