Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is RSR Slow?

Re: Is RSR Slow?

I don't want anyone getting the wrong impression, I would never want it to become a ride that someone upchucks on, but I guess it begs the question of how thrilling can something be before its no longer deemed a family ride?

On a side note, I think SM being in the dark makes it a bit more exciting because when you can't see where you're going it adds thrill. On to of that, SM doesn't emphasize a race so there isn't as much as an expectation IMO.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Omegadiz View Post
    Last week I took my fist trip to Disneyland since the 50th. I don't have much of a trip report, but something that hit me was Radiator Springs Racers. I know it uses TestTrack tech and I know that TT is a really fun and fast ride. So when I get on RSR, the dark ride portion was beautiful. Then came the climax where we're about to race for a photo finish and.....it was kind if boring. I felt like it was a really slow almost not exciting ride. Is it supposed to be slow or did I catch it on an off day? I can't imagine the heard of people in the morning clamoring to get a fast pass for a non heartpumping ride like that. Maybe it's just the freshness of it?
    Nobody has ever reported the speed of RSR varying from day to day so it must be your TT experience providing a contrast. I've never been on TT and after RSR thought I must not have been missing anything, but maybe not (although it's an interesting point somebody made about RSR's slower twisty layout vs. TT's speedier straightaways because I will take Matterhorn's slower twistiness over SM's straight-turn-straight-turn layout any day).

The one ride that consistently surprises me vis-a-vis expected speed is Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, considering its age and the speed of the other dark rides around it.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Well its slow because of what kind of vehicle it is and how the track is laid out......so even if its as fast as Space it wont feel even half that fast because its not a coaster

• Foolish Mortal

I think it is a good speed personally. As someone who sometimes gets a little queazy on rides with quick drops and stuff, RSR doesn't affect me all that much. Sometimes the second hump (before the banked left hander) does make me a tad uneasy, but it goes away rather quickly.

Sounds like I'm in the minority, but I thought it was much faster than I expected after watching the cars go by. My whole family, from age 3.5 to 56, loved the speed!

• Minion FOREVER!

Been on TT and RSR, TT feels slightly faster, but love the experience on RSR 1000% more.

I've also been on HP FJ and although the effects are amazing, it also makes me sick (therefore although my family rode >5 times using the single rider line, I've ridden on it only twice).

I wish the race was a bit longer. I felt like once the race got going it was over.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    I do not understand where you get that Indiana Jones goes less than 15mph, even when they opened it, it was touted as a maximum speed of 22mph in the papers and promotional materials.
    This might be because when Indy first opened, it was a lot rougher and wilder than it is now. It has been toned down considerably since then because people were getting jostled around too much.

Anyway, yes RSR is slower than Test Track. I was kind of disappointed too because when an attraction has "racers" in the title you kind of expect some speed. However, the only way to achieve Test Track speed is to create a crazy long amount of track, which is fine if you have the luxury of space, as Epcot does(seriously, how many DCAs could you fit inside Epcot, like 20? ). If RSR was faster, you'd burn up the track in no time at all, which would most likely lead to even more disappointment. So I think they decided that this was just the right speed to give you a little bit of thrill yet still give you some time out there on the track.

• Foolish Mortal

what is HP FJ?

Quote Originally Posted by moregumboplease View Post
    what is HP FJ?
    Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey

• Minion

When I first got on, I felt like it was a little too slow. However, during my latest trip, with my expectations substantially lowered, I was pleasantly surprised by the end. I think it's all about your expectations. Same thing where if you go to Knott's and ride the Xcelerator a day before you ride Screamin, Screamin is going to seem lame.

And besides that, I think while Test Track's point is to go really fast, RSR is more about the turns and bunny hops, which give you a pretty good amount of "airtime" (or at least some butterflies). I used to be critical of RSR's speed, but in the last trip I found it to be plenty exciting for what it is.

• Banned User

Well I certainly agree compared to TT it feels a bit slower but the right enough speed IMO. Would I like it to to go 5-10 mph faster, sure. But same time one of the great things about it is you really get to appreciate the environment. Its not all just completely whizzing by. And the bank turns make it a lot of fun regardless.

BUT, maybe its just me, it feels a bit faster at night. Its probably in my head but it feels a bit more faster and fun. But for some reason all the thrill rides are more fun at night. I would say ride it at night in general if you can. Just a better experience overall.

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post

I do not understand where you get that Indiana Jones goes less than 15mph, even when they opened it, it was touted as a maximum speed of 22mph in the papers and promotional materials.
    Here ya go: Disney After Dark: Indiana Jones Adventure - YouTube
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Go on an outside and fast attraction/ride now than experience it in the winter or when it's cold. You may not be going any faster, but in the cold it feels like you're going faster. Spacer Mountain now makes you feel like you're going fast, but when winter hits and it's colder outside than it is in Space Mountain. You will feel like you're going slower.

I liked it better than Test Track because of the curves and hills.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast