Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is RSR Slow?

Is RSR Slow?

Last week I took my fist trip to Disneyland since the 50th. I don't have much of a trip report, but something that hit me was Radiator Springs Racers. I know it uses TestTrack tech and I know that TT is a really fun and fast ride. So when I get on RSR, the dark ride portion was beautiful. Then came the climax where we're about to race for a photo finish and.....it was kind if boring. I felt like it was a really slow almost not exciting ride. Is it supposed to be slow or did I catch it on an off day? I can't imagine the heard of people in the morning clamoring to get a fast pass for a non heartpumping ride like that. Maybe it's just the freshness of it?

• Selfie Expert

Re: Is RSR Slow?

It's not as fast as I expected, but I think it's the combination of a really popular movie, newness, a really great dark ride portion, the amazing scenery, and that it's a faster family ride (compared to others) that's it's major draw. It's definitely not a "thrill ride", but I don't think that was it's purpose.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

I suppose. I definitely do love the first half of the ride. Maybe I was just expecting a little more kick to it. Still a nice experience in the end.

• Seasick

I find the finale is a bit slower than the other two rides in the family (Test Track and Journey to the Center of the Earth.

It was a bit disappointing the first time I rode, but once I was used to it being a bit slower I didn't mind it so much on subsequent rides.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

I also was surprised of how slow the race part of the attraction actually is. The sound effects of the engine roaring definitely makes it seem like the cars are going faster then they really are.

• The doctor is in

I expected it to be faster, but at the same time it's not like you're inching along at 10mph. It's a decent speed. Enough to make a hat fly off your head.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsofColor View Post
    I also was surprised of how slow the race part of the attraction actually is. The sound effects of the engine roaring definitely makes it seem like the cars are going faster then they really are.

in my opinion the the window bars need to be little more lower so i can see better.

I'll take RSR's 45mph with tight turns and acceleration and airtime over TT's 65mph on gentle curves and straights.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• No Disassemble!

I feel like the speed is perfect for the exaggerated banked turns but agree that the straights aren't as thrilling as they could be.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Closed Account

Actually, when compared to other Disneyland rides, it's faster than you might think, it's not the slowest or the fastest, but it beats out Space!
    Radiator Springs Racers maximum speed 40mph
    Space Mountain maximum speed 32mph
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad maximum speed 30mph
    California Screamin' maximum speed 65mph
    Goofy's Sky School maximum speed 27mph
    Indiana Jones maximum speed 22mph
    Matterhorn maximum speed 27mph

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    Actually, when compared to other Disneyland rides, it's faster than you might think, it's not the slowest or the fastest, but it beats out Space!
    Radiator Springs Racers maximum speed 40mph
    Space Mountain maximum speed 32mph
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad maximum speed 30mph
    California Screamin' maximum speed 65mph
    Goofy's Sky School maximum speed 27mph
    Indiana Jones maximum speed 22mph
    Matterhorn maximum speed 27mph
    Those numbers are not entirely accurate. California Screamin' only goes 55mph. Indiana Jones less than 15.

To answer the question is RSR slow? Yes, yes it is. However speed is somewhat not the problem as an airplane goes in excess of 500mph and is not thrilling. RSR is not thrilling, I really enjoyed the attraction but yes it is slow for the track it is on. The acceleration isn't quick at all, I definitely thought it would be at least a little thrilling.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Those numbers are not entirely accurate. California Screamin' only goes 55mph. Indiana Jones less than 15.
    I quoted the numbers from the Disney Wiki (I know it's not maintained by Disney). Disneyland no longer lists speed on their website or in their ride guide (they used to). I did check Ultimate Coaster this morning, and see that California Screamin' does differ, as do the following:
    Space Mountain 30.2
    Big Thunder Mountain 28mph
    California Screamin' 55mph
    Goofy's Sky School 27mph
    Matterhorn 18mph

I do not understand where you get that Indiana Jones goes less than 15mph, even when they opened it, it was touted as a maximum speed of 22mph in the papers and promotional materials.

This brings me back full circle to the fact that Disneyland updates their website (again) and they don't include the speed of their roller coasters (like used to be there years ago). You would be hard pressed to find another theme park that does not list the speeds of the roller coasters on the website. Instead, Disneyland focuses on the "story" of the rides on their website, which is very "cute" but doesn't give you much of what to expect from a ride as a newcomer.

Either way, RSR does reach 40mph, which is faster than Space Mountain. I would call that "fast" by my own ranking.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Sure it isn't that fast, but I think that adds to the charm of the ride and the over all experiance. I rode Harry Potter in IA this spring and while it was an amazing, thrilling ride, it actually made me sick. More people could ride RSR and acctually enjoy the experiance and not worry.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    More people could ride RSR and acctually enjoy the experiance and not worry.
    This is it exactly. As much as people want Disney to do thrill rides that are exhilarating when it comes right down to it, Disneyland is about family rides. Radiator Springs Racers is a ride that you can take a five year old or a fifty year old on and they won't lose their lunch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast