Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: What the Cars Land back Side wrap means to DCA expansion!

My guess would be that it looks a little cheesy and carnival-esque and they want to make it look more like the grand theme park that it is and less like a county fair. It's probably more to improve their image than anything else.

• the rum is always gone

There is nothing to expand to back there. There is only a small amount of room between the rock work and the Katella Ave hotels. The rock work ends at Luigi's and the plot of land to the east of Luigi's is where the expansion (if any) would occur. I also doubt Disney would build the expansion area only to have guests look at rock tarps. On the expansion pad it would be very easy to use trees or a show building to hide the back of the rock work.

I seriously think the OP is jumping the gun here and is reading way too much into the backside or the rock work being covered with tarps.

It has been clearly established that first comes the Hollywood Backlot re-do, then sometime in the distant future, the expansion happens.

• Circle of Ancients

Not sure how the back of Cars Land looks any different than it did in January 2012 (as seen during the Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon).

Name:  DSC00299-L.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  165.1 KB

EDIT: Nevermind. Hadn't looked at the update and just the first picture in this thread. You may continue.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by notlemc View Post
    There is nothing to expand to back there. There is only a small amount of room between the rock work and the Katella Ave hotels. The rock work ends at Luigi's and the plot of land to the east of Luigi's is where the expansion (if any) would occur. I also doubt Disney would build the expansion area only to have guests look at rock tarps. On the expansion pad it would be very easy to use trees or a show building to hide the back of the rock work.

I seriously think the OP is jumping the gun here and is reading way too much into the backside or the rock work being covered with tarps.

It has been clearly established that first comes the Hollywood Backlot re-do, then sometime in the distant future, the expansion happens.
    its 5 acres they can surely make a mini land or an e-ticket there after they're done with the Hollywood land renovation!

• Singing Drinker

They *could* be doing it for future expansions, sure.

The general look and quality level they're putting up looks much more akin to the Indy building covering they put up a bit after it opened though. My money's on cosmetic concerns from neighbors or possibly Anaheim. There's just not enough room to put a "land" wrapped around back there unless they buy out a LOT of very profitable businesses.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    They *could* be doing it for future expansions, sure.

The general look and quality level they're putting up looks much more akin to the Indy building covering they put up a bit after it opened though. My money's on cosmetic concerns from neighbors or possibly Anaheim. There's just not enough room to put a "land" wrapped around back there unless they buy out a LOT of very profitable businesses.
    How about an e-ticket then?

• Singing Drinker

I think it's doing what they need it to do right now - providing an access road around the back side of the parks.

Anything they tried to put in the border between current park boundaries and the road would have some major obstacles to overcome - nearby tenants whose business can NOT be impinged upon in any way, possible civic codes and planning boards that would need to be satisfied as the ride encroached on Katella, and it'd be an interesting task to get a ride horned into that sliver that didn't suffer for the attempt to shove it in.

If you want to be REALLY optimistic, sure. I still think it's just there for beautification for the neighbors.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    One word is "funds"
    And this is why these parks are no longer Disney...because Walt would no allow this kinda cheap over site

• Mickey icecream sammiches

I think you're reading WAY too much into this, dude. Believe me, I'd love for them to expand and add another ride or whatever, and I hope they do. But I'm pretty damn sure they're putting those scrims up strictly for aesthetic purposes. Why it took them a year to do it is beyond me, but those scrims wouldn't cut it if they were expanding back there.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    Covering a back side to a ride after only a year of its opening is a big deal
    Not really. They are probably hiding it for the D23 expo that will be right across the street.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I think it's doing what they need it to do right now - providing an access road around the back side of the parks.

Anything they tried to put in the border between current park boundaries and the road would have some major obstacles to overcome - nearby tenants whose business can NOT be impinged upon in any way, possible civic codes and planning boards that would need to be satisfied as the ride encroached on Katella, and it'd be an interesting task to get a ride horned into that sliver that didn't suffer for the attempt to shove it in.

If you want to be REALLY optimistic, sure. I still think it's just there for beautification for the neighbors.
    They can sure add a dark ride to that area that won't affect the neighbors on Katella don't you think? Look at the map and see fellas.

• Still lost in Neverland

My thought is that the motels that have backed right up close to DCA are asking for this. Looking out a window onto that unfinished back area was not very pretty and really made DCA look bad. Whatever the reason why can't everybody stop degrading this poster with rude comments and negative responses. He is only asking for what you think about it. He is fairly new to Mice Chat and is probably a very exited Disneyland Resort fan and just wants to learn more.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Selfie Expert

I agree that it's likely cosmetic at the requet of local businesses of the city, but here's to hoping it's for a much more exciting reason like a new land or ride!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Banned User

Op I agree with others you probably reading too much into it. And how does decorating the back of an area that is just backstage a sign expansion is coming?? I have no idea how thats connected.

Just sounds like they want to improve it a bit to look good on the outside. Although the word 'better' is a strong word.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    My thought is that the motels that have backed right up close to DCA are asking for this. Looking out a window onto that unfinished back area was not very pretty and really made DCA look bad. Whatever the reason why can't everybody stop degrading this poster with rude comments and negative responses. He is only asking for what you think about it. He is fairly new to Mice Chat and is probably a very exited Disneyland Resort fan and just wants to learn more.
    Thank you very much!

and for the OP I was just askin for your thoughts
    Last edited by DCAfanatic; 07-15-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast