Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Star Tours to be Updated Again in 2015 to Add New Destinations For Episode 7

I think the development team will try and take timelines into account. The Imagineers weren't originally going to have AT-ATs in the current ride, instead planning a Hoth segment based around Wampas and Tauntauns. Lucas gave them an excuse for Hoth that actually clicks with some EU material that there was an earlier battle at Hoth between the Empire and Rebels and the Alliance returned to Hoth figuring the Empire wouldn't expect them to return.

The Empire banned Podracing, but it's not like the Hutts on Tatooine would give a crap about the law. Could be argued that the droids on Naboo was just some Imperial outsourcing considering all those tax dollars spent on building the Death Star could probably be cutting into money that could have been spent sent sending Troopers and Imperials to the system.

Really, the only current destination that doesn't fit is the random space battle around Coruscant unless there's some "Clone Wars Recreationists Society" that somehow exists during Imperial time.

As long as George's "Screw timelines, this is Disneyland" mindset that lead to all the Disney easter eggs doesn't seep into new movie scenes, we'll be fine.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• -

Re: Star Tours to be Updated Again in 2015 to Add New Destinations For Episode 7

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    The ride is a prequel to the first ride...but now will feature future locations....wow Disneyland really is magical
    It may be the locations, but in e same time period as the ride. Presumably the planets didn't just suddenly come into creation when Episode VII takes place. It would be feasible to travel to them in the Star Tours era.
    Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I'll be honest - I'd be happier if they just made something a little more... distinctive?

I've been on the "new" ST about four or five times. I can't for the life of me tell you where we were supposed to go or really what happened there, and was mainly annoyed and confused over the entire "agent" thing.

Maybe this is due to not being a fan of anything past Jedi. But honestly, if they're going to have different things going on, I'd hope they're a little more distinctive and less "Here'sareferenceyouaren'tasuperfantoobadwhoopsit' sgone!"
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist or a superfan to figure out what's going on during the ride. All one has to do is watch the preshow video and pay attention.

C3PO goes onboard to do some diagnostics before the flight. The ship ends up taking off while he is still there. As they leave the port they are stopped by Imperials who are looking for a spy. The ship makes an emergency jump to hyperspace to get away which takes you to your first destination.

Leaving the first destination you receive a transmission from someone explaining about the spy and giving you the coordinates of your final destination. You then go to the last destination to drop off the spy.

What's so hard to figure out?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Singing Drinker

Why you're bothering in the first place, why it's so important that there's a spy on board, how there's suddenly a "Rebel Spy" who's amazingly able to look like a modern tourist, why you're routing through eight billion random locations to get to an amazingly limited number of destinations, etc.

The flexibility they put in requires a much more thorough grounding in the canon than I have to even care let alone follow.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Why you're bothering in the first place, why it's so important that there's a spy on board, how there's suddenly a "Rebel Spy" who's amazingly able to look like a modern tourist, why you're routing through eight billion random locations to get to an amazingly limited number of destinations, etc.

The flexibility they put in requires a much more thorough grounding in the canon than I have to even care let alone follow.
    Originally the Imagineers wanted to have the spy be the one carrying the Death Star plans, but then they learned how that story's been done several times in the EU and just made it a random Rebel Spy.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Why not? The wait times are already back to 20-30 minutes.
    It just doesn't make sense to spend more money to update a ride Disney just updated a few years ago. Imagine all the money they'll be spending if they decide to update the ride every few years to coincide with the new Star Wars movies. It just seems like a huge waste of money and time to concentrate updating one ride that honestly doesn't need much attention at all right now. Disney should be spending that money on something else like updating/maintaining other attractions or creating new ones.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Originally the Imagineers wanted to have the spy be the one carrying the Death Star plans, but then they learned how that story's been done several times in the EU and just made it a random Rebel Spy.
    *shrug* Fair enough. ST's been on my "used to be great, now I let others ride it while I go do other things" list ever since the redo. I just can't be motivated for another motion simulator around a property that I'm not tracking.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Singing Drinker

I think I've nailed down my disappointment with new ST.

With Indy, there are three "different" paths as well as a multitude of vocal cues layered over what is very much a static experience otherwise. Somehow they managed to take this VERY limited framework and give it such a feeling that I STILL have Disney fan friends who will go to the mat swearing that there's a different entry track here or a new set of effects that only go off there or a story bit that happens if you listen really closely.

ST's... less compelling. The same discussions don't happen, and I think it might be in part because it's a simulator and film. Just doesn't engage on the same level.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It may be the locations, but in e same time period as the ride. Presumably the planets didn't just suddenly come into creation when Episode VII takes place. It would be feasible to travel to them in the Star Tours era.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist or a superfan to figure out what's going on during the ride. All one has to do is watch the preshow video and pay attention.

C3PO goes onboard to do some diagnostics before the flight. The ship ends up taking off while he is still there. As they leave the port they are stopped by Imperials who are looking for a spy. The ship makes an emergency jump to hyperspace to get away which takes you to your first destination.

Leaving the first destination you receive a transmission from someone explaining about the spy and giving you the coordinates of your final destination. You then go to the last destination to drop off the spy.

What's so hard to figure out?
    Ohhh I'm sure they'll put NEW characters from the movies in there....where it will make no sense...just wait and see

Heck even now the Gungan General that helps you threw Naboo is...well dead according to the clone wars series

• Minion

I couldn't care less if this were true or not. I'm not interested in more Star Wars in Tomorrowland, but it's not going to kill me if they add more locations. Whatever, I guess.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Heck even now the Gungan General that helps you threw Naboo is...well dead according to the clone wars series
    Nope, according to Wookiepedia, the gungan who helps lead you through the planet's core is an unidentified gungan bongo pilot and not the general who was killed by General Grievous in Star Wars the Clone Wars.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unide...ot_(Star_Tours)

• Banned User

COOL!!!

Love the new ST! More destinations even better! Im guessing they will keep all or most of whats there now adding to the rotation giving people even more experiences. Cant wait if this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    COOL!!!

Love the new ST! More destinations even better! Im guessing they will keep all or most of whats there now adding to the rotation giving people even more experiences. Cant wait if this is true.
    Finally some Star Tours love!

I love the new Star Tours as much as I loved the old one, and would love to see new destinations. As for all this canon stuff; throw it out and enjoy the ride! This is a theme park ride not a movie, and I enjoy seeing different parts of the Star Wars universe other than the same trip to Endor.

If your concerned about botched canon; look at Snow White's Scary Adventure, or the Eddie Valiant less Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin, or the ad-libs on the Jungle Cruise, or the abridged Peter Pan's Flight, or the multiple changes to Space Mountain over the years, or the dinosaurs visible from the Disneyland Railroad! Canon has never been a concern in theme parks because the park itself is the canon, Star Tours does not need to bear a perfect relation to the Star Wars canon!

I won't feel as compelled to experience the new-new version as I was to see it after it had been completely revamped. Unless they guarantee a new segment in each trip you could wait through a long line and still see nothing new.

•   
    • Minion

I say go for it How hard can it be to add new sections to the attraction. For all we know the new movies will take place in already mentioned or seen planets anyways. There are plenty they didn't even use in the new ST.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Disney is smart to modify Star Tours again in 2015 in order to add Star Wars 7 sequences. Apparently, Disney, by George, meant for the adventure to continue in more ways than one! What a celebration it will be on the 60th!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast