Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Star Tours to be Updated Again in 2015 to Add New Destinations For Episode 7

I would love some new destinations. The last time I was there, we rode 3 times, and got the exact same combination 3 times.

• Minion

Re: Star Tours to be Updated Again in 2015 to Add New Destinations For Episode 7

Quote Originally Posted by xboxtravis7992 View Post
    Finally some Star Tours love!

I love the new Star Tours as much as I loved the old one, and would love to see new destinations. As for all this canon stuff; throw it out and enjoy the ride! This is a theme park ride not a movie, and I enjoy seeing different parts of the Star Wars universe other than the same trip to Endor.

If your concerned about botched canon; look at Snow White's Scary Adventure, or the Eddie Valiant less Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin, or the ad-libs on the Jungle Cruise, or the abridged Peter Pan's Flight, or the multiple changes to Space Mountain over the years, or the dinosaurs visible from the Disneyland Railroad! Canon has never been a concern in theme parks because the park itself is the canon, Star Tours does not need to bear a perfect relation to the Star Wars canon!
    Star Tours should have some cohesion with the timelines though if it's trying to be an Episode 3.5. It's one of those Disney attractions that's all about immersion and breaking the timeline in big ways messes with that immersion and takes you out of that world and just makes it a ride. I'm fine with the multiple destinations as the idea is trying to give you your own Star Wars adventure rather then a static one, but it's got to have some plausibility.

The Fantasyland style dark rides are different in that they've always been simplified versions of their films brought down to their minimum elements. As for Roger Rabbit, a sequel comic about Judge Doom coming back to life shows that reviving dead cartoons can be done as long as you've got some cels and a multiplane camera, so that's an explanation for returning weasels.

The Disneyland Railroad's already traveling through time and space considering you go through a 1900s Midwestern town, an Indian Jungle in the 1930s, New Orleans, a late 1800s frontier boomtown, an enchanted village and a city of the future so Dinosaurs aren't that much of a stretch.

Space Mountain's established as being one of many space stations considering that mural and queue details so the old one's probably around in some implied space.

And the Jungle Cruise, for which the goofy tone is set in the queue just as much as the time period is, is right next to the Temple of the Forbidden Eye and is directly benefitting from those tourists, so it's not much of a stretch to imagine skippers with the sense not to look in Mara's eyes going into the Chamber of Future Knowledge and getting a little loopy in response to what they see. And as we know from Merlin, Genie and Brave's witch, Magic and wacky anachronistic jokes/seeing past the fourth wall go hand in hand.

You're doing Disney parks a great disservice if you aren't overthinking things.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Kingdom Comedian

Timelines are not headed in Disneyland.

Just go to the Jedi Academy. You'll Darth Maul and Darth Vader fighting side by side. Even though Maul died when Vader was a kid...oh...uh "spoiler?"

Not to mention the Pirates of the Caribbean...

With "Captian" Jack Sparrow there and (again, spoilers) Barbossa, Davy Jones, and Blackbeard are all still alive...there's no place it could fit in before, between, or after the movies.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by timbabbcomedian View Post
    Just go to the Jedi Academy. You'll Darth Maul and Darth Vader fighting side by side. Even though Maul died when Vader was a kid...oh...uh "spoiler?"

In Star Wars the Clone Wars, Darth Maul was rehabilitated by Mother Talzin
    Darth Maul - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki
    Last edited by frollofan; 07-17-2013 at 07:20 AM.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by xboxtravis7992 View Post
    This is a theme park ride not a movie, and I enjoy seeing different parts of the Star Wars universe other than the same trip to Endor.
    This is my feel of it. I'd love more scenes, it gives it more re-rideability for me.

As far as how likely it is to occur... my guess is it won't be until after the next trilogy (has it been confirmed to be a trilogy? I'm just guessing, here) unless it's something that can be a relative inexpensive addition. I doubt they'd do a complete redo this close to the most recent one.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    You're doing Disney parks a great disservice if you aren't overthinking things.
    I go to Disneyland because I'm sick of overthinking in the real world! lol

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

[QUOTE=KiMcHeEfOrLiFe;1057000647]Hmm, I can't imagine that they would update Star Tours already when they revamped the whole ride a few years ago. It seems a bit silly to add some new destinations from ONE movie, when two more movies are being planned after the first one. Will they be adding new destinations from those movies as well when those movies come out? It just doesn't seem like it makes much fiscal sense to be adding new destinations every time a new Star Wars movie comes out. It would make more sense to add new destinations after all three movies from the new trilogy comes out instead.[QUOTE]

the new ride seems designed to be able to mix n match new scenes into the existing ones...I'm surprised they hadn't announced regular upgrades to keep people coming...

I completely agree with Bearytrek- It seems that since they just mix and match scenes, that they could add scenes more regularly. I dunno how easy it would be to do but I may have a CM at the exit paying attention to what people say as they are getting off. Are there scenes people regularly like, dislike? maybe if you see a trend, you could then add/remove/edit scenes to keep people coming back regularly

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by bearytrek View Post
    the new ride seems designed to be able to mix n match new scenes into the existing ones...I'm surprised they hadn't announced regular upgrades to keep people coming...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbernard View Post
    I completely agree with Bearytrek- It seems that since they just mix and match scenes, that they could add scenes more regularly. I dunno how easy it would be to do but I may have a CM at the exit paying attention to what people say as they are getting off. Are there scenes people regularly like, dislike? maybe if you see a trend, you could then add/remove/edit scenes to keep people coming back regularly
    Oh yeah, I'm not completely disregarding the notion that it won't be done one day, I was just saying it doesn't make sense financially to do it for just one new Star Wars movie when supposedly multiple new movies will be coming out. Why waste money to design a new destination from one new movie for a ride that recently just got updated? Also, why not create new destinations all at the same time for the next Star Wars trilogy instead of doing them individually each time a new movie comes out? It just seems like a huge waste of time and money to design a new destination from one new Star Wars movie, animate the scene, set up the Starspeeder simulator, close the attraction to install the new scene, and then do it all again a few years later when ANOTHER new Star Wars movie comes out. It just makes more sense to do all that design work all at the same time for the next Star Wars trilogy and then install the new set of scenes just once.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Nope, according to Wookiepedia, the gungan who helps lead you through the planet's core is an unidentified gungan bongo pilot and not the general who was killed by General Grievous in Star Wars the Clone Wars.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unidentified_Gungan_Bongo_pilot_(Star_Tours)
    Hmmm maybe hes not the general...he just looks and sounds just like him

• Former Churro Jockey

Actually I think I disagree with everyone who says it does not make sense financially. It makes perfect sense financially, because Disney doesn't have to build a new ride, they just have to film new scenes. It's less expensive then building a brand new E-ticket, but it can be marketed as a new ride again. They might wait until 2018 when all of the new Star Wars movies are done, but I see this as a matter of when and not if.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Ooh, I hope they put Video screens in the doors, so we can have side view ports.
    That will make a cool effect.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    Oh yeah, I'm not completely disregarding the notion that it won't be done one day, I was just saying it doesn't make sense financially to do it for just one new Star Wars movie when supposedly multiple new movies will be coming out. Why waste money to design a new destination from one new movie for a ride that recently just got updated? Also, why not create new destinations all at the same time for the next Star Wars trilogy instead of doing them individually each time a new movie comes out? It just seems like a huge waste of time and money to design a new destination from one new Star Wars movie, animate the scene, set up the Starspeeder simulator, close the attraction to install the new scene, and then do it all again a few years later when ANOTHER new Star Wars movie comes out. It just makes more sense to do all that design work all at the same time for the next Star Wars trilogy and then install the new set of scenes just once.
    Yep animating a minute long cgi scene when youre a multinational companmy that owns industrial light n magic, it would ruin them financially. They could potentially add a new scene at the release of each new movie. Sounds like fairly good promotion.

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
    Ooh, I hope they put Video screens in the doors, so we can have side view ports.
    That would be so awesome!

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Actually I think I disagree with everyone who says it does not make sense financially. It makes perfect sense financially, because Disney doesn't have to build a new ride, they just have to film new scenes. It's less expensive then building a brand new E-ticket, but it can be marketed as a new ride again. They might wait until 2018 when all of the new Star Wars movies are done, but I see this as a matter of when and not if.
    Yes, that's exactly what we're saying. Why update a ride for just one Star Wars movie? Why not update it in 2018 when you have a trio of Star Wars movies and just update it all at once? The ride is still popular and still commanding about 30-40 min waits. Making a new scene each time a new movie comes out is going to cost more money than waiting until a new trilogy comes out and then updating the ride. We're not saying we are against the idea of updating the ride. We're just saying we don't think Disney is actually going to add new scenes in 2015, but rather we think it is more likely to happen when the three new Star Wars movies comes out and the ride is not as popular again and needs an update to attract people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogermeyers View Post
    Yep animating a minute long cgi scene when youre a multinational companmy that owns industrial light n magic, it would ruin them financially. They could potentially add a new scene at the release of each new movie. Sounds like fairly good promotion.
    Just because you have lots of money doesn't mean you should recklessly spend it. A smart business doesn't needlessly spend money when it doesn't have to.

Also, while releasing new scenes each time a new movie comes out would be a good promotion, it will also have diminishing returns. People will be less excited about an update when they expect it to come out each time a new movie comes out. An update will be much more exciting and will generate much more buzz if each update is spread out versus having an update every year (or whenever those other Star Wars movie will be released).

Take the 24 hour Disneyland promotion as an example. Back in 2012, Disney decided to open Disneyland for 24 hours for one special day. People got super excited since it was something Disney has never done before and as a result, total chaos at Disneyland ensued. Because Disney realized the idea of opening Disneyland for 24 hours was such a popular idea, they decided to do it again this year. While people were excited that Disney was going to open Disneyland for 24 hours again, they weren't as excited because it's been done before. As a result, it wasn't as popular as it was back in 2012. I'd imagine if Disney ever decides to open Disneyland 24 hours again, people will be less and less excited each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
    Ohh, I like this idea! That would be super cool!
    Last edited by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe; 07-17-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast