View Poll Results: Re-Imagineered Features U Would Like Added To 5 Fantasyland Dark Rides

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • New Generation Animatronics (w/ talking & singing capacity)

36 70.59%
  • Trackless Technology, New Floor Layouts and Pathways

20 39.22%
  • Holographic Effects

14 27.45%
  • Interactive Guest Name Recognition Chips

1 1.96%
  • State of the Art Fiber Optics

19 37.25%
  • Stereo Quad Sound Effects

21 41.18%
  • Digital CG Animated Imagery (perhaps 3-D &/or Color Reacting Mouse Ears)

5 9.80%
  • Newly Designed Vehicles, Facades, & New Story Sets/Rooms

18 35.29%
  • All The Above....GO AHEAD, MAKE MY DISNEY DAY!!!

8 15.69%
  • Just add A Few Hidden Mickey's And Watch Me Grin From Ear To Ear

9 17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: How Would You Re-Imagineer The Five Fantasyland Dark Rides?

I'd like to see upgraded animatronics of course. Also upgraded and more subtle lighting. Like how you rarely see lights, ceiling and infrastructure in pirates.

I love the toad relocation idea. The same could be done for Peter Pan as instead since it too is a very popular dark ride with a ton of potential. Plus it would be a perfect place to make an old london sub land in the future to include the mary poppins dark ride I've been begging for.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    I'm really torn about this. While the OP suggests some really great things that can be done to update the attractions, my fear is that even the slightest change may ruin what makes these rides special. I don't know.... honestly I think that any "upgrade" will actually have the opposite effect.
    I'm with you. I'm not wild about the painted flat characters in Toad but if you want a "better" dark ride experience go on Roger Rabbit which doesn't have any.

I'm much more in favor of spending money and installing new tech in a *new* ride rather than redoing the classics that are, inarguably, still very popular as is.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

I'm really torn about this. While the OP suggests some really great things that can be done to update the attractions, my fear is that even the slightest change may ruin what makes these rides special. I don't know.... honestly I think that any "upgrade" will actually have the opposite effect.
    I agree. It's a fine line to walk between genuinely improving the ride and greatly diminishing the nostalgia and charm of it.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

It's a natural side-effect of redoing these attractions. Widening the queues to be ADA compliant alone would ruin the quaint and compact feel. I also have little faith in Imagineering to capture the old-school feeling. New digital technology is an entirely different art form and will not give off the same vibe, especially when the emphasis will be to dumb everything down for a 3 year old in today's corporate culture. I wouldn't even be surprised to see more gift shops.

The best thing they can do is enhance lighting, special effects, and perhaps replace some of the plywood with high quality animatronics. Changing the ride system, remodeling the queue, or layout will be the end of these classics as we know them.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

1) Gut Toon Town.....

2) Build a land devoted to the Streets of London.....

3) In addition to a new Mary Poppins attraction, move Peter Pan and Mr. Toad there.....all 3 should be E-ticket attractions in the same vain as Pirates and/or Mansion.

4) A Tangled attraction could be the replacement for the old Peter Pan space and Beauty and the Beast could be represented where Toad once was.

5) The rest should get new ride systems and enhanced lighting etc.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Toad - move and rebuild as described above
    Alice - make into a trackless ride along the lines of tokyo Disney Hunny hunt
    peter pan - update the animatronics and effects, keep the ride system as it is
    snow white - new ride vehicles and updated special effects and animatronics
    pinocciho - replace with a new ride based on a classic movie - I'd love to see a beauty and the beast dark ride

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    It's a natural side-effect of redoing these attractions. Widening the queues to be ADA compliant alone would ruin the quaint and compact feel. I also have little faith in Imagineering to capture the old-school feeling. New digital technology is an entirely different art form and will not give off the same vibe, especially when the emphasis will be to dumb everything down for a 3 year old in today's corporate culture. I wouldn't even be surprised to see more gift shops.

The best thing they can do is enhance lighting, special effects, and perhaps replace some of the plywood with high quality animatronics. Changing the ride system, remodeling the queue, or layout will be the end of these classics as we know them.
    Yep. I wonder if people ever realize how much of Disneyland's genius is its small scale. They keep asking for bigger and bigger, and they don't notice that size often has a detrimental effect.

For instance, people asking for the trackless technology. The trackless vehicles are huge. There simply isn't a way to make room for them and have a ride layout that is of any considerable length. You complain about how short the rides are now, but asking for larger vehicles will only shorten the ride further.

The original imagineers were brilliant in making the Fantasyland rides feel spacious and substantial in as little space as possible, using tricks that have become a lost art in modern dark rides: constant turns, sound effects, darkness, black light, painting, proximity and perspective, storytelling pace, creative staging, efficient layout....

Or consider this, the single Monsters Inc dark ride at California Adventure takes the same space as the whole building on the right side of Fantasyland. A building where the original Imagineers were able to squeeze in Peter Pan, Mr. Toad and Alice -- and every single one of those is better than the Monsters Inc ride.

• -

I would improve Alice by playing the Beatles "I am the Walrus".
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    1) Gut Toon Town.....

2) Build a land devoted to the Streets of London.....

3) In addition to a new Mary Poppins attraction, move Peter Pan and Mr. Toad there.....all 3 should be E-ticket attractions in the same vain as Pirates and/or Mansion.

4) A Tangled attraction could be the replacement for the old Peter Pan space and Beauty and the Beast could be represented where Toad once was.

5) The rest should get new ride systems and enhanced lighting etc.
    why do people dislike ToonTown? Oh, and you realize that your Streets of London will have to close down early every night for fireworks, right?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Omegadiz View Post
    why do people dislike ToonTown?
    Just because I can imagine something better than ToonTown(no big feat, trust me ) doesn't mean I dislike it.

Oh, and you realize that your Streets of London will have to close down early every night for fireworks, right?
    As does Toon Town.....are you suggesting nothing good should be built there because it may have to close early

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    As does Toon Town.....are you suggesting nothing good should be built there because it may have to close early

not at all! It's just, if you want to tote the land as having 3 "E ticket" attractions, it's kind of a disservice for them to have limited running time. RRCS is a c ticket and a fairly good one at that and I kinda song like it when I can't go and enjoy that attraction later in the day, so to have e tickets back there....do you see what I'm getting at? IM not trying to step on any toes, but that just comes to mind.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    As an ex-CM who used to operate the five dark rides and then some, the two, biggest things I'd like to see are new vehicles and new ride systems, especially for Alice. Alice faithfully breaks down everyday. I used to pray to God my leads wouldn't give me Alice because the evacuation process is annoying and tiresome. The ride system is so dang old and it causes the ride to break down on a daily basis. New ride systems, especially for Alice!

Nothing was more annoying than hearing the screeching sounds that came from the ride vehicles. Those poor things need to go and we need new ones. I wish they'd do something about Pan's landing. It's very bumpy and painful and I hated seeing guests bump and it something. I'd like state of the art technology and upgrades to the Pleasure Island scene in Pinocchio. That's really the only thing I'd change for Pinocchio. I'd love to see state of the art technology in each dark ride, honestly. Snow White is fine, for the most part. I'd like a better ending and the screeching on the wheels to stop. I'd like to see animatronics added for Toad, and get rid of some of the wooden, painted figures. How about new animatronics for all of them, while I'm thinking about it (most likely not going to happen)?

Although I would love for Alice to receive a different facade, I don't know how that would work, given the two-story structure. I'm sure they'd be able to figure something out, though that's probably not going to happen either. All the other facades are fine, though paint jobs would be great.
    I'm with you Jasminaray! Mary Jane....err, I mean Alice deserves and is curiously overdue new vehicles and ride systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    -Figure out a way to put a second row on Peter Pan.

-Update the Animatronics.
    Add a second row and Brittish rock 'n' roll!

Quote Originally Posted by Right Ear View Post
    I would move Pinocchio by the Matterhorn (it would be updated along the way), possibly add a Frozen dark ride and make that a mountain village area. In Pinocchio's place, add a Cinderella dark ride and retheme the Village Haus into a Gaston's tavern (different from WDW's version).
    A new Pineocchio ride could and should be added as it could easily fit in the wasted space inside Matterhorn mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Id love this...make Mr Toad into such a better ride...and with the room left from his old ride....make Peter Pan over a min and a half
    A bigger Toad and a longer Pan are two terrific ideas too cool to resist.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    Mr Toad's Wild Ride - would use animatronics and make everything three dimensional rather than flat. Would turn down the heat, just a little in hell, because in summer it is almost nauseating it's so hot.

Peter Pan - would make the ride longer, add a scene with the Lost Boys where you follow them into their underground treehouse, like the boat goes down into the treehouse, flies through a whole other scene. Would leave everything else the same.

Snow White's Scary Adventure - would give it a proper ending instead of a book that you have to read, a scene with the prince kissing Snow White of course, them going to their castle, celebrating surrounded by the dwarves, similar to the ending scene on Ariel, where you just see everything was happily ever after

Pinocchio's Daring Journey - would change the ride vehicles to look like Jimminy Cricket and the goal is to save Pinocchio. Would add an ending scene where Pinocchio is a real boy and is jumping up and down with Geppetto celebrating.

Alice - would love to see Alice be less "flat" looking and out of place, in other words, make everything else match the looks of her, or make new Alices all together. Also make the ride stop less in the unbirthday scene. Would also love to see them get rid of the tacky white lights in the roses in the painting scene.
    Love each of these ideas....more full demensiona Mr. Toad figures, better looking Alice's (and a non-stop Unbirthday Party), adding a scene w/ Pineocchio as a real boy, and all of the Snow white characters living happily ever after.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Omegadiz View Post
    not at all! It's just, if you want to tote the land as having 3 "E ticket" attractions, it's kind of a disservice for them to have limited running time. RRCS is a c ticket and a fairly good one at that and I kinda song like it when I can't go and enjoy that attraction later in the day, so to have e tickets back there....do you see what I'm getting at? IM not trying to step on any toes, but that just comes to mind.
    You make some fair points here.

•   
    • Minion

I would just want enhancements made to the current Dark rides. Moving them will only ruin the effect they all have on us currently. I love having them all right next to each other it's a special part of the park and would be ruined if they were moved IMO. It would feel empty to me if they moved Mr Toad to expand Peter Pan or somersetting like that. Id rather use some of the mentioned above expansion areas for new attractions.

I think upgrading these classic rides with animatronics is a terrible idea, as is moving them anywhere from their current locations. Leave these be. Why can't we let these rides retain their delightful nostalgia? Classic is better. There's plenty of other rides that can be changed. I'm ok for increasing capacity, making rides smoother, tinkering with the lighting, but that's pretty much it.

Think of these rides like antiques. The older they get, the more we'll love their nostalgic charms.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast