Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Evil is Sexy

Re: Why does Toad's ride end in hell?

I always assumed the whole ride was some kind of dream that started and ended in Toad Hall with all kinds of craziness inbetween.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    I am EXTREMELY old-school Disney, and even the "Night on Bald Mountain" scene in Fantasia ends with good triumphing over evil: Ave Maria and morning brings the end of Chernabog.
    Again, this would be boring if they copied the plot of every story. Mr. Toad is original, it is by definition its own personality in the theme park which provides variety. It's actually pretty funny that he goes to hell and that was the intent.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-16-2013 at 11:47 AM.

• We Want The Redhead

I've always likened it more to the original film.
    In the film, Toad's antics and questing for bigger and better thrills cause him to have a near death experience, after which he recovers only to pursue even bigger and more reckless thrills.
    In the Fantasyland attraction the same is true for the rider.
    You enter Toad's world, go on a crazed adventure to where you experience the near death experience (the explosion and brief visit to Hell) only to escape and once again begin your own quest for bigger and better.adventures on exiting.
    The ride doesn't end in Hell, it ends when you escape it and you return to Toad Hall.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

it ALWAYS has creeped me out xD
    To all who come to this Happy Place.... WELCOME șoș
    -ig: thelipsticklizz tw:lipsticklizz

• Singing Drinker

I've never really had a problem with it other than being suddenly blinded on certain weather days by my glasses instantly fogging over. Good thing I wasn't ACTUALLY driving.

Even as a kid I always kinda accepted it as "Toad does stupid things, keeps doing stupid things, is eventually punished for his transgressions by being sent to Hell". Given that I grew up on the book and the Disney version is pretty liberal with altering what's in their version, I never really considered it something out of place.

I'll take the fact that it's actually a self-contained storyline with start, conflict and resolution all easily laid out on the ride. Others - from modern design Little Mermaid is HORRIBLE about this - you really have to know the source material for there to be a real chance of getting the story.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Disney World's version kept the hell ending for both of the varied ride tracks as well, and that opened in 1971 after Walt had passed away. It was an artistic decision, and what people here haven't mentioned yet was that both Snow White and Mr. Toad at Disneyland were deliberate homages to the 'spookhouse' attraction as pioneered by Bill Tracey and others, while Peter Pan's Flight transcended it to be something new and more 'beautiful' rather than wacky or horror-based.

Snow White got the scary forest, the witch, the skeletons and the 'horror' trappings and Mr. Toad got the 'typical' dark ride gags like the falling crates, explosions, near-misses and the train tunnel gag was an established classic for years before Disneyland. A bit of the morbid humor with the rubber devils and Hell finale was included, as many dark rides/ghost trains/spookhouse rides included wildly divergent scenes: from a dungeon to a tropical jungle to a pirate scene and etc. These things were more firmly in the public knowledge in the 50's doubtless for those who attended amusement parks, and the scene was kept in when refurbished in 1983 doubtless because it was the premier element everyone talked about who rode Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, precisely because it was strange and quirky and unexpected (and to me, altogether charming).

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Snow White got the scary forest, the witch, the skeletons and the 'horror' trappings and Mr. Toad got the 'typical' dark ride gags like the falling crates, explosions, near-misses and the train tunnel gag was an established classic for years before Disneyland. A bit of the morbid humor with the rubber devils and Hell finale was included, as many dark rides/ghost trains/spookhouse rides included wildly divergent scenes: from a dungeon to a tropical jungle to a pirate scene and etc. These things were more firmly in the public knowledge in the 50's doubtless for those who attended amusement parks, and the scene was kept in when refurbished in 1983 doubtless because it was the premier element everyone talked about who rode Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, precisely because it was strange and quirky and unexpected (and to me, altogether charming).
    I came over to post this. Glad someone mentioned it. Toad is really just a classic dark ride with a Disney character plastered on top. That it's considered a classic today when other such ventures are not, is beyond me.

• Minion

I love that so many were clamoring that the ride ends in hell because imagineers were creative enough to go a different direction than what was established when apparently the fact is that they were doing what had been done for many years already.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I think its better because for first-timers it throws you off and teaches you to expect the unexpected at Disney. I rather like it because of its un-Disney ending.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Why does toad's ride end in hell?
    Why does IASW end in the kiddie U.N.?
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

•   
    • Minion

I personally think it's hilarious. You're in a ride with an anthropomorphic toad who is driving a car all over London...hey, why not have a hell scene? It is one of the reasons I love Toad's Wild Ride so much.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Banned User

The rumored "upgrading" of Fantasyland dark rides actually has me worried that the Politically correct imagineers are going to try and change the ending.

The modern Disney company has no respect for the artistic integrity of Walt era creatives.

i can only recall one time I saw a guest being offended by the Hell scene. They were in the car in front of me and as they got off, one of the mothers chewed out the Cast Member saying something to the effect about how horrible the ending was and how scary the Hell sequence was for children.
    Yet the kids with her didn't seem fazed at all.
    As a kid, this was my favorite ride after the carousel in Fantasyland. Still is.

• Blew By You

I've always enjoyed the hell finale on Mr. Toad and never felt it out of place. It ought to be hotter in there though. They turned down the temperature recently.

• ^_~.

Quote Originally Posted by dazyhill View Post
    i can only recall one time I saw a guest being offended by the Hell scene. They were in the car in front of me and as they got off, one of the mothers chewed out the Cast Member saying something to the effect about how horrible the ending was and how scary the Hell sequence was for children.
    Yet the kids with her didn't seem fazed at all.
    I worked in daycare for years, and it's always the parents complaining that their kid was irreparably damaged by the movie/book/game/craft project their children were exposed to. A lot of parents believe their little dumplings will be scarred for life if they experience anything that could be perceived as unpleasant or startling in any way. Seriously, kids are not nearly as bothered by these things as their parents think they should be. And I get that parents want to do everything they can to protect their kids. But it's this same insane overprotectiveness that's causing the dumbing down a lot of childrens' entertainment. There was even a warning on my "Old School Sesame Street" DVD set that the content "might not be suitable for today's youth." Yes, really.
    So I hope they never change the Hell scene. It's weird and unexpected, but it's fun, and it's part of the ride experience.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast