Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Lightspeed to Endor!

Re: Why does Toad's ride end in hell?

Hi There Everyone!

Here's the answer to the puzzling question. When planning Disneyland, Walt Disney and his fellow imagineers visited many different amusement park venues around the world so that they could be inspired, see what could be improved, and see what could be avoided.

One of the parks they visited was California's own Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Where their 'Haunted Castle' is today was a darkride entitled 'Dante's Inferno', which was just that, a darkride through hell based on 'The Divine Comedy'! Would you believe that you rode through hell in your very own motorcar? Well, we all know that Walt's film 'The Wind In The Willows' doesn't so much as mention hell at all. The imagineers enjoyed the dark ride so much that they decided to incorporate it in some way into Disneyland. They did so by making it the finale of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk would also inspire the Autopia (it's Autorama attraction was trackless as well), and it's Cave Train Adventures would also inspire the Fantasyland Dark Rides.

Name:  Dantes.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  107.7 KB

Dantes Inferno (1932-1933) was the first dark ride at the Boardwalk. Billed as "A Trip Through Hades," it featured six motor-driven cars that took riders through a dark cavern. Developed by Ed "Doc" Reicher, the ride would actually gross more on weekdays than the Giant Dipper roller coaster!
    Source: Dipper a Day | Monterey Bay Properties
    Last edited by 1313Imagination; 07-17-2013 at 11:13 PM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 1313Imagination View Post
    Hi There Everyone!

Here's the answer to the puzzling question. When planning Disneyland, Walt Disney and his fellow imagineers visited many different amusement park venues around the world so that they could be inspired, see what could be improved, and see what could be avoided.

One of the parks they visited was California's own Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Where their 'Haunted Castle' is today was a darkride entitled 'Dante's Inferno', which was just that, a darkride through hell based on 'The Divine Comedy'! Would you believe that you rode through hell in your very own motorcar? Well, we all know that Walt's film 'The Wind In The Willows' doesn't so much as mention hell at all. The imagineers enjoyed the dark ride so much that they decided to incorporate it in some way into Disneyland. They did so by making it the finale of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk would also inspire the Autopia (it's Autorama attraction was trackless as well), and it's Cave Train Adventures would also inspire the Fantasyland Dark Rides.

Source: Dipper a Day | Monterey Bay Properties
    In the source you linked to, I couldn't find any reference to Disneyland, Imagineers, Toad's Wild Ride, Autopia, or the Fantasyland dark rides.

Is there a historical source for your story that the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk was the inspiration for Disneyland's Autopia, the Fantasyland dark rides and the finale to Toad's Wild Ride?
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-17-2013 at 11:38 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Avid MC reader since 2005

I love Disney's Wind in the Willows and have always hated that they added a hell scene to the ride. I would be thrilled if they removed it but I know there is a small cult following of Toad's Wild Ride just because it has that scene.

The Peter Pan ride kept to its story and was done in a beautiful and magical way. Aside from IASW it is undoubtedly the most popular Fantasyland dark ride. I'm so glad they didn't decide to change the story or throw in a bunch of scary scenes that would completely change the tone of that ride.

Hes being punished for drunk driving. That is what I assumed. Take a ride on Peter Pan after to refresh your spirit.

It does seem that compared to the other Fantasyland Dark rides, Toad really takes a detour from the story it's based on.

My guess is that making a story around a selfish toad who gives it all away for a Motor Car, is put away in jail, escapes, and makes a mad dash to get back the Deed to his ancestral home, just didn't work.

Toad simply takes the joy of being able to take a car on a madcap dash to places and areas one could get arrested for doing.

I do have to wonder how the original riders must have felt when they went on it for the first time. One wonders if back then, families could have gotten upset at the ending.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MWH1980 View Post
    I do have to wonder how the original riders must have felt when they went on it for the first time. One wonders if back then, families could have gotten upset at the ending.
    Back in the day the emphasis on Satanism and the occult was not as great as it is today. It was no big deal for short cartoons or one-reelers to feature little devils in fiery infernos poking naughty characters with pitchforks when they went astray. It would have been looked at as a humorous reminder to "live a good life or the Devil will get'cha!" Now that we have experienced more evil done in the name of the occult we are more sensitive to these things.
    Last edited by Attic Haunt; 07-18-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: spelling corrections

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Minion

They should rename the ride "Go To Hell."

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    I love Disney's Wind in the Willows and have always hated that they added a hell scene to the ride. I would be thrilled if they removed it but I know there is a small cult following of Toad's Wild Ride just because it has that scene.

The Peter Pan ride kept to its story and was done in a beautiful and magical way. Aside from IASW it is undoubtedly the most popular Fantasyland dark ride. I'm so glad they didn't decide to change the story or throw in a bunch of scary scenes that would completely change the tone of that ride.
    That's the beauty of Mr Toad's Wild Ride, not everything should be cute or pleasant. Variety is one of the secret ingredients that can be attributed to Disneyland's success, it caters to all ages, not children. You may like cute story lines but I prefer scary, dark, mystery, and adult humor; that is what Mr. Toad and Snow White delivers.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-18-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    They should rename the ride "Go To Hell."
    Heh. I'd ride it.

Mr. Toad and its ending have always been a favourite of my family. The attraction was structured to be Toad's nightmare. And anyone really offended by a cartoon Hell should really put things in perspective. Hell, Hell is depicted for entertainment by churchs in Hell Houses across the country every year. Its a great ending to Toad's out of control dream.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

• Sock Puppet

I always thought it was great, it was scary and then the doors opened and you see you are in Disneyland!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

So I pulled up IMDB to take a look at the credits for The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad. While the work is noted for the whole film and not each segment, Animation Department credits include Mary Blair, Claude Coats, Marc Davis, John Hench, Ward Kimball and Bill Justice. I'm pretty sure Walt and the Imagineers that designed Mr. Toad's Wild Ride were well aware that the film they made only about five years prior did not have a hell sequence.

As has been stated, it shows that, unlike today, there was an awareness that different storytelling mediums require different approaches.

After my last trip to Disneyland I thought "ya know, I haven't watched Mr. Toad since I was too small to remember." and once it was over I thought "wow. Disney took that to a really dark place." Mr. Toad never goes dies OR goes to hell and isn't actually guilty of most of the crimes he's accused of.
    Would I change the ride to fit he movie?
    Never! As a kid, it scared me. As an adult I went "holy crap, we went to hell at the end!" It's definitely on my "must ride" list because it's a fun adventure. IMO, the movie is quite boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Yeah, Hell was never in the book so I have no idea why it's in the ride. On a side note, Guillermo Del Toro was working with Disney on adapting it in 2003 but had this happen:

It appalls me how out of touch Disney can be sometimes.
    This makes me so sad. I am very eagerly awaiting Guillermo Del Toro's Haunted Mansion. I really hope Disney doesn't try to "Hollywood up" the movie. Guillermo Del Toro is brilliant, I have loved every one of his movies that I wasn't too scared to see. lol

• Former Churro Jockey

Hey, what can I say, I like the ending. Maybe it's because I've never seen The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad. But Mr. Toad was always my favorite Fantasyland ride as a kid, and today, it's the only one I'll go on as an adult without kids. I believe the idea behind the ride is that this is yet another adventure that Mr. Toad has and it is not supposed to be taken from the movie but rather another story to tell in addition to the movie. Maybe it's a dream and maybe not. But it's fun.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Hey, what can I say, I like the ending. Maybe it's because I've never seen The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad. But Mr. Toad was always my favorite Fantasyland ride as a kid, and today, it's the only one I'll go on as an adult without kids. I believe the idea behind the ride is that this is yet another adventure that Mr. Toad has and it is not supposed to be taken from the movie but rather another story to tell in addition to the movie. Maybe it's a dream and maybe not. But it's fun.
    Well said! And as a side note, run, don't walk, to Amazon and grab a copy of The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad (you can get 'em used for $6)! Awesome character animation (including some jawdropping stuff from Ward Kimball)... color stylings & BGs from Mary Blair, John Hench and Claude Coats that are to die for... excellent music... great narration from Bing Crosby & Basil Rathbone... totally entertaining!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast