Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• former CM

Re: Why does Toad's ride end in hell?

Kind of scary--the people on Micechat.
    Our cars ALWAYS end up in the heaven room.

It's a camel-needle thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Can anyone tell me why Mr. Toad's Wild Ride has him in hell for the last scene of the ride? For years and years I have never understood why they did this, instead of just sticking with the story of the Wind in the Willows, or even any other spin off of the story. I just don't get why they end the ride with Toadie (or us as the riders), going to hell. Seems extremely un-Disneylike.
    Because Disney wants to prepare you for your night's sleep in their hellish beds

Joking aside, there are demons and devils in a lot of Disney stuff. And you can find some good Witches in Bednobs and Broomsticks. I always wanted a bed that could fly.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    . . . there are demons and devils in a lot of Disney stuff. And you can find some good Witches in Bednobs and Broomsticks. I always wanted a bed that could fly.
    Satanic Donald appears near the end of the 50th anniversary film, ready to kill the non-animated Steve Martin with fireworks.

During a special Micechat tour of Knott's Scary Farm we were informed that they avoid demonic images. Wimps. Then again, they do have a large Orange County audience.

Jesus used to be (or still is?) painted on a tiny church you passed on Storybookland & Casey Jr.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 07-23-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typo

• I'm a Lutheran

I'm Christian, but in no way do I find the ending offensive at all, and I hardly know any others who do.

The best part about Fantasyland are the dark rides and Small World by far. Back in the day, Snow White and Toad were both very edgy and risky, especially Snow White. Heck, in the 1971 Florida version, you get killed by the Witch; she drops a giant diamond on your head and sends you into a finale filled with strobe lights and star-bursts. That's FAR MORE riskier than sending riders to eternal punishment for the climax. Unless you abide by the usual Haunted Mansion theory of riders dying in the Stretching Room or dying by falling out the Attic window, this is the only Disney ride I'm aware of where riders die...

Although it can be assumed that riders die with Mr. Toad and go to hell. I doubt that's the case though, after all, riders do escape. As for Mr. Toad...well, who knows what happened to him. As for why he goes to hell, I'm not sure. If the weasels in Roger Rabbit go to Heaven and Toad doesn't, there's something wrong in the world.

Mr. Toad's finale is definitely the last of Disney's risky Fantasyland elements. Snow White may be a little scary, but nothing will compare to how edgy Toad's finale is.

Never knew that Jesus made an appearance on a tiny church. Would have been interesting to see. If it's still there, someone let me know. I know that a menorah appears on a windowsill on Main Street during the holidays, and that there's a cross somewhere in the park...I might be imagining things though, is there a cross anywhere in the park?
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Former Churro Jockey

Off topic, but during the candelighting ceremony they actually read from the Bible on Main St and they read a poem about how the life of Jesus has impacted the world more than any other single human life. It's very moving, but surprising in this day and age. As far as the larger idea of religious imagery appearing in the parks (even hell), Disney obviously keeps it to a minimum, but if it's thematically appropriate, then they apparently are willing to go with it from time to time. Obviously Hunchback of Notre Dame has tremendous religious imagery, and although the leader of the church is the villain, Esmerelda is seen appealing to the real God as opposed to the fake one that Frollo presents (in her song God Help the Outcast). I guess because it's an old story and it's been done enough that people are familiar with it no one really cared, and I assume the same is true with the cartoon hell that Mr. Toad goes to. That depiction of hell with the little devils with the pitchforks is fairly prevalent in cartoons, so I guess it's something that is so familiar to people (in particular kids) that they just don't think about it. I personally had never thought about it at all until this thread.

(See, I managed to bring it around to the topic after all!!!)
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    , Esmerelda is seen appealing to the real God as opposed to the fake one that Frollo presents (in her song God Help the Outcast).
    She's a gypsy witch, she can't possibly be appealing to the real God.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Off topic, but during the candelighting ceremony they actually read from the Bible on Main St and they read a poem about how the life of Jesus has impacted the world more than any other single human life. It's very moving, but surprising in this day and age. As far as the larger idea of religious imagery appearing in the parks (even hell), Disney obviously keeps it to a minimum, but if it's thematically appropriate, then they apparently are willing to go with it from time to time. Obviously Hunchback of Notre Dame has tremendous religious imagery, and although the leader of the church is the villain, Esmerelda is seen appealing to the real God as opposed to the fake one that Frollo presents (in her song God Help the Outcast). I guess because it's an old story and it's been done enough that people are familiar with it no one really cared, and I assume the same is true with the cartoon hell that Mr. Toad goes to. That depiction of hell with the little devils with the pitchforks is fairly prevalent in cartoons, so I guess it's something that is so familiar to people (in particular kids) that they just don't think about it. I personally had never thought about it at all until this thread.

(See, I managed to bring it around to the topic after all!!!)
    With our first viewing of Candlelight I was pleasantly surprised how religious they did take it.

As for the Hell scene, I have to be honest. Toad is a top ride and a must do every visit for me and that is in no small part to the charm of "going to hell" at the end. Our 6 year old loves the ride and never was scared of the scene.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Master Gracey's Music Man

It's because it rocks!
    When I was a kid I wondered this myself but still this is actually one of my favorite parts of the ride along with the courthouse sentencing hahaha
    Des douze coups de minuit aux matines sonnantes,
    Nous valserons ensemble, macabre débutante.

• Disney Philosopher

Maybe...Since all dogs go to heaven...

All toads go to hell? Along with cats.
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

I was one of the first, if not the first, to ride the Toad on Opening Day, 1955 (1st day with the press), at age 3. The hell scene scared the hell out of me. I enjoyed it and hated it so much I rode it again. I think they've toned down the hell experience since then. I got nightmares from that ride. It was the first ride that was operational on Opening Day.

• Minion

I thought ALL Disney rides ended in gift shops.

Yeah, like what Maneatingwreath said. I'm a Christian as well, and it is in NO way offensive. It's actually quite funny in my opinion! My family and I always laugh because of it.
    Disney tends to use a lot of spiritual references in their work.... one theory for that is because Walt Disney himself was a believer, but the only person who actually knows that for a fact is the man himself.

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    I thought ALL Disney rides ended in gift shops.
    Haha, close enough.... they can be viewed the same by your wallet! :P

• Disney fan

I think it's funny how an ending in "Hell" bothers some on here, but I've never seen anyone with a problem with the abrupt ending for Snow White. It just ends...boom...happily ever after. The continuity of Wind in the Willows is one thing, but Snow White is just bang, zoom, done. At least Mr. Toad shows a destination for a wild, partying amphibian.

Quote Originally Posted by rwsmith View Post
    I think it's funny how an ending in "Hell" bothers some on here, but I've never seen anyone with a problem with the abrupt ending for Snow White. It just ends...boom...happily ever after. The continuity of Wind in the Willows is one thing, but Snow White is just bang, zoom, done. At least Mr. Toad shows a destination for a wild, partying amphibian.
    Tis true... I guess it teaches kids not to party and run over people and objects and act wild....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast