Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Keep and Improve "a bug's land"

You see a lot of threads around here always asking for the removal of "a bug's land". I know I'm one of the few, but I actually really enjoy and love the concept of "a bug's land". Execution of the land is the problem. The theming is top notch and landscaping wonderful; the attractions are lacking.

If I were in charge, I would definitely keep ITTBAB (best 3D show in a Disney park, wonderful AA's, and a completely immersive lobby and theater), Flik's Flyers (great themed spinner), and Hemlich's.

I would expand Hemlich's in the land to take the place of Tuck N Roll and Francis' and make it an attraction more in tune with an attraction like Casey Jr.'s, perhaps with a small indoor, dark ride-esque scene. I think it would be awesome to see the ride vehicles changed from the character to a train made from objects taken by bugs (like Flik's Flyers).

I would love to somehow move the entrance of ITTBAB to be more within the land (closer to Cereal Box somehow).

I would also add an eatery near where the current ITTBAB entrance is. This is going to back to DCA 1.0. It would be great to have the Shake Shack (date shakes mmmm) back as well as a little snack eatery serving small, picnic-inspired (to fit land theme) food items (ants on a log, anyone?)

The land certainly has a lot of potential to be even more fun and immersive. I love the whole theme of bugs and being in their world; it resonates across ages.

Also, I never understood the "a bug's land" doesn't fit into CA theme. They're bugs...they honestly could be anywhere. The movie setting obviously shows a place that could be in any of the oak grassland valleys of CA. It's not that much of a stretch. I bet the Pixar artist were partially inspired for the setting of this movie by locations near the campus in Emeryville. I actually just bought a book for my classroom, "Aesop in California", which has the story of the Ants and the Grasshopper (which inspired A Bug's Life) and the research location for the illustrations was Quail Lake here in Southern California (whole book uses CA settings to tell Aesop's tales). The illustrations looked quite similar to the setting of the movie.

I just feel the land has a lot of potential to be fun. It's already very immersive for being in such a small space. I would think it would be very difficult to do something different in that amount of space. If that could happen, I would only ask for two things: 1) that this new "land" offer just as many attractions for ALL height limits (the rides in "a bug's land" really are a hit with the little ones and can be enjoyed by adults, if they so choose); and 2) that this new "land" offer just as much greenery, landscaping, and shade as "a bug's land" (which would be difficult for ideas I seen thrown around here for the space; Cars Land expansion, HL expansion, mini Mission area, or any other type of cityscape would lack the greenery).

Thoughts? Comments? Other Ideas?

• Disneyland Dreamer

Re: Keep and Improve "a bug's land"

Bugs land is a must otherwise the little ones won't have anything to ride in DCA.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Bugs land is a must otherwise the little ones won't have anything to ride in DCA.
    That's not true, they also have Disney Junior, Monsters, Ariel, Muppets, Jumpin Jellyfish, King Triton's Carousel, Mater's Junkyard, and Luigi's Flying Tires. Bugs Land offers many rides for the kiddies, but that does not mean there aren't other attractions in DCA that they will enjoy.

I'd still like those the,and uprooted to Animal Kingdom where space is not an issue and it can do some serious good attraction-count wise and thematically

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

So Omegadiz, you're moving Bug's Land from Anaheim to Orlando?
    Last edited by Attic Haunt; 07-16-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: clarification

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    That's not true, they also have Jumpin Jellyfish, Mater's Junkyard, and Luigi's Flying Tires..
    All of which have height restrictions

If Bugs Land at least had a dark ride, I wouldnt hate it as much. They need to give someone, besides a 5 year old, at least one reason to go in.

• I'm from Canada eh!

I would agree with purging two of the rides and developing a new darkride in their space. But given that BL is pretty well a dead property , I do not see it happening. I'm actually surprised that another cartoon was not developed for bugslife though, the characters would transfer over to tv very well I think.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    All of which have height restrictions
    Luigi's and Mater's only have a height restriction of 32 inches which is on average the height a baby reaches when he/she is a one year old. So unless you bring in a baby that is less than a year old or just does not grow fast, the height restriction for those rides probably won't deter toddlers from riding.

• Minion

I'm fine either way. I think it would be nice if they made an updated ITTBAB with bugs endemic to CA, as well as some type of exhibit next to it. I'd also like for the area around ITTBAB to become a farm or some type of actual sized wooded area with the building becoming a small hill or maybe a barn...I liked the idea of shrinking when you entered flicks fair instead of right away like it is now. I like the idea of hemlichs being longer. Maybe an attraction similar to jumping jellyfish( so we can finally get rid of that) themed to the fake birds that flik made. An ant island subland would be nice as well.
    Last edited by imaginashton; 07-16-2013 at 12:08 PM.

• Singing Drinker

It barely registers on my radar, mainly because other than wanting to be in a theme or "I really want to just be on a ride, hey, Heimlich's is a permanent walk-on" reasons I don't ever really deal with the area.

Personally I'd like to see ITTBAB removed and replaced with something more substantial - D ticket dark ride, E ticket something not a movie - but I really dislike the current movie. I've always felt it shows what happens when Imagineering designs to impress a certain exec's adolescent boys. Fart spray in the face, sharp jabs in the back, spitting everywhere - it's a 12 year old boy's dream show.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

I think A Bug's Land is symptomatic of the larger problem with Disney Parks which started with too many rides and attractions based off of Disney films and has now grown to entire lands in parks around the world based on entire films (and only Pixar films, mind you). The two main problems with this that I see are that it just shows lazy carelessness by the executives and imagineers and caring only about doing things as cheap and quick as possible and second it creates the problem of a lack of expansion possibilities or creative ideas within the land itself.
    For instance, with Cars Land (a land not in California but put in a park meant to celebrate all things California), they have just recreated the entire town in Cars and made every part of it either a ride or a shop or dining attraction. Now it's fairly easy to imagine that in 10 or 15 years some of the rides or attractions will lose their popularity and the popularity of Cars itself will fade. At that point, Imagineers will be tasked with coming up with new rides, but the problem is that since the land is "Cars Land" and not "Desertland" or "The Mojave" they are extremely limited in what they can do for future rides. The only option is that at some point in the future they will get rid of Cars Land, except probably for Radiator Springs Racers, and replace it with something more like "The Mojave" and create new attractions themed to the California high desert.
    A Bug's Land is the same way, the rides are just simply not up to par with what Disney rides should be. Even the most "kiddie" of kiddie rides in Disneyland is longer, can be fun for Adults too, and gives people a better story and ride experience than anything in A Bug's Land. The only good part of ABL is It's Tough to be a Bug, which like Radiator Springs Racers, is the only part of it that should remain when I think it eventually will be and should be incorporated into another land. While incorporating into another well-themed land is difficult, largely due to the poorly designed layout of DCA, but I think the best option would be to expand Grizzly Peak over the walkway and incorporate it with that land. You could make a big fallen log and make it look like you're going under it into the attraction and then it would open up more space for either another attraction or new restaurant themed to the California forests, or use part of it to expand on Hollywoodland, which could use another good attraction as well.
    Last edited by JamesDusenberry; 07-16-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    So Omegadiz, you're moving Bug's Land from Anaheim to Orlando?
    Yes. I just have to dismantle everything piece by piece and then go visit the US Postal Service. If it fits, it ships ��

I agree with moving the entrance for ITTBAB farther back into the land.In that area at the front how about adding a bumble bee monorail to fly over the land? Remember they had one at Santa's Village years ago. Could work.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Luigi's and Mater's only have a height restriction of 32 inches which is on average the height a baby reaches when he/she is a one year old.
    Maybe in gigantor land. I've got a 4 year old who's only 39" and she's completely within normal. That being said, my oldest rode Big Thunder when she was 4, so mileage varies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast