Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Posts
    455

    An Epidemic of Movie-Based Rides...

    --Warning: Long Post--

    So on this anniversary of Disneyland, I figured I'd make a post about my thoughts on the state of the resort. I'm sad to have to say that it is becoming apparent that Disneyland Resort is suffering from an epidemic of movie-based rides and attractions.

    All imagination and creative ability for designing and building unique attractions with new stories being told seems to be completely gone. What's even more disturbing is that we have lots of evidence, some of it amazing in quality, that this imagination and creative ability still seems to exist in every other resort. For some unknown reason, however, the Disneyland Resort seems to be losing out time and again. While Imagineers design amazing new and unique attractions around the world, they seem to be content with just throwing movie-based rides at Disneyland, some of which weren't even new and were simply recreations of rides already built in other parks.

    Let's take a look at most of the new rides at the DLR over the past 10 years, shall we? We have... Star Tours: The Adventure Continues, Radiator Springs Racers, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, Luigi's Flying Tires, The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure, Silly Symphony Swings, Toy Story Midway Mania, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, Monsters Inc. Mike & Sully to the Rescue!, and Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters.

    All together that is 10 movie-based rides in the past 10 years at the DLR, and I'm not even counting things like the Pirates films infiltrating POTC, the fact that there are not 1 but 2 whole lands in DCA based on Pixar films, things like the Iron Man exhibit in Innoventions, Star Wars Jedi Training Academy, Woody's Roundup Show, a Mary Poppins (British) themed bakery on Main Street U.S.A., or for some unknown reason the fact they felt the need to inject Disney and Pixar characters into IASW after half a century of unwavering popularity. It's as if Disney executives have developed some kind of irrational phobia that if a ride or attraction doesn't have characters from Disney films or cartoons then there is something wrong with it or people won't like it. When really, pretty much the opposite is true.

    So while we have gotten rehashed clones from other parks and attractions where all you do is ride through a movie... other parks got completely new and unique rides like Expedition Everest, Mission: Space, Updated Test Track, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Sinbad's Storybook Voyage, Raging Spirits roller coaster, StormRider simulator, and entirely new land concepts like Mystic Point with the amazing new Mystic Manor and the new spin on the traditional western-themed land Grizzly Gulch with Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars. All of these are great, new, and unique rides or new twists on other similar rides and lands.

    What I think is one of the coolest and most innovative new thing Disney has done in other parks is begin to link different rides together by creating a whole new sort of 'universe' within the Disney universe. It first started with Tokyo DisneySea not wanting to pay for the rights to Twilight Zone and creating their own new story for the Tower of Terror. They created the story of Harrison Hightower a millionaire explorer from the late 19th Century who collected rare items and artifacts in his travels. One such artifact was Shiriki Utundu, an idol from Africa which carries a curse with it! Now that is cool in itself, but then Hong Kong Disneyland created Mystic Manor. Mystic Manor was the home of Lord Henry Mystic, also a collector who picks up a cursed artifact while on a journey as a member of the Society of Explorers and Adventurers, of which Harrison Hightower is also a member, among several others. In Mystic Manor you see a photo of the members of the Society, including Harrison Hightower holding the idol of Shiriki Utundu. So not only has Disney created a new take on one attraction and another completely new attraction, but they have created stories for each that link characters and stories together and start to paint a larger story about this new Society of Explorers and Adventurers and their members.

    So when other parks are getting amazing, new attractions and lands like these, and clearly the imagination and creativity for new original rides is not gone from the company .... Why, Oh Why is Disneyland seemingly ignored and forgotten? There have been so many occasions and opportunities for cool new rides for Disneyland like the ones listed above, but time after time Imagineers and Disney Execs opt to install already made attractions like TSMM, TLM, and BLAB or use their limited creativity on rides like Nemo or Monsters where you basically just ride through the movie you've already seen instead of making new stories for us to see with their rides.

    Now of course there have been rides based on movies since Disneyland's inception and I am not against them entirely, but there has always been a balance between movie rides and new unique rides and almost all the movie based rides were just in Fantasyland and nowhere else, with the exception of Splash (based on a movie most Disney fans haven't even seen). However in recent years they seem to be increasingly making rides, and now entire lands, based just on Disney movies. The most recent example of this comes with the new rumors that Disney is considering putting a second Monsters attraction in Tomorrowland (a ride that in no way has anything to do with the future or even futuristic sci-fi .. but for some reason it should go in Tomorrowland?) and also possibly getting rid of Hollywoodland in DCA and replacing it with 'Monstropolis' and a coaster ride based on yet another film which would make it the third land in DCA based solely on one Pixar film, also having nothing to do with California in 'California Adventure' and making it so that basically half the park is nothing by Pixar movie lands. SMH.

    Disneyland is the one that started it all, it is absolutely the greatest of all the parks and the only one where there really is Magic when you enter the gates. A feeling and emotion you don't get anywhere else. Disneyland should be getting just as many amazing new and unique rides just like all the other parks. It's very disheartening to look at every other resort and see the great original rides they have made and are making and then to look at Disneyland and DCA getting rehashes and unoriginal movie-based rides. The prime example of this is when you compare the shocking difference in the level of detail, creative effort, and simple forethought and good planning that went into Tokyo DisneySea and the original version of California Adventure. TDS was and is an amazing and beautiful park completely full of new idea for lands and original attractions that have stood the test of time, while DCA was horribly designed with sub-par attractions in its meager 3 total lands and virtually every attraction with the exception of their E-Tickets have been either changed or completely replaced. And what most have been replaced with are the very movie-based rides I have been talking about and not much else.

    This trend needs to stop and Disney needs to recommit itself to Disneyland and California Adventure and any further expansion or refurbishment of lands must consist primarily of new content, new ideas, and new original rides and attractions. Disney parks should not be a place where you simply ride through the movie being marketed to you and buy the toys and accessories of said movie. It should be a place of wonder and amazement, a place that pushes the boundaries of distant horizons and strives to stun guests with their latest innovation and wondrous new stories being told through their rides and attractions. It is always a source of joy but it needs to get back to being a source of inspiration for all the world, with attractions and rides that make their rivals jealous and make their guests ride over and over the 'new' attractions they can't stop talking about.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

    "We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

    "I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

  2. #2

    • "I don't like the color"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the TARDIS
    Posts
    1,982

    Re: An Epidemic of Movie-Based Rides...

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesDusenberry View Post
    --Warning: Long Post--

    So on this anniversary of Disneyland, I figured I'd make a post about my thoughts on the state of the resort. I'm sad to have to say that it is becoming apparent that Disneyland Resort is suffering from an epidemic of movie-based rides and attractions.

    All imagination and creative ability for designing and building unique attractions with new stories being told seems to be completely gone. What's even more disturbing is that we have lots of evidence, some of it amazing in quality, that this imagination and creative ability still seems to exist in every other resort. For some unknown reason, however, the Disneyland Resort seems to be losing out time and again. While Imagineers design amazing new and unique attractions around the world, they seem to be content with just throwing movie-based rides at Disneyland, some of which weren't even new and were simply recreations of rides already built in other parks.

    Let's take a look at most of the new rides at the DLR over the past 10 years, shall we? We have... Star Tours: The Adventure Continues, Radiator Springs Racers, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, Luigi's Flying Tires, The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure, Silly Symphony Swings, Toy Story Midway Mania, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, Monsters Inc. Mike & Sully to the Rescue!, and Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters.

    All together that is 10 movie-based rides in the past 10 years at the DLR, and I'm not even counting things like the Pirates films infiltrating POTC, the fact that there are not 1 but 2 whole lands in DCA based on Pixar films, things like the Iron Man exhibit in Innoventions, Star Wars Jedi Training Academy, Woody's Roundup Show, a Mary Poppins (British) themed bakery on Main Street U.S.A., or for some unknown reason the fact they felt the need to inject Disney and Pixar characters into IASW after half a century of unwavering popularity. It's as if Disney executives have developed some kind of irrational phobia that if a ride or attraction doesn't have characters from Disney films or cartoons then there is something wrong with it or people won't like it. When really, pretty much the opposite is true.

    So while we have gotten rehashed clones from other parks and attractions where all you do is ride through a movie... other parks got completely new and unique rides like Expedition Everest, Mission: Space, Updated Test Track, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Sinbad's Storybook Voyage, Raging Spirits roller coaster, StormRider simulator, and entirely new land concepts like Mystic Point with the amazing new Mystic Manor and the new spin on the traditional western-themed land Grizzly Gulch with Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars. All of these are great, new, and unique rides or new twists on other similar rides and lands.

    What I think is one of the coolest and most innovative new thing Disney has done in other parks is begin to link different rides together by creating a whole new sort of 'universe' within the Disney universe. It first started with Tokyo DisneySea not wanting to pay for the rights to Twilight Zone and creating their own new story for the Tower of Terror. They created the story of Harrison Hightower a millionaire explorer from the late 19th Century who collected rare items and artifacts in his travels. One such artifact was Shiriki Utundu, an idol from Africa which carries a curse with it! Now that is cool in itself, but then Hong Kong Disneyland created Mystic Manor. Mystic Manor was the home of Lord Henry Mystic, also a collector who picks up a cursed artifact while on a journey as a member of the Society of Explorers and Adventurers, of which Harrison Hightower is also a member, among several others. In Mystic Manor you see a photo of the members of the Society, including Harrison Hightower holding the idol of Shiriki Utundu. So not only has Disney created a new take on one attraction and another completely new attraction, but they have created stories for each that link characters and stories together and start to paint a larger story about this new Society of Explorers and Adventurers and their members.

    So when other parks are getting amazing, new attractions and lands like these, and clearly the imagination and creativity for new original rides is not gone from the company .... Why, Oh Why is Disneyland seemingly ignored and forgotten? There have been so many occasions and opportunities for cool new rides for Disneyland like the ones listed above, but time after time Imagineers and Disney Execs opt to install already made attractions like TSMM, TLM, and BLAB or use their limited creativity on rides like Nemo or Monsters where you basically just ride through the movie you've already seen instead of making new stories for us to see with their rides.

    Now of course there have been rides based on movies since Disneyland's inception and I am not against them entirely, but there has always been a balance between movie rides and new unique rides and almost all the movie based rides were just in Fantasyland and nowhere else, with the exception of Splash (based on a movie most Disney fans haven't even seen). However in recent years they seem to be increasingly making rides, and now entire lands, based just on Disney movies. The most recent example of this comes with the new rumors that Disney is considering putting a second Monsters attraction in Tomorrowland (a ride that in no way has anything to do with the future or even futuristic sci-fi .. but for some reason it should go in Tomorrowland?) and also possibly getting rid of Hollywoodland in DCA and replacing it with 'Monstropolis' and a coaster ride based on yet another film which would make it the third land in DCA based solely on one Pixar film, also having nothing to do with California in 'California Adventure' and making it so that basically half the park is nothing by Pixar movie lands. SMH.

    Disneyland is the one that started it all, it is absolutely the greatest of all the parks and the only one where there really is Magic when you enter the gates. A feeling and emotion you don't get anywhere else. Disneyland should be getting just as many amazing new and unique rides just like all the other parks. It's very disheartening to look at every other resort and see the great original rides they have made and are making and then to look at Disneyland and DCA getting rehashes and unoriginal movie-based rides. The prime example of this is when you compare the shocking difference in the level of detail, creative effort, and simple forethought and good planning that went into Tokyo DisneySea and the original version of California Adventure. TDS was and is an amazing and beautiful park completely full of new idea for lands and original attractions that have stood the test of time, while DCA was horribly designed with sub-par attractions in its meager 3 total lands and virtually every attraction with the exception of their E-Tickets have been either changed or completely replaced. And what most have been replaced with are the very movie-based rides I have been talking about and not much else.

    This trend needs to stop and Disney needs to recommit itself to Disneyland and California Adventure and any further expansion or refurbishment of lands must consist primarily of new content, new ideas, and new original rides and attractions. Disney parks should not be a place where you simply ride through the movie being marketed to you and buy the toys and accessories of said movie. It should be a place of wonder and amazement, a place that pushes the boundaries of distant horizons and strives to stun guests with their latest innovation and wondrous new stories being told through their rides and attractions. It is always a source of joy but it needs to get back to being a source of inspiration for all the world, with attractions and rides that make their rivals jealous and make their guests ride over and over the 'new' attractions they can't stop talking about.
    Great post! Totally agree with you. Unfortunately, it appears that Disneyland will continue down that path.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

  3. #3

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: An Epidemic of Movie-Based Rides...

    I couldn't agree more with what you said. Disneyland seriously needs to invest money into original quality attractions that will last a long time.

  4. #4

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: An Epidemic of Movie-Based Rides...

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesDusenberry View Post
    ...Now of course there have been rides based on movies since Disneyland's inception and I am not against them entirely, but there has always been a balance between movie rides and new unique rides and almost all the movie based rides were just in Fantasyland and nowhere else, with the exception of Splash (based on a movie most Disney fans haven't even seen). However in recent years they seem to be increasingly making rides, and now entire lands, based just on Disney movies. The most recent example of this comes with the new rumors that Disney is considering putting a second Monsters attraction in Tomorrowland (a ride that in no way has anything to do with the future or even futuristic sci-fi .. but for some reason it should go in Tomorrowland?) and also possibly getting rid of Hollywoodland in DCA and replacing it with 'Monstropolis' and a coaster ride based on yet another film which would make it the third land in DCA based solely on one Pixar film, also having nothing to do with California in 'California Adventure' and making it so that basically half the park is nothing by Pixar movie lands....
    Great post. Sadly, with every new attraction and upgrade, it becomes more obvious that Disney Corp has no intention of continuing the heritage of originality, innovation and creativity that made Disneyland a worldwide hit. Year after year, Bob Iger and Tom Staggs (former lieutenant and Chief Financial Officer of Michael Eisner, respectively) continue to demonstrate their commitment to Eisner's mandate that "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides." With the re-purposing of world-famous Disneyland icons like Pirates of the Caribbean, Small World and the Submarines, it's clear that he also meant turning original rides into infomercials for movies.

    Eisner's vision for Disneyland was that it is a marketing platform for promoting franchise brands. It's a vision that Disney Corp has proved it is dedicated to following.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-17-2013 at 08:36 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  5. #5

    • Heavy Breather
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    A Galaxy Far Far Away
    Posts
    808

    Re: An Epidemic of Movie-Based Rides...

    Meanwhile at Imagineering....
    http://static.quickmeme.com/media/social/qm.gif


    What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

    Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/









  6. #6

    • Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    847

    Re: An Epidemic of Movie-Based Rides...

    Well considering that the park is more popular than ever...and franchised based lands are a HUGE hit with the public...what can you do? The public has spoken and they want to live out their favorite stories in real life.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

  7. #7

    • I'm from Canada eh!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,074

    Re: An Epidemic of Movie-Based Rides...

    Good post and spot on observations.

    However, Money talks: Harry Potter, The Simpson, Transformers, Car Land, Princesses, Star Wars and Marvel. All Billion dollar franchises, all guaranteed to give the masses what they want and they will pay lots to see it.

    So while I would love to see a concept like Mystic Manor, I understand the current culture that gives people what they want, rather than offering an original idea in hopes that people will be open enough to the idea of something new.

    If 'new' movies like John Carter and the Lone Ranger vs sequels like Despicable Me 2, Transformers 4 are any indication, I thinking that the general population has told the executives that they want something familiar rather then original (more or less).


  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    122

    Re: An Epidemic of Movie-Based Rides...

    In today's market, tie-ins to popular properties and possible celebrity associations are more popular.

    I had been thinking about the proliferation of tie-in attractions at Disneyland for awhile. I do think it did come about during the Eisner era, when they put Captain EO and Star Tours in Tomorrowland.

    Sometimes I wonder if anyone in Imagineering ever tries to pitch an idea that has no tie-ins. I imagine alot of people just get confused: 'so, it's a ride, that isn't, connected to anything?'

  9. #9

    • "I don't like the color"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the TARDIS
    Posts
    1,982

    Re: An Epidemic of Movie-Based Rides...

    Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    Sorry Anakin, but the link does not work - even on my IPhone5 (at least for me).
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Posts
    455

    Re: An Epidemic of Movie-Based Rides...

    To everyone saying that it's just inevitable because movie-tie in rides and lands are just 'so popular' or 'more popular' ... I don't buy it.

    I'd wager that 90% of Disneyland fans, when asked to rank their favorite rides at the park, will all place non-movie based rides at the top. Classics like POTC (Ignoring Johnny Depp in it now), HM, BTMR, Space, and I'd throw Splash in there since probably close to 99% of people who ride and love it have no idea there's a movie behind it or if they do they've never seen it.

    And more importantly, as I showed in my first post, other parks in Florida and around the world have been consistently getting new original attractions and people LOVE them! Expedition Everest is one of the most popular rides in the whole resort, Mystic Manor looks so amazing that fans all around the world were clamouring to find ride throughs on YouTube. For people who have visited it, Tokyo DisneySea comes in as a very close second place finish as their all time favorite park - second only to Disneyland of course.

    While we get A Bug's Land and Cars Land, Hong Kong gets Mystic Point and Grizzly Gulch. Disney and Pixar films are just as popular, if not more popular, in Asia and the China parks have waaay more people who could be potential guests. So if these movie rides are as popular as some are making them out to be, wouldn't Disney have just filled their new parks there with movie-based rides? Instead, they are building classic Disneyland replicas with most all being copies of the original non-movie rides at Disneyland. Then when they are expanding they are creating new lands and new rides, nothing to do with any film franchise.

    So the argument that "movie-based rides are just more popular" or "movie-based rides are what the people want" is just simply not true at all and merely propoganda the executives would like you to believe so that they can keep spending as little money as possible fixing up Disneyland while they focus on putting the real good stuff in other parks they feel are their money makers because the almighty dollar is all they really care about these days. But the fact is, it's not true. I mean, how many of you were sooo excited with Mystic Manor or Grizzly Gulch? How many of you have just drooled with you mouth agape in amazement while watching videos on YouTube of Tokyo DisneySea. And then how many started talking with your friends or family saying, "we gotta go!". These are just a couple lands and a couple rides that are powerful enough, precisely becuase they are great stories and adventures we have never seen before, so much so that people start trying to find ways to travel halfway across the globe just to see them in person. So really... which type of rides and lands are more popular, hmm?

    And as for what other theme parks are doing with their movie tie-ins ... who cares?! Disney has always led the pack with new inovative rides and showing everyone what the people want, not the other way around. Of course Universal makes movie based rides... their whole thing is that they are a real working movie studio and you can come to their park, tour a working backlot, and then you can do what their tagline says and 'ride the movies'. Disney should not feel the need to copy them in any way.

    Even looking at movie-based lands here, they don't measure up to new original lands elsewhere. A Bug's Land is a land many people skip entirely and when they don't it's derided for not measuring up to other lands and having all 'kiddie' rides that even some kids find too short and boring. Cars Land is the big new one of course, but most everyone I've talked to doesn't really love the land itself... they love the rock work. That rock work is impressive and really is the big seller for the whole land, but they could have done that same work without needing it to the themed to a movie. And then RSR people do seem to really love (although many thought/wished it went faster than it actually does), but the rest of the rides are kind of duds. Mater's is sort of fun, but it's nothing truly new or something you'll immediately go back in line for, and Luigi's tires are a rehashing of the failed UFO ride which was shut down for the same reason I imagine Luigi's will eventually be too ... it had consant break downs and the ride itself, leaning one way or another to slowly build up momentum and then slowly bump into someone else, is just really not that fun to do over and over. So if movie-based lands are so popular.. why does everyone always talk about getting rid of Bug's Land and why do most people say the only thing they really like about Cars Land is the one E-ticket and the surrounding rock work?

    Disneyland can do better, Disneyland should do better, Disneyland must do better.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

    "We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

    "I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

  11. #11

    • Singing Drinker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,030

    Re: An Epidemic of Movie-Based Rides...

    I agree that it's a problem - the movie based experience comes with a shelf life, at the end of which most "movie experiences" will seem dated.

    Uni was mentioned. They're a good example of this - they HAVE to keep moving and replacing rides, otherwise they lose a good portion of their draw. ET made way for Mummy. Simpsons ate BTTF. Despicable Me terminated the... ah, hell, I can't make a joke that bad. You get the point.

    The attractions they replaced were based on what are now nearly inarguably classic film attractions - at the very least, ET, Back to the Future and Terminator are all listed amongst the "classics of their era" if not all time. But after a while, the attractions lose the ability to be "refreshed" without violating the story and the entire attraction starts to stale.

    SOME - repeating this for emphasis - SOME franchises may be evergreen. Harry Potter may be enough to keep Uni safe for decades (I suspect that in thirty years there may be a different opinion on this, but...). The Disney franchises based on fairy tales have a universal enough source that they're remarkably resilient. However, NEW franchises like that are hard to come by, unpredictable in length before they are no longer current, and usually expensive to procure.

    It winds up with a very "Harvard MBA" development style. The popular culture franchises are very tempting targets because they come with a built in audience and are very low-hanging fruit when it comes to "will this work" decisions. That front loaded popularity serves almost everyone involved remarkably well at first, as everyone gets kudos for making the new property and pleasing the property's minders and the park sees blockbuster business.

    Down the road though? I believe the parks set themselves up for a bigger expense. A non-franchise ride might have a generic throughput that means it's still relevant some half century later, while the equivalent for a franchise ride may be on it's second rebuild and possibly be needing a third in one decade if the franchise doesn't hold value.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Posts
    455

    Re: An Epidemic of Movie-Based Rides...

    Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Down the road though? I believe the parks set themselves up for a bigger expense. A non-franchise ride might have a generic throughput that means it's still relevant some half century later, while the equivalent for a franchise ride may be on it's second rebuild and possibly be needing a third in one decade if the franchise doesn't hold value.
    Here here! And not only do they set themselves up for more expenses later as we saw with their more than $2 Billion investment in improving DCA, which is still arguably the worst park in any resort, while TDS opened the same time and has barely changed at all.

    Not only that though... they are mising a huge opportunity to actually make more money in the future. A new attraction or a new land means a whole new set of merchandise to sell, a whole new set of Disney Pins to market, etc. Then in the future if they make rides with good enough stories, in 10 or 15 years (while I would never condone it as a regular practice) they could be inspirations for new cartoons, tv shows, or films to make even more money from. I mean the biggest example of this is Pirates, and if they didn't inject things from the movie into the ride I would have zero problem with the whole thing, though I still think most new rides can and should remain by themselves and don't require adaptions into films or other media.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

    "We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

    "I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

  13. #13

    • A Pirate's Life For Me...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona
    Posts
    358

    Re: An Epidemic of Movie-Based Rides...

    I totally agree with you.

    Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch are just phenomenal attractions and its time Disneyland gets an original ride but I just don't see it happening anytime soon, if ever because of how many entities Disney now owns (Marvel, Star Wars) and the popularity of those entities, its guaranteed money for them. There wouldn't be as much hype behind an original ride. We Disney folk would love it (or at least the thought at first) but it wouldn't have the same draw as a movie based ride.

    Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!



  14. #14

    • Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    847

    Re: An Epidemic of Movie-Based Rides...

    The classics may be a lot of people's favorites...and the fans may prefer them over the franchises, but its Cars Land and Harry Potter that are bringing in the people. The surge in attendance at DCA and IoA is due almost entirely to the new franchise offerings.

    We are all fans of something be it Marvel, Cars, Star Wars, Harry Potter or something else of that sort. And I'd bet all of us would love to see our own favorite stories be built out in real life...a work of fiction we adore turned real. I'd even go so far to bet that most on here would chose a land or attraction based on their favorite story or fiction over something original. That is the appeal of these things. A lot of people want to go to Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade, Radiator Springs, Hoth, or Tatoine. Personally, I'm waiting for someone to build a star trek land. But see what I mean? We all have that one franchise that we want to see in the flesh more than anything.

    And can we stop with the whole Disney shouldn't follow other parks argument? That implies that anything another park does is instantly bad and disney should never touch the idea. At one time that may have been true but not anymore. Disney shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel every time some park we don't care for got to the idea first. Hell we wouldn't have big thunder if Disney went by that logic. Good ideas are good ideas regardless of who was the first.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

  15. #15

    • Singing Drinker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,030

    Re: An Epidemic of Movie-Based Rides...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    The classics may be a lot of people's favorites...and the fans may prefer them over the franchises, but its Cars Land and Harry Potter that are bringing in the people. The surge in attendance at DCA and IoA is due almost entirely to the new franchise offerings.
    Emphasis mine.

    The difficulty with this is trying to compare it against... well, nothing. There ARE no non-franchise rides opening up in IOA or DCA in the near future or recent past. USF had a rollercoaster in 2009, but that's about it.

    It's *easier* to promote a franchise attraction. That's part of why franchises are so valuable - it makes promotion of any of the parts easier because of the whole.

    Easier does not mean that it would not be as successful to launch and promote a non-franchise ride. We just don't have same place data to compare.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] The "General Public" and Non-Movie Based Attractions
    By animagusurreal in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-03-2009, 11:01 AM
  2. [Fun] Of all the "PIXAR Movie Based" attractions in DLR, which is your favorite?
    By SILVERMOUSE21 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-03-2008, 02:09 PM
  3. The Movie-based Attractions That Could Have Been...
    By animagusurreal in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 10:14 AM
  4. New Movie Based on a Ride!
    By Chapter13 in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-30-2006, 05:17 AM
  5. News article: Disneyto film movie based on Irish writer's novel
    By Crazy Legs in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-12-2005, 05:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •