Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

• Artistic integrity

Re: Oz Land and Attraction Planned for Disneyland(Merged)

Okay ... I agree, this topic is about Oz .. but I want to respond to this .. and then back to that yellow brick road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    You seriously consider the current version of Tomorrowland one of the "best sections of Disney"? lol Tomorrowland hasn't been good since the early 90s
    It was good in the early 90s?

A refresher course in TL history:

* 1988 America Sings closed for good - the building would sit empty for 10 years.
    * 1991/92 - Rocket Jets completely removed for more than 6 months. (Accident on Dumbo prompted Disney to retool their other similar spinner)
    * 1992 Mission To Mars closed it's doors for good - the building would remain shuttered for 4 years, till it was finally touched for the construction of TL:98 (Late 1996)
    * 1992 Space Place Restaurant closed it's doors for good - Another abandoned facility that would collect dust for several years.
    * 1994 Skyway closed for good.

That entire section .. running along the east edge ... from Space Mountain to Autopia .. one giant ghost town.

"You seriously consider the current version of Tomorrowland one of the "best sections of Disney"? lol Tomorrowland hasn't been good since the late 60s to early 80s."

Fixed that for you.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 07-28-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post

* 1988 America Sings closed for good - the building would sit empty for 10 years.
    * 1991/92 - Rocket Jets completely removed for more than 6 months. (Accident on Dumbo prompted Disney to retool their other similar spinner)
    * 1992 Mission To Mars closed it's doors for good - the building would remain shuttered for 4 years, till it was finally touched for the construction of TL:98 (Late 1996)
    * 1992 Space Place Restaurant closed it's doors for good - Another abandoned facility that would collect dust for several years.

That entire section .. running along the east edge ... from Space Mountain to Autopia .. one giant ghost town.
    Exactly right. Also, the maintenance on the Submarines and Peoplemover was cut to the bone -- both rides become shabby and dirty, and desperately in need of an upgrade, and got worse and worse until they were closed. With the exception of adding Star Tours, the Eisner regime trashed Tomorrowland.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Okay ... I agree, this topic is about Oz .. but I want to respond to this .. and then back to that yellow brick road.

It was good in the early 90s?

"You seriously consider the current version of Tomorrowland one of the "best sections of Disney"? lol Tomorrowland hasn't been good since the late 60s to early 80s."

Fixed that for you.
    It was good up to the early 90s. A few attraction closures through the early 90s is acceptable but the turning point was def closing of the skyway and a year or two later the peoplemover.

Whats been going on there for the past 15 years is totally unacceptable though. They cant use the peoplemover tracks because of some silly law, they will never put a show in the America Sings building, buzz and nemo dont belong there and autopia stinks. It's time to bring in the bulldozers and start over. Certain things like star tours and space mountain aren't going anywhere but there is too much ancient property just wasting space it's ridiculous and someone like Walt would have been driven nuts by that.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    It was good up to the early 90s. A few attraction closures through the early 90s is acceptable but the turning point was def closing of the skyway and a year or two later the peoplemover.

Whats been going on there for the past 15 years is totally unacceptable though. They cant use the peoplemover tracks because of some silly law, they will never put a show in the America Sings building, buzz and nemo dont belong there and autopia stinks. It's time to bring in the bulldozers and start over. Certain things like star tours and space mountain aren't going anywhere but there is too much ancient property just wasting space it's ridiculous and someone like Walt would have been driven nuts by that.
    I agree with this too! Up until the md 90s TL was still my favorite land in the park. But once PM was gone and before that Skyway it did feel a bit emptier. Once they shut down the Subs (even though it was pretty cheesy by this point and people were making jokes about it, but still a big attraction) the place felt like a shell.

It is sad because TL was the place my family spent the most time in the 80s and 90s. PM was always our very first ride and then we would spend hours (pre-FP of course) just riding everything around there. Of course we also included Matterhorn as part of TL back in those days.

Now basically I get a FP for SM and ST (which until 2.0 I basically avoided the last decade or so) and jump on Buzz as filler. Too old to do Autopia to really enjoy it now and I (admttedly) do the subs about as often as I was doing them before they closed, rarely. Monorail is still great though! I stilll just love watching it glide all through the resort.

Honestly Im all for razzing 75% of the land and doing something new and unique. It doesnt even have to be future related (dont kid yourselves people it havent been for decades anyway) but a science fiction or even theming it to another planet would be fun. Thats why although Im not huge on the SW idea I admit it would probably create the cohension to make this area a bit of sense. But again, unless they are willing to knock down about 4 rides (Buzz, Autopia, Nemo and probably SM) I have no idea how it could work? Its like trying to build CL in a pre existing space and having to explain why other Pixar and Disney characters exist in a land that is suppose to be about cars?

My feeling is if you are going to do right, then do it. If not, dont bother. But regardless they need to figure something out for this area and just do it already.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    It doesnt even have to be future related
    Um... It's called Tomorrowland. This is a concept that Disney has forgotten and desperately needs to be reminded of. Saying something in Tomorrowland doesn't have to be future related is like saying something in Frontierland doesn't have to relate to the American Frontier.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Um... It's called Tomorrowland. This is a concept that Disney has forgotten and desperately needs to be reminded of. Saying something in Tomorrowland doesn't have to be future related is like saying something in Frontierland doesn't have to relate to the American Frontier.
    Going to have to agree with this. There would then be no point in calling it Tomorrowland.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• A Happy Haunt

You're talking to one of the biggest geekiest fans of Star Wars
    I can picture the screaming already when the credits begin to roll for Episode VII in theaters come 2015!

As a major fan of both - I clearly see where it's a problem shoehorned into Disneyland. I'm disappointed some refuse to understand this.

If you are a major executive with creative decision making power - Do you:

A: Shortchange Star Wars fans .. and Tomorrowland fans by trying to combine both .. and in the end, both get compromised?
    B: Do justice to the franchise with it's own area. Unimpeded by surrounding environments that could potentially clash. - (ie - Third Park, remaining Timon Lot - DCA)

In the chance this gets pushed on to Tomorrowland (which I doubt) ... it will be because they are in a big hurry to get a project going as fast as Iger can push it - to coincide with as close to Episode VII's release time.

You wait for box office and bank reports... Profits will decide.

• Banned User

Yeah and how many attractions are about tomorrow?

Hell you can even ride monorails in many parts of the world today! Thats why Im saying maybe it should just be renamed altogether IF they raze the place, ie, a SW theme. Thats what Im saying, just do something new altogether. This same area in Paris is called Discoveryland for a REASON, because they knew the TL theme was dead and renaming it with a retro theme left them off the hook...and that was 20 years ago.

What exactly is in TL today that remotely identifies with this statement:

A vista into a world of wondrous ideas, signifying Man's achievement. A step into the future, with predictions of constructed things to come. Tomorrow offers new frontiers in science, adventure and ideals. The Atomic Age, the challenge of Outer Space and the hope for a peaceful, unified world.

Innoventions maybe? How is that working out? We can call it TL forever, but if it doesnt remotely stands up to its mission statement whats the point? Thats never going to happen again. The biggest rumors going for TL is more SW, Tron and Marvel, unless there is something Im missing? And again how is any of those about the above statement? Thats all sci fi fodder, has zero to do with science fact.

Futurism with this land has been dead for several decades now. Just calling it TL doesnt just make it so when you have stopped adding attractions that is really about tomorrow or the possibilities of it. I mean even the Autopia cant get electric cars which we now have TODAY! Seriously.
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 07-28-2013 at 10:32 PM.

• A Happy Haunt

Well, "future" can be translated many ways.
    I believe Walt Disney may have leaned more towards the imagination and dreams of "what could be". Rather than "what will be". The Whimsy of Tomorrow, is a better direction to travel in.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Going to have to agree with this. There would then be no point in calling it Tomorrowland.
    Then why not blow it all up and call it Star Wars Land (featuring Space Mountain) instead? Hmmmmmmm.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• -

Yeah and how many attractions are about tomorrow?
    With the exception of Buzz Lightyear, all of them are in some way related to mankind's future achievements.

Thats why Im saying maybe it should just be renamed altogether IF they raze the place, ie, a SW theme.
    That would be a cop out and the final nail in the lack of creativity coffin that is modern Disney.

What exactly is in TL today that remotely identifies with this statement:

A vista into a world of wondrous ideas, signifying Man's achievement. A step into the future, with predictions of constructed things to come. Tomorrow offers new frontiers in science, adventure and ideals. The Atomic Age, the challenge of Outer Space and the hope for a peaceful, unified world.
    Again, with the exception of Buzz Lightyear, all of them are in some way related to mankind's future achievements.

Thats all sci fi fodder, has zero to do with science fact.
    Today's science fiction is tomorrow's science fact. Look at cell phones and tablets. They once existed only in the world of scifi, now they are commonplace.

Futurism with this land has been dead for several decades now. Just calling it TL doesnt just make it so when you have stopped adding attractions that is really about tomorrow or the possibilities of it. I mean even the Autopia cant get electric cars which we now have TODAY! Seriously.
    Why let Disney off the hook so easily? There are plenty of ways to add new attractions that have to do with tomorrow without taking the easy road of retro futurism or completely abandoning the concept in its entirety.
    Last edited by calsig31; 07-29-2013 at 06:52 AM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Then why not blow it all up and call it Star Wars Land (featuring Space Mountain) instead? Hmmmmmmm.
    What kind of blasphemy would that be? Unless you were being sarcastic?
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

I'll take an Oz Land. Could end up being really cool. Having the pathway slow fade into the yellow brick road. Idk, it could be a really good addition.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910