Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Make it Cool

re: Oz Land and Attraction Planned for Disneyland(Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Haunted Mansion - Disneyland, WDW, Tokyo
    Phantom Manor - Paris
    Mystic Manor - Hong Kong

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - Disneyland, WDW, Paris, Tokyo
    Grizzly Gulch - Hong Kong

Please don't say because they have different names, buildings, and mountain shapes that they are ENTIRELY different attractions. The concepts are so close as to be indistinguishable even if the façade and layouts are different.

One is a western train roller coaster, the other is the park haunted house. The concepts are more similar than they are different. Just like basing on a move - little conceptualizing for something entirely new is involved.
    I disagree. Mystic Manor and Grizzly Mountain are complete reconceptualizations of Mansion and Thunder, and as such are totally unique.

• Minion

I liked the new Oz movie, but I'm not sure about putting in an Oz themed area.
    Last edited by frollofan; 07-17-2013 at 08:00 PM.

• Monorail Junkie

They can not use the likenesses from the movie. People would want to see the MGM characters and would be upset they are different or not there at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    Tony Baxter said it himself those 2 attractions were just POTC doubles which wouldn't work in the long run ! Having 3 similar attractions!
    Geyser Mountain was nothing like Pirates.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneybyMark View Post
    DbM has it from reliable sources that our friends at Imagineering are finishing up concept and show design for an Oz land (or area) and Oz attraction based on the movie Oz the Great and Powerful.
    more here: http://www.disneybymark.com/2013/07/17/oz-land-attraction-planned-disneyland/
    Moderators merge this thread!

star wars > anything oz

• Minion

I'd take Oz over Star Wars, any day.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

This idea has been kicked around since 1958 when OZ was suppose to be installed as a part of Storybook land.

• keh!

Are people even raving about the film? Was there any raving in general? Besides "profits, duh"... why?

• Make it Cool

Re: Oz Land and Attraction Planned for Disneyland(Merged)

Let's face it: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL was a deeply flawed movie. However, what it had was amazing production design and art direction. Unfortunately, Disney sees this and it's easier to make a Land out of something as fully formed and realized as OZ as portrayed in the recent film. It's unfortunate that the strength (or lack thereof) of the story and characters are secondary (at best) to dazzling design. I think this is a land - like AVATAR that no one really wants but is getting anyway because of strong (mostly foreign) box office and the excellent production design of the original material. Lazy.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    That may be true, but everything in there seemed to be specific to Disneyland. Everything from Splash Mountain to Small World.
    Everything in that room is related to some aspect of any Disney park. All park attractions were created there, so every character would probably be represented in that room.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I agree with most people on here. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Imagineering developed a concept for an Oz attraction before the movie opened, but it doesn't seem like it was a huge success for Disney, so I'm guessing the concept will just get shelved, and then reused someday but without the Oz theme.
    There IS a concept, and it pretty much represents the OP's disruption. However, whether it ever gets developed is another thing altogether.

• -

I'm skeptical about any rumor that someone says comes from "reliable sources" yet they don't name those sources or provide any means of verification.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I agree with most people on here. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Imagineering developed a concept for an Oz attraction before the movie opened, but it doesn't seem like it was a huge success for Disney, so I'm guessing the concept will just get shelved, and then reused someday but without the Oz theme.

Im surprised people keep saying the movie was not a huge success especially since not only did the movie do almost 1/2 a billion this does not include money from video and television rights but they are also developing a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by jose92397 View Post
    I'm very confused about this whole Wizard of Oz situation happening between Warner Bros. and Disney could someone enlighten me a little. Would the whole situation affect Disney in any way trying to add a Oz themed land in Disneyland or in their other Parks? I would like to see Oz in the parks because I liked the movie.
    WB owns the rights to the original movie and its characters so Disney is not allowed to make them look like anything from the first movie. WB also owns the rights to the ruby slippers so if Disney brought the slippers into a future sequel then they can not be ruby slippers but maybe be more like the book which were silver. The book is under public domain so no issues there

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast