Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Question Oz Land and Attraction Planned for Disneyland(Merged)

I saw a rumor on a Disneyland Fan Facebook page and thought I'd come here to see if anyone has heard anything.

It's about an "Oz Land and Attraction Planned for Disneyland". Here's the link to the post, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

The author of the facebook post writes this: "DbM has it from reliable sources that our friends at Imagineering are finishing up concept and show design for an Oz land (or area) and Oz attraction based on the movie Oz the Great and Powerful. It will be located where “Big Thunder Ranch” now stands. An alternate location was at the old Motor Boat Cruise next to it’s a small world, but fire-safety issues with the monorail precluded it. It is anticipated that the area will have one E-ticket ride and two C-ticket attractions. A restaurant similar to the Magic Kingdom’s “Be My Guest” but placed in the Emerald City, and an Munchkinland themed retail store will also be included. Show elements will include a hot air balloon, tornado effects, giant bubbles, and Dark Queen Evanora’s army of Winkies and flying baboons. Word is that China Doll will be featured in the ride. The final attraction mix will be decided shortly and DbM expects that the announcement about Oz land will be made at D23."

Thoughts??

• Monorail Junkie

re: Oz Land and Attraction Planned for Disneyland(Merged)

This is a rumor that has been floating around for many months. I would leave it as just that, a rumor. I dont think that the movie did all that well to have a land named after it.

As with all things Disney related.... a rumor is a rumor until official word comes out and they start breaking ground.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

I actually agree. If another attraction goes in I'd much rather see something original. I just wasn't sure if this rumor had hit MiceChat.

• Down Pluto!

Extremely unlikely for a multitude of reasons. The only believable thing in it is that it is based on yet another movie, which is all Disney can do these days...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Hi, I'm a first time poster. I created this account because I have something to say that I've been wanting to say for a while. I was lucky enough to visit Imagineering, and I got to go inside the room where they keep all the busts of animatronics and the original marble Snow White statues from the grotto. In there, they actually do keep busts of Wizard of Oz characters. Note, these busts are not from the new movie, but the original. Now, I don't know if they're actually going to make a ride, but I know that they at least have plans relating to Wizard of Oz. You don't have to believe me, but I'm just reporting what I saw.

Having these busts mean that they have plans to make them into animatronic characters.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Hi, I'm a first time poster. I created this account because I have something to say that I've been wanting to say for a while. I was lucky enough to visit Imagineering, and I got to go inside the room where they keep all the busts of animatronics and the original marble Snow White statues from the grotto. In there, they actually do keep busts of Wizard of Oz characters. Note, these busts are not from the new movie, but the original. Now, I don't know if they're actually going to make a ride, but I know that they at least have plans relating to Wizard of Oz. You don't have to believe me, but I'm just reporting what I saw.

Having these busts mean that they have plans to make them into animatronic characters.
    This may or may not be true regarding anything "new" - they could be leftovers from the Great Movie Ride, there's a Wizard of Oz section in it (actually this is what I strongly suspect).

There's no guarantee that they'll push for a ride. I'd suspect that the rumor is blue sky from before OTGAP released. I would VERY strongly suspect any actual decision or further work would be delayed until more is decided on the *sigh* inevitable sequel.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

I got inside Imagineering as part of a group. I have a picture of the group in that bust room, but I'm hesitant to post it because I have no idea if I can get in trouble or not for talking about what I saw. They specifically said we weren't allowed to talk about what we saw.

they could be leftovers from the Great Movie Ride
    That may be true, but everything in there seemed to be specific to Disneyland. Everything from Splash Mountain to Small World.

• Singing Drinker

I don't doubt the existence of the busts - as noted, there's an Oz section from the classic version on the Great Movie Ride in Orlando. It would make sense for there to be artifacts, and it would even make sense for them to be on the surface layer of items being displayed just in case they were called on to do work for any Oz-related projects given the recent release of Disney's "prequel".

I just doubt they're to do with a serious, active push for a new attraction.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Former Churro Jockey

I agree with most people on here. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Imagineering developed a concept for an Oz attraction before the movie opened, but it doesn't seem like it was a huge success for Disney, so I'm guessing the concept will just get shelved, and then reused someday but without the Oz theme.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

The tour I went on was really interesting. To get into the bust room, we had to walk through the area where they make the concepts for rides out of styrofoam. There was also a really big black, yet compact, coaster concept they had that looked like it was for indoors. But yes, I suppose the busts could have been for the Great Movie Ride.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I agree with most people on here. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Imagineering developed a concept for an Oz attraction before the movie opened, but it doesn't seem like it was a huge success for Disney, so I'm guessing the concept will just get shelved, and then reused someday but without the Oz theme.
    $500 million box office I called that a success!

As far as Oz goes i'm skeptical but I love the idea that something new might go there. To me that area needed to be land a long time , to this day I have never been there and have no intention, until I see a new land. to me the current space is what I consider dead space! At $92 a pop I expect every space to be filled with an attraction or show, but of course until this comes to fruition I can't judge a land until I personally experience it, a lot of people said the same thing about Cars Land and look at the success , to this day OP don't like certain movies but love the lands!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DCAfanatic; 07-17-2013 at 01:32 PM.

I'm very confused about this whole Wizard of Oz situation happening between Warner Bros. and Disney could someone enlighten me a little. Would the whole situation affect Disney in any way trying to add a Oz themed land in Disneyland or in their other Parks? I would like to see Oz in the parks because I liked the movie.

• Banned User

You know I actually just saw this movie last night and thought it was great. I also noticed it did very well financially. Disney would be dumb not to build an Oz land. Please include attractions/references to Return to oz which is still my favorite Disney movie!

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast