Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Unhelpful User

Have recent DLR attractions become more USH type style attractions the last 15 years?

Meaning they are popular for the first few years , but after that period ends the magic leaves and don't have a cult following like POTC and HM as examples.

Is that what Disneyland is becoming , I certainly hope not!

These type of things only happened in USH, for example attractions BTTF and The Terminator!

share your thoughts , and remember I'm only talking about the last 15 years!

• Singing Drinker

Re: Have recent DLR attractions become more USH type style attractions the last 15 ye

Scratch that, reverse it.

Universal is becoming much closer to the Disney ideals. Transformers is a tour de force - it is *absolutely* my favorite ride, and I went on the ride against my will to begin with (I hate Michael Bay). The detail in the queue - even to the extent of a lighter themed exterior overflow queue - combined with the exquisite decor within the ride itself make it an incredible experience. Wizarding World is that level of attention on a "land" scale.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Unhelpful User

Re: Have recent DLR attractions become more USH type style attractions the last 15 ye

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Scratch that, reverse it.

Universal is becoming much closer to the Disney ideals. Transformers is a tour de force - it is *absolutely* my favorite ride, and I went on the ride against my will to begin with (I hate Michael Bay). The detail in the queue - even to the extent of a lighter themed exterior overflow queue - combined with the exquisite decor within the ride itself make it an incredible experience. Wizarding World is that level of attention on a "land" scale.
    So Is USH hiring ex WDI? , because the way you mention detail is Disneyesque!

• Singing Drinker

Knott's got Oiumett and look what's happened there.

Disney has IMO been taking it's creative side for granted, forcing *many* longterm staff (imagineers, productions staff etc.) out, rehiring them for single job contracts. The economics of the situation almost demand the talent disperse to other agencies.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Former Churro Jockey

A good ride is a good ride, it doesn't matter if it's based on a good or bad movie. I hated Transformers and enjoyed the ride at USH, and lots of people like Winnie the Pooh but don't care for the ride at DL. Let's look at the new rides the past 15 years:

1. DCA - the original Disney rides were outstanding with the one big exception of Superstar Limo. But Soarin over California is many peoples (mine included) favorite ride at DL. California Screamin is a great, fun roller coaster. I enjoyed Golden Dreams, and I like the Art of Animation. The problem with things like Mulhulland Madness, the Orange Stinger, etc. wasn't Disney's lack of imagination so much as it was them being super cheap. Bug's Life was fine and the tortilla and bread factory were surprisingly interesting.

2. Winnie the Pooh - speaking of Pooh, this is an okay ride, but the problem is that there is a significantly better ride that was built before this at WDW

3. Tower - ditto, although our Tower is pretty darn good too, even though there is an older and better one in Florida

4. Bug's Land - never even walked through it until last year, but my understanding is that kids like it. Disney built it as a quick fix and maybe because of that people have somewhat low expectations, but it seems to have exceeded those. Yes it wasn't expensive compared to a roller coaster, but it fills a need and is easily avoided if you're not interested.

5. Toy Story Mania - exceptionally well done, and still has 90 minute waits more than 5 years later. A home run by Disney.

6. Monsters Inc - kind of disjointed and has a cheesy looking facade. It feels like Disney wasn't really trying on this one.

7. Star Tours 2.0 - another home run, wildly successful and breathed new life into a stale ride that is going to keep it around for easily another decade or more

8. World of Color - I personally don't care for it, but it is very popular and a lot of people like it, so I'll say another home run.

Obviously Cars Land is an enormous success, so when you look back Disney had some hits and some misses, but the hits were exceptional. The one glaring thing is that most of it is for DCA, and Disneyland hasn't had anything truly brand new since Indiana Jones in 1995 (other then Rocket Rods). I think going forward Disneyland needs probably two awesome new rides this decade, and DCA is probably okay on e-ticket rides for now, so they just need to continue with the cosmetic changes.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    A good ride is a good ride, it doesn't matter if it's based on a good or bad movie. I hated Transformers and enjoyed the ride at USH, and lots of people like Winnie the Pooh but don't care for the ride at DL. Let's look at the new rides the past 15 years:

1. DCA - the original Disney rides were outstanding with the one big exception of Superstar Limo. But Soarin over California is many peoples (mine included) favorite ride at DL. California Screamin is a great, fun roller coaster. I enjoyed Golden Dreams, and I like the Art of Animation. The problem with things like Mulhulland Madness, the Orange Stinger, etc. wasn't Disney's lack of imagination so much as it was them being super cheap. Bug's Life was fine and the tortilla and bread factory were surprisingly interesting.

2. Winnie the Pooh - speaking of Pooh, this is an okay ride, but the problem is that there is a significantly better ride that was built before this at WDW

3. Tower - ditto, although our Tower is pretty darn good too, even though there is an older and better one in Florida

4. Bug's Land - never even walked through it until last year, but my understanding is that kids like it. Disney built it as a quick fix and maybe because of that people have somewhat low expectations, but it seems to have exceeded those. Yes it wasn't expensive compared to a roller coaster, but it fills a need and is easily avoided if you're not interested.

5. Toy Story Mania - exceptionally well done, and still has 90 minute waits more than 5 years later. A home run by Disney.

6. Monsters Inc - kind of disjointed and has a cheesy looking facade. It feels like Disney wasn't really trying on this one.

7. Star Tours 2.0 - another home run, wildly successful and breathed new life into a stale ride that is going to keep it around for easily another decade or more

8. World of Color - I personally don't care for it, but it is very popular and a lot of people like it, so I'll say another home run.

Obviously Cars Land is an enormous success, so when you look back Disney had some hits and some misses, but the hits were exceptional. The one glaring thing is that most of it is for DCA, and Disneyland hasn't had anything truly brand new since Indiana Jones in 1995 (other then Rocket Rods). I think going forward Disneyland needs probably two awesome new rides this decade, and DCA is probably okay on e-ticket rides for now, so they just need to continue with the cosmetic changes.
    Big D, but it all seems that TDA focus is on DCA the next several rears with Monstropolis and New Soarin! I don't see disneyland at all in TDA future don't you think!

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    So Is USH hiring ex WDI? , because the way you mention detail is Disneyesque!

Yes.

They have been hiring ex Imagineers that left the Disney company due to layoffs or politics since the 80's. The team that built IOA was mostly made up of ex Imagineers.

A lot of people that work for Universal Creative or Universal Parks and Resorts today got their start at Disney.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    Yes.

They have been hiring ex Imagineers that left the Disney company due to layoffs or politics since the 80's. The team that built IOA was mostly made up of ex Imagineers.

A lot of people that work for Universal Creative or Universal Parks and Resorts today got their start at Disney.
    No way , I don't believe it , ex WDI's are not betrayers!
    Last edited by DCAfanatic; 07-17-2013 at 07:37 PM.

• Singing Drinker

No way , I don't believe it , ex WDI's are not traitors!
    I'm hoping that was sarcastic.

I know a few people who were part of that layoff process.

They *LOVED* their jobs. Working for WDI/Disney was a badge of honor. They were absolutely CRUSHED when they found out that department after department were being laid off and all duties subcontracted out. They were even more crushed when the boom finally landed on them.

Were they supposed to take their VERY specific skillsets and put them on the shelves?

Disney told them to get bent and be grateful for occasional part time contract work.

Why would you expect them to have any loyalty? How are they supposed to pay mortgages, raise children, have a life?

• Former Churro Jockey

Big D, but it all seems that TDA focus is on DCA the next several rears with Monstropolis and New Soarin! I don't see disneyland at all in TDA future don't you think!
    We'll see. Monstropolis hasn't been confirmed yet and the new Soarin isn't so expensive that they can't do anything else that same year. There are just as many rumors about a new new new Tomorrowland as there are about Monstropolis, so I'm assuming that means that it is obvious to some people in charge that Disneyland is being neglected and needs some love.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

Traitors? I quite like how the Imagineer's talent is being spread to companies that are willing to actually use them instead of just having their talents squandered. I mean, look at the Wizarding World of Harry potter! That place is amazing!

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Former Churro Jockey

You're being sarcastic, right? Disney FIRED them!
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

•   
    • Minion

I had lunch with an imagineer shortly after WWoHP opened he confirmed that the whole team that brought WWoHP to life were ex-imangineers from Disney. He all but said they were showed the door in the most PC way possible.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    We'll see. Monstropolis hasn't been confirmed yet and the new Soarin isn't so expensive that they can't do anything else that same year. There are just as many rumors about a new new new Tomorrowland as there are about Monstropolis, so I'm assuming that means that it is obvious to some people in charge that Disneyland is being neglected and needs some love.
    Don't you think Al Lutz is a good source!

Don't you think Al Lutz is a good source!
    Al Lutz no longer writes for MiceChat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast