Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Does having an Annual Pass ruin the experience?

Quote Originally Posted by MTaylo050 View Post

I have savored every moment at Disneyland because I know it will be a while before I get to go back.
    Speaking only for myself I'd say the enjoyment of vacationing at Disneyland is always better after a long absence....the longer the absence the greater the enjoyment.

But, that's just me and let's face it......even a boring, routine-like day at Disneyland beats the heck out of a day in front of a TV playing video games or watching Jerry Springer

---------------

PS. If you move to where you like to vacation, guess where you will be spending your future vacations (if you said "at your in-laws", go to the front of the class )

this is all imho and ymmv
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Re: Does having and Annual Pass ruin the experience?

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    This was my first year with an AP, but I'm out of state so don't go as frequently as most local APs. That being said, I have never been more in love with the parks! Having an AP allowed me to really explore the properties, find hidden things, take the time to soak in the atmosphere, and just really learn to appreciate everything instead of rushing around trying to fit it all in.

I think it all depends on what you're looking to do, and what everyone's attitude is. As with everything in life, it is what you make of it!
    Also from out of state (101 and Camelback Arizona Represent!). We had annual passes for the last 6 or so years (Premium the past three). I don't think we ever got bored going six times a year for two or three days. However, we did not renew in May because we just got sick of the crowds and decided that we would take at least a year off. We are hanging tough with that plan and might make it two years if we decide to go to WDW in June. Don't get me wrong, we still think about going but we want to try to get back the "new car smell" before we go back. Hopefully that will make the crowds that aren't going away less noticeable.

• Singing Drinker

When I went all the time (usually 2-4 days a week), I wouldn't say it "ruined" the experience, but it definitely *changed* the experience.

When I've paid nearly $100 (or had someone give me that equivalent through sign in or what have you), it's almost a job. There's a strong feeling that I've paid x amount per hour, and dammit I'm going to get my money's worth. It's actually a bit stressful to be honest.

APs and frequent visits remove that. Conversations like "Oh, it's a 90 minute wait for the Matterhorn, hey - we haven't done Casey Jr. in FOREVER! LET'S GO!" happen. When I was a lot more frequent I'd have days where I'd just go for a quiet dinner at the Trattoria followed with drinks at the Cove, a quiet wander through the park and then home. The sense of urgency and that I was "wasting" the day just weren't there.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Closed Account

I have had an annual pass off and on my entire life (I'm 32 years old). I could go to Disneyland every Saturday if my health allowed it, and still enjoy it. For me, Disneyland represents being able to leave the reality of the cruel, harsh world behind. It allows me to put aside my disabilities and have a couple hours of fun. When I leave Disneyland, I get the feeling like I have accomplished something. When I'm at Disneyland, I get the feeling like I am home. We do pretty much the same rides every time we are at Disneyland, and they never get old. The only thing that gets tiring is the food and the hot sun when the days start heating up. I could never get tired of Disneyland. As long as I am able to, whether it's walking with a rollator or riding in a wheelchair, I will always visit Disneyland, as the one place where I can fit in and feel like I'm just like everyone else.

I don't think it ruins it for you but the experience is much different than someone who goes once a year or once every 5 years. Before we were AP's, it was truly something to look forward to and we savored every second in the park, making due with whatever lines were present. When we became AP's, at some point we took everything for granted and quite honestly, didn't enjoy every visit to the fullest. And no way would we stand in a line over 30 minutes...ridiculous, I know. We became spoiled by knowing we didn't "have to" do everything on that visit. Now that we no longer have AP's, the anticipation is growing so that time we go back will be that much more special. I equate not having an DL AP to visiting WDW for the first time. It was an incredibly special trip full over once (or twice) in a lifetime memories.

Having an AP doesn't ruin the experience, it enhances it. Like others have said, having the luxury of knowing you can return anytime takes away any pressure of having to do everything on a particular visit.

The "magic" never goes away. Enjoy.

• Not the Fallen

I don't think it does at all. I went at least a dozen times last year, and I felt like I saw something new each time. It's also great, because you don't feel rushed or pressured to get everything done in one day. You can make your own little to-do list for each trip. Also, it's wise to get on the rides during World of Color and the fireworks spectacular. There are hardly any lines, and if you have a preferred ride, you can often stay on 2-3x.

Quote Originally Posted by jan37 View Post
    Having an AP doesn't ruin the experience, it enhances it. Like others have said, having the luxury of knowing you can return anytime takes away any pressure of having to do everything on a particular visit.

The "magic" never goes away. Enjoy.
    I will disagree with that last statement, at least for us. Going so many times in 12 years, the magic definitely went away. Maybe it's still there but we took it for granted and didn't get that "magical" feeling as much. Your mileage may vary.

• Capt without a ship...

Have to agree to what has been said so far - if you pay for a day ticket, or even multi day pass - you feel like you have only so long to get through everything you want - you end up going much earlier in the day, staying much later at night - vs being able to truly take it at your own pace and enjoy the little things you miss because you're trying to hit all the big stuff.

Even busy days arent bad, because you dont feel like you have to fight crowds if you dont want.

Depends on your attitude. And maybe how often you go. Having an AP and being able to go any time allows you to take it (like others have said) at a slower pace if you want. It's ok to spend time watching a show or the zoetrope, without necessarily feeling like you're "wasting" your day. Or how about checking out the windows along Main Street or Buena Vista Street. If you're on a limited time, it's hard to justify those sometimes.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Perhaps for some others the magic might go away or they might feel going so often can ruin it, but I could not disagree more. I've had a Premium Annual Pass every year for the past 13 years, with the exception of 2 years I lived out of CA. Having an Annual Pass is great!

First off, with the Premium you get free parking.. only one that gives you that.. and you get the biggest discounts (15% off sit-down restaurants and 20% off merchandise) and those come in handy a lot, especially if you have kids and will be buying them little gifts over the years, small savings of a couple bucks here and there will add up!

You also get lots of perks like the Annual Passholder magazine, often you can get first dibs on attending special events at the park or seeing special exhibits before they open to the general public, etc.

And being able to go a lot not only means you are able to experience Disneyland in all the different seasons, but being able to spend more time there means that you are able to have those lazy Sunday afternoons at the park where you can take an extra long lunch at the Carnation Cafe and people watch on Main Street or you can spend more time exploring other parts of the resort and leave the park a little early to catch a drink at the Tiki bar in the Disneyland Hotel while exploring the property, or you may find your casual exploring of the park leads you to discover new areas that you never even new existed before. For instance, in all my years I hardly ever ate at the Harbor Gallery near Splash and never sat there to eat, but on my last trip with some family we ate there and I discovered that there is a whole dock that wraps around it where you can sit and see them prep the Columbia for Fantasmic! and walk around and watch folks on Splash as they come around after the drop. So there are always new things to discover, even if those new things are quite old!
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

AP Problem Caused Complications & Eventually Led to a Tense & Sour Evening w/ Friends

^ This entirely.

Look, I love my Premium Annual Pass. All those perks like going whenever you want, free parking, 20% discount off of food and merchandise, it's wonderful! But...man, that bad memory still resonates in my brain. I would still buy the AP's, but I just don't want to experience this ever again...EVER!

And you know what the worst part about it was? I forgot to post it in the thread, but when I contacted them they said (Cliff Notes version) "It's a common problem in our system and we are doing our best to solve it. We are terribly sorry for what happened to your party because of it." And that was it...

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MTaylo050 View Post
    However when I really think about it I have to wonder, would going to the park so often ruin the magic?
    It would for me.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

We had this same concern when we bought our passes in January. But it turns out that each visit seems to build momentum for the next. We never run out of things to do or see. We have never once felt bored. Exhausted, yes, but never bored. If anything, the APs have improved our experiences because we dont feel a need to fit all of our limited enjoyment into one trip. Example, we would have never bought admission tix in July. Im way too afraid of crowds & heat. But since our APs paid themselves off five months ago, this trip was only gas, hotel, & food. We went and it was wonderful. All thanks to our APs.

• Selfie Expert

I would have never come up with the To Do List that's linked in my signature if I weren't an AP. It has lots of examples of things I wouldn't normally do on a rushed, once a year trip, but things that I do take the time to try and seek out on my AP.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast