Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Does having and Annual Pass ruin the experience?

I feel like the entire vacation experience compared to the annual pass daily experience are ever so slightly different. It's up to you which you'd like to experience, would you like the festivity of having the hotel with the family and pounding off these huge, exciting days at disneyland? Or would you rather have some added benefits, on some weekly, magical visits that you can casually enjoy? It's up to you and your family! I think either experience would be incredible.

Re: Does having an Annual Pass ruin the experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Not to get too sappy or overly dramatic, but instead of being a fantasy world it feels more like going home when the world outside is chaotic and messy and home is the way things should be.
    This is perfect. The magic is a bit different. The first few times you go, the entire park is filled with wonder and excitement. There are new things around every corner. When you have an AP, it feels more like going home. It is still magical and worth it (for me and my wife at least) many times over. It's hard to beat a nice, relaxing morning having breakfast somewhere in the park or taking a break and people watching in the park... Things may not be new, but they are like a nice fluffly pillow that you have had for a while. Its still an amazing pillow but now it is more comfortable than when you first got it

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The very existence of this thread >> What is a better wake up drink at Disneyland? Coffee, tea, soda, or nothing at all? must make one wonder.......who needs a "wake-up-drink" at Disneyland more; the first time visitor or the local who can't remember the last Sunday she didn't visit the Mouse?
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Helping build Tomorrow

At the core of it, even as a local passholder, every visit has a different purpose for me:

• See a new thing - Maybe it's the summer and there's a new attraction, or maybe there's just a sign that's changed somewhere in the park.
    • Go for Dinner - I do this less now - but sometimes I just go to the resort for Dinner. Especially in the summer when it's open until Midnight every night.
    • Meet up with Friends - I'll fully admit it, I don't think I would be an Annual Passholder if it wasn't for my other friends that went to the park.
    • Sunday MiceChat Meets - Talking, lunch, new people to meet and lots of stories to share. The Sunday meets are a major part of my world as an APer. There's lots of other social groups as well.

I went last night, for example - to get The Optimist clues that they had placed in the park - and had dinner.
    -Monorail Man

• Down Pluto!

I would ask - Does NOT having an Annual Pass ruin the experience?

For us - the 15th consecutive full day of attendance is just as magical. Your mileage may vary.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Depends on your level of love for the House of Mouse. If I lived closer than AZ, I would be there all the time. My grown daughter and I do have premium APs, and have had them for over 10 years. My 21-year-old son has outgrown DL, but his sister (like me) never will. And I love going alone for a long weekend. Totally agree with the "home" and "comfy pillow" images. There are lots of places I love to go, and places I still want to see. But DL is a place I can go and relax. Sounds odd, I know. But we are old pros at getting around, using FastPass, and knowing how to see and do what we want. It's nice to be able to visit and not stress over a particular attraction or activity. However, on our most recent visit, we spent a few days perfecting our plan for the Racers.......

For those who are less DL-obsessed, an AP might lead to boredom or a feeling of going through the motions of having fun. All depends on how you view a visit. I do love looking at the details, talking to cast members, people-watching - all with the feeling that if I don't do something this trip, there's always next time.

The main thing is to have a good time, whether it's twice a week, or twice in a lifetime.

• Minion

I think the key is to go when you really want to, and not just go because you have an AP. We plan our trips, get a budget and go. We can walk slower and ride rides that we want to ride. My daughter would love to go once a week, but we have other places to visit too.

I'd agree with most of what has been written here. That being said, these are some things I noticed since becoming a passholder at the beginning of this year:

* I rode Pirates and Haunted Mansion during my first two visits this year, but I found I just didn't want to ride them lately. They used to be part of our must-ride list for every visit to Disneyland, but I felt like I'd rather wait a few more months to ride them, even when the lines were walk-on.

* Then again, I would ride attractions like Star Tours or the Matterhorn on every visit as long as the line wasn't too long, usually early in the day, or by using a FastPass.

* I found my tolerance for waiting in a long line has gone down considerably when I visit with my pass, especially when I visit solo.

For example, the past few visits, I've wanted to ride the Storybook Canal Boats, but the ride typically doesn't open until an hour after park opening. By the time I come back, it's usually a 20 minute + wait, and I'm not willing to wait that long, so I choose not to ride. It's the same with the dark rides in Fantasyland--rode them a few months ago, not willing to wait in a long line.

* If something new opens that I like a lot, e.g. the new Mickey and the Magic Map show in Fantasyland, I will see it on every visit if I can.

* I like photography a lot (even if I'm not especially skilled), so I have the luxury of spending as much time as I like taking photos, which I could never do on a once-in-a-year trip with the family.

* Although the Disney Gallery no longer exists in its former form, it was a great place to look at artwork from Disney Imagineering. You rarely saw more than a handful of people inside (perhaps why Disney closed it in a chain reaction of closures starting with the new Starbucks store), and the Cast Members working there and next door in the preshow for the Lincoln show were especially knowledgeable. There is something similar at DCA now at the Blue Sky Cellar near the entrance to Bug's Land.

* I found it's fun to talk to cast members about changes going on in the parks, refurbishments, the history of the parks, etc. I never found I had something to talk about with cast members during once-a-year trips.

• Banned User

It makes me appreciate being there more. I have a great time, because I can take my time. No rushing, no hurrying. Just do something a little different each trip. Whatever you want to do.

• Minion

NO WAY it never gets old!!!!!

• Minion

ORWEN: Us cauldron girls never get tired of going to the Disney theme parks because we have so many friends who live there to get caught up with all the time. The Mad Hatter always has something new and crazy to say. Peter Pan always has a new warning against the dangers of growing up. We never get tired of seeing one of Princess Aurora's sweet smiles. And Mickey Mouse always has a much needed hug for us!!!
    Last edited by Witches of Morva; 07-21-2013 at 03:25 PM.

• Minion

ORGOCH: Well, I don't mind goin' ta the parks so much. It's who I always git stuck goin' WITH that ruins the magic fer me! Ya all ain't got no idea how humiliatin' it is ta do Dizzyland with two loser sisters like mine! If one ain't feedin' her big, fat face all the time, the other one's temptin' ta git herself arrested by actin' like a hussy right there in the middle a Main Street USA!! I'm surprised she ain't been banned from the parks fer life, considerin' some a the things she does ta try ta git her fool self picked up!!!

If anything, having an AP and being able to go about every 6-8 weeks or so has just made me appreciate the park more. I never feel like I have to rush when I'm there. I can take time and enjoy the details. If I don't get to do something, there's always next time. I've had an AP since 2008 and I've been to the park over 50 times since then and I'm still figuring out little nuances to the experience and finding new things to do.

• Minion

ORDDU: Considering the constant parade of gorgeous hunks all over the place, how could a witch POSSIBLY get bored with Disneyland even if she went every single day of her exciting life? There's a fresh, handsome face for me to feast my eyes upon at every turn!! My only complaint is that there are so many men and so little time...

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORGOCH: Well, I don't mind goin' ta the parks so much. It's who I always git stuck goin' WITH that ruins the magic fer me! Ya all ain't got no idea how humiliatin' it is ta do Dizzyland with two loser sisters like mine! If one ain't feedin' her big, fat face all the time, the other one's temptin' ta git herself arrested by actin' like a hussy right there in the middle a Main Street USA!! I'm surprised she ain't been banned from the parks fer life, considerin' some a the things she does ta try ta git her fool self picked up!!!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast