Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Does having an Annual Pass ruin the experience?

I spent five days there for our annual California trip in June and honestly, I was ready to leave by then. And I'm still not aching to go back. However, maybe spacing your trips out would mean you would enjoy it more.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    I would ask - Does NOT having an Annual Pass ruin the experience?
    Nope!

Just like not having 15 consecutive Christmas day's in a row doesn't ruin the Christmas experience
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Has anyone had a not-so-great experience as an AP? Since moving to LA last year I've considered it often, and am seriously thinking about it for next year. A good friend of mine had a Premium Pass for a few years and went all the time, especially when she was in Anaheim for work and had a few hours off. She arrived on one random Thursday afternoon to find that the park was at capacity and she couldn't get in, and I'm almost positive that's why she didn't renew her pass this year. Has anyone experienced something similar? I already plan our day trips around making sure we arrive early enough so we aren't turned away at the gate due to large crowds, but spending so much money without a guarantee worries me a bit. Her story is the only time I've ever heard of such a thing happening. Has anyone else had this happen?

• Down Pluto!

The only "bad" experience I've had is days in the middle of our stay where the park closes early for a special event. Has nothing to do with having an AP though...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Workin to live,lovin life

I would say for myself, it didn't kill the magic. I choose to take my time, make every visit different, and I try to never really have a routine when I visit. It keeps things fresh. Having an AP also means I'm not pressured by time constraints other than when I want to leave or when others need to go home.

You have to have the right mentality to keep the magic real with an AP. Sure, absence makes the heart grow fonder in relationships, but variety and keeping an open mind while at DLR goes a long way. I never would have checked out The Storybook Land Boats at sun down if I didn't have an AP. It's a great experience. Mickey and the Magical Map? Definitely not a MUST see, but it was something to check out and I do not regret it. And the Silly Symphony Swings? I originally dismissed them as just a boring carnival ride... but they're actually a great ride at night!

And some trips? Just walking around, people watching, and taking in the atmosphere is magical.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless Abrandon View Post
    And some trips? Just walking around, people watching, and taking in the atmosphere is magical.
    Amen!

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• A Happy Haunt

It actually enhances the magic for me. Allowing me to stroll while others rush, I can absorb the atmosphere while others have their itineraries to check off.
    I can wait in a line, without concern for the next line ( yes, I wait in line too )

I can, if I choose, taste everything, see everything, experience everything... In many trips as opposed to one or two.

that....is magical.

I don't know that I have a negative experience so much by being a passholder, but I did not renew my pass this year. Too expensive, too crowded, too much nickel-and-diming for everything. The feel of the park has changed, and it doesn't feel as special lately.

I'll go back, and probably will rejoin the passholder ranks, but just not now.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

This is an interesting thread. I go to DL about every other year looking forward to the new attractions, and I'll ride favorites more than once. When I went to DL this year, I rode RSR twice, and I had a great time.

When you have an annual pass, how do you guys keep the experience fresh? How much time do you put between visits to keep the parks exciting? I can definitely see going to the parks for a holiday experience such as over Christmas time.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

We are a family of 3 and so sometimes, Dad takes the lead and chooses the day, sometimes Mom, and sometimes the girl. We have gone for the Thanksgiving holiday (no dishes!) when our family and friends have other plans. We like watching the changing seasons in the parks, like catching the ducklings in the spring to the fantastic 4th fireworks, to Halloween and Christmas on Main street. Because we have gone so many times, we can plan out day for our family or just wander around and either way we have a great time. Nothing is a loss and we can go with the flow on any issue, because we know we can come back another time.

For us that is the secret of Annual Passes. Well that and the excitement the girl always gets in the parks, which matches mom and dad's!
    “Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.”

It did change things for me, some for the better, some for the worse.

We are six hours away, and it's awesome to just get the urge, score a hotel deal, and hit the road.

Unfortunately, to go often enough to make our passes worth the money means going on weekends, summer, and school breaks. None of our trips over the past year were as magical as trips when we'd plan all year, take a week off school, and go on the least busy time we could find.

It's almost as if everyone else's APs... well, you know. Our passes expire next month. We are taking the rest of the year off, and won't go again until at least mid year, next year.

• No Disassemble!

Disneyland, to me, is like a drug. When I get the itch I usually feel the need to scratch it within a couple of days. Having the annual pass enables me to handle those cravings.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

My hobby is photography, and there's always something new to watch. Ducklings in the spring. Flowers. The trees. Various window displays. Shows.

Finding new things- the zoetrope in DCA, new songs from the Dapper Dans, new bits in WoC. Spending time in places that I otherwise don't go (Innoventions). New restaurants, or new items on the menu that I haven't tried. Playing with the things in ToonTown.

Most recently, it's become about watching the park change through the seasons. Taking things slowly, not rushing. Taking in what atmosphere there is.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Disneyland History Lover

Quote Originally Posted by MTaylo050 View Post
    For the record I don't think I would move solely to be close to Disneyland, it would be a factor, but the situation would have to be right. We have a lot of friends and extended family in the area so we wouldn't be completely alone.

I'm actually in Canada and am about 1400 miles/20 hours away and I'm not up to my neck in cash, so getting an AP right now wouldn't work.

I would love to explore the park more. Definitely when have gone it is a rush to make sure that we get in as much as we can in the few days we're there. Like I said, I'm sure there is a lot I am missing. Does anyone have any suggestions of things that are easy to miss, or place where I should just slow down and enjoy whats there?
    Having an AP is nice. And you are right that it offers the ability to go when you want and explore each area a bit more thoroughly. You gain a different kind of perspective of the park when you understand its history and purposefully seek out spaces that past attractions occupied. At one point, several years back, I was going about twice a month. Although I wouldn't say it got boring, per se, but it did start losing a bit of the majesty and magic. I no longer live in the area, and even when I last did, I wasn't going to the park more than once every two months or so not couting quick trips to go purchase something after work and such. But I did notice that the fewer and further in between my visits were (especially now), the more I appreciated them.

•   

this is my 1st year with an annual pass and i love it!!! Disneyland helped raised me and has always held a sweetspot in my heart. I live about an hour and a half away and go pretty often and haven't gotten board yet. during the school year i went about once a month lately since its summer I have been going once a week. If anything I personally think having the opportunity to go to Disneyland everyday is a blessing not to many people get and that alone just makes every moment in the parks magical.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast